Akame ga Kill! アカメが斬る! Akame ga Kiru!

Tatsumi is a fighter who, accompanied by his two childhood friends, sets off to the Capital in search of a way to make money to assist his poverty-stricken village. After being separated from his friends, Tatsumi not only fails to enlist in the army, but is swindled out of all his money. He is then taken in by a noble family who offer him help, but intend to torture and kill him, just like they did with his friends and dozens of other people. Tatsumi is rescued by a group of assassins known as Night Raid, and is invited to join their ranks. Composed of the swordswoman Akame, a young woman armed with a huge pair of scissors named Sheele, the string manipulator Lubbock, the armored warrior Bulat, the sniper Mine, the beast fighter Leone and their leader Najenda, a former general of the imperial army, Night Raid is also part of the revolutionary forces assembled to overthrow Prime Minister Honest, who manipulates the infant emperor for his and his men's personal gain, leading the rest of the nation to poverty and strife.

Each member of Night Raid carries one of the "Imperial Arms" (帝具 Teigu?), items created via alchemy and parts of the supernatural Danger Beasts over 900 years ago. Forty-eight of these items were created and about half of them have been lost to history. These items range from weapons like swords and firearms to more utilitarian items including a cosmetic box and armor, and even organic beings such as a shape-shifting dog and a powerful warrior. The Imperial Arms cannot be used by just anyone, as their users must be compatible with them or risk death. The power of most Imperial Arms is so overwhelming that it is said that when two Imperial Arm users fight each other, one is bound to die. Tatsumi and his new friends successfully assassinate some of Honest's most trusted cohorts, while losing Scheele and Bulat to the enemy forces, with Tatsumi inheriting Bulat's Imperial Arm. This leads the Prime Minister to enlist the help of General Esdeath, considered to be the most powerful fighter in the Empire, who assembles her own team of Imperial Arms-wielding assassins, the "Jaegars", to hunt down Night Raid, who gains two new members, the Human-like Imperial Arm Susanoo and the master of disguise Chelsea.

After Night Raid defeats most of the Jaegars while losing Chelsea and Susanoo and the revolution gains momentum, Honest forms a new secret police force, the "Wild Hunt", led by his own son, Syura. However, the Wild Hunt heavily abuses its authority by killing innocent civilians for fun, making enemies of both the Jaegars and Night Raid. After a confrontation between Wild Hunt and the Jaegers, with casualties from both sides, Esdeath is able to blackmail Honest into disbanding the rest of Wild Hunt while Syura is killed by Lubbock after he captures both him and Tatsumi. Lubbock is killed while attempting to escape, and Tatsumi is sentenced to a public execution, but the remaining members of Night Raid attack the execution site to rescue him.
==========================================

Differences in the anime adaptation
The anime series faithfully adapts the plot of the manga until Night Raid's assassination of Borick, at which point several details are changed considerably. Most of the Wild Hunt arc of the manga was skipped over, and the manner of Lubbock and Syura's deaths is completely different.

I really hate how they are changing scenes from the Manga. With the way this is going on, we are definitely going to get an alternative ending. It actually pisses me off! I really enjoyed the Manga and looked forwards to seeing it all adapted perfect. The deaths are happening to fast IMO and I can't get the feels. I can't wait for Ch.54 to come out. Tatsumi's armor finally evolves... Yes!

My favourite characters is probably Lubbock and Wave. I really love Waves personality and I admire Lubbocks bravery... I mean man... getting tortured (getting a testicle crushed, seriously? !) and then literally getting cut-in-half!

I also feel like Esdeath is turning into some Madara carp from Naruto.
I mean freezing time? Seriously? I'll ship Esdeath x Madara.

Any readers out there? I'd say viewers, but I really don't like how the Anime is going so far.
So uhh... the Akame ga Kill manga is going into its final arc. Does anybody read the manga? I feel like I'm the only one. ;_;
My friends literally begged me to try out Akame Ga Kill. Gotta say I was rather disappointed.

The show wasn't overhyped, and my friends were right when they said the animation and fights were cool, but I could not find a way to enjoy the show at all.

There is one scene, in both the anime and manga, at the start of the series where the main character's friend dies in his arms after being HORRIBLY tortured. All in all, I was impressed with the episode thus far, particularly that moment. He then proceeds to cut down the girl responsible without hesitation. And then as he begins to truly mourn his childhood friend, he gets a pair of huge boobs shoved in his face, and is playfully dragged away by his new allies to join their team of assassins. And then that main character playfully freaks out about being unable to bury his friends.

Wut

The show, while beautifully animated in all of its violence and gore, has no clue how to balance tragedy with comedy with action....it just lacks balance.

I am almost sure 90% of people reading this have seen Guardians of the Galaxy (and if you haven't.....well fix that). The movie isn't perfect, but damn it is enjoyable. It has the best balance of comedy and sci-fi thriller without having one aspect of the movie take away from the other. GotG is my current standard and expectation for comedic balance in media.

That is setting the bar extremely high, yes...but Akame Ga Kill doesn't even come close to even getting on the chart. Serious moments are undercut by comedy that doesn't belong in that particular moment.

After watching 3 episodes, and then various chapters of the manga in an attempt to see if the manga shook off the comedic problems in the anime,
I have given up on Akame Ga Kill. I understand that this is a "turn your brain off and enjoy the violence" kind of show, but that isn't why I cant bring myself to enjoy it.
(Jan. 03, 2015  6:14 PM)LeonTempest Wrote: My friends literally begged me to try out Akame Ga Kill. Gotta say I was rather disappointed.

The show wasn't overhyped, and my friends were right when they said the animation and fights were cool, but I could not find a way to enjoy the show at all.

There is one scene, in both the anime and manga, at the start of the series where the main character's friend dies in his arms after being HORRIBLY tortured. All in all, I was impressed with the episode thus far, particularly that moment. He then proceeds to cut down the girl responsible without hesitation. And then as he begins to truly mourn his childhood friend, he gets a pair of huge boobs shoved in his face, and is playfully dragged away by his new allies to join their team of assassins. And then that main character playfully freaks out about being unable to bury his friends.

Wut

The show, while beautifully animated in all of its violence and gore, has no clue how to balance tragedy with comedy with action....it just lacks balance.

I am almost sure 90% of people reading this have seen Guardians of the Galaxy (and if you haven't.....well fix that). The movie isn't perfect, but damn it is enjoyable. It has the best balance of comedy and sci-fi thriller without having one aspect of the movie take away from the other. GotG is my current standard and expectation for comedic balance in media.

That is setting the bar extremely high, yes...but Akame Ga Kill doesn't even come close to even getting on the chart. Serious moments are undercut by comedy that doesn't belong in that particular moment.

After watching 3 episodes, and then various chapters of the manga in an attempt to see if the manga shook off the comedic problems in the anime,
I have given up on Akame Ga Kill. I understand that this is a "turn your brain off and enjoy the violence" kind of show, but that isn't why I cant bring myself to enjoy it.

I some what agree with you I that the show should have had a complete different ending really like you said it is a turn off your Brain anime but they should have made it according to the manga so that it would be much better and also the over kill of the characters was completely unnecessary
This anime was alot better than I thought...The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they killed almost all of the Main Characters except for Akame and Najenda...