WBO Organized Play Updates May 2024: Launch Distance, First Stage Changes & More!

Hello World Bladers!

In this update we will cover a whole host of issues from launching to legal parts to general equipment! Organizers and prospective Organizers are recommended to really read through these additions and use them to their advantage!

• [IMPORTANT] All Formats: Launch Distance Ruling Modified!
  • [IMPORTANT] Organizer's Guide: Separating Participant Number from First Stage Tournament Systems!
  • [IMPORTANT] X Format: Legal Equipment Expanded to Include Hasbro!
  • [IMPORTANT] Metal Fight Limited Format: SP230 Full Unban!
  • [IMPORTANT] Ranked Clauses Guide: Metal Needle Ban Clause!
  • All Format Rulebooks: Recommended Point Values Shown!
  • Organizer's Guide: "BeyStadium Stand" Equipment Recommendation!

All Formats: Launch Distance Ruling Modified

In an effort to reduce potential for stadium damage while not reducing launch options, we have slightly tweaked the age-old launch distance definition. Before this updated the rules for all rulebooks read:

Launching Section Wrote:Bladers must keep their Beyblade within a 30cm/1ft radius from the centerpoint of the BeyStadium floor for the duration of their launch.

Our tweak should bring it closer in line with modern Beyblade rules that the manufacturer has in mind, too:

New Launching Section Wrote:Bladers must keep their Beyblade within 20cm of the Stadium floor/Battle Zone for the duration of the launch.

In Zero-G, Burst, and X, generations with an already defined launch entrance, this will effectively only reduce the acceptable launch height by 10cm, hopefully mitigating potential damage to stadium floors when Beyblades land.

For generations like Metal Fight (Standard), Plastics, and HMS, this change also adds some freedom to launching within reason. The raw distance has been reduced, but the fluidity of your launch angling is greatly improved by no longer being tied to the center point of a stadium.

Organizer's Guide: Separating Participant Number from First Stage Tournament Types
For a long time the World Beyblade Organization has stayed true to its desire to ensure certain First Stage Tournament Types (ex. Round Robin, Swiss) were available only when you had enough people, or enforcing restrictions when you had "too many" people..

In our continued effort to provide Organizer freedom we have simply made our existing chart a standard recommendation for Organizers to follow, and any of the existing First Stage Tournament Types are at your disposal. 

This is our current chart and simple Organizer guideline:

[Image: ew8ezkU.png]

With these now being general recommendations rather than hard limits, this means that Organizers set on doing a 16 player Swiss Format Tournament may do so, or a 20 player Group Round Robin, etc. Club, Round Robin, Group Round Robin, Swiss, Single and Double Elimination are now all options for you to choose from regardless of how many people show up to your next event. 

WBO Organized Play still recommends and favours the standardized chart, and we do ask that Organizer's specify the First Stage Tournament Format in their Event Proposal if they wish to deviate from this standard, but we also hope this helps provide Organizer's with continued freedom to run what they want, how they want.

Please note that this does not change anything about the Final Stage. Both the number of Finalists and Single/Double Elimination requirements remain the same and are tied to the First Stage Tournament Type in use.

X Format: Legal Equipment Expanded to Include Hasbro
With Beyblade X's official worldwide release underway in some parts of the world - or almost underway for most - our X Format Rulebook needed to be updated to ensure Day 1 Hasbro Play is WBO Organized Play Legal. 

Naturally, our Legal Equipment section has been modified to include mention of official Hasbro product as acceptable under WBO Organized Play rules!

Metal Fight Limited Format: SP230 Fully Unbanned!

Perhaps an unusual change to some but after some discussion and realization, it was apparent that the Spike 230 Track was not nearly effective enough or meta-warping to warrant its ban in the Limited Format to begin with.. 

As a result, we will be removing the SP230 unban clause and making it a permanent fixture of the standard Metal Fight Limited ruleset.

Ranked Clauses: Metal Needle Ban Clause!
While one Clause leaves, another joins us. Without getting too ahead of ourselves the Organized Play Team has decided that it would be most appropriate to approach the release of a sharp metal Bit with caution. Unlike the MS tip of the MFB era, which we have a problem with for similar reasons, we are instead making this Bit ban optional rather than the default.

If you want to run the Metal Needle Bit on day 1, you are more than welcome to. If that prospect makes you nervous as an Organizer putting your stadiums on the line, then this Clause should work wonders.

The new Ranked Clause will read as follows:

Ranked Clauses Guide Wrote:#1: Metal Needle Bit Ban

The following Bit may not be used in this tournament: Metal Needle.

We will closely monitor response and reception from all Organizers regarding the Metal Needle Bit's inclusion/exclusion from the X Format as time goes on.

All Rulebooks: WBO Recommended Point Values Shown!

When implementing certain Ranked Clauses that allowed for point freedom we thought it inappropriate to keep our default point values at the top of each rulebook, and instead relegated them to a hyperlink in the sentence below. As it turns out, not only is our WBO Organized Play standardized point value the most played, but also probably most valuable to show newer players a quick and easy understanding of the game. 

Because of this, our default point values are being brought back to each Format Rulebook (and noted as such).

Organizer's Guide: "BeyStadium Stands" Recommended, Section Added!

The Organizer's Guide has been a rather full document that allowed for Organizers of any event size to refer to for procedures, rulings, and responsibilities for some time. For those that attend, you'll realize that an event series like BEYBLADE NORTH tends to tick almost every box there is in terms of recommended Organizer materials because they do tend to be that useful!

To continue to improve that aspect of the Organizer's Guide, and reflect some insight from our more experimental Organizers, we have now included a "BeyStadium Stand" Section. 

It reads as follows:

BeyStadium Stands Wrote:The use of stand-like equipment is recommended to both ensure reduced Beyblade exposure to damaging surfaces, and a standardized play environment for all participants. Ensure that any stand-like piece of equipment is reasonably level, well supported, and has a barrier/wall to reduce the risk of Beyblades flying off. The recommended dimensions to support all stadium types and Beyblade formats for a rectangular stand is 70cm x 50cm x 40cm.

For those of you using barbeque stands and wreath holders, don't worry, this recommended dimension does not disqualify other alternatives that produce the same effect: increased Beyblade security and order. WBO Organized Play will of course still recommend standardization above all, so if you do intend to make things at home instead, try to be precise!

Feedback?
Your input is greatly appreciated If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.
Free my boy sp230 he didn’t do nothin wrong🗣️🗣️🗣️
In terms of the adjustment to the launching section, makes sense will for sure have to look at my current setups for events to try to follow as best as possible.

I think the option for the organizer to choose whatever specific type of event (first stage) is fantastic, especially just relating to personal, but I did not like having to stress every event if 1 person didn’t show up, what event type, etc. This is great freedom to see implemented for the first stage!

Hasbro Day 1 makes perfect sense and is great to see!

Metal Needle, I will be testing Day 1 to see how bad the damage to stadiums is. If I find the damage is really bad, I will likely ban it personally for any stuff I host, but it's amazing to see the clause implemented.

It's pretty insightful stuff for the changes done. I think we have a lot of good quality-of-life stuff leading into Hasbro X that will make WBO stronger for when organizers are hosting during that period.

Thanks to Organized Play for staying on top of things and doing a fantastic job for WBO!
oh boy, i bet no one could have ever seen the metal needle clause coming!!!!!!! lol but yeah if this thing dents a stadium easily i’m not using it
About the stand rule in the organizer guide; I've seen people put the Beyblade stadium in some sort of box or container and put it on a table. Does that count toward a stand?
(May. 16, 2024  4:24 AM)Everfree Wrote: About the stand rule in the organizer guide; I've seen people put the Beyblade stadium in some sort of box or container and put it on a table.   Does that count toward a stand?

No since that is a table, not a stand.
Question: So, from what I heard, some parts were restricted in Japan's tournaments in a way that your opponent is awarded a point for every part used on the list. Do we have intentions of doing the same with WBO tournaments with these parts? While it doesn't entirely ban, it deters use/restricts and evens the playing field for these parts. 

Source: https://beyblade.takaratomy.co.jp/beybla...p2024.html
(May. 19, 2024  2:26 AM)Sky Prince Wrote: Question: So, from what I heard, some parts were restricted in Japan's tournaments in a way that your opponent is awarded a point for every part used on the list. Do we have intentions of doing the same with WBO tournaments with these parts? While it doesn't entirely ban, it deters use/restricts and evens the playing field for these parts. 

This was not quite the right place to post this, but my thoughts:

This was applied to a specific tournament and not B4 wide. It seems like this is them testing the waters.

Personal opinion and only speaking for myself when I say the system is awful. Functionally all this does is make battles go to 2 points rather than 4. It also doesn't mesh well with the fact that this can cause issues with other WBO Ranked Clauses.

Nor has the WBO really adapted previous TT restriction systems (see Hall of Fame). WBO doesn't need to copy everything from the manufacturer, especially if the rule design is awful, or in this case, potentially a one-off.
(May. 19, 2024  8:13 AM)KIO Wrote:
(May. 19, 2024  2:26 AM)Sky Prince Wrote: Question: So, from what I heard, some parts were restricted in Japan's tournaments in a way that your opponent is awarded a point for every part used on the list. Do we have intentions of doing the same with WBO tournaments with these parts? While it doesn't entirely ban, it deters use/restricts and evens the playing field for these parts. 

This was not quite the right place to post this, but my thoughts:

This was applied to a specific tournament and not B4 wide. It seems like this is them testing the waters.

Personal opinion and only speaking for myself when I say the system is awful. Functionally all this does is make battles go to 2 points rather than 4. It also doesn't mesh well with the fact that this can cause issues with other WBO Ranked Clauses.

Nor has the WBO really adapted previous TT restriction systems (see Hall of Fame). WBO doesn't need to copy everything from the manufacturer, especially if the rule design is awful, or in this case, potentially a one-off.

Ahh okay. My bad. Sorry. Thought this was a ruling thread and wanted to see if this was discussed already as a potential consideration to a ruling. But thank you for answering my question. I can rest easy knowing I can still dominate the game with my wizard rod combo. XD