B4's Limited Part Ruling; What's Our General Opinion?

So it's been about a week since B4 has officially announced that on June 15th a tournament will be held with 2 special rulings, one of which mentioning something called the "Limited rule", which is as follows:
Quote:The limited rule is a rule in which the battle starts with the opponent receiving 1 point for each limited part used, and the match is played with the first to get 4 points.
Said limited parts are the following:
Quote:Blades: CobaltDrake, PhoenixWing, WizardRod
Ratchets: 9-60
Bits: (B)all, (O)rb

The actual event has yet to have been held, but discussion has been floating around online with very mixed opinions.(The following is a compilation of some opinions I've seen. This does not represent every opinion held or the opinions of every individual associated with said opinions. Apologies if any side is represented inaccurately.) 

Many are for the ruling, saying that it allows for more variety/less usage of the same parts and is better than flat out banning parts entirely, even with the automatic point disadvantage for those that use the limited parts(with some saying it's fair in that part because of how capable combos using the parts are).
Many other people are heavily against the rule, saying the part selection is odd(notably CobaltDrake, and for some the lack of (H)exa), the giving up of points being unfair, and that the limited parts should simply be banned if they're such a problem(Like with Burst's Hall Of Fame).

I personally am for B4's decision, and I respect the opinions of those who do not like B4's method of restricting part usage this time around for X. However, I want to hear more from you guys; those that are for and are against the ruling. So please feel free to express your feelings about it, as I truly want to know where everyone's coming from on this topic.
Since the current meta seems to be dominated by these builds focused around these parts, I believe this ruling of having limited pieces makes sense. It's a way to balance the game so that those without access to those parts are still able to take part and stand a chance against those "Meta" builds.

On the other hand, I do feel it's an odd selection in the exact parts being governed by this ruling.

I dunno, like I said, I'm for it at the moment as it adds some fairness and balance to the game, just seems a bit off as to what's been selected for this rule.
Will have to see how it plays out in practice as it may require balancing as more parts potentially get added to this list.
(May. 21, 2024  4:17 PM)FuzzNL Wrote: On the other hand, I do feel it's an odd selection in the exact parts being governed by this ruling. 

They held an event in the past mentioning something about a future ruling, so I guess they took the parts that terrorized the most and put them under restriction.
So CD must be fairly common in Japan(which would make sense, less of a hassle to get it there than anywhere else) and H must not be used as much(or B outshined it in performance).
(May. 21, 2024  8:55 PM)RalfBalf Wrote:
(May. 21, 2024  4:17 PM)FuzzNL Wrote: On the other hand, I do feel it's an odd selection in the exact parts being governed by this ruling. 

They held an event in the past mentioning something about a future ruling, so I guess they took the parts that terrorized the most and put them under restriction.
So CD must be fairly common in Japan(which would make sense, less of a hassle to get it there than anywhere else) and H must not be used as much(or B outshined it in performance).

From the footage I've seen of Japanese tournaments, Cobalt Drake is used fairly frequently and often in the line up at least once or twice. 
But yeah, I really hope this list is rotated to match the meta and isn't just going to grow or stay the same as it feels, as previously mentioned, oddly targeted. Haha. 

Either way, I'm still for it if it means there's balancing happening to allow everyone a chance to compete and put up a good fight.
I do agree with the parts they chose to ban, though I’m not sure about orb. If we do end up having B4 as a ranked option that would offer variety. If not doesn’t really matter. It would be best as an optional ranked thing rather than entirely removing, or only using it
(May. 21, 2024  11:19 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I do agree with the parts they chose to ban, though I’m not sure about orb. If we do end up having B4 as a ranked option that would offer variety. If not doesn’t really matter. It would be best as an optional ranked thing rather than entirely removing, or only using it

Just as a reminder - this is not a ban list, it's a limited list. 
Using any of these parts grants your opponent a point within the match. 
So you can still use the parts, you'd just be forfeiting a point. 

As for whether this will be a permanent B4 thing? Possibly? 
As I mentioned previously, they will likely keep it as a permanent thing but make rotations and updates depending on the "meta".
(May. 22, 2024  12:12 AM)FuzzNL Wrote:
(May. 21, 2024  11:19 PM)TheRogueBlader Wrote: I do agree with the parts they chose to ban, though I’m not sure about orb. If we do end up having B4 as a ranked option that would offer variety. If not doesn’t really matter. It would be best as an optional ranked thing rather than entirely removing, or only using it

Just as a reminder - this is not a ban list, it's a limited list. 

As I mentioned previously, they will likely keep it as a permanent thing but make rotations and updates depending on the "meta".
Yeah my bad, wrong word choice. In Japan they will probably keep it permanent but I’m saying in the WBO it would probably be best for it to be optional
(May. 22, 2024  12:38 AM)TheRogueBlader Wrote:
(May. 22, 2024  12:12 AM)FuzzNL Wrote: Just as a reminder - this is not a ban list, it's a limited list. 

Yeah my bad, wrong word choice. In Japan they will probably keep it permanent but I’m saying in the WBO it would probably be best for it to be optional

Oh, yeah! For WBO it will likely be an optional thing. I don't think it'll be made into a core rule for all match types.
Copy pasting my response from another thread:

This was applied to a specific tournament and not B4 wide. It seems like this is them testing the waters.

Personal opinion and only speaking for myself when I say the system is awful. Functionally all this does is make battles go to 2 points rather than 4. It also doesn't mesh well with the fact that this can cause issues with other WBO Ranked Clauses.

Nor has the WBO really adapted previous TT restriction systems (see Hall of Fame). WBO doesn't need to copy everything from the manufacturer, especially if the rule design is awful, or in this case, potentially a one-off.

Remember this is for 1on1 qualifiers too, not the 3on3 matches up the chain. The most popular 1on1 combos consistent primarily of those parts, so this seems to be an attempt to make the parts showings more diverse and reward those who want to use off meta parts.

In practice players will still use their reliable combos, because even if you start with a 0-2 deficit with WizardRod 3-60B, the chance of winning 4-2 against something like HellsScythe 3-60H is probably still high.
I agree, there are some WBO Ranked Clauses that this wouldn't mesh well with and would cause some friction. But there is also space to try it out, just like TT is. Which is why I think if WBO did want to look into trying it, it would purely be an optional clause and not an enforced one. I wouldn't be opposed to this as I think a restricted list could be interesting in some situations and as mentioned earlier, somewhat level the playing field against some of the over used meta comps. However, I would agree with you entirely that just because TT are doing it, doesn't mean that WBO should feel obligated to enforce such restrictions and rulings on their formats.

All in all, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out.. but it's definitely not something I would want to see enforced by any means.

I guess we'll just see how it plays out over in Japan with them trying it out and see what happens. Smile
(May. 22, 2024  3:20 AM)KIO Wrote: Copy pasting my response from another thread:

This was applied to a specific tournament and not B4 wide. It seems like this is them testing the waters.

Personal opinion and only speaking for myself when I say the system is awful. Functionally all this does is make battles go to 2 points rather than 4. It also doesn't mesh well with the fact that this can cause issues with other WBO Ranked Clauses.

Nor has the WBO really adapted previous TT restriction systems (see Hall of Fame). WBO doesn't need to copy everything from the manufacturer, especially if the rule design is awful, or in this case, potentially a one-off.

Remember this is for 1on1 qualifiers too, not the 3on3 matches up the chain. The most popular 1on1 combos consistent primarily of those parts, so this seems to be an attempt to make the parts showings more diverse and reward those who want to use off meta parts.

In practice players will still use their reliable combos, because even if you start with a 0-2 deficit with WizardRod 3-60B, the chance of winning 4-2 against something like HellsScythe 3-60H is probably still high.

Yeah I agree, in my opinion it’d be better to just ban (not a typo) the Wizard Rod layer (maybe PW and CD idk). This format doesn’t really make the meta better, it just makes it more confusing or quicker. If you ban Wizard Rod, you get the option to use all the other good balanced parts like Hellscythe, Unicorn Sting, Hellschain, and Wizard arrow. Lastly, cmon… orb? It’s relevant for sure, but it’s got some pretty big downsides, like tipping randomly and completely dying…
I'm not exactly for it and I'd have to agree with KIO on this. It doesn't make to much sense, and I don't really like the execution of it, It could be good, but it definitely needs some work.
(May. 23, 2024  2:43 AM)lil-iz Wrote:
(May. 22, 2024  3:20 AM)KIO Wrote: Copy pasting my response from another thread:

Yeah I agree, in my opinion it’d be better to just ban (not a typo) the Wizard Rod layer (maybe PW and CD idk). This format doesn’t really make the meta better, it just makes it more confusing or quicker. If you ban Wizard Rod, you get the option to use all the other good balanced parts like Hellscythe, Unicorn Sting, Hellschain, and Wizard arrow. Lastly, cmon… orb? It’s relevant for sure, but it’s got some pretty big downsides, like tipping randomly and completely dying…

Besides, you can literally create a meta combo for only 1 point… how did they forget that Wizard Rod 5-60/70 hexa exists!
(May. 23, 2024  3:12 AM)lil-iz Wrote:
(May. 23, 2024  2:43 AM)lil-iz Wrote: Yeah I agree, in my opinion it’d be better to just ban (not a typo) the Wizard Rod layer (maybe PW and CD idk). This format doesn’t really make the meta better, it just makes it more confusing or quicker. If you ban Wizard Rod, you get the option to use all the other good balanced parts like Hellscythe, Unicorn Sting, Hellschain, and Wizard arrow. Lastly, cmon… orb? It’s relevant for sure, but it’s got some pretty big downsides, like tipping randomly and completely dying…

Besides, you can literally create a meta combo for only 1 point… how did they forget that Wizard Rod 5-60/70 hexa exists!

that's actually a very good point lmao
(May. 23, 2024  2:43 AM)lil-iz Wrote: Yeah I agree, in my opinion it’d be better to just ban (not a typo) the Wizard Rod layer (maybe PW and CD idk). This format doesn’t really make the meta better, it just makes it more confusing or quicker. If you ban Wizard Rod, you get the option to use all the other good balanced parts like Hellscythe, Unicorn Sting, Hellschain, and Wizard arrow. Lastly, cmon… orb? It’s relevant for sure, but it’s got some pretty big downsides, like tipping randomly and completely dying…

To paraphrase what I said earlier in the thread, there was an event predating the one in question(the one in June with the ruling). They most likely took the combos that performed best and added the parts accordingly. If they keep going through with this ruling they’ll probably add more problematic parts like H.

Didn't forget it, it likely just didn't see use. Which makes sense, in 1on1 format you'd want to run the safest combo with the widest matchup spread. So, you're probably unlikely to go up against anything aggressive enough to warrant the defense that Hexa provides, and you'd lose the stamina matchup against WR on O/B.

Besides, I think Hexa as a whole is at it's peak when on WR, solid defense and the best mix of weight + OWD that you can find on a non-aggressive blade means it retains stamina better than any other option. For a defense-oriented bit there's really not much else to use it on that isn't stationary attack, because everything heavy is aggressive; while the blades meant for defense are either too light or too aggressive ("counter-defense").

TL;DR: The blades that work well with Hexa are limited, and attack isn't prevalent enough in 1on1 to warrant sacrificing the raw stamina of O/B for increased defense.
Depending on how players react to this ruleset, I think it's possible that Hexa might see more use, although it's also likely that they might just pivot to running Disk Ball or HN. It'll all depend on what the meta in those tournaments is like, and how popular/common attack is.