Final Fantasy

Woot, first thread! And what better to discuss first than the root of modern RPGs, Final Fantasy. While most people have Final Fantasy VII as their favorite, especially since it's gotten its own Compilation, I honestly prefer Final Fantasy IX. After two whole games of dark themes and emo protagonists, FFIX returns to the series' magical, whimsical, fantastic roots. The story of a simple kidnapping by sky pirates escalates into a continental war, which then escalates into a battle for the fate of two worlds.

Of course, all eyes now are on the upcoming Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy XIII Compilation. Final Fantasy XIII, the first in the series, is the game we all saw the trailer for involving the gunblade-using woman fighting soldiers on top of a speeding train. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is the one with yet another silver-haired emohero who psychokinetically wielded thirteen blades against an entire squad of gun-toting soldiers in the first trailer. Final Fantasy Agito XIII is the mobile game we'll probably never get to play with the group that looks like a bunch of XIII Order rejects, lol.

SO! Let the FF discussion commence!
I own FF8 and FF9, FF10, and also FFT. I played 7 before, but I never beat it sadly. I haven't started 8 yet. I got to the 3rd disc of FF9 though, but somehow when I went back to play it my game was gone and the longest save I had wasn't where I was at so I never beat it either. ); *Games still on his list to beat*

Sadly FFt is the only one I beat. >_> I got stuck on the one main boss dude in 10, I was at the very end too. ><
Final Fantasy I - halfway
Final Fantasy II - tried
Final Fantasy III - beaten
Final Fantasy IV - halfway
Final Fantasy V - beaten three times
Final Fantasy VI - beaten
Final Fantasy VII - beaten four times
Final Fantasy VIII - up to third disc, then game stopped working
Final Fantasy IX - beaten four times
Final Fantasy X - beaten, have entire game in movie format
Final Fantasy X-2 - beaten
Final Fantasy XI - tried
Final Fantasy XII - halfway
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - tried JP version
Final Fantasy Tactics - tried
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - beaten twice
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - beaten
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales - ugh, beaten and sold.
No good FF since IX.
I've never beaten a Final Fantasy game before D:

Edit: Except for Chocobo Racing!
Tamer Brad Wrote:No good FF since IX.
Agreed.
Damn Ichida, you tried like all of them basically. Chocked
I use to own FFX-2 also, but I don't know, I never liked it. I just couldn't get into the game, so I traded it in.

I'm waiting for FFT:Lion War for PSP to come out tomorrow, I've been waiting for it since I heard of it. First though... I need to buy a PSP. xD
I already torrented WotL and tried it. There really is no difference in gameplay, but the cinematics are awesome. Still doesn't make up for the carp gameplay, IMO. Most tactic games let you cancel a move if you haven't acted yet. This one doesn't. Pinching_eyes_2
Ichida Wrote:I already torrented WotL and tried it. There really is no difference in gameplay, but the cinematics are awesome. Still doesn't make up for the carp gameplay, IMO. Most tactic games let you cancel a move if you haven't acted yet. This one doesn't. Pinching_eyes_2

Yeah, just gotta watch making mistakes lol. I never thought it's gameplay was carp though. FFT, IMO, is one of the better tactic games. I've played newer ones for PS2, and I still prefer FFT and old tactic games like Shining Force over them. But that's just me.
I've been playing Jeanne D'Arc recently, and it's much better than you'd think a tactical RPG based on the story of Joan of Arc sounds. XD. The game is SO FRENCH, a frog with a sword in its mouth joins your party.
Haha, that's funny.
I've been wanting to play that game.
Ichida Wrote:I already torrented WotL and tried it. There really is no difference in gameplay, but the cinematics are awesome. Still doesn't make up for the carp gameplay, IMO. Most tactic games let you cancel a move if you haven't acted yet. This one doesn't. >.<

Is this thread bashing Final Fantasy Tactics? Because I won't stand for it.
I'm not bashing the game itself, I'm just saying I like it less than other tactical RPGs.
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Ichida Wrote:I already torrented WotL and tried it. There really is no difference in gameplay, but the cinematics are awesome. Still doesn't make up for the carp gameplay, IMO. Most tactic games let you cancel a move if you haven't acted yet. This one doesn't. Pinching_eyes_2

Is this thread bashing Final Fantasy Tactics? Because I won't stand for it.

I take it you've played the game before and like it Brad?
That's terrible. Get off my board.

Kidding, but I loved that game. Disappointed that FFTA2 sounds like garbage.
XD.

Well, I'm looking forward to FFTA2, especially if there are Wi-Fi features for it. I always wished there was better multiplayer for FFTA, so hopefully Fuketsu no Grimoire will answer that need.
Same.
I never liked the FFT Advance, even though I liked Tactics Ogre I didn't like it. It just didn't have the same FFT feel, to me. As far as I know FFTA2 will use the same battle system so I won't check it out more than likely.
I think FFVII is way overrated. My favorite FF of all time is VIII. I think it is extremely underrated. I never played IX. I would, but my schedule is busy. X was alright, and from then on they went downhill.
I hated VIII, mostly for its Junction System. Too complex and mechanical for a Final Fantasy, even moreso than FFVII.
Ichida Wrote:XD.

Well, I'm looking forward to FFTA2, especially if there are Wi-Fi features for it. I always wished there was better multiplayer for FFTA, so hopefully Fuketsu no Grimoire will answer that need.

What is this obsession everyone has with EVERY GAME having wireless?

Evidently, Mario Party DS is going to have wireless? Fine I guess, but I won't use it much; Mario Party isn't the same without friends with you physically. You can't push people to make them screw up a game or hit them when they beat you or laugh and share food.

Honestly, I think online is KILLING multiplayer.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Honestly, I think online is KILLING multiplayer.

*irony overload*

I love it. My girlfriend just got her DS, so she and I have been gaming a lot together, and we've even been playing JUMP with two of my other American gamer friends. Grin
Tamer Brad Wrote:
Ichida Wrote:XD.

What is this obsession everyone has with EVERY GAME having wireless?

Evidently, Mario Party DS is going to have wireless? Fine I guess, but I won't use it much; Mario Party isn't the same without friends with you physically. You can't push people to make them screw up a game or hit them when they beat you or laugh and share food.

Honestly, I think online is KILLING multiplayer.

I don't have the obsession. I always found games more fun to play with friends physically, but I suppose sometimes you can't do that if your friends aren't into it.
Ichida Wrote:
Tamer Brad Wrote:Honestly, I think online is KILLING multiplayer.

*irony overload*

Please explain how what I said is ironic. I don't see it at all. Just because you can play with MORE people doesn't mean the experience has been improved. Online has turned multiplayer into a faceless experience.
Some games have voice chat, so it's not all bad.
G Wrote:Edit: Except for Chocobo Racing!

Best. Game. Ever. You'd have to play it to know how damn serious I am.