Beyblade X Manga Chapter 1 - Recap and Discussion

The first chapter of the Beyblade X manga released today. I just finished reading it and since the anime won't release for several months (with the dub not coming until next year and an English version of the manga possibly never coming) I thought it might be helpful to share the story details of the manga for those in the community that can't speak Japanese since not everything can be communicated through pictures.

Please buy the digital version of the magazine so that you can view the manga and see the pictures. I will not be sharing photos from the manga due to copyright issues. Please support the series. You can get a digital version from Amazon Japan or other outlets. Amazon Japan will also ship the print version internationally.

[Image: 27987e27f913f21023acd928ecac1530.jpg]

First, all of the Beyblade information for this month is contained in a separate booklet. The first few pages explain the features and details about Beyblade X and preview the BX-01 - BX-04 releases as well as Cobalt Drake which will be a prize beyblade.

Spoilers ahead.

We begin with Ryuguu Chrome - a pro beyblader who is part of team Pen Dragon - battling using Dran Sword. Then it jumps to one month later at the amateur arena where we see our main character battling. He's an amateur blader named Kazami Bird and is part of team Albatross Strikers, he wants to become a pro. He uses a beyblade called Strike Hawk, and we see him lose via an over-finish against someone from team... I'm not sure how to spell this in English. Phalanx? Bird has been training for a month and he's upset by his loss, then the leader of Team Phalanx states that he has been training for 10 years and he uses a special tool to destroy Bird's Beyblade and he states that Bird should give up on his dream of becoming a pro.

We are then shown X City and a view of the X Tower where bladers compete. At the top of the tower is the champion team and every blader aims to get to the top.

Bird's teammates decide to split up the team and tell Bird that he doesn't have the skill to become a pro. Bird is left alone and upset and thinks about how much fun beyblading was, and then he is visited by a strange new character... A mysterious stranger wearing a mask! He states that he wants to form a team together with Bird and shows him his beyblade. Bird recognizes that the beyblade is Dran Sword which belongs to Ryuuguu Chrome and asks why this guy has it. "Eh? Because this is my bey" he replies. Bird scolds him for lying and states that it's a fake but it looks just like it.

The masked stranger states that if Bird wants to become a pro, he doesn't have a choice but to become a team.

Then they head to the amateur arena together. The guy in the mask makes mention of the fact that the amateur arena is very lively today and Bird remarks that it's always like that. "Is it your first time here?" "No, but it's been a while..." At this point Bird finally inquires what this guy's name is to which he replies "Call me Kamen X!" "What? X? Why X?" He walks off saying it's a secret while Bird wonders if he really has to form a team with this guy.

Kamen X says that they should battle someone and Bird replies that he doesn't have a bey. Kamen X is confused and asks why, and at that moment we see Team Phalanx destroying the bey of someone else who just lost to them. Just as Bird raises his finger to point to them and explain what happened, Kamen X challenges them to a battle. Bird tries to explain how bad these guys are, and says that their nickname is the "Rookie Crushers" and that they are pro beybladers. In recent years the level of bladers has been decreasing because of them. They tease Bird and laugh and call him weak. Kamen X laughs too, and says that it's irrelevant if Bird is weak. "Winning isn't the point of beyblade. It's ok if you're weak or if you lack talent. The person who has fun is the winner." Kamen X tells the leader of Team Phalanx - Ishiyama Takumi - that he should quit beyblade. "This brat is interesting. Alright, let's beybattle."

It's Team Persona vs Team Phalanx.

Team Persona:
  • Kamen X (Dran Sword)
  • Kazami Bird (No bey)
Team Phalanx:
  • Sayou Genri (Iron Forest)
  • Ishiyama Takumi (Stone Mont Blanc)
  • Jinnai Bariki (Diamond Nuts)
First is Kamen X vs Genri. During the countdown Kamen X reminds Bird that earlier he asked "Why X?". "Watch closely." From the moment that they launch their beyblades, we already see Genri's bey flying out of the arena. Bird and the crowd of spectators are all shocked. Bird (within his mind) remarks how it was so fast that he couldn't even see it. Takumi destroys Genri's bey for losing and tells him that he should quit pro blading. "Beyblade isn't a game." Kamen X laughs and points out to Bird that Takumi destroyed his own teammates' beyblade. 

Next is Kamen X vs Takumi. They begin the battle and Dran Sword flies in at high speed and goes for the attack but his hits don't have much effect. Stone Mont Blanc is a defense type, and it's very resistant. Takumi states again about how he has been training for 10 years and that this is the strength of a pro. Bird thinks to himself about his month of training and we see a bit of his childhood playing beyblade together with his friends, studying about beyblade building his old bey Strike Hawk. This scene goes through the emotions of what it means to beyblade and what it means to be a beyblader. During this we see that Dran Sword is starting to change it's trajectory and maybe getting weaker. Kamen X gets hyped up and we get a full page with just a speech bubble saying "I'll show you 'X'". Dran Sword attaches it's gears to the stadium rails and then the crowd remarks that it disappeared(?!). "That's not it!" says Bird. It's moving too fast, so we can't see it. 

This is "X"

Kamen X wins the battle thanks to Dran Sword's Xtreme Dash attack. "You actually won against a pro..." says Bird.

Next we see Bird and Kamen X outside of a convenience store. Kamen X bought a tray of sushi and some cans of cola to celebrate their victory. Bird demands to know Kamen X's true identity. He shows a video of Dran Sword on "BeyTube" and says that it's the same bey. Therefore, "Your identity is... Ryuuguu Chrome."

Kamen X takes off his mask and it's not Chrome, but someone else. Bird is embarrassed because he was so confident but turned out to be wrong. But then he realizes, "Aren't you Kurose Ekusu?" (Note: Ekusu sounds like X. It's a pun.)

Ekusu was Chrome's teammate. He made news headlines recently because he quit Team Pen Dragon. Dran Sword is his bey and Chrome was just borrowung it. Ekusu states that the reason why he quit is because there was nobody interesting for him to battle. Then he realized that, actually, there is somebody - Chrome! But they can't battle because they're on the same team. So he quit and intends to start his own team and climb to the top of the X Tower so that he can battle Chrome, and he invites Bird to join him.

"If I join with him, I have a feeling that I can become strong too." - Bird

The chapter ends there and states that it will be continued next month. The final page is a general preview for the series which advertises the BeyTube youtube channel, states that they're preparing for real tournaments all over Japan, and advertises the upcoming anime.

"Next issue, more secrets will be revealed!!"

--

My thoughts:

I think it was a great opening chapter to the series I loved Bakuten Shoot and Metal Fight Beyblade and I was very excited when Burst was first released but I was ultimately disappointed by much of what we received, including the tone of the anime and manga which was a big departure from what we saw with the first two generations of Beyblade. I love that this is a return to form for the series and I think that pushing Beyblade as a sport is doing a huge favor for the story itself. And more specifically, this manga is being done by a handful of mangaka who were highly successful in other series just a few years ago. They know how to write a good story, and the art and character designs are good too. This was a great chapter, and with everything considered I think this will be a huge hit. It might be a bit difficult to understand if you don't live in Japan, but this is the perfect formula right here and I'm very excited to see where they go with this series. This is awesome. The new beyblades themselves are awesome and the battles are very exciting, and I'm so glad that we're getting a genuinely awesome manga and anime to go along with that. I'm very excited to read the next chapter next month, and I'm very hyped for the anime which is coming this autumn.

If there is a demand for these threads, I will continue to give a synopsis and my thoughts every month.
Admittedly, I’m too lazy to write an entire review of the first chapter. But I’ll still do it since I’m Beyblade crazed and it’s a 10/10 chapter.

It’s very unique to see a different format from this series to others. A 3 team battle style. This sound exciting. The characters all seem really cool with Kamen X being my favorite overall. His quick-witted nature mixed with his goofy personality is something I’m fond of. Team Phalanx is also cool as they are seen as adult bullies.

Going back to the 3 team battle style. This could mean more and more occurrences of major character development which I love to see. This could also mean that we won’t be many protagonists rather we will have 3 protagonists that share a path together or take many separate paths.

Team Pendragon could be the final rivals/antagonists of the arc but we will see. The person that caught my attention the most wasn’t Chrome rather the unknown female blader. She’s a no name now but will most likely be revealed very soon in the upcoming chapters.

This marks the first time a Beyblade gets garlic pressed. That is a brutal way to destroy a bey. Reminds me of the spike stadiums in the Burst series. Looks painful.

My only wish is that this manga mixed with the sports factor brings Beyblade mainstream and becomes an even bigger franchise than what it is.

Overall, an amazing chapter to a promising series to a loved franchise.
originalzankye

Like how it was with Burst:

The main story will be in CoroCoro magazine once a month. 

The shorter chapters usually 17 pages or so will be in Bessatsu CoroCoro every other month. Sometimes side story chapters are released in guide books, and a mini book included in main issues of CoroCoro.

Chapter 1 (CoroCoro: June 14, 2023)
Chapter 2 (Bessatsu CoroCoro: Late June 2023)
Chapter 3 (CoroCoro: Mid July 2023)
Chapter 4 (CoroCoro: Mid August 2023)
Chapter 5 (Bessatsu CoroCoro: Late August 2023)

It'll be something like that.

FYI, Bessatsu CoroCoro has digital releases also.
(Jun. 15, 2023  12:53 PM)DranzerX13 Wrote: originalzankye

The shorter chapters usually 17 pages or so will be in Bessatsu CoroCoro every other month. Sometimes side story chapters are released in guide books, and a mini book included in main issues of CoroCoro.

Do you have a source that the second chapter will be in Bessatsu (or any chapter)? The last page of chapter 1 says that it will be continued in the August issue (releases July 15) of CoroCoro.
I do find it weird that there is only one chapter every month.

I usually read mangas like One Piece and One Punch Man that release a chapter even 2 weeks. I do wish chapters release much sooner.

I’m not complaining as Posuka’s illustrations are extremely detailed and great things take time.

Hopefully they alter the scheduling and make it more frequent.
(Jun. 15, 2023  12:53 PM)DranzerX13 Wrote: originalzankye

Did I miss something I didn’t know about chapter 2? Is there a source on it?
While technically the next main chapter won't be out till next CoroCoro issue in July, the tankobon volumes for Metal Fight Beyblade, and Burst have always listed those side chapters as the next main chapter or special chapter. That's how it always has been.

For Beyblade Burst, volume 5 is when it started having chapters from Bessatsu CoroCoro, mini books in main CoroCoro and guide books. I've been a Beyblade anime/manga fan since the Bakuten era, and I highly pay attention to these things.
(Jun. 15, 2023  3:31 PM)DranzerX13 Wrote: While technically the next main chapter won't be out till next CoroCoro issue in July, the tankobon volumes for Metal Fight Beyblade, and Burst have always listed those side chapters as the next main chapter or special chapter. That's how it always has been.

For Beyblade Burst, volume 5 is when it started having chapters from Bessatsu CoroCoro, mini books in main CoroCoro and guide books. I've been a Beyblade anime/manga fan since the Bakuten era, and I highly pay attention to these things.

I did not know that if there's a date closer then let me know pretty exciting to see then if it is that close
There is no source yet if Beyblade X will have side chapters or special chapters, but I'm pretty sure of it. We will see in the next Bessatsu CoroCoro issue.
If Metal Fight and Burst had it, then why not Beyblade X.
Bessatsu Corocoro Comic only has side content, sort of like .5 chapters. While these are relevant to the story, they're never direct follow-ups. All the main chapters will be in Corocoro Comic, meanwhile, an extra fight will be in Bessatsu. Like how the main Comic had the Asahi twins training with Valt and Rantaro at BC Sol, Bessatsu had an extra story at BC Sol featuring Delta at BC Sol.
The tankobon volumes of Burst listed some of the side chapters as main chapter numbers, and some of them as SP or Gaiden chapters.

Here's an example, which I got from a legal source (Shogakukan Asia) with manga previews:

Beyblade Burst Volume 7 table of contents:

[Image: IMG-20230615-145118.jpg]

Chapters 28 and 29 are main numbered chapters but were in Bessatsu CoroCoro. Chapter 30 is 38 pages which you can tell is from normal CoroCoro because the page count is 35+ pages each month.
The bonus manga (the 4 komas) are tankobon exclusive.
(Jun. 15, 2023  10:42 PM)DranzerX13 Wrote: The tankobon volumes of Burst listed some of the side chapters as main chapter numbers, and some of them as SP or Gaiden chapters.

Here's an example, which I got from a legal source (Shogakukan Asia) with manga previews:

Beyblade Burst Volume 7 table of contents:

[Image: IMG-20230615-145118.jpg]

Chapters 28 and 29 are main numbered chapters but were in Bessatsu CoroCoro. Chapter 30 is 38 pages which you can tell is from normal CoroCoro because the page count is 35+ pages each month.
The bonus manga (the 4 komas) are tankobon exclusive.

They are numbered for the volume format, but what I said still applies. Bessatsu Corocoro is home to side content exclusively, extra is actually one of the translations for the word Bessatsu. Because of that, I don't think it's super accurate to act like they're full-on chapters, but it's really just semantics at the end of the day.
The writing and art is excellent. I think it was an excellent choice to split the manga workload and have a writer and artist, rather than 1 person doing both. The first chapter is excellent.
I'm placing my bets that BX-13 is actually Stone Mont Blanc
(Jun. 15, 2023  8:03 AM)Wizard Wrote: We begin with Ryuguu Chrome - a pro beyblader who is part of team Pen Dragon - battling using Dran Sword. Then it jumps to one month later at the amateur arena where 

It's Pendragon, 1 word, like king arthurs last name
(Jun. 16, 2023  3:49 AM)KIO Wrote: The writing and art is excellent. I think it was an excellent choice to split the manga workload and have a writer and artist, rather than 1 person doing both. The first chapter is excellent.

Was Burst the only gen to have only one writer/illustrator or did the Plastic and Metal gen do the same?
(Jun. 16, 2023  8:00 PM)Achilles25 Wrote:
(Jun. 16, 2023  3:49 AM)KIO Wrote: The writing and art is excellent. I think it was an excellent choice to split the manga workload and have a writer and artist, rather than 1 person doing both. The first chapter is excellent.

Was Burst the only gen to have only one writer/illustrator or did the Plastic and Metal gen do the same?

Every gen before had 1 person working on story AND art.
I don't think I've ever been as impressed with the Beyblade manga as I have been with the first chapter of X... story was great, and don't even get me started on the artwork. Very excited to see what's in store with this generation.
(Jun. 16, 2023  9:12 PM)#Fafnir Wrote: I don't think I've ever been as impressed with the Beyblade manga as I have been with the first chapter of X... story was great, and don't even get me started on the artwork. Very excited to see what's in store with this generation.

That's what happens when you hire two of the hottest mangaka from recent history to make your series.