BeyWheelz Anime Side Series

The OP has been updated with the clearer picture Kai-V posted, and another that has clearer colors.

I'm not sure how this will work out; it is hard to get a good plot, climax, resolution etc. in with only 13 episodes. I wonder if each episode will have a different unrelated story.
Well, all I can say is 'Have fun with this one Hasbro!'

Why does that main character look like Yuki?
(Feb. 13, 2012  7:36 PM)Kai-V Wrote: 4D was not popular enough. They could have simply accepted that and made it a shorter season.

Isn't it more popular overseas than in Japan though?

And plus, couldn't the popularity issue be something to do with the fact that the episodes were cut in half? It was one of the top shows before it was cut.
(Feb. 13, 2012  7:03 PM)Bio438 Wrote:
(Feb. 13, 2012  5:05 PM)NanoZero Wrote: A lot of them are pretty much cookie-cutter designs. It's sad, because it's just so obvious that the only reason for this series' existence is to make money.

Even the normal series is purely to make money...
No, you don't understand.

At least with the original series, they try to make it good. It isn't ALL about the money. This one is clearly all about the money.
(Feb. 14, 2012  1:26 AM)Manaphy12342 Wrote: Isn't it more popular overseas than in Japan though?

And plus, couldn't the popularity issue be something to do with the fact that the episodes were cut in half? It was one of the top shows before it was cut.

Slightly more than in Japan, yes.

Also, you have no idea about the popularity of the Metal Fight Beyblade anime in Japan. The ratings were very poor, it was really not one of the top shows. The ratings were probably worse than Bakuten Shoot Beyblade's actually.
Therefore, it was unpopular, and then got cut, not the contrary.
(Feb. 14, 2012  2:27 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Also, you have no idea about the popularity of the Metal Fight Beyblade anime in Japan. The ratings were very poor, it was really not one of the top shows. The ratings were probably worse than Bakuten Shoot Beyblade's actually.
Therefore, it was unpopular, and then got cut, not the contrary.

I thought I read at some point last year that is was "fourth in the ratings, with Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL in fifth". Maybe I was mistaken.
Perhaps that Yu-Gi-Oh! series is even worse than Metal Fight Beyblade, because the latter could barely get 1% of the spectators in Japan, which is definitely worse on average than Bakuten Shoot Beyblade.

Other more popular shows do not have huge percentages either though, it must be noted : something like Bleach could get ten or fifteen percent.
(Feb. 14, 2012  2:12 AM)NanoZero Wrote:
(Feb. 13, 2012  7:03 PM)Bio438 Wrote:
(Feb. 13, 2012  5:05 PM)NanoZero Wrote: A lot of them are pretty much cookie-cutter designs. It's sad, because it's just so obvious that the only reason for this series' existence is to make money.

Even the normal series is purely to make money...
No, you don't understand.

At least with the original series, they try to make it good. It isn't ALL about the money. This one is clearly all about the money.

You're sadly misinformed about the world. It is always all about the money, with childrens' toy and anime series.

You also cannot really make any snap judgements about something that has not started airing yet.
I don't think ratings are too important when it comes to toyetic shows, as long as they're not getting a 0.1% every other episode or something like that. 4D was probably cut in time because Takara simply didn't want to shop around for another place to air B-Daman, and piggybacking off whatever popularity Beyblade has doesn't hurt either.

This BeyWheelz thing sounds interesting, the animation style definitely seems like it'll be inline with that of the Metal saga, so that's a plus for me.
(Feb. 16, 2012  1:27 AM)Zonder Wrote: I don't think ratings are too important when it comes to toyetic shows, as long as they're not getting a 0.1% every other episode or something like that. 4D was probably cut in time because Takara simply didn't want to shop around for another place to air B-Daman, and piggybacking off whatever popularity Beyblade has doesn't hurt either.

It was for all of those reasons. The toys were selling really well, but the anime had very poor ratings, and that "0.1%" is not even far from reality. If the toys could sell without the show, then it was not worth it for TAKARA-TOMY to invest much more than a half episode every week for them. But yes, at the same time, they probably did not want to buy a whole other timeslot for B-Daman, especially since it is beginning and they did not necessarily know how popular it would be.
Hasbro has done this before with production companies. Sometimes, with thier more successful toylines, hasbro and a production company will make a spin off anime that is US exclusive at 1st, but will air later on in Japan. This was done with Zoids, making Zoids Fuzors.

Now the series I just mentioed was around 24 episodes long. The US release was so bad and unpopular, only 13 episodes were aired, which says something as the previous series, New Century Zero and Chaotic Century, were popular at the time. The new animations that were advertised with this anime spin off were nice at times, but very inconsisitant, slopppy and just "wait, what in the hell is going on here"? All in all, BAD.

The series was later re-released in Japan, with all 24 episodes, with some improved animations, but not much. The voice acting in the american release was just terrible as well, and no watchable media was ever released outside of japan.

Now it seems that hasbro has anticipated this easily repeatable failure with this new series of beyblade. the new series itself is only half a normal season of a standard anime, which for Hasbro, is beneficial, as they can still make a decent profit off of this before it drasticly losses popularity, which I swear will happen quickly. Knowing that Beyblade in itself is more popular now than Zoids or the original beyblade was at the time, I am sure this new series will be better than Zoids Fuzors, however dont expect this to be even remotly good.

In conclusion, set your expectations low for this. Think of the worst parts about Beybalde Metal Fusion/Masters, add in new crappier animation and most likely crapier voice acting. That is your speculated new series in the nutshell
First off, a lot of anime is 13 episodes. It's a standard episode order for television since it services 1/4th of the calendar year allowing you a season of coverage. It's not odd.

The reason for the production of the Beywheelz anime, other than the straightforward fact that those involved like money, is that it bumps up the episode order for cycle 3 of the Beyblade Metal ___ franchise. As 4D concludes in Japan this April this leaves Nelvana in a hard spot. They sold the third cycle of Beyblade as a 51 episode order. The problem is there's 26 twenty-two minute episodes, and 25 eleven minute episodes. Editing 2 eleven minute episodes into a single twenty-two minute episode leaves you with an additional 12/13 episodes, bringing up the total episode count to 38/39. That leaves them short of that 51 episode order. This is where the 13 episode Beywheelz anime comes in. Produce that, and voilla you now have 51 twenty-two minute episodes.

You also criticize this series existence based on Hasbro's previous attempts with the Zoid franchise, well there's huge differences between Beywheelz and Zoids. First off, Hasbro has no hand in the actual production of the Beyblade anime series. Hasbro Studios (their entertainment company who produces TV shows, and movies) has absolutely nothing to do with the creative process of Beyblade. Beyblade's produced by Nelvana, TV Tokyo, Takara Tomy, Synergy SP, and Tatsunoko Productions. The only thing Hasbro's probably bringing in with Beywheelz is direct financial support. Story planning, and the rest will likely be handled by the same people who always handle the anime.

Also, having a Beyblade series actually created by Hasbro probably wouldn't be that bad in the terms of television show quality. Hasbro Studios is a critically lauded studio so they produce some great shows. If Hasbro produced a new Beyblade entirely themselves it probably would be a better product. Hasbro doesn't half-carp their own internal shows, and tend to hire a lot of really talented people to direct, write, animate, and act in their shows. I'm not saying Nelvana doesn't, but I doubt the budgets are comparable.

I'm not from the future so I can't tell you if Beywheelz will be measurably worse than your average vanilla Beyblade anime episode. The franchise's TV shows were never high art, and never intended to be so. Yes, the concept is a bit far out, but this is Beyblade after all. Silly concepts is kind of a larger part of the franchise.
(Feb. 16, 2012  6:00 AM)To Wrote: As 4D concludes in Japan this April this leaves Nelvana in a hard spot. They sold the third cycle of Beyblade as a 51 episode order.

They just had to talk with D-Rights and not sell it in advance as a fifty-one-episode show ? There is an expression in French for that : you sell the bear's fur before having killed it.
There's an expression for that in the television business: Standard operating procedure. No one in the business produces a television series on spec. The show concept is "developed" (dreamed up), sold to a channel (with or without a pilot episode in the can), and then the shows themselves are written, shot/illustrated etc., produced and edited.

Anime in the US is kind of bizarre in that (historically) many shows didn't get picked up unless that have at least a full calendar year's worth of episodes. It led to all sorts of weird things like we are seeing here. The most notable in my memory is what Carl Macek did to Macross, Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada: stitched together 3 unrelated series from Japan into a single 85 series. Each show fell short of 52 episodes on its own, so... voilà!
So what, did D-Rights not sell 4D as a fifty-one-episode show too ?
(Feb. 16, 2012  1:21 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Feb. 16, 2012  6:00 AM)To Wrote: As 4D concludes in Japan this April this leaves Nelvana in a hard spot. They sold the third cycle of Beyblade as a 51 episode order.

They just had to talk with D-Rights and not sell it in advance as a fifty-one-episode show ? There is an expression in French for that : you sell the bear's fur before having killed it.

Every other season in this franchise (Bakuten and pre-4D Metal Fight) had 51 half hour episode orders. They likely expected 4D to be the same. It may be that the shake up that happened with episode 27 wasn't something brought to their attention when the show was being sold abroad.

As for your expression, we have that in English; "Don't count your chickens before the eggs hatch".
I'm not sure what to expect from this. On one side, it's like a pointless show with no value because the Metal Fury should be ending after Metal Fury. On the other hand, it could be pretty decent with the "new animation" and maybe it will have good plots. If the latter happens, then that would be a shame to see a good show just die after only a few episodes. Unless Japan is gonna make Zero G 15 minutes long and Hasbro is picking that up too, this is all we'll see of this show.
(Feb. 16, 2012  6:00 AM)To Wrote: First off, a lot of anime is 13 episodes. It's a standard episode order for television since it services 1/4th of the calendar year allowing you a season of coverage. It's not odd.

The reason for the production of the Beywheelz anime, other than the straightforward fact that those involved like money, is that it bumps up the episode order for cycle 3 of the Beyblade Metal ___ franchise. As 4D concludes in Japan this April this leaves Nelvana in a hard spot. They sold the third cycle of Beyblade as a 51 episode order. The problem is there's 26 twenty-two minute episodes, and 25 eleven minute episodes. Editing 2 eleven minute episodes into a single twenty-two minute episode leaves you with an additional 12/13 episodes, bringing up the total episode count to 38/39. That leaves them short of that 51 episode order. This is where the 13 episode Beywheelz anime comes in. Produce that, and voilla you now have 51 twenty-two minute episodes.

You also criticize this series existence based on Hasbro's previous attempts with the Zoid franchise, well there's huge differences between Beywheelz and Zoids. First off, Hasbro has no hand in the actual production of the Beyblade anime series. Hasbro Studios (their entertainment company who produces TV shows, and movies) has absolutely nothing to do with the creative process of Beyblade. Beyblade's produced by Nelvana, TV Tokyo, Takara Tomy, Synergy SP, and Tatsunoko Productions. The only thing Hasbro's probably bringing in with Beywheelz is direct financial support. Story planning, and the rest will likely be handled by the same people who always handle the anime.

Also, having a Beyblade series actually created by Hasbro probably wouldn't be that bad in the terms of television show quality. Hasbro Studios is a critically lauded studio so they produce some great shows. If Hasbro produced a new Beyblade entirely themselves it probably would be a better product. Hasbro doesn't half-carp their own internal shows, and tend to hire a lot of really talented people to direct, write, animate, and act in their shows. I'm not saying Nelvana doesn't, but I doubt the budgets are comparable.

I'm not from the future so I can't tell you if Beywheelz will be measurably worse than your average vanilla Beyblade anime episode. The franchise's TV shows were never high art, and never intended to be so. Yes, the concept is a bit far out, but this is Beyblade after all. Silly concepts is kind of a larger part of the franchise.

Regarding the animes 13 episodes, when I said odd, I ment as compared to Beyblade series in the past. However the remainder of your post explains why thier are only 13, so it is no longer odd.
Well hope there will be ryuga like people in it and also when us it going to be out or released
This video includes a picture with probably all the main characters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQBZtMoNTMQ

[Image: beywheelzpic.png]

A lot of the characters look like copies, such as Madoka, Benkei, Hikaru, Kenta and Kyouya.

The video also has other new pictures.

The BeyWheelz have the same motifs, like Bull, Pegasus, Phoenix and Perseus, but with more of a rough image.
You can just see the originality, haha.

I'm still calling the whole Yuki=Main character thing.
The other characters look so bad ... One even looks like a shorter Tobio.
'New Animation!'

If new=faded out colors straight from the washing machine, then definitely haha. The colors don't look too good at all.
Okay so Nowaguma is some hipster now? I don't get it.
Its not faded. those are drawings in the backround im sure