World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Favorite bands! - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic Forums (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Media (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Media)
+--- Thread: Favorite bands! (/Thread-Favorite-bands)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Favorite bands! - Roan - Jul. 26, 2008

Elaborate.

I just browsed this part of the board and was surprised to find that there isn't already a thread for this. (We have one for Favorite Japanese Bands though)

So anyway, I am of the opinion that you can learn a lot about a person through the music they listen to. Having said that, let's get some favorite bands going on here.

Mine are:

1. Thrice - Without a doubt, this is my favorite band. Sure I go through my spurts with them, but there's something about their music that always has me coming back. They are so multi-faceted and talented, and the four volumes of the Alchemy Index more than prove this. They have truly evolved from a post-hardcore band into something that really resonates with me. I can't recommend them enough.

2. The Smashing Pumpkins - You're probably seeing a pattern by now, but I really love bands that aren't afraid to try new things and risk pissing off their fans in order to further themselves musically. The Smashing Pumpkins are another prime example of this. Nearly every disc they've put out has differed vastly from the last and almost every one of them hasn't failed to wow me, with the only exception being "Machina II: The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music". There's a reason the Pumpkins were the cream of the rock crop back in the 90's: they carp rocked, and they still do. (See: Superchrist/Doomsday Clock/Tarantula)

3. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Another band that is constantly changing and wowing fans with every release. This band more or less single handedly invented the mathcore genre and have continued to evolve and push the boundaries within that space. The amount of technical musicianship here is pretty much the apex of hardcore music.

4. Muse - What can I say? This band simply rocks, and does so by experimenting within the traditional rock formula, adding in electronics and all kinds of other crazyness. Not to mention Matt Bellamy's pretty amazing voice (especially the trademark falsetto!) and his intense guitar solos. This is 70's era arena rock only revamped for the current generation and I couldn't be happier.

5. Dir en grey - I'd be lying if I said they weren't one of my favorite bands. I don't listen to them now as much as I used to, but I still love them and carefully watch everything they do. Of course, "VULGAR" will always have a special place in my musical library as well. Smile

6. The Blood Brothers - Spastic, artsy and totally unpredictable, The Blood Brothers were constant innovators among the post-hardcore genre. Their flamboyance and lack of fear to do something different are probably what made them stick out like a sore thumb, as well as their "spazcore" style. (I have no idea who came up with that, and as ridiculous as it is, it fits.) Unfortunately they broke up late last year.

7. Jaguar Love - I just discovered this band yesterday. It is the new project of former Blood Brothers members Johnny Whitney (vocals, keys) and Cody Votolato (Guitar), as well as the previous drummer of Pretty Girls Make Graves, Jay Clark. They effectively carry on the art rock torch that the Blood Brothers ignited, only in a much more listener friendly way, sans screaming and down tuned guitars. The experimental array of keys (Organs, Wurlitzer, piano, etc.) combined with some wild electronics and Johnny's trademark falsetto croon make for a bouncy set of songs that give off a positive vibe despite the oftentimes disturbing lyrics.

8. Protest the Hero - Forgot to put them on the list and I'm too lazy to type out why I like them right now. Basically they are crazy innovative and their level of complex musicianship amazes me.

So... What are your favorite bands and why?

RE: Favorite bands! - bugturtles - Jul. 26, 2008

It's really hard for me to pick just one super favorite band. So, here's what I listen to.

thespaceflowershow - Filipino ska and reggae band. Their song entitled 'Boogieman' got me hooked on them. Found them accidentally, but I'm glad I did.

Brownman Revival - Another Filipino ska and reggae band, some of their songs are in English or Tagalog, or a mix of the two.

Operation Ivy - Another ska band. However, there's more edge and energy into most songs. Too bad there's only one album, but, they are reborn into the band Rancid, just with a different vocalist I believe.

Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra - A Japanese ska band. They do some covers (like Tetris, Lupin the Third, etc) and have some songs of their own. It's a large band, and I like their sound (along with all the other bands I have listed).

---

As you can tell I really like ska and reggae. lmao

RE: Favorite bands! - Guitar_Legend - Jul. 26, 2008

Thrice - Probably my favorite band. They have completely changed how I look at music. Not only a solid studio band, but I'm tempted to say they are even better live. They have been constantly changing their sound, and unlike most bands, I actually enjoy each and every CD they release, from the older hardcore days to the experimental sound they have become.

Protest the Hero - Crazy band, everything about them is top notch. I've only purchased Fortress, but thats enough for them to be among my favorite bands...it was that good. The vocals are incredible. Rodney is capable of some incredible growls, although that may not be for everyone. The lyrics are just so unique and..epic. Singing about Ghengis Khan and such. Guitar is incredibly complex, both lead and rhythem often doing sweeping and tapping. Hell, even the bass player taps. The drums are also incredible, especially the bass drum.
And to boot, they are just as good live. All the crazy sweeps sound even better in person.

Fall of Troy
Dead and Divine
In Flames
Poison the Well

i'll redo why i listen to them later

RE: Favorite bands! - Bey Brad - Jul. 26, 2008

an cafe ^_________^

RE: Favorite bands! - Roan - Jul. 26, 2008

Bey Brad Wrote:an cafe ^_________^

Serious

RE: Favorite bands! - mdhvdukshsj - Jul. 26, 2008

1. muse

2. radiohead

3. nine inch nails

4. thrice (non screaming)

RE: Favorite bands! - SexyMichael - Jul. 26, 2008

I'm going to list the bands I listen to extensively in half-assed order.

1. Radiohead - Yeah, one of the most influential bands in a long long time. Kid A and Ok Computer are two of the best records of out generation. Amnesiac, Hail and In Rainbows are also phenomenal. Pablo and the Bends are great too, but they don't really compare to the others in my mind. Radiohead is a band that's in a class of it's own. Thom Yorke's solo cd the Eraser is also mind blowing.

Songs: How to Disappear Completely, Paranoid Android, Pyramid Song, Life in a Glass House, There There, Lucky, ect ect

2. the Strokes - Yeah, the Strokes are responsible for the slowly growing acceptance of independent styled music to the mainstream. They did this with Julian's ability to write all good songs(no joke, every single song in the stroke's discography is very very enjoyable to me). In the beginning it was all power chords and feeling, and as the band has gotten older, the complexity has gone up, while still keeping a distinctly strokes sound. What really gets me is that the strokes really show that complexity =/= good song in music. Simple songs can be amazing, technical songs can be amazing, it's art. And Albert's solo stuff is crazy good, the man in the 3-piece suit has major skills.

Songs: Last Nite, Under Control, I Can't Win, Soma, Someday, Ize of the World

3. Bloc Party - Been listening to these guys since silent alarm came out. It was a really strong release. Sharp, spiky, indie style rock that was different that what we were used to hearing. When bands have a 1st release like this, it grabs your attention. When a Weekend in the City came out, I was floored. A more mature bloc appeared with so much heart you can't stop listening to the record. Not to mention that Russel is one of the most creative guitarists I've heard in a long time. Nothing sounds similar, he's got such a distinct style. And he likes his delay pedals. Best b-sides I've ever heard form any band.

Songs- The Once and Future King, Little Thoughts, England, Sunday, Uniform, SRXT

4. Arctic Monkeys - Yeah, hype bands make some appearances on my list. The Arctic Monkeys released Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not in '05. They were hyped to carp in England and with good reason. Every single song on the cd sucks you in, Turner's tongue in cheek lyrics mix with his beaty, quick power chord filled tunes. I listened to this whole cd 3 times a day for like 3 weeks after I picked it up. They're second release was a step up in the writting department, which was to be expected. The slightly darker sound, was still Monkeys and still great. Eagerly awaiting their new disc. Another phenomenal b-sides band.

Songs- Teddy Picker, Florescent Adolescent, Leave Before the Lights Come On, Fake Tales of San Francisco, When the Sund Goes Down, Settle for a Draw

5. Magneta Lane - All girl group from Toronto. Lyrically amazing, and musically fresh, ML are a band I've been following since their first EP. Over 99% of Canada's mainstream artists are garbage (Nickelback, Sum 41, Simple Plan, the list goes on). And since there is almost no underground breakthrough, the Canadian indie scene is really strong. ML is like Nancy Sinatra singing in a Garage band. Their second album is going to be jaw dropping.

Songs- 22, Party Days, Wild Gardens, The Better Plan, Lady Bones, Ugly Socialite

Other Bands I love; (aka too lazy to do a write up)

Broken Social Scene, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Pixies, the Tragically Hip, Death From Above 1979, Metric, Modest Mouse, Hot Hot Heat, Tokyo Police Club, Cold War Kids(high hopes for their new release), Dinosaur Jr., Reverie Sound Review, Foals(pissed at how the album's final mix turned out), Coldplay, the Shins

RE: Favorite bands! - AnnieDuck - Jul. 26, 2008

the clash
malice mizer
versailles
queen

RE: Favorite bands! - Roan - Jul. 27, 2008

AnnieDuck Wrote:the clash
malice mizer
versailles
queen

With the exception of The Clash, seems you have a thing for dudes acting like chicks. (Yes, Freddie Mercury was one of these, if not the originator.)

RE: Favorite bands! - AnnieDuck - Jul. 27, 2008

Honestly, it isn't just that. I also enjoy the music.

However, I won't deny being a very visual person. Also acting like a chick doesn't equal being androgynous and slightly effeminate ffs

RE: Favorite bands! - Roan - Jul. 27, 2008

AnnieDuck Wrote:Honestly, it isn't just that. I also enjoy the music.

However, I won't deny being a very visual person. Also acting like a chick doesn't equal being androgynous and slightly effeminate ffs

It wasn't a slam against you. Just an observation.

I like songs by all of the bands you listed, so yeah. Smile

RE: Favorite bands! - Kazuma - Jul. 27, 2008

Can I List Japanese Bands Cuz Thats All I Listen To?

Well....I Listen To Some Old English Stuff Like....

Smashing Pumpkins
Nirvana
Alice In Chains
And Stuff

If You Want Me To Listen The Japanese Bands I Will...

RE: Favorite bands! - mdhvdukshsj - Jul. 27, 2008

Nero Wrote:Can I List Japanese Bands Cuz Thats All I Listen To?

Well....I Listen To Some Old English Stuff Like....

Smashing Pumpkins
Nirvana
Alice In Chains
And Stuff

If You Want Me To Listen The Japanese Bands I Will...

why wouldnt you be able to post japanese bands, they are you know, bands

sigh

RE: Favorite bands! - Roxas - Jul. 28, 2008

my fav band is likin park
1.likin park
2.aik
3.weird al

RE: Favorite bands! - Nic - Jul. 29, 2008

XJapan. Loudness. And of course, Dir En Grey (although I don't listen to them as much nowadays)

RE: Favorite bands! - Train - Jul. 29, 2008

Anything with Eric Clapton
Queen
Pink Floyd
Sum 41 (I like a lot of their snappy songs I HATED Chuck though)
Billy Talent (Used to be a HUGE fan now I listen every once in awhile)

RE: Favorite bands! - Sega - Jul. 29, 2008

The Prodigy.

Im not quite sure if they're a band or not, I mean they did start out as a rave music group but sorta ventured out into the Band scene kinda but still keeping strong to its Rave day roots.

RE: Favorite bands! - TheGigsMeister - Jul. 29, 2008

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Their songs are energetic and exciting!

The Pillows - Their songs are catchy and i really enjoy listening to them.

Maximum the Hormone - Its great for when you just want some seriously great
rock to listen to.

Billy Talent - Their songs have deep lyrics and are memorable and catchy.

MSI - Their songs are just plain crazy and inventive!

RE: Favorite bands! - Roan - Jul. 30, 2008

I don't know how I forgot them, but definitely add Protest the Hero to my list.

RE: Favorite bands! - Synesthesia - Jul. 30, 2008

Necrophagist
Decrepit Birth
Kagerou
Spawn of Possession
Theory in Practice
Psycroptic
Old Megadeth
Old Metallica

so many more.

Five of the listed bands are technical death metal bands, and seven of them are metal bands, with one J-Rock band being Kagerou.

RE: Favorite bands! - Alice - Jul. 30, 2008

Muse
The Beatles
Katie Melua
Jim Moray
Rammstein
The Carpenters
Porcupine Tree

Muse and The Beatles are my two favourite bands of all time but the rest are in no particular order.

RE: Favorite bands! - Shake.junt95 - Jul. 30, 2008

erm in no order

system of a down all shall parish avenged seven fold divine herasey likin park park way drive cannible corpse paramore cky dragon force behemoth
slipknot(only there new songs) ditrubed 30 seconds to mars job for a cow boy
and suicde silent sorry i like too many

RE: Favorite bands! - Bey Brad - Jul. 30, 2008

darkbladerx200 Wrote:erm in no order

system of a down all shall parish avenged seven fold divine herasey likin park park way drive cannible corpse paramore cky dragon force behemoth

Man, commas.

RE: Favorite bands! - Shake.junt95 - Jul. 30, 2008

Bey Brad Wrote:
darkbladerx200 Wrote:erm in no order

Man, commas.

sorry sorry i just dublr spaced it i wasnt thinking

RE: Favorite bands! - jasonresno - Jul. 31, 2008

The bands I listen to all rotate almost constantly. It just depends on my mood I guess. Some bands I'd label my favorites...I can't even stand listening to some days. Here are the bands I more or less really dig:

taking back sunday, fall out boy, green day, +44, underoath, thrice, dustin kensrue, old all american rejects, sequoya prep school, brand new, deas vail, ice nine kills, the lost prophets, smile empty soul, story of the year, blink 182, the matches, the spill canvas, elotheos, mark hildreth, new found glory, echo screen, saosin, northstar, cassino, learn to fly, the mile after

and more probably.