World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Feb-18-2023: "RYANTHEDRAGON98 Ascends!" "tournament" reports - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: WBO Beyblade Tournaments (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-WBO-Beyblade-Tournaments)
+---- Forum: WBO Tournament Reports (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-WBO-Tournament-Reports)
+---- Thread: Feb-18-2023: "RYANTHEDRAGON98 Ascends!" "tournament" reports (/Thread-Feb-18-2023-RYANTHEDRAGON98-Ascends-tournament-reports)

Feb-18-2023: "RYANTHEDRAGON98 Ascends!" "tournament" reports - DeceasedCrab - Feb. 18, 2023

The following are words I have to say about "RYANTHEDRAGON98 Ascends!", an ranked Burst Standard tournament using 3v3 format.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gGacb8cO4 . This one's upbeat, and perhaps even stressful.

- Today was RYANTHEDRAGON98's birthday. Happy Birthday, Ryan!

- We had 12 participants today, making this a 12 person group round robin. Everyone got to play at least 5 matches. There didn't end up being any tiebreaker matches, thankfully.

- I forgot to bring one of my infrastructure bags with me. Didn't have stadium wipes and other useful items. Drat. Oh well.

- We started around 12:25, and the tournament went until about 2:45. We had to start a little late because one of the newer bladers had fake parts (Thanks again, Amazon, for continually ruining that for everyone) and needed to borrow. We had 2 running beystadiums at any given time. Not many idle beystadiums this time! geetster99 was present but not participating, so he was there entirely to judge. I did some judging, so did Broyeeto.

- The weather was cold outside, but we were indoors. Superstar card gaming is a fine venue. It can comfortably support 12 bladers and a couple of parents, no problem. The real problems arise when you start getting random spectators. Random, coughing, spectators. Seriously parents, you need to leave ALL of your kids at home if any of them are coughing. I hope the rest of you will be okay. I was masked the whole time, no one else was. Also, I could really do without kids and parents listening to loud audio on their phones. If you're not participating, that's fine, look at your phones. But either use headphones or mute. What is wrong with people?

- Burst Standard probably isn't going to have any more releases, and this late version of the format is interesting because the effectiveness of Left Spin in most first stage matches is way less relevant. Only one person ran Vanish today that I saw. Wind and Dynamite are still everywhere. I saw a lot of Guilty, and a couple other layers. A bit of World, although it was only really effective in deck format finals. Broyeeto is a big fan of Ultimate, and No One Else Is. But he uses it well, so, hey, what do we know.

- I went 3-2 today. I was a fool and I brought out a World Drift against Broyeeto. Mistake. That was the only big burst during the tournament, and that cost me. There were a lot of 3-2 matches during the tournament, most matches were very close. And yes, opposite spin is still a pain to judge. As it turns out, now SAME SPIN is also a pain to judge, with lots of ties and near ties! Just... an interesting and terrible new world we live in! 

- Allen Schaffer had some interesting combos for defeating some of the current used combos, but I'm leaving that up to him on whether or not to share that combo. I found it innovative, and honestly a bit surprising, but definitely effective.

- 3-2 isn't enough to make it to the finals when other people in your group go 4-1 (Dragreus111) or 5-0 (Broyeeto). The top two in the other group were CrisisCrusher07 and Kirito1696.

- There were a bunch of matches in the finals where one of the two competitors got a 3-0 or 4-0 lead right away, and then their opponent started making a comeback. It was tense! But it was also deck format so it was a special combination of opposite spin hell and judging difficulties.

- Kirito1696 got 1st place! CrisisCrusher07 2nd. Dragreus111 3rd, and Broyeeto 4th.

- This is the first tournament I recall judging with the rule in place where the beys have to hit the stadium floor before they hit each other, instead of potentially having midair collision, or the match is voided and supposed to be a relaunch. I later dug through the rules and checked this with other people. The rules say a relaunch can be requested if "Contact was made before both Beyblades touch the stadium floor once" but later goes on to say "Bladers cannot shoot their Beyblade onto the opponent's Beyblade mid-air" which kind of makes that seem mandatory. Once again, I have got to say that the people writing the rules don't seem like the people doing the judging. Maybe they are, and just aren't being thorough. I absolutely hate the amount of stuff I have to keep track of in a single match at this point. I have to point my phone camera at the SIDE of the beystadium to watch for contact with the stadium floor before contact, because I'm not going to get a good angle on whether or not they hit ground first otherwise (believe me, it was very open to interpretation in many videos, and still others people's hands blocked the view), then immediately get a higher view containing all the pockets to watch out for potential wall bounces, and then make sure I get a good angle of both beys for the eventual tie determination. Ghastly. A Ghastly Process! I didn't have a strong opinion on sniping, and now I have to deal with even more clumsy rule situations whenever I judge. Awful. I'm betting a lot of people will just completely ignore the "both beys have to touch floor before contact" rules and they will be completely justified in doing so. Congratulations WBO Rules, you've hit the point where people are going to start ignoring rules as they become too much of a pain in the butt. Me, I'll watch for floor before contact, and hate doing so.

- After the tournament ended, some bladers were doing some burst battles, and there was a Catastrophic Guilty break. We're talking snapped in half. I have a picture Crisis sent if he's okay with it being uploaded.

- During the 3rd place match, this exceptionally weird situation happened. According to the rules as written, "A Beyblade is knocked-out when it exits the stadium. Beyblades stuck on an element of a stadium are still considered in-play. Beyblades that bounce back into the stadium after exiting the play area are still considered knocked-out. However, if a Beyblade exits the stadium and bounces back in before touching the opposing Beyblade in any fashion, the battle will continue." How do You think it should've been interpreted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okz_uJrcbPU Do you think that exited the play area? Personally, I see that as Guilty bouncing off the corner, hitting the opposite corner, and not the back wall. If this had been a BB-10, you know it wouldn't have bounced from corner to corner like that, it would've just gone out. The judge for this match did not consider that a KO, and I probably wouldn't have either. Unfortunate that the camera angle on this is the one least able to see if a wall bounce happens on that one pocket.

- I hope the next generation of Beyblade doesn't have covered stadiums or bursts. Bring back Zero-G you cowards!

A good, fun tournament.

RE: Feb-18-2022: "RYANTHEDRAGON98 Ascends!" "tournament" reports - RYANTHEDRAGON98 - Feb. 18, 2023

(Feb. 18, 2023  11:39 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: The following are words I have to say about "RYANTHEDRAGON98 Ascends!", an ranked Burst Standard tournament using 3v3 format.

I recommend the following music for reading the report. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gGacb8cO4 . This one's upbeat, and perhaps even stressful.

- Today was RYANTHEDRAGON98's birthday. Happy Birthday, Ryan!

- We had 12 participants today, making this a 12 person group round robin. Everyone got to play at least 5 matches. There didn't end up being any tiebreaker matches, thankfully.

- I forgot to bring one of my infrastructure bags with me. Didn't have stadium wipes and other useful items. Drat. Oh well.

- We started around 12:25, and the tournament went until about 2:45. We had to start a little late because one of the newer bladers had fake parts (Thanks again, Amazon, for continually ruining that for everyone) and needed to borrow. We had 2 running beystadiums at any given time. Not many idle beystadiums this time! geetster99 was present but not participating, so he was there entirely to judge. I did some judging, so did Broyeeto.

- The weather was cold outside, but we were indoors. Superstar card gaming is a fine venue. It can comfortably support 12 bladers and a couple of parents, no problem. The real problems arise when you start getting random spectators. Random, coughing, spectators. Seriously parents, you need to leave ALL of your kids at home if any of them are coughing. I hope the rest of you will be okay. I was masked the whole time, no one else was. Also, I could really do without kids and parents listening to loud audio on their phones. If you're not participating, that's fine, look at your phones. But either use headphones or mute. What is wrong with people?

- Burst Standard probably isn't going to have any more releases, and this late version of the format is interesting because the effectiveness of Left Spin in most first stage matches is way less relevant. Only one person ran Vanish today that I saw. Wind and Dynamite are still everywhere. I saw a lot of Guilty, and a couple other layers. A bit of World, although it was only really effective in deck format finals. Broyeeto is a big fan of Ultimate, and No One Else Is. But he uses it well, so, hey, what do we know.

- I went 3-2 today. I was a fool and I brought out a World Drift against Broyeeto. Mistake. That was the only big burst during the tournament, and that cost me. There were a lot of 3-2 matches during the tournament, most matches were very close. And yes, opposite spin is still a pain to judge. As it turns out, now SAME SPIN is also a pain to judge, with lots of ties and near ties! Just... an interesting and terrible new world we live in! 

- Allen Schaffer had some interesting combos for defeating some of the current used combos, but I'm leaving that up to him on whether or not to share that combo. I found it innovative, and honestly a bit surprising, but definitely effective.

- 3-2 isn't enough to make it to the finals when other people in your group go 4-1 (Dragreus111) or 5-0 (Broyeeto). The top two in the other group were CrisisCrusher07 and Kirito1696.

- There were a bunch of matches in the finals where one of the two competitors got a 3-0 or 4-0 lead right away, and then their opponent started making a comeback. It was tense! But it was also deck format so it was a special combination of opposite spin hell and judging difficulties.

- Kirito1696 got 1st place! CrisisCrusher07 2nd. Dragreus111 3rd, and Broyeeto 4th.

- This is the first tournament I recall judging with the rule in place where the beys have to hit the stadium floor before they hit each other, instead of potentially having midair collision, or the match is voided and supposed to be a relaunch. I later dug through the rules and checked this with other people. The rules say a relaunch can be requested if "Contact was made before both Beyblades touch the stadium floor once" but later goes on to say "Bladers cannot shoot their Beyblade onto the opponent's Beyblade mid-air" which kind of makes that seem mandatory. Once again, I have got to say that the people writing the rules don't seem like the people doing the judging. Maybe they are, and just aren't being thorough. I absolutely hate the amount of stuff I have to keep track of in a single match at this point. I have to point my phone camera at the SIDE of the beystadium to watch for contact with the stadium floor before contact, because I'm not going to get a good angle on whether or not they hit ground first otherwise (believe me, it was very open to interpretation in many videos, and still others people's hands blocked the view), then immediately get a higher view containing all the pockets to watch out for potential wall bounces, and then make sure I get a good angle of both beys for the eventual tie determination. Ghastly. A Ghastly Process! I didn't have a strong opinion on sniping, and now I have to deal with even more clumsy rule situations whenever I judge. Awful. I'm betting a lot of people will just completely ignore the "both beys have to touch floor before contact" rules and they will be completely justified in doing so. Congratulations WBO Rules, you've hit the point where people are going to start ignoring rules as they become too much of a pain in the butt. Me, I'll watch for floor before contact, and hate doing so.

- After the tournament ended, some bladers were doing some burst battles, and there was a Catastrophic Guilty break. We're talking snapped in half. I have a picture Crisis sent if he's okay with it being uploaded.

- During the 3rd place match, this exceptionally weird situation happened. According to the rules as written, "A Beyblade is knocked-out when it exits the stadium. Beyblades stuck on an element of a stadium are still considered in-play. Beyblades that bounce back into the stadium after exiting the play area are still considered knocked-out. However, if a Beyblade exits the stadium and bounces back in before touching the opposing Beyblade in any fashion, the battle will continue." How do You think it should've been interpreted? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okz_uJrcbPU Do you think that exited the play area? Personally, I see that as Guilty bouncing off the corner, hitting the opposite corner, and not the back wall. If this had been a BB-10, you know it wouldn't have bounced from corner to corner like that, it would've just gone out. The judge for this match did not consider that a KO, and I probably wouldn't have either. Unfortunate that the camera angle on this is the one least able to see if a wall bounce happens on that one pocket.

- I hope the next generation of Beyblade doesn't have covered stadiums or bursts. Bring back Zero-G you cowards!

A good, fun tournament.

Thank you Deceasedcrab 😊, hopefully next Tournament we meet at, I can try and get a match against you, although I didn't make it to Finals, I did have fun, but I'm definitely gonna get better, hopefully next Tournament, I get at the least 2nd place, but after today, definitely gonna learn and better myself in Beyblading