World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+---- Forum: News (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-News)
+---- Thread: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management (/Thread-WBO-Organizer-s-Guide-Updates-April-2019-Changes-to-Planning-Systems-Management)

WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - Kei - Apr. 22, 2019

Outlined below are several important new ruling additions, updates, and clarifications to the WBO Organized Play Organizer’s Guide.

All Organizers are required to be familiar with these updates.

[Image: b7Gk3gr.png]

This expansive update is informed largely by our experience over the past year with large events such as Beytuber Brawl and BEYBLADE SHOGATSU 2019; the WBO Organized Play Beyblade community has reached new milestones in terms of tournament size exceeding 160 players in both of the aforementioned cases.

The Organizer’s Guide was originally written during a time when our events were much smaller, but larger events bring along with them a whole new set of concerns and responsibilities which Organizers need to be conscious of when organizing and preparing for their events.

The most major points relate to participant capping, venue capacity, updated Tournament System guidelines, sponsorship, and a wide variety of other guidelines which we hope will help Organizers plan for and manage their events better.

Planning Your Tournament
  • IMPORTANT WBO Events Max Participants without special approval: 120 (Page 2)
  • IMPORTANT Participant Capping: Now Permitted With Prior Approval (Page 2)
  • IMPORTANT Participant Cap for First-Time Organizers: 24 (Page 2)
  • Location and Venue: New Sections for “Large Events” and “Consider Venue Capacity” (Page 3-4)
  • Prizes: Defined Static Values for Canadian Dollar, Pound, and Euro Added to Reimbursement Guidelines (Page 4-5)
  • IMPORTANT Sponsorship Guidelines Added: Permitted With Prior Approval (Page 5)
  • Event Equipment: # of BeyStadiums Recommendation Chart Added (Page 6)
  • Lending Beyblades & Launchers Guidelines Added (Page 7)
  • Floor Plan Guidelines Added (Page 8)

Tournament Systems
  • IMPORTANT Updated Guidelines for Swiss: Now Permitted for 17–64 players (Page 10)
  • IMPORTANT Updated Guidelines for Double Elimination: Now Permitted for 33–120 players and with 80–120 players, 16 must be taken for Final Stage (Page 10)
  • IMPORTANT Introduction of Single Elimination for Large Events: Permitted for 80–120, Mandatory for 121+ players. For Final Stage with 80–159 player Single Elimination, Double Elimination Deck Format may be used (Page 11)

Running Your Tournament
  • IMPORTANT Updated Challonge Guidelines Based on Tournament Systems Updates (Page 16-17)
  • Using Challonge’s New Stations Feature (Page 27)

Tournament Management
  • New Account Creation Guidelines & Printable Resource Added (Page 32-33)
  • Printable Need-to-Know Information Sheet Template (Page 34)
  • Tournament Desk Inaccessibility Guidelines Added (Page 34)
  • Stadium Numbers Guidelines & Printable Resource Added (Page 34)
  • Break Guidelines Added (Page 35)
  • Event Staff Role List Guidelines Added (Page 35-37)

Feedback?
If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.

RE: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - DeceasedCrab - Apr. 22, 2019

Makes sense. Seems like 65-79 participants automatically becomes Double Elimination though. The new changes make sense.

I have a question. Is the one tournament seemingly run without previous organizer help that was announced prior to these changes ( Empire City Strikes Back! by Lazerbeamz) grandfathered in to the previous no-cap-for-first-time-organizers rules? Or do they have help from existing organizers? I know kj is helping judge, so perhaps that counts. Or will the new cap of 24 participants apply to their tournament? They already have 28 registrants.

RE: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - Kei - Apr. 22, 2019

(Apr. 22, 2019  4:22 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: Seems like 65-79 participants automatically becomes Double Elimination though.

It indeed does. This change is related to trying to ensure events can be reasonably completed within a day. Some experienced Organizers and Organizers who have a ton of staff might be able to handle larger Swiss events, but we don't have the luxury of that being the case for everyone.

The change was also related to trying to manage the maximum possible match count for any WBO event.

A 64 player Swiss event for example produces more matches than a 100 person DE tournament, so we had to create a cut off point for Swiss to try and mitigate this somewhat so that the maximum total match count for large events whether it be Swiss, DE, or SE are in a similar range. The amount of rounds for Swiss also increases to 7 at 65 and continues growing to 8 and 9 as the events get even bigger, so 64 seemed like the best cut off point.

As it stands now, the largest possible match count is for 120 Player DE, which produces 216 matches in the first stage (well, unless you had like a 300 player SE event lol).

(Apr. 22, 2019  4:22 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: I have a question. Is the one tournament seemingly run without previous organizer help that was announced prior to these changes ( Empire City Strikes Back! by Lazerbeamz) grandfathered in to the previous no-cap-for-first-time-organizers rules? Or do they have help from existing organizers? I know kj is helping judge, so perhaps that counts. Or will the new cap of 24 participants apply to their tournament? They already have 28 registrants.

Good question. I would say that it does not apply as it wouldn't be fair to the people who have already registered. But @[LazerBeamz], if you need any advice or help preparing for your event please let us know.

RE: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - LazerBeamz - Apr. 22, 2019

@[Kei] Appreciate the support. While this is my first time organizing and hosting a tournament, I did help out with @[kjrules17]'s tournament back in November so I do have some confidence in how Empire City Strikes Back will run. I think our main area to troubleshoot would be our current number of Judges. We currently have 3 judges: KJ, Nue2127, and Myself. If our tournament stays below the 35 participants range, I don't see this being an issue. Above that range, it could become a problem due to our judging bandwidth. We do have an extra stadium, but filling that stadium with someone who is well versed with the Burst Standard Rulebook might be an issue. Any thoughts?

RE: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - GrayStar - May. 10, 2019

My son is BEYBLADE ADDICTED! He has even began creating his own out of paper! They're all over the house! So, I wanted to have a tournament for he and others here in Charlotte, NC, being that I can not find anything happening here with Beyblade. So, I've scanned through the tournament rules, but am wondering how is the location for the event paid for? Is this something I would have to cover or get a sponsors to assist or can I construct the event and charge a certain amount for each player to enter, which would include the entry fee that I see is required from the organization?
Please advise, and thanks.

RE: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - DeceasedCrab - May. 10, 2019

(May. 10, 2019  9:23 AM)GrayStar Wrote: My son is BEYBLADE ADDICTED! He has even began creating his own out of paper! They're all over the house! So, I wanted to have a tournament for he and others here in Charlotte, NC, being that I can not find anything happening here with Beyblade. So, I've scanned through the tournament rules, but am wondering how is the location for the event paid for? Is this something I would have to cover or get a sponsors to assist or can I construct the event and charge a certain amount for each player to enter, which would include the entry fee that I see is required from the organization?
Please advise, and thanks.

Not the right thread to ask this question, but we can answer anyway.

You have to pay for venue yourself if it's a venue with costs associated with it. I believe you're allowed to get outside sponsors, but consult the organizers guide for details on that.

I'm led to understand that you Can institute a higher fee to cover your own venue costs, but the standard $5 per non-passport participant still needs to be collected and sent to the WBO. So non-passport participants would need to pay $5 more on top of your venue fee.

Ensure your venue allows you to even charge fees. Some don't.

Lots of organizers prefer public parks with covered pavilions. Sometimes even these require rental fees.

Good luck.

RE: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - Hannavas - Nov. 05, 2019

I want to attend a tournament in Australia or Cranbourne

RE: WBO Organizer's Guide Updates April 2019: Changes to Planning, Systems & Management - bekfastblader - Nov. 05, 2019

(Nov. 05, 2019  5:06 AM)Hannavas Wrote: I want to attend a tournament in Australia or Cranbourne

Theres one in the city at a place called Nekocards