World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Make your suggestions! - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+--- Thread: Make your suggestions! (/Thread-Make-your-suggestions)

RE: Make your suggestions! - Brisk AquarioHD - Dec. 17, 2016

As I viewed in the 'Become a Organizer' thread, I immediately thought of a idea. I do know that Committees do ask new organizers questions after they go over the guidelines so I thought: Why not an actual quiz with questions you can send them via link in their proposed event? This can be a viable method and quicken the process of accepting a event. With the questions they've gotten wrong, committees can go further in explaining them, etc. What do you think?

RE: Make your suggestions! - Bey Brad - Dec. 17, 2016

(Dec. 17, 2016  8:59 PM)Brisk AquarioHD Wrote: As I viewed in the 'Become a Organizer' thread, I immediately thought of a idea. I do know that Committees do ask new organizers questions after they go over the guidelines so I thought: Why not an actual quiz with questions you can send them via link in their proposed event? This can be a viable method and quicken the process of accepting a event. With the questions they've gotten wrong, committees can go further in explaining them, etc. What do you think?

My fault that you couldn't see this before, but we actually did just that: https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Become-an-Organizer Smile

RE: Make your suggestions! - Brisk AquarioHD - Dec. 17, 2016

(Dec. 17, 2016  9:15 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: My fault that you couldn't see this before, but we actually did just that: https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Become-an-Organizer Smile
No worries! Saw this after posting that post so feel free to remove it haha.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Beylon - Jan. 31, 2017

Suggestion:

Following the wonderful complexity of Kei's recent tournament report, I'd like to see a set of emoticons/smilies for the forum where each image is a layer. You can only use a Layer once in your Deck, right? So with a library of layer images, you could just write the full beyblade name once (at the start of the battle) and then just use the emoticon for the rest of the report instead. I imagine this might make reading the report easier... But obviously have not tried it yet.

I bring it up here because I wondered if anyone has such a library of images already (you know, like low-res Layer images).

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Jan. 31, 2017

(Jan. 31, 2017  7:56 AM)Beylon Wrote: Suggestion:

Following the wonderful complexity of Kei's recent tournament report, I'd like to see a set of emoticons/smilies for the forum where each image is a layer. You can only use a Layer once in your Deck, right? So with a library of layer images, you could just write the full beyblade name once (at the start of the battle) and then just use the emoticon for the rest of the report instead. I imagine this might make reading the report easier... But obviously have not tried it yet.

I bring it up here because I wondered if anyone has such a library of images already (you know, like low-res Layer images).

But for archival purposes, it is very important to write out the full Beyblade names as often as possible, otherwise those other instances will not turn up during a search. This is why we insist on that in the Winning Combinations thread too.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Beylon - Jan. 31, 2017

(Jan. 31, 2017  3:18 PM)Kai-V Wrote: But for archival purposes, it is very important to write out the full Beyblade names as often as possible, otherwise those other instances will not turn up during a search. This is why we insist on that in the Winning Combinations thread too.

Ah, very good. Had not considered that aspect.

RE: Make your suggestions! - SUGOI-KONICHEWA - Feb. 07, 2017

Some has probably suggested this but my suggestion is that when you click on the usergroup under your avatar it lists the members in your usergroup.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Mstubbs88 - Feb. 24, 2017

I know we already have a tournament system, and the ranking system is cool, but what if we started holding "Regionals" and depending upon player turnout the top whatever get "invites" to a national championship, then those who make nationals can compete for their country for a spot in a world championship?

RE: Make your suggestions! - ~Mana~ - Feb. 25, 2017

Money™  Dj - Disappointed ...

Jokes aside, it really is a case of finances. While it'd certainly be a dream come true to make it happen, we're not in a position to be able to offer any kind of world championship as it stands.

In terms of national championships, that can be a bit iffy as well. Some regions, such as the UK, only have one region that host events, so a national championship is a moot point. And in larger continents, we really don't have the funds to be able to be able to do this.

It's a great idea, and a dream we'd love to one day do, but it's not viable for us at this point in time.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Mstubbs88 - Feb. 25, 2017

(Feb. 25, 2017  3:25 AM)~Mana~ Wrote: Money™  Dj - Disappointed ...

Jokes aside, it really is a case of finances. While it'd certainly be a dream come true to make it happen, we're not in a position to be able to offer any kind of world championship as it stands.

In terms of national championships, that can be a bit iffy as well. Some regions, such as the UK, only have one region that host events, so a national championship is a moot point. And in larger continents, we really don't have the funds to be able to be able to do this.

It's a great idea, and a dream we'd love to one day do, but it's not viable for us at this point in time.

I dont understand why you would need money to do it. You literally just turn some of the more normal tournaments into regionals, maybe one for each area that has them, then give out invites to top players, then have the admins for that country discuss and decide where the best place for nationals that year is. I can maybe understand worlds being an issue. Could even split it into 2-3 divisions. Like maybe put the U.S. and canada Into a division and alternate "worlds" locations between them every other year or something. Also, it could be used as motivation to get other areas to start hosting tournaments so they can get regionals and make being able to attend nationals a bit more viable. I mean, dont get me wrong the rank system is cool and all, but its kind of unfair for newer players and doesnt exactly show who the best is. It just shows who is able to go to a bunch of events. Where as with a regional system, someone could attend 2-3 events ( regional to top and earn an invite, then nats and maybe a "worlds ish thing" )and be considered the best. Its much more managable for those of us older players who have other things to do than go to a bunch of beyblade tournaments.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Ultra - Feb. 25, 2017

(Feb. 25, 2017  1:30 PM)Mstubbs88 Wrote: I dont understand why you would need money to do it. You literally just turn some of the more normal tournaments into regionals, maybe one for each area that has them, then give out invites to top players, then have the admins for that country discuss and decide where the best place for nationals that year is. I can maybe understand worlds being an issue. Could even split it into 2-3 divisions. Like maybe put the U.S. and canada Into a division and alternate "worlds" locations between them every other year or something. Also, it could be used as motivation to get other areas to start hosting tournaments so they can get regionals and make being able to attend nationals a bit more viable. I mean, dont get me wrong the rank system is cool and all, but its kind of unfair for newer players and doesnt exactly show who the best is. It just shows who is able to go to a bunch of events. Where as with a regional system, someone could attend 2-3 events ( regional to top and earn an invite, then nats and maybe a "worlds ish thing" )and be considered the best. Its much more managable for those of us older players who have other things to do than go to a bunch of beyblade tournaments.

Seriously? How exactly do you think people from tournaments from several different regions of the US and Canada are going to be able to get the place where the nationals will be held? For people that aren't close the travel is going to cost a lot. The WBO will have to pay for that. And money for prizes and venue fees as well.

RE: Make your suggestions! - ~Mana~ - Feb. 25, 2017

Basically as Ultra has said; I would assume that the WBO would be expected to cover travel fees as a prize for winning these regional/national events, which is where money is absolutely needed. If we completely disregarded that and said "no, you need to make your own way there", the whole thing probably wouldn't be very popular, especially if you have someone from the UK or India having to fly out to Canada or the US. It's extremely costly and I don't think people would be prepared to do that at all.

Again, it's one of those "ultimate dream goal" scenarios. We'd love to do it, but it's not something we can do anytime soon.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Brisk AquarioHD - Feb. 25, 2017

I forgot to mention, it would be great to get notifications for people replying to our "quotes" in threads. Do you think this would be possible?

RE: Make your suggestions! - Angry Face - Feb. 25, 2017

(Feb. 25, 2017  5:39 PM)Brisk AquarioHD Wrote: I forgot to mention, it would be great to get notifications for people replying to our "quotes" in threads. Do you think this would be possible?

We already have this feature...? You should have gotten a notification for this post.

[Image: op3KzWS.png]

RE: Make your suggestions! - Brisk AquarioHD - Feb. 25, 2017

(Feb. 25, 2017  5:45 PM)Angry Face Wrote: We already have this feature...? You should have gotten a notification for this post.

[Image: op3KzWS.png]
Ah oops. Please disregard my reply haha. I just felt like most of the time I don't get notifications oddly? But thanks. >.<

RE: Make your suggestions! - Mstubbs88 - Feb. 25, 2017

(Feb. 25, 2017  2:26 PM)Ultra Wrote: Seriously? How exactly do you think people from tournaments from several different regions of the US and Canada are going to be able to get the place where the nationals will be held? For people that aren't close the travel is going to cost a lot. The WBO will have to pay for that. And money for prizes and venue fees as well.

Nationals, youre on your own for travel. Any othe competetive game is that way. I dont see why you feel the WBO should be responsible for that. Have any of you ever played another competetive game before?

(Feb. 25, 2017  5:08 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: Basically as Ultra has said; I would assume that the WBO would be expected to cover travel fees as a prize for winning these regional/national events, which is where money is absolutely needed. If we completely disregarded that and said "no, you need to make your own way there", the whole thing probably wouldn't be very popular, especially if you have someone from the UK or India having to fly out to Canada or the US. It's extremely costly and I don't think people would be prepared to do that at all.

Again, it's one of those "ultimate dream goal" scenarios. We'd love to do it, but it's not something we can do anytime soon.

Tbh i dont feel like itd be a big deal atleasy on the national level. If you work hard to make your nationals, youll go. I play yugioh competetively too, and have been to nationals 3 times. 2 of which were 8-12+ hour drives. Chicago, and Detroit from TN.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Cake - Feb. 26, 2017

(Feb. 25, 2017  8:35 PM)Mstubbs88 Wrote: Nationals, youre on your own for travel. Any othe competetive game is that way. I dont see why you feel the WBO should be responsible for that. Have any of you ever played another competetive game before?

Tbh i dont feel like itd be a big deal atleasy on the national level. If you work hard to make your nationals, youll go. I play yugioh competetively too, and have been to nationals 3 times. 2 of which were 8-12+ hour drives. Chicago, and Detroit from TN.

We simply don't have the playerbase to host a massive, spectacular regional/national event that would make people willing to pay out of pocket for cross-country or international trips. You'll pay your own way if you think it's worth it; with the rather sparsely populated community we have right now, there's not nearly as much motivation to travel extremely long distances for an event. Look at the tournaments archive; there are quite a few active communities out hosting events, but they're scattered all over the place; there's no way to cater easily to the communities we have without forcing a lot of people to fly out somewhere. Nationals or global tournaments would be awesome, but without enough players there's not enough population in any given area to have regionals, not enough of a challenge ladder to climb to make a global tournament rewarding enough, and not enough money to provide for suitable prize pools for a huge vent, or the means to offer incentives to help ease the financial burden of travelling to an international spinning top tournament.

I myself have driven 8+ hours from Indiana to Toronto for the WBO event at Anime North last year, and it was definitely worth the costs. But until we get more active communities going, any kind of exclusive competitive event is going end up being very small scale, due to there being a relatively small pool of competitive Bladers to pull from, the long distance travel involved for many people, and the lack of funding for a big fancy event. If only a couple people from each region get to go to nationals/worlds, you'll end up with a small tournament. If you allow more people, you might as well drop the exclusivity so you can draw more attendance fees and pay for bigger prizes or a better venue for the tournament to actually be held. That's effectively what Beydays at Anime North is; 2014 in particular was a year where the WBO did actually run a global qualifier system, thanks to MFB and Zero-G having formed strong communities in many places, which in turn gave the WBO funding to do some fancier stuff, and enough players to participate.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Mstubbs88 - Feb. 26, 2017

Well. Then maybe a new ranking system in play, or a refresh, or even jist dump it altogether and focus more on covering winners from individual tournaments. (ive seen some really good articles in the past) idk just something to encourage new players to attend tournaments. Because whats the point if youre never gonna have a chance at the top because bobby joe has been playing burst events since day 1 and doesnt miss an event, so theres physically no way possible you can match his rank points accumulation rate. From what i can tell, the system isnt very fair. If im wrong, please enlighten me.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Yblader1 - Feb. 26, 2017

Can the pm system be looked into or at least can a function be installed letting us know that the other person received our pms. It feels really screwed up when I pm people and they don't respond and I need to know if it's cos they got a pm problem or just genuinely don't want to speak with me.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Ultra - Feb. 26, 2017

(Feb. 26, 2017  12:57 PM)Yblader1 Wrote: Can the pm system be looked into or at least can a function be installed letting us know that the other person received our pms. It feels really screwed up when I pm people and they don't respond and I need to know if it's cos they got a pm problem or just genuinely don't want to speak with me.

It's almost certainly the second or they're too busy. If there was a problem with PMs other members would have noticed too.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Mstubbs88 - Feb. 27, 2017

Now im just feeling ignored. Unhappy

RE: Make your suggestions! - Angry Face - Feb. 27, 2017

(Feb. 26, 2017  12:57 PM)Mstubbs88 Wrote: Well. Then maybe a new ranking system in play, or a refresh, or even jist dump it altogether and focus more on covering winners from individual tournaments. (ive seen some really good articles in the past) idk just something to encourage new players to attend tournaments. Because whats the point if youre never gonna have a chance at the top because bobby joe has been playing burst events since day 1 and doesnt miss an event, so theres physically no way possible you can match his rank points accumulation rate. From what i can tell, the system isnt very fair. If im wrong, please enlighten me.

Do people who both play often and play well not deserve to be at the top? Does someone who shows up to only one tournament and wins deserve to be as highly ranked as the people who played just as well but more often than that individual? Our system is definitely the fairest it has ever been, but since you're new, you wouldn't likely know how it works.

The BeyPoint system's formula takes into account a multitude of factors when calculating the points gained and lost in a match between two players. High ranking players gain fewer points from beating low ranking players, while lower ranking players gain more points from beating high ranking players. The reverse applies to losing; low ranking players lose fewer points against high ranking players, and high ranking players lose  more points to low ranking players. Therefore, no matter where you stand in the rankings, it is always in your best interest to play someone near your level or higher in order to continue moving up. Additionally, tournament size is accounted for with a point multiplier; as player count increases, so does the point multiplier to compensate for the higher stakes of larger tournaments.

While the system favors larger and more frequent tournaments, people who perform well in such competitive scenes truly earn their place in the BeyRanks.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kei - Feb. 27, 2017

edit: Looks like Angry Face beat me by about 10 minutes haha.

(Feb. 26, 2017  12:57 PM)Mstubbs88 Wrote: Well. Then maybe a new ranking system in play, or a refresh, or even jist dump it altogether and focus more on covering winners from individual tournaments. (ive seen some really good articles in the past) idk just something to encourage new players to attend tournaments. Because whats the point if youre never gonna have a chance at the top because bobby joe has been playing burst events since day 1 and doesnt miss an event, so theres physically no way possible you can match his rank points accumulation rate. From what i can tell, the system isnt very fair. If im wrong, please enlighten me.

The thing with our ranking system (which is based on a modified version of the ELO Rating System) is that it becomes harder to accumulate points the more you gain. When you start out at 1000BP, it is very easy to gain points, especially when you beat highly ranked opponents. You gain more by beating players who are ranked higher than you. Sure, you won't get to #1 after playing in one tournament, but if you play in several tournaments and consistently perform well, you will naturally rise through the rankings. Over the years I've seen many people join, do this, and ascend the rankings relatively quickly. For some it takes longer if they put forth average performances, but that is to be expected; it shouldn't be easy to get to the top and nobody should realistically expect to reach the top of the worldwide rankings after a couple tournaments. And when you do reach the top, it becomes very difficult to progress because you lose more points by losing to lowly ranked players.

As for covering the individual winners from tournaments, I agree that is important too. That is something we already do actually. The top three players from every tournament earn a Gold/Silver/Bronze Bit for their profile (you can see a list of all of the Gold Bits ever awarded here, for example. Excuse the lack of formatting on that page for the time being). We also post all of the winning combinations from the top three players at each of our events here. When you say "covering" do you mean anything different? We're happy to listen to any suggestions you might have!

What sort of articles are you referring to? Do you mean tournament reports like these?:

https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Toronto-Beyblade-Burst-Tournament-Report-WELCOME-TO-A-C-GAMES-II
https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Toronto-Beyblade-Burst-Tournament-Report-WELCOME-TO-A-C-GAMES-III
https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-BEY-OR-DIE-Tournament-Report-9-27-14-Team-Format-Pilot-Event
https://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-MFB-Team-HMS-BeyBattle-Revolution-at-Anime-North-2015-Weekend-Report

I try to write reports like these for my tournaments when I have time, but it is quite time consuming and most Organizers don't have the time to do it. There is quite a few out there in the Discuss worldbeyblade.org forum, though.

(Feb. 26, 2017  12:57 PM)Yblader1 Wrote: Can the pm system be looked into or at least can a function be installed letting us know that the other person received our pms. It feels really screwed up when I pm people and they don't respond and I need to know if it's cos they got a pm problem or just genuinely don't want to speak with me.

We have the PM tracking feature on our list of things to look into sooner after we have our ranking system updates complete, user profile battle history integrated, and location services up and running (so we can send notifications to users when tournaments are near them). We only have one developer working on the site right now, so we are limited in how quickly it is possible for us to fix and add new features. Please bear with us. That being said, if you send a PM there's no reason why it will not have reached the person you're sending it to. Whether or not they choose to respond is another issue entirely, but they will surely have received it.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Mstubbs88 - Feb. 27, 2017

(Feb. 27, 2017  1:44 AM)Angry Face Wrote: Do people who both play often and play well not deserve to be at the top? Does someone who shows up to only one tournament and wins deserve to be as highly ranked as the people who played just as well but more often than that individual? Our system is definitely the fairest it has ever been, but since you're new, you wouldn't likely know how it works.

The BeyPoint system's formula takes into account a multitude of factors when calculating the points gained and lost in a match between two players. High ranking players gain fewer points from beating low ranking players, while lower ranking players gain more points from beating high ranking players. The reverse applies to losing; low ranking players lose fewer points against high ranking players, and high ranking players lose  more points to low ranking players. Therefore, no matter where you stand in the rankings, it is always in your best interest to play someone near your level or higher in order to continue moving up. Additionally, tournament size is accounted for with a point multiplier; as player count increases, so does the point multiplier to compensate for the higher stakes of larger tournaments.

While the system favors larger and more frequent tournaments, people who perform well in such competitive scenes truly earn their place in the BeyRanks.

Thats not too bad then, my biggest issuebwith it though is (sorry if im wrong) it seems like the top players and the people who play in tournaments regularly are tight knit friends, and the fact that there are so few tournaments close to me, makes it really hard for people in my position to ascend. Especially when i applied for T.O. over a week ago and still havnt heard anything from anyone. Im trying to give others in my position a fighting chance and it just feels like im getting absolutely nowhere with anything. I have the players, and everything chomping at the bit, ready to go. As a new "competetive" member with the closest tournament being 3 1/2+ hours away, and the lack of ability to change that, makes the odds feel insanely stacked against me and anyone else in my position. It makes me feel unimportant and inadequate as a member, which may be why i probably sound really frustrated.

RE: Make your suggestions! - ~Mana~ - Feb. 27, 2017

(Feb. 27, 2017  5:19 AM)Mstubbs88 Wrote: Thats not too bad then, my biggest issuebwith it though is (sorry if im wrong) it seems like the top players and the people who play in tournaments regularly are tight knit friends, and the fact that there are so few tournaments close to me, makes it really hard for people in my position to ascend. Especially when i applied for T.O. over a week ago and still havnt heard anything from anyone. Im trying to give others in my position a fighting chance and it just feels like im getting absolutely nowhere with anything. I have the players, and everything chomping at the bit, ready to go. As a new "competetive" member with the closest tournament being 3 1/2+ hours away, and the lack of ability to change that, makes the odds feel insanely stacked against me and anyone else in my position. It makes me feel unimportant and inadequate as a member, which may be why i probably sound really frustrated.

Sorry about that Mstubbs! We get a lot of quiz submissions, and it's likely still in the queue of ones we need to look at (you'd be surprised how many we still have pending, haha). I'll personally give it a check over very soon so you can get started with organising! In the meantime, please do feel free to gather interest in your area using the Communities section! Might give you a bit of a head start, haha.