World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Make your suggestions! - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+--- Thread: Make your suggestions! (/Thread-Make-your-suggestions)

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Jan. 31, 2012

Most of them post about other things than Beyblade sometimes though, and at least where they are right now, they are within Japanese and they know that they can be found by them, who are their target.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Hazel - Jan. 31, 2012

I heavily support this idea. It strengthens the community, gives access to more people posting reliable reviews and such directly on our site, gets us more views, more members, and likely, more tournament events.

Zero downsides, even if only for a small upside, would be worth it. This is a wonderful boon!

(Jan. 31, 2012  1:40 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Most of them post about other things than Beyblade sometimes though, and at least where they are right now, they are within Japanese and they know that they can be found by them, who are their target.

It is as simple as saying "only post Beyblade information here". Moreover, rather than just shooting everything down going "oh they would never", presumptuously speaking for them in a negative light, why not actually ask them...? This opportunity, for us, is worth actually pursuing - at least insofar as asking them if they would do it.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Uwik - Jan. 31, 2012

(Jan. 31, 2012  1:40 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Most of them post about other things than Beyblade sometimes though, and at least where they are right now, they are within Japanese and they know that they can be found by them, who are their target.

This is very true. I have actually given it some thought. The only potential problem would be the preliminary agreement between WBO and them to discuss strictly beyblade items. Now, I realize everybody has lives outside of beyblades, and we need an outlet. Maybe you guys could find a special leniency for them to discuss other things, as long as the majority of their blogs are bey-related. Eventually if we have more Japanese bladers frequent WBO more, a Japanese forum could be born, then they can have their own community too within the WBO.

This is the missing link, from Japan to the rest of the world, that the bey community has for a number of years, maybe since Beholder went on hiatus.

Also by blogs, I meant it's open to any 'famous' bey blogger, not just Japanese.

As for their target market, one could argue 'chicken vs egg'. They're stuck within their own community since they have no global outlet. I'm fairly certain that they are as interested about the rest of the world as us to them.

I'm all for any expansion of our community and audience.

(Jan. 31, 2012  1:40 PM)Hazel Wrote: This opportunity, for us, is worth actually pursuing - at least insofar as asking them if they would do it.

Exactly, hence my suggestion of asking our very own Akira'sDaddy to start off.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Jan. 31, 2012

OK. It is just that you talked about them "migrating" their blog here, and personally I would find it disrespectful to ask them to do that. If we are basically just asking them to repost their blog messages about Beyblade, or make extra Beyblade posts that they would not necessarily add on their Japanese blog, I suppose it would be fine.

Japanese are so delicate to deal with ...

Yep. You've had dealings with them before. I trust your judgement. Your way is much better.

So yeah, please do discuss the format and such within the CMs, and we all look forward to the good news...(hopefully)

Cheers.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Arupaeo - Jan. 31, 2012

Another way to address this would be by incorporating their beyblade blogs into the site through an RSS feed. That way it is close to zero work on their part as they would not not need to change their location or do any double posting.

Hmm, interesting idea, but then they wouldn't be a part of WBO's community in person, since they're not actually 'directly involved', which somehow defeats the purpose.

Still, it's something to fall back on. Definitely worth considering.

It would still bring in more traffic for us and possibly them, so if they won't agree to post here, they should at least be fine with the feed.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kei - Feb. 01, 2012

I don't have time to add much of anything myself right now, but in principle, I love the idea. I think it would just be a matter of finding the right people who are going to actively participate and post good content on their "forum blog".

RE: Make your suggestions! - Arupaeo - Feb. 01, 2012

(Jan. 18, 2012  6:48 PM)th!nk Wrote: Maybe, however, my weak point is sets. I'm afraid I really don't know the sets at all, that's certainly your forte, hah.

I can try to throw an article together at some point in the next couple of weeks, but I'd definitely need you to cover the sets side of things anyway, so if you want to, you're obviously welcome to write an article, and I can go over anything you're unsure of/would rather I do/anything you miss etc Smile

Hopefully this doesn't sound patronising or anything, I tend to be when plastics are involved Confused

There are several of the SonoKong sets up on eBay right now with decent pictures and enumerated contents if that is of help.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Janstarblast - Feb. 01, 2012

(Jan. 31, 2012  10:19 PM)Hazel Wrote: It would still bring in more traffic for us and possibly them, so if they won't agree to post here, they should at least be fine with the feed.

And to get them more traffic, we may simply provide a link to their blog in their respective threads, or add them to our Affiliates?
They might be happier with that, as they would have to do nothing, but just give their permission. And for that, they'll get a huge audience, hailing from each and every country in the world.
I haven't visited the blogs(and also do not know of the concept of blogs in general) of many people (except BeyGenSG), so I may not know if the audience they get would be useful (for them) or not.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Poseidon - Feb. 01, 2012

Can we get a sort of merit system. For every contribute to the community IE testing making helpful threads, gets ___ amount of merits, and the merits can be used to get a face booster or something ?

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Feb. 01, 2012

I thought you would aspire to get enough merits to get into the Advanced Forum or something, hah.

Generally I think we already do that, but in our conscious, where if it seems like you have really contributed a lot, then we discuss giving you the Peridot Face, making you Advanced, etc. depending on the nature of your contributions and the quality of your Beyblade knowledge of course.

RE: Make your suggestions! - LeonTempest - Feb. 02, 2012

IMO, a physical merits system could be good or bad. It wwould make getting into the advanced forum more of a competition, rather than those who deserve to be thier. On the other side of the argument, it would strongly encourage more intellegent posts, as well as post maturity in members

I think we need a sub-comitee strictly for the beywiki project, composed of advanced memebrs and moderators. Our current system is way to slow, with many good articles not being put up right away, or even at all, because of a single trivial error or because no one is around to check the articles. Does sacrififcing speed improve the quality of the articles? Yes, but there is a limit

RE: Make your suggestions! - Ultra - Feb. 02, 2012

Either that or Kei needs an assistant Tongue_out_wink

RE: Make your suggestions! - LeonTempest - Feb. 04, 2012

(Feb. 02, 2012  8:33 AM)Ultra Wrote: Either that or Kei needs an assistant Tongue_out_wink

More than that. He needs a team of people. The information we have is solid and well sourced, but the rate at which we are providing this information to the public is way to slow, and it is just unnacceptable at this point.

My suggestion for this is to make a new type of user group, seperate from all other groups. How this/If this will be done, I will leave up to the mods to determine.

Another suggestion, after consulting with some moderators, it has become apparent to me that an offical guide for how to test beyblades has never actualy been written. Perhaps the mods should make one, because otherwise we are basicy using an unwritten code of conduct here

RE: Make your suggestions! - Poseidon - Feb. 04, 2012

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Posting-Test-Results
To your previous requst, stubs are going up to speed up the process. Also, I think the one more person is OK. If you have a look, if relevent changes need to be made iit stays, if not Kei approves.

RE: Make your suggestions! - th!nk - Feb. 04, 2012

I had a draft of such a testing guide lying around at one point. We do have a vague outline around, though. I can probably try to write one up, though being me, it'll be lengthy.

Hazel did a good job yesterday. While no one user can really substitute for Kei's knowledge of most series, I would really like to see that kind of progress being a more regular thing, not just a once off. I too like the team idea, as I think it is the most viable way of getting things done right.

That said, I don't think there are that many articles that are well-written enough to go up right now, though I need to look through the forum a little better myself, so I'm not 100% sure of that. That said, with a team of people who have enough time to actually do the job, they themselves could work on fixing drafts so they are good enough to go up.

The other thing the wiki needs is a group of people who are able to go through and regularly update older articles as the metagame changes.

Poseidon: That guide isn't clear enough about testing itself. And "Kei Approves" is about as common as "Blue Moon"... Sorry to be so blunt, (read: Sorry, Kei), but things could be so much better than they are......... When one person can get more done in a day than has been done in a month, it should say something.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Poseidon - Feb. 04, 2012

Which is why I agreed we should have one more person, is a team really neccerry when one acive member could do asmuch. It's not like moderating a board where multiple people are needed.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Arupaeo - Feb. 04, 2012

One or more trusted people who could pre-review the articles and make a sound determination as to what is actually ready for Kei's review would probably make a huge difference. Right now the poor guy has to try and slog through every draft that the author believes to be ready - but in reality most are very far away from being ready.

If we could tee up the articles that are actually good enough to be reviewed then I bet the process would speed up dramatically.

RE: Make your suggestions! - LeonTempest - Feb. 04, 2012

IMO, lengthy isn't bad. Does it discourage noobs from reading longer rules? Yes, but they are noobs who will be noobs regardless of what we do, unlesss they decide to change thier ways themselves.

If anyone could write one when they have the time, i am sure it would be greatly appreciated. For one thing, it is definatly needed, and how we haven't had one is beyond me.

Kei is very knowlagable, but I agree with th!nk in saying that he is just one person. Not even just posting new articles, but editing outdated articles like Pegasis 105F, for example (that one specific example is being redone right now, I believe)

No offense to Kei, but the stars seem to sometimes align faster than article approval.

With that said, perhaps it should be Kei who picks his "team." After all, he is the one who oversees the wiki right now. I would imagine that users like you, Th!nk, would be the 1st person he would put on his list.

I would volunteer myself, but my ethos are a bit unqualified in this case. I am very good with wikis themselves, as well as trivial information, but in terms of the metagame, I might as well be dead weight.

Speaking of, someone needs to tell Kei to read all of this discussion...

RE: Make your suggestions! - th!nk - Feb. 04, 2012

(Feb. 04, 2012  10:09 PM)Poseidon Wrote: Which is why I agreed we should have one more person, is a team really neccerry when one acive member could do asmuch. It's not like moderating a board where multiple people are needed.
We don't have one active member who can do it, is it really that hard for me to explain this to you? Look, no one has a deep enough understanding of all three systems and the rules of each to do it, who is also active enough to do the job. I'm trying to do so without being too blunt or offending anyone, and it's extremely difficult for me to do so if you don't make the effort to read into things better.
Moderating a wiki DOES require a team. It is more than a one man job. The only wiki I know of that is basically managed by a single person is Beywiki. It might be accurate, but it's SLOW. It doesn't have to be slow to maintain accuracy, and in fact, the slow pace means that any errors on there stay up much longer than they ever should.

(Feb. 04, 2012  10:16 PM)Arupaeo Wrote: One or more trusted people who could pre-review the articles and make a sound determination as to what is actually ready for Kei's review would probably make a huge difference. Right now the poor guy has to try and slog through every draft that the author believes to be ready - but in reality most are very far away from being ready.

If we could tee up the articles that are actually good enough to be reviewed then I bet the process would speed up dramatically.

Yes, it would help, but it still relies on Kei reading things, having time to read things, and getting through the things that require more discussion, such as that weird spin stealer/opposite spin upper attack combination, and my explanation of why it is upper attack, from a few weeks back, as well as all of the completely unusable customs and totally incorrect things that are currently on the wiki which make me wince every time I see them.

Look, I'm truly sorry to say this, honestly, but if someone can't commit to doing a job, they should be responsible enough to step aside or at least have someone else fill in until they can... Again, no offense meant, but things should simply not take as long as they do, both for rulings and the wiki......

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Feb. 04, 2012

Kei and the rest of the Committee are fully aware of these issues, and we have been actively looking for solutions.