World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Make your suggestions! - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+--- Thread: Make your suggestions! (/Thread-Make-your-suggestions)

RE: Make your suggestions! - Benjohadi - Jan. 07, 2012

to prevent any spam bots...can WBO make something like enter verification code each time for new members fo their first 10/20 posts...?

RE: Make your suggestions! - Cygnus - Jan. 07, 2012

But wouldn't that prevent many joining users from trying to fit in and post. If I had to type in a verification code for the first 20 posts when I joined, I wouldn't be here right now. I would have left and joined a different forum.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Benjohadi - Jan. 07, 2012

simple verification code same as when you are sending email...
i found it is not a big trouble to type verification code..it is just a simple short code that showing you are not spam bots...

RE: Make your suggestions! - Poseidon - Jan. 11, 2012

Perhaps an alert button or something like that. For when like somebody has got 50 beys and are waiting for someone to give it too them, someone could use the button so the mod knows they need to view that face. Like reporting but for more postive reasons I guess.

RE: Make your suggestions! - th!nk - Jan. 11, 2012

Don't really think that's necessary. The staff check the relevant threads regularly, and there is already a function that does just what you describe: Private Message.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Hazel - Jan. 11, 2012

(Jan. 11, 2012  5:18 PM)Poseidon Wrote: Perhaps an alert button or something like that. For when like somebody has got 50 beys and are waiting for someone to give it too them, someone could use the button so the mod knows they need to view that face. Like reporting but for more postive reasons I guess.

Attention-grabbing functions like that are bothersome even for their officially intended use. If you want the attention of a Moderator or Committee Member, PM them.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Ultra - Jan. 12, 2012

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a page on the wiki for Hasbro's sonic series? You know similar to how we have one for hyperblades and phantom force too? I would do it but I have no idea which ones they released in the sonic series.

Edit: When I said this I hadn't realised there were only three beys in the sonic series(poison serpent, counter leone and thunder libra from the sonic version of the super vortex set).

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Jan. 12, 2012

(Jan. 11, 2012  5:31 PM)Hazel Wrote:
(Jan. 11, 2012  5:18 PM)Poseidon Wrote: Perhaps an alert button or something like that. For when like somebody has got 50 beys and are waiting for someone to give it too them, someone could use the button so the mod knows they need to view that face. Like reporting but for more postive reasons I guess.

Attention-grabbing functions like that are bothersome even for their officially intended use. If you want the attention of a Moderator or Committee Member, PM them.

By the way, at the worst, you could always report your own post if you really wanted to bring it to attention. Personally I do not really mind once in a while ...

RE: Make your suggestions! - Arupaeo - Jan. 12, 2012

Well, that makes one of us. LOL

I think that the report function should be reserved for more immediate and pressing concerns. Granting a Rose Gold Face - while important - is not an urgent matter. Just my opinion.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Jan. 12, 2012

Bah, do you prefer that harm was done because something bad is public, or a relief - it is just someone who wants to say that they posted something that we did not notice ? Obviously if it just got submitted, be patient and wait a few days though.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Hazel - Jan. 12, 2012

(Jan. 12, 2012  4:03 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Bah, do you prefer that harm was done because something bad is public, or a relief - it is just someone who wants to say that they posted something that we did not notice ? Obviously if it just got submitted, be patient and wait a few days though.

Or PM me and have it within eight hours pretty much regardless of when you PMed me.

RE: Make your suggestions! - th!nk - Jan. 13, 2012

Is the 60 second wait between searches entirely necessary? It's discouraging for people using the search function, and right now, as I'm quickly looking to see if drafts have been done for certain plastics before I go on holidays (as I plan to write some), it's kinda getting on my nerves. Yes, I'm super impatient, but curious as to why it exists (okay I guess bandwidth/security from certain bandwidth-based attacks, but yeah), or at least why it's so long.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Dan - Jan. 13, 2012

I also find that annoying, too.

I was wondering (assuming it is at all feasible and practical) if you could have more than one person edit an OP. You know, have the actual poster enter usernames of people much like in the Private Message system and allow them to alter the OP too.

Just a random thought. It would be aimed at topics like the Plastic Top-Tier list and all, where discussion would take place before the OP were to be edited.

I don't know if it is possible, but it would be a useful idea, especially when the person who was maintaining a thread has left the forum, then a moderator could give a new person the ability to edit it, or something.

Obviously, though, there would be attribution difficulties, and as I said, I don't think it's possible, I'd think it would be something entirely new software wise, at the MyBB level. Uncertain

RE: Make your suggestions! - Arupaeo - Jan. 13, 2012

(Jan. 13, 2012  8:56 AM)th!nk Wrote: Is the 60 second wait between searches entirely necessary? It's discouraging for people using the search function, and right now, as I'm quickly looking to see if drafts have been done for certain plastics before I go on holidays (as I plan to write some), it's kinda getting on my nerves. Yes, I'm super impatient, but curious as to why it exists (okay I guess bandwidth/security from certain bandwidth-based attacks, but yeah), or at least why it's so long.

We might be able to experiment with shorter intervals while monitoring server load, but the main culprit here is security and prevention of flooding/DOS attacks. Let me see what I can find out.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Deikailo - Jan. 13, 2012

How about a shorter time between PMs? Since that is all I do these days.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Jaygrazer - Jan. 13, 2012

(Jan. 13, 2012  1:44 PM)Deikailo Wrote: How about a shorter time between PMs? Since that is all I do these days.

I totally second that motion. It's EXTREMELY annoying when I have to wait 30 seconds just to send ONE PM.

Two, you mean. But, removing that delay has similar issues, and also those of spam bots. Still, it does annoy me (albeit less than the search delay), so I can't imagine how irritating it is for sellers.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Jaygrazer - Jan. 13, 2012

I know about the spam bots. If they can at least have a feature where sellers/ advanced people can get their "switch" flipped, that would be nice.

I feel sorry for dimsum2 now, lol.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Hazel - Jan. 13, 2012

(Jan. 13, 2012  1:10 PM)th!nk Wrote: I don't know if it is possible, but it would be a useful idea, especially when the person who was maintaining a thread has left the forum, then a moderator could give a new person the ability to edit it, or something.

Obviously, though, there would be attribution difficulties, and as I said, I don't think it's possible, I'd think it would be something entirely new software wise, at the MyBB level. Uncertain

It is not a function I have ever seen or heard of on any forum using mybb or phpbb.

(Jan. 13, 2012  1:44 PM)Deikailo Wrote: How about a shorter time between PMs? Since that is all I do these days.

We have discussed this pretty well, actually, and...

(Jan. 13, 2012  1:54 PM)Jaygrazer Wrote: I know about the spam bots. If they can at least have a feature where sellers/ advanced people can get their "switch" flipped, that would be nice.

I feel sorry for dimsum2 now, lol.

We cannot flip the switch for it on specific individuals - only by User Group. To make it clear, Moderators and Committee Members are not limited by this, as obviously we wouldn't exploit the system. The only thing we would consider is switching it off for Advanced Members. Anything else is far too general and would lead to problems.

If the Authorised Dealer program ever expands past one or two sellers, you could give them their own usergroup and apply it for them, but yeah.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Deikailo - Jan. 13, 2012

I think 1 minute is too long. 30 seconds would be nice because I can type a full message in 30 seconds and there have been times where I am talking to four users at once. Does MyBB have a plug in for instant messaging?

RE: Make your suggestions! - Arupaeo - Jan. 13, 2012

The IM proposal has already been considered and rejected.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Kai-V - Jan. 13, 2012

To address the three recent suggestions :

I was actually interested in such a plugin that would allow other users to be able to edit the first post of a topic, especially in a case where perhaps the host of a tournament is away for a while but the first post still needs to be updated. However, I have not really found anything for that.

Searches will really probably have to remain with that delay unfortunately. We have had a few threats of getting hacked, and our userbase and hits are always growing, so we are not safer than at the beginning of the site, where even then sixty seconds was required.

As for private messages, I always try to find ways to put new members who are potentially SPAM bots or real SPAMmers in their own separate groups and somehow have them merge into a regular group over a period of time or after some posts, but it does not seem entirely possible. Having just looked at our settings, it does not look like there is any distinction we can make between groups anyway : the delay is set to sixty seconds, and it does not even mention that Administrators are exempt from that delay, so the system just has that in mind by default.

RE: Make your suggestions! - Poseidon - Jan. 16, 2012

Perhaps WBO stats that involve previous date should be reconsidered. Do we really get 6 members a day ? If you compare the member rate from 2007 to now, it has greatly increased (thanks hasbro) and so couldn't thems tats be reset ?