World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion (v1.5 - 9/20/16) - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: Beyblade Discussion (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Beyblade-Discussion)
+--- Forum: Beyblade Customizations (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Beyblade-Customizations)
+---- Forum: Metal Fight Limited Customizations (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Metal-Fight-Limited-Customizations)
+---- Thread: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion (v1.5 - 9/20/16) (/Thread-MFB-Limited-Ban-List-Discussion-v1-5-9-20-16)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - th!nk - Jan. 21, 2014

What I think we need to see is if F230 causes trouble in other customs, to be honest - there seems to be a fairly broad agreement that gravity f230(G)CF is problematic, and some of L's tests were rather surprising in that regard so I think it's probably a very good avenue to look into. There is still the matter of Gravity D125(G)CF and other variants on that but we never really saw them become a huge problem, so...

Coach: Hm, interesting. Did you shoot for the KO etc? Seems to be the thing in that matchup. I think Rock has a little more potential than it has been given credit for TBH, might get back to work on that Rock Discussion thread I was working on.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - [)ragon - Jan. 21, 2014

I did experiment in Standard format a lot with LTSC against Dragooon F230, and there were some variants that were somewhat effective, but they couldn't quite take it down.

However, having a completely different shape than Revizer/Killerken/Genbull Dragooon Synchroms, it may be that LTSC could work consistently against Gravity F230. I've tried it briefly before, and then abandoned it after it failed, but it very well could've been a one-time thing, since we did see low-track Burn take it down plenty of times this weekend.

Burn 85MF is a tonne harder to KO than Burn 85WD though - MF catches the tornado ridge really well so it has surprisingly solid defense, could well be the best defense tip without rubber tbh. As for LTSC not working in standard, well, LTSC are *mostly* dead there due to the increased width of the wheels used nowadays. notsomuch in limited but from what I gather KO's seemed to be F230's answer to them.

If we want to talk about countering F230(G)CF, it would probably be a good idea to do so in L's F230 Discussion thread to be honest, just so those thoughts are easier to find for later and also not interrupted by/interrupting more directly banlist-related discussion.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Uwik - Jan. 21, 2014

Sorry for detaching the current conversation guys, but I find th!nk's post a page back about ban-worthy reasoning quite interesting.

(Jan. 20, 2014  10:52 AM)th!nk Wrote: It means that it makes a significant number of wheels non-viable as per my definition of viable below it, for example Thermal isn't viable with Scythe around (of course, if an area lacks Scythe, then it might be viable there, but generally for this we work with a theoretical meta where part availability isn't an issue). By a significant number I'm not sure exactly where I draw the line off the top of my head because so far I've only really looked at things that severely hurt a significant portion of the format.

This is an interesting take on it. I don't necessarily agree/disagree. But let's expand on it a bit.

It 'might be' a good idea to ban 1 in order to open up 2 or 3 previously non-viable wheels. The problem I have with it is by doing this, we would essentially 'climb down' the ladder back to the 'sucky' parts. For example, ban a decent defense wheel to open up Dark or Poison. That is 2 for the price of 1, but it is hardly a sensible move. The non-viable wheels will always be there. It is how the game is. We can't be idealists.

Even if there was a line drawn for a 'significant number', we can't ban 1 or 2 good/decent wheels as collateral in order to play with 4/5 bad wheels.

Again, I agree on the idea behind it, but I disagree on the realistic application of it.

(Jan. 20, 2014  10:52 AM)th!nk Wrote: ... but as for how much testing is needed, in my personal opinion, with appropriate benchmarking and range of tests, a minimum of 2 known-reliable testers would be sufficient (though preferably a third to confirm certain things is also good if at all possible), but that's keeping in mind tester availability as a factor, so if the part is reasonably common then you should be able to get more tests than that.

Tournament usage is good, but I'd never consider something worth banning without testing (again, unless we're talking about a rare part being unstoppable and simply cannot get anyone to test it, though hopefully that will never happen) as there's more margin for error in tournaments - it's first to three, not how many out of 20, and there are a wider range of factors at play.

1. Two tests results is not and should never be representative of a part / combination, but in the case of testers' scarcity, it can only be confirmed further by tournament results, because of point no 2 below.

2. Tournament result is actually the end product. What goes on in a tournament is what defines a meta. If we are all here with this Limited format trying to have a balance meta, then tournament results should never be disregarded, because basically, it describes what the meta is. We can not very well call testing solo in the comfort of our own bedrooms a meta, can we?

Test results and tournament results correlate most of the time, but they are not the same. Personally, I always see test results as a way to show which parts have the potentials to be good, while the tournament result is where it gets proven. If a part gets awesome results, but is never used in a tournament, then we can't simply label it as "harming the meta", no? Because there is really no meta for it.

Wheels like dark and poison have a lot more than one wheel holding them back from usefulness, so if you start travelling down that road you will end up banning more wheels than you make viable between how many parts hold back the bad ones and other things you need to do to maintain type balance. Less clear on tracks and tips but generally again what we currently have is for the most part the last stable level before you start having to make massive bans - cut out RSF and defense crumbles, and trying to fix that by removing RF does even more damage to attack. On the whole this is also why I've stressed that focussing on viability is more important than focussing on the length of the CC list or whatever.
The fact there is a safe level here where things are all relatively even, before the power creep of hell kerbecs, basalt horogium and most of the 4D's is the main reason this format works. I think it makes more sense if you're used to plastics/hms where power creep isn't really much of an issue, but for the most part aside from when they messed up and released Libra, MFB was similarly balanced before the Maximum Series (some proper alternative defense wheels to earth would have been nice, but what can you do).
tl;dr if you apply more foresight and look at it, IMO there's a nice wall between us and the slippery slope to dark v poison.

I can expand upon that to where I see a stable level being at this point with the information we have now - scythe, libra (I definitely hope not for Libra though, narrows defense down too much) and perhaps something in this f230/cf/gcf matter might also go, after that there isn't much else that's a big enough problem/can really be touched unless we unban something only to see it become a problem and have to re-ban it or look at banning another part that makes it problematic, so I figure after a couple more updates we can look at the other things we discussed, possible experimental updates and so on - that discussion might take a while and so that's a good time to have it IMO.

Keep in mind I'm not really interested in banning things for being overused on a permanent basis unless they are affecting type balance or are so significant that people coming to limited tournaments see a one-wheel game (which is my concern about gravity). Aside from that, I don't like the idea of banning things to keep the meta fresh (though obviously we have the discussion to have about experimental bans etc, looking forward to that but as I've said - stable vanilla limited is the first priority so that discussion IMO can wait).

The simple fact is with a limited range of parts and no new ones being introduced that in the end, every format will get stale anyway, so at the core what you want is for the format's actual gameplay to be fun. Generally, formats where attack is viable/competitive are usually considered more fun (eg HMS where defense is basically useless - thankfully MFB has the parts to have our cake and eat it too), so that's another reason aside from the nature of most of the parts why I am generally always going to come across slightly attack biased - as I see it Limited can basically achieve what HMS came close to doing in terms of gameplay - a format where attack is good enough that people will use it, but without the dearth of defense in HMS, and also at least for the time being, without the ridiculous pricetag either. We could consider banning to enforce that, of course, but on the whole, I think again given the nature of the parts we're dealing with, in the end it won't be necessary.

As for the second, I disagree, however I also don't think it is going to matter from this point forward as we've all compromised on Scythe (barring of course someone finding something that wrecks it but rebalances the format) and there's nothing else with the same potential to be rare and broken, barring hasbro releasing more stuff, so you can probably skip it, however as it's a topic of interest, despite the risk of coming across as insane from lack of testers in plastics, I'll give you a full response. It's long though, really long, and as it's not super important I don't really feel like editing it instead of doing other stuff today so yeah. (Click to View)
Also by the by, as a general remark, I have actually considered the idea of "Limited: Limited", the dark/poison/legend wheel etc thing alarmist remarks say limited will turn into (I think Ingulit mentioned this as a "legends league" idea back in the day) - it might be cool to make a thread for that just as a fun/free-play idea kinda thing, or to see if it's even workable in the first place balance wise, but on the whole I think right now, limited is enough and that's something we could look into for keeping people interested and so on if we end up having a long, long wait for the next incarnation of beyblade, especially as it would only distract from testing for other formats (also no way it'll be serious/competitive enough to be a proper thing with the WBO but yeah).

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - [)ragon - Jan. 21, 2014

(Jan. 21, 2014  1:59 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Jan. 20, 2014  6:12 PM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: People seem to still think that I do not consider Gravity F230 broken. I do. It's an abomination to the game and I usually don't give much respect to those who abuse it, but conventional Attack/Stamina are a completely different factor altogether.

I think it is extremely powerful as well, but I don't think it's fair to lower your respect for someone who uses something that they think will give them the best chance to win just because you see it as an "abomination". If something is legal, there's no reason why you shouldn't take advantage of it. If it is truly a problem, it will be banned (as was the case with Gravity). But that has nothing to do with the character of the person using it besides perhaps suggesting that they are trying their best to win (as anybody should be) with what options they have available to them. I think that your displeasure in situations like these is perhaps being misdirected; it should be at the custom/part itself and it's legality, not the person who decides to play within the rules and use it.

Well, I'm talking about experienced people who could easily do well on their own without it, and still decide to spam the heck put of it every single match, even against newbs who they know cannot counter it. Like, we're talking someone who plays 90% of their matches with it nonstop for 8 months, and win like 6 tournaments without using more than one other combo the whole time.

I'm talking about long-term, educated spammers who know the custom is broken, and yet abuse it consistently despite the fact that they know they can do well with other customs. It has a very negative impact on those around them, and they know it does. I would certainly not hold such a person up as a role model for a skilled, competitive player. The players who make tournaments fun are the ones who use diverse, innovative customs and plan sophisticated strategies to take their opponents down in a skillful manner, and are a great sport about it, even when they lose. Not the people who pay no mind to the meta, and then go spam something (next to) impossible to beat and win matches that they shouldn't have won to climb their way to the top.

F230 custom ms are also frowned upon in our community because of what they did to our metagame (which IIRC you guys haven't experienced). It just makes a lot of us upset when we see somebody experienced needlessly abusing it against people who don't.

That said, it's not a matter of actual "respect" in terms of how one converses with/about the person, or one's actions toward that person as an individual. It's more of a matter of how you esteem that person's strategies, and whether or not you would consider them a good model for a competitive player.

You obviously don't just go up to someone abusing F230 and call them a jerk. That would just be plain mean. However, you may not necessarily want to model your blading style after that person's.

Plus, directing your displeasure at the combo itself is a bit inconclusive. Contrary to the ideas of the renowned Ginga Hagane, the bey does not "choose the blader." It's a hunk of metal. It can't help its existence, because it's not alive. Whether or not that combo exists too prevalently in the tournament world comes down entirely to the choice of the bladers with the opportunity to use it.

Of course, there's always the guy who does decide to abuse it, and at that point it does exist in the tournament world, regardless of whether anyone else likes it or not. The last thing we should do is model our playing style after those kinds of people, IMO. It just hurts the game.

That said, I don't really have a problem with someone who throws it out there once in a while if the decision was well thought out. It just drives me nuts when people are like "OH MY PRECIOUS F230 HOW COULD I LIVE WITHOUT YOU TO WIN ALL MY MATCHES FOR ME!" Tongue_out

Just my 2 cents. Joyful_3

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Ingulit - Jan. 22, 2014

I fixed the OP's ban list (Gravity wasn't listed as banned lol), and I updated the explanation section with the newly banned/unbanned parts.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Sıon - Jan. 22, 2014

I dont get why we need to ban parts. Isnt this what beyblade is about, finding a way to defeat your opponent? Besides, there is always going to be a bey that can beat some of these illegal combos... Its rather more like banning top tier combos instead of making the metagame fair. Its like a punishment for finding new uses of parts!

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - th!nk - Jan. 22, 2014

(Jan. 22, 2014  8:02 PM)tac1017 Wrote: I dont get why we need to ban parts. Isnt this what beyblade is about, finding a way to defeat your opponent? Besides, there is always going to be a bey that can beat some of these illegal combos... Its rather more like banning top tier combos instead of making the metagame fair. Its like a punishment for finding new uses of parts!

IDK maybe go play standard then? The entire point of limited is that we have a banlist, and we're still experimenting to get that balance right. By your logic, we should unban everything, because "something will always counter it" - in which case, standard is there. There's a big difference between top tier and so strong the metagame becomes x part and counters to x part.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Sıon - Jan. 22, 2014

if you keep banning top tier beys, combos like Poison Gil 135 GF will be considered competitive!!!

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - th!nk - Jan. 22, 2014

(Jan. 22, 2014  8:10 PM)tac1017 Wrote: if you keep banning top tier beys, combos like Poison Gil 135 GF will be considered competitive!!!

Okay, Ingulit, can you just quote this in the OP or something and say "don't say this because if you think we wouldn't keep that in mind you're being deliberately alarmist and we're all/th!nk is super tired of it."

I mean I've already explained why that simply won't happened within the last page or so and I'm getting super tired of reading it/seeing it pushed as a legitimate argument like there is no middle ground.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Leone19 - Jan. 22, 2014

(Jan. 22, 2014  8:13 PM)th!nk Wrote:
(Jan. 22, 2014  8:10 PM)tac1017 Wrote: if you keep banning top tier beys, combos like Poison Gil 135 GF will be considered competitive!!!

Okay, Ingulit, can you just quote this in the OP or something and say "don't say this because if you think we wouldn't keep that in mind you're being deliberately alarmist and we're all/th!nk is super tired of it."

I mean I've already explained why that simply won't happened within the last page or so and I'm getting super tired of reading it/seeing it pushed as a legitimate argument like there is no middle ground.

In addition to Th!nk's words, I'll mention again that the point of this format is to be completely fair and competitive.

If a combination or part is too over powered and can be considered "dominant" then it will be banned; keeping the format fair.

Detailed Response by Th!nk~

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Kei - Jan. 23, 2014

(Jan. 21, 2014  8:14 PM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: I'm talking about long-term, educated spammers who know the custom is broken, and yet abuse it consistently despite the fact that they know they can do well with other customs. It has a very negative impact on those around them, and they know it does. I would certainly not hold such a person up as a role model for a skilled, competitive player. The players who make tournaments fun are the ones who use diverse, innovative customs and plan sophisticated strategies to take their opponents down in a skillful manner, and are a great sport about it, even when they lose. Not the people who pay no mind to the meta, and then go spam something (next to) impossible to beat and win matches that they shouldn't have won to climb their way to the top.

I wouldn't call that type of person a "skilled, competitive player" either because nobody who is either of those things would use the same custom over and over again. There has never been a customization that is absolutely, 100% the best choice for every situation, so I would call someone who uses something like that naive. That being said, someone who does use a powerful custom repeatedly–within reason–is most certainly a skilled, competitive player because they are being realistic about what the custom in particular is capable of versus the overall metagame. Many combos are much more diversely applicable and versatile than others, so I see nothing wrong with those who choose to use them because of that. They deserve to climb their way to the top because they understand how to use the parts legally available to them; they're playing the game to win, not to be "innovative" (whatever that means).

If someone is blindly trying to be "innovative" in a tournament setting, I have to question whether or not they are actually playing to win or if they actually have any interest in the competitive metagame. If you want to be "innovative", you have to expect that there's a greater chance that you could lose, do you not? From my perspective, being "innovative" is what should happen outside of tournaments; only proven concepts should make their way into a competitive setting if you're serious about trying your best to win, but even then, you are still taking a (hopefully calculated) risk (not that this is necessarily a bad thing if the concept is strong enough, just to be clear). But anyways, yes, spamming anything without thought is absolutely foolish; that much is obvious. People shouldn't be chastised for using powerful customs because they are the logical choice in a particular situation (not any situation), though, even if that happens often because of how versatile it is. And of course, I agree that people should always be good sports whether they win or lose.

(Jan. 21, 2014  8:14 PM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: F230 custom ms are also frowned upon in our community because of what they did to our metagame (which IIRC you guys haven't experienced). It just makes a lot of us upset when we see somebody experienced needlessly abusing it against people who don't.

F230 has seen plenty of use in Toronto. Try taking a look at the Winning Combinations thread. Although, I don't think we have had as much of a problem with it despite its prevalence.

(Jan. 21, 2014  8:14 PM)TheBlackDragon Wrote: Plus, directing your displeasure at the combo itself is a bit inconclusive. Contrary to the ideas of the renowned Ginga Hagane, the bey does not "choose the blader." It's a hunk of metal. It can't help its existence, because it's not alive. Whether or not that combo exists too prevalently in the tournament world comes down entirely to the choice of the bladers with the opportunity to use it.

I see what you're saying, but if a powerful combo exists you can't expect Bladers to not use it if it is legal. You can't ignore something like that in competition.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - [)ragon - Jan. 23, 2014

Oh yah, absolutely.

I'm literally talking about people who constantly abuse it without even thinking. Like, they play 9/10 matches with it, and then lose whenever they don't use it, because they aren't used to calculating risk vs. benefit in their minds.

But, to be fair, when one thing becomes the "best choice" against just about the entire meta, things can get a little boring. Being innovative (perhaps "diverse" would've been a better term) makes everything a lot more enjoyable.

I obviously wouldn't expect someone to just leave a great combo sitting there unused. However, if that custom ended up totally wrecking the entire game, I personally would expect them to tone it down a bit and try to use it more sparingly. It just makes everything more fun and competitive when your opponent's beyblade isn't virtually unbeatable, and you don't go up against the same virtually unbeatable thing every consecutive time.

You know, it just takes the zing out of everything. Tongue_out

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - th!nk - Jan. 23, 2014

I would say not varying things up a bit more with the beys you choose goes against the spirit of limited, and someone who wins despite perhaps not having the absolute top combo in the game has achieved a greater feat than someone who does it through spamming the same combination.

Perhaps, given this topic does come up a lot, someone should make a topic to discuss this, as I do not really think this is the place, but it is an interesting topic that I think a lot of people would have something to say about.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - ~Eclipse~ - Jan. 24, 2014

Nooooo! I just got a gravity for limited attack customs! Why????? Oh well, I'll just stick to a LLD attack combo then, or a Pegasus combo.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Kaneki - Jan. 24, 2014

That's the ban list for you. Bans are a big part of Limited. I wouldn't be that sad. We may see it come back in the future (2-4 months.) Though, I'd stick with the LLD combo for now.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Classik - Jan. 25, 2014

Hmmmm..Synchrom makes sense...i dont get why hyperblades tho...

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Kaneki - Jan. 25, 2014

Why they are banned? Have you tested them or read around? I really get mad when people do stuff like this.

Have you tested the Hyperblades? Most of them would wreck Limited. In fact, I don't think this would be called Limited, haha.

Phantom has amazing stamina. Burn, Earth and Scythe (Metal Fury) would be worthless.
Flash is um... Like... One of the best Attack wheels.

You get where I'm going. I'd say more, but I don't want to type in a load of carp.

Sorry if I come of rude.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - DRAGON KING - Jan. 25, 2014

(Jan. 25, 2014  3:47 AM)Classik Wrote: Hmmmm..Synchrom makes sense...i dont get why hyperblades tho...

They are significantly heavier than most other non- 4D/Hyperblades wheels (yes, I'm looking at you Diablo.) and some would be gamebreaking (*Cough* Phantom, Diablo, Variares, Blitz, Flash etc. *Cough*) against non-4D/hyperblades wheels.

EDIT: Kinda ninja'd by " L " :' (

EDIT 2: @L Duo isn't hyperblade XD

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Ocean - Feb. 01, 2014

(Jan. 25, 2014  3:51 AM)DRAGON KING Wrote:
(Jan. 25, 2014  3:47 AM)Classik Wrote: Hmmmm..Synchrom makes sense...i dont get why hyperblades tho...

They are significantly heavier than most other non- 4D/Hyperblades wheels (yes, I'm looking at you Diablo.) and some would be gamebreaking (*Cough* Phantom, Diablo, Variares, Blitz, Flash etc. *Cough*) against non-4D/hyperblades wheels.

EDIT: Kinda ninja'd by " L " :' (

EDIT 2: @L Duo isn't hyperblade XD

No duo isn't.

5 words: unban RDF and SA165 please.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - [)ragon - Feb. 01, 2014

NO.

That would end limited. Nothing but Meteo/Dragooon/Dark Knight SA165RDF all day long.

I've seen RDF do damage even in Standard believe it or not. RDF (especially with SA165) allows you to build a spin equalizer that is next to impossible to KO. That is not a balanced meta.

Trust me, you don't want it.

Please nobody ask about unbanning SA165/RDF anymore. Chances are it's never going to happen. Too solid for Defense, too much spin-stealing capabilities... it's just a really bad idea in general.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Ocean - Feb. 01, 2014

How about just SA165?

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - Leone19 - Feb. 01, 2014

(Feb. 01, 2014  3:18 PM)Aquamarine Wrote: How about just SA165?

One of Limited's points was to get rid of "big disk Tracks".

SA165 would see lots of use in Stamina (and Spin Steal), even possible use in Defense.

RE: MFB: Limited :: Ban List Discussion - th!nk - Feb. 01, 2014

No.

MF-H Libra SA165RF is hilariously broken alongside a bunch of other stuff, and RDF, do I even need to give that the honor of explaining for the fifth time why it's a stupid idea to unban it? No, I don't think I do. Aquamarine, read back through the thread, everything has been explained already.

I *like* SA165, really, one of my favourite tracks for attack, so if it were not broken I'd absolutely argue in favor of unbanning it, but it would basically be the best track for everything as well as being broken in multiple combinations even with Gravity banned.