World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Recent Purchases - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic Forums (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-General-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Recent Purchases (/Thread-Recent-Purchases)

RE: Recent Purchases - AllGenBlader - Nov. 25, 2011

I got 3 bey today
Ray Striker
and for the Washington tounament , I need more people so pm me, 3rd place prize Midnight Bull

RE: Recent Purchases - Hazel - Nov. 25, 2011

(Nov. 25, 2011  10:06 PM)All Gen Blader Wrote: I got 3 bey today
Ray Striker
and for the Washington tounament , I need more people so pm me, 3rd place prize Midnight Bull

This is not the thread for Beyblade purchases.

RE: Recent Purchases - Robsta - Nov. 26, 2011

(Nov. 25, 2011  8:56 PM)Hazel Wrote:
(Nov. 25, 2011  8:26 AM)Robsta Wrote:
(Nov. 23, 2011  2:10 AM)Hazel Wrote: Children should simply not be allowed to own any animal with an inherent lifespan greater than a year.

That's rubbish. It's important for children to learn how to care for others and a pet is a fantastic way to introduce them to the facts of life such as death.

Unless the parent is going to make sure the pet is actually been seen to properly, rather than buying animals with 10+ year lifespans and going "oh well" when they die in a year, then you're saying it's okay because kids need to learn about death - which is inexcusable. You either clearly missed my point, or you're actually advocating letting children torture pets their empty-skulled parents had no idea about.

Moreover, a textbook will teach a child about life and death, or a roach, or a trip to visit your local morgue. Torturing an animal and cutting short a life that would've been much longer for the sake of demonstrating such a simple lesson is idiotic.

I agree completely that when a child purchases a pet to look after the parents share a large responsibility in looking after that pet too.

What I am saying (and clearly pointed out) is that putting restrictions on what pet a child can own based on that pets lifespan is dumb. Of course pets are to be treated with respect and looked after properly. I'm sorry if you misinterpreted what I had to say but you're silly to think that I have an "oh well" attitude to life and death and that I encourage the killing and torturing of animals or pets. Introducing children to pets that have a tiny life expectancy would only have a negative affect on a child's development. By giving a child a pet that's going till last till next Christmas and be replaced with another would only reinforce the attitude that pets are expendable and as such don't need to be cared for.

Also gaining life experiences from a textbook as you said is te completely wrong atitude to have. I was unfournate enough to witness a man being hit by a car and as a result die from it last year. I had no connection to the man whatsoever but no textbook is adequate enough to describe what I went through and the response I had.

RE: Recent Purchases - Hazel - Nov. 26, 2011

The problem is that parents are, more often than not, just as negligent as their children, and when they buy a pet for a kid(we'll go with budgies as an example!), they think it's an easy, low-maintenance creature that is intended to die in half a year, most of the time. So, since the child is left with a bird that will grow extremely ill-tempered and a parent that will think it is normal, ultimately the bird will suffer.

If a child is given an animal with a full natural lifespan that is not particularly long, but still requires adequate care, the child can associate death with a life well-lived, pertaining to the animal. They can see that nature will run its course even under the best of circumstances. A year is an extremely long time, even for a child, and if the child can get a low-maintenance pet to last its full course, then a more long-lived animal would be the next step up.

I'm not going to play the one-up game on who has seen worse things and recovered by what methods. The fact is that giving a child a pet with the intention of it being a metric for death is just... not even approachable. Even if it's just a dog, the most idiot-proof animal to keep alive(though not necessarily happy), it should still live long enough for the child to be an adult before it dies. Ultimately, it comes down to either buying them a pet that will die young naturally, or a pet they will probably inadvertently kill too young. Killing the animal will also be much more traumatic, compared to it dying naturally and the kid simply seeing the natural final stage of existence.

Pets are not a learning tool regardless. "The realities of death" are not a great enigma, and whether you've seen a thousand dogs die a thousand different deaths or not, the first time you see a human die, it will be completely different.

I am biased, I suppose - I do not think any human being should own any animal unless they can pass an extremely thorough written test on the species in question and provide proof that they have adequate housing means.

RE: Recent Purchases - BeybladeStation - Nov. 26, 2011

Went Black Friday shopping, and well!:

I got brand new Pure.Gear Pure Beats. This is a set of in-ear headphones, which deliver sensational waves of bass! I loved these, and I got them for $8 while the normal price was $50.

I also bought a new Blackberry Playbook for a whopping $329 as a pre-Cyber Monday sale!

Not all kids are ignorant little children who have no capacity to look after a pet. I can understand where you're coming from in regards to birds however. Birds are very complex creatures to look after and are probably not suitable formost children. A dog on the other hand is in my opinion, an ideal pet for a child and is usually kept happy due to the amount of time a child is willing to invest playing with it compared to a teenager or an adult.

Also yes, something dying for the sake of gaining an experience is wrong and I completely agree with you there.

I can honestly say I have never once met a child that did a good job of raising a pet, and I've never once heard of one, either.

You haven't known many children

No, I really have. I grew up in several communities full of children, and I was one myself, with quite a few friends. More than a decade ago, yes, but I'm still perpetually surrounded by children. Big family living in a small area.

I haven't lived in areas with great parents, is the problem. Where I'm from, a view quite the opposite of my own is taken on pets for children. Here, a "good life" for a turtle is 1-2 years, rather than their potential 40~110(depending on species).

Values are, unfortunately, something people have choices about.

RE: Recent Purchases - Chups - Nov. 26, 2011

Take it to PM's guys.

Got a NYY cap for $20. Blue and red Smile

RE: Recent Purchases - howdodelete - Nov. 26, 2011

It's a dinosaur!
Now completes my Shinkenger collection.
Except for that lantern robot...
That thing is pointless XD

RE: Recent Purchases - Wizard - Nov. 26, 2011

(Nov. 26, 2011  6:12 AM)Hazel Wrote: I can honestly say I have never once met a child that did a good job of raising a pet, and I've never once heard of one, either.
I got a dog when I was in 1st grade. He's still alive and I did a great job with him too! I also had another dog at the time, who died of old age when I was in 6th grade. While growing up, I also had 2 cats. One of which we still have, the other lives with my sister. Both are still alive and as healthy as ever. I had a hamster, but it died of cancer when I was in 3rd grade. After my hamster died, I had 2 guinnea pigs. They both died of old age. (They were 8-9 years old) I also had a bird. Now, the bird didn't die of old age, it actually got it's tail feather ripped out by my autistic cousin, and I wanted to hurt him for that, but that's his fault it's dead, not mine.

I also got another dog when I was in 7th grade. She's a Dingo, German Shepard, Chow Chow mix, and she can be pretty aggressive, but I've done a great job training her, and she's kinda like a giant lap dog! XD But I guess she doesn't count because I'm 15 now and I've had her for 3 years?

But the point of my story is, kids can have pets and treat them very well. Most animals live longer in captivity than they would in the wild, so that child might very well be increasing the animals life span. And assuming the child isn't a complete idiot like most seem to be, that pet can be their friend and probably end up getting a very long life span. (Much like my dog that lived to be 16)

Anyways, this is the Recent Purchases thread. You guys should take this to the PM's, or end the conversation before you get some warnings on your mark.

(Nov. 26, 2011  9:50 AM)Chups Wrote: Take it to PM's guys.

Got a NYY cap for $20. Blue and red Smile
Knowing you, of course it would be Blue and Red! *Facepalm* XD

(Nov. 26, 2011  9:54 AM)Goliath Wrote: It's a dinosaur!
Now completes my Shinkenger collection.
Except for that lantern robot...
That thing is pointless XD
This kinda reminds me of some of those toy Power Ranger swords that I used to play with when I was a kid! XD So there are others like this? I might look this thing up! Tongue_out

RE: Recent Purchases - Janstarblast - Nov. 26, 2011

Yeah! I agree Bey-Heart! That Dino-head looks so similar to the Dino Thunder toy line-up!
Also Goliath, even I am pretty much impressed with that thing! I've seen it for the first time tbh. Smile Good buy!

RE: Recent Purchases - howdodelete - Nov. 26, 2011

Thanks.
There's like... 7? figures.
Here's a pic of everything I have (it's not my pic I just have the same things as this person.)

RE: Recent Purchases - Wizard - Nov. 26, 2011

That's way too much like Power Rangers for me! XD

RE: Recent Purchases - Khel - Nov. 26, 2011

[Image: DSCN4150.jpg]

The bottle is Diamine Asa Blue ink for a cool pen I have coming in the mail soon

J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir Intenational Mini Cartridges for my Kaweco Liliput fountain pen.

RE: Recent Purchases - Dan - Nov. 26, 2011

The tears you'll experience when that pen inevitably breaks..

I don't even want to imagine.

I'm pretty sure a few people will know about it if Khel breaks a pen like that...

My mother once spilled a bottle of Diamine ink on our floor when refilling one of her husband's pens.

The stain never came out.

RE: Recent Purchases - Khel - Nov. 27, 2011

Well the pen in the mail is a 1950's Shaeffer Snorkel that has been refurbished. It won't be a heavy writer.

My Kaweco is a modern made fountain pen with a steel nib. The durability of that should provide me with quite a lot of service. But I'll admit if I did break any one of them I would be pissed. The above mentioned Kaweco is still a $50 pen.

Also I am very cautious when filling ink. Prefer to do it near the sink. It can get messy if one is clumsy.

RE: Recent Purchases - Hov - Nov. 27, 2011

Just bought bf3 and it's soooo good and amazing it kinda makes mw3 look trash :v

RE: Recent Purchases - Chups - Nov. 27, 2011

Bey-Heart - huh? I'm confused why is it of course blue and red? Its probably something really obvious but I cant work it out.

Anyway in Melbourne there is this shop called USA foods and it sells all american candy, cereals everything.
Went there with a friend and got a little bit too excited.

There was so much more I wanted to buy.

RE: Recent Purchases - Shabalabadoo - Nov. 27, 2011

Fat Americans.

They don't sell that carp in Australia?

RE: Recent Purchases - Chups - Nov. 27, 2011

We have literally nothing.

australia is a fraud and dont even sell good lollies. disusted. Wink

RE: Recent Purchases - Robsta - Nov. 27, 2011

Dr Pepper is amazing, I wish it replaced coke here in Australia.

RE: Recent Purchases - Janstarblast - Nov. 27, 2011

(Nov. 27, 2011  11:34 AM)Chups Wrote: australia is a fraud and dont even sell good lollies. disusted. Wink
And you sir, have your username after one of the greatest Australian Lolly Company- Chupa Chups! Tongue_out LOL!