World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
WBO Random Thoughts - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+--- Thread: WBO Random Thoughts (/Thread-WBO-Random-Thoughts)

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Neo - May. 31, 2016

(May. 31, 2016  1:41 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: Oh. Yes, I agree. Sorry, just wanted to make it clear that we're totally aware that the complete Beyblade article is the "main" article.

Yes, I remember the process of importing my Gaia Dragoon article, so I am familiar.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - ~Mana~ - May. 31, 2016

I mean, I certainly agree and it's something I've thought about myself at some points. We should certainly be pushing for all three parts to be written at the same time rather than just stray parts, albeit I find it would be easier for us to have a separate draft thread for each part in the Bey, meaning that we can approve them as and when each individual part article is "ready".

As for Part Articles in themselves; the idea is that the part article also contains more about that specific part. Currently, we have those articles list all products that the part is included in, and also a gallery for that part as well. I definitely don't see the issue with having Parts Articles at all, though I do see the issue with Beyblade articles only being partially completed as a result of this.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Kai-V - May. 31, 2016

But the real issue here is that very few people are contributing and writing about parts at all... I think the Beywiki Editors and I have been very prompt to comment on, improve and approve part drafts whenever they got posted, so the core of the problem is the fact that almost no drafts are getting posted.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Ultra - May. 31, 2016

(May. 31, 2016  2:33 AM)Kai-V Wrote: But the real issue here is that very few people are contributing and writing about parts at all... I think the Beywiki Editors and I have been very prompt to comment on, improve and approve part drafts whenever they got posted, so the core of the problem is the fact that almost no drafts are getting posted.

Yeah but this isn't a particularly new problem. Beywiki has always struggled to get people to contribute.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Kai-V - May. 31, 2016

Its degree has certainly varied.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Ultra - May. 31, 2016

I suppose. My concern is that as it seems to happening now we'll have part articles for the good parts made and then the bad parts will fall by the wayside so a complete article for a lot of beyblades won't be possible.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Cookie Bouquets - Jun. 01, 2016

(May. 31, 2016  8:29 PM)Ultra Wrote: I suppose. My concern is that as it seems to happening now we'll have part articles for the good parts made and then the bad parts will fall by the wayside so a complete article for a lot of beyblades won't be possible.

Writing about good parts is a lot easier than writing about bad parts haha.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Kai-V - Jun. 01, 2016

I think it should be the contrary actually hah. Isn't it easier to explain why a part performs badly, what is wrong with it, rather than what makes it really stand out from the rest?

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - ForZ - Jun. 01, 2016

(Jun. 01, 2016  2:46 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I think it should be the contrary actually hah. Isn't it easier to explain why a part performs badly, what is wrong with it, rather than what makes it really stand out from the rest?

From my limited time writing descriptions of audio equipment, I've found that if you enjoy something or hate something, it's much easier to write about. With the popular parts, (Revolve, Tri Wing, Bearing Core) almost everyone loves them or hates them. You can ask most people here what their opinions of it are or what their experiences with it have been. But with the bad parts, they often get tossed by the wayside. You don't buy Bull 125SF for the lackluster tip, if that were to come out today people would just shrug and keep using literally any other bottom. You're completely alone writing about something nobody else wants to. This also makes it pretty hard to play devil's advocate when something everybody universally agrees on is bad comes your way and you see potential.

TL;DR: It's hard to find 400 interesting ways to say "this sucks."

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Neo - Jun. 02, 2016

(Jun. 01, 2016  3:38 AM)ForZ Wrote:
(Jun. 01, 2016  2:46 AM)Kai-V Wrote: I think it should be the contrary actually hah. Isn't it easier to explain why a part performs badly, what is wrong with it, rather than what makes it really stand out from the rest?

From my limited time writing descriptions of audio equipment, I've found that if you enjoy something or hate something, it's much easier to write about. With the popular parts, (Revolve, Tri Wing, Bearing Core) almost everyone loves them or hates them. You can ask most people here what their opinions of it are or what their experiences with it have been. But with the bad parts, they often get tossed by the wayside. You don't buy Bull 125SF for the lackluster tip, if that were to come out today people would just shrug and keep using literally any other bottom. You're completely alone writing about something nobody else wants to. This also makes it pretty hard to play devil's advocate when something everybody universally agrees on is bad comes your way and you see potential.

TL;DR: It's hard to find 400 interesting ways to say "this sucks."

I completely second this.
There are only so many ways before you start using the "TRASH" stamp.
Well said.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Kai-V - Jun. 02, 2016

On the other hand, we can also be at a loss with how to describe that a part is top-tier.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - ForZ - Jun. 02, 2016

(Jun. 02, 2016  4:29 AM)Kai-V Wrote: On the other hand, we can also be at a loss with how to describe that a part is top-tier.

You have a good point. As I said in my earlier post I used to write some reviews about audio equipment. This makes me very aware of what you mean, as there is no way to quantify the goodness of the piece of equipment you're using. For example, a pair of Grado SR225s will sound very different than a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s, despite being considered equally good at the same price point. At least with Bey parts you can do definite tests in battle and stamina tests alone, but tests aren't part of writing about audio equipment. It's literally all opinion.

Anyway, the thing about writing a review based solely on opinion is that it isn't going to be a good review if you only focus on your opinion. You might find one like-minded person that trusts what you say implicitly, but it's much better to consult your peers in these matters. Get their opinion, their take. This stuff was all drilled into me and it's just my opinion. Looking back at this post I'm not even sure I got my point across but I'm too lazy to redo it.

Tl;DR: I ask for input from my peers to help me finish my work. Maybe a bit too much :\

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - ~Mana~ - Jun. 02, 2016

Well, let's turn it on it's head slightly; do you have any suggestions on how you'd like to see this process take place, and would make you more comfortable contributing in the long run? I'm pretty much open to ideas on it all.

Naturally, I agree with the problem at hand, though I also agree with Kai-V's points on lacking the manpower and/or editor interest to complete all three parts. I'd just like to hear your ideas, haha.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - FIREFIRE CPB - Jun. 05, 2016

[Image: 29y419s.png]

lol i'm reading cooking thread? i thought i was viewing my profile

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Jun. 05, 2016

There's a delay when the action shows. Does this kinda thing really matter ...

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - ~Mana~ - Jun. 05, 2016

I mean, I'd hope you know exactly what you're reading anyway. Not sure why you feel the need to check yourself, haha.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - DRAGON KING - Jun. 07, 2016

Most of the gaps between numbers of posts per user on the members list is under 100, the top 2 posters have a 12,000+ post gap. Damn.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - ThaKingTai - Jul. 01, 2016

Wow, the Mentors' Forum has really died out. That kinda sucks as it was a goal that I was reaching towards. But I'm sure once Burst picks up worldwide, it'll pick up.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Ultra - Jul. 01, 2016

(Jul. 01, 2016  3:39 AM)ThaKingTai Wrote: Wow, the Mentors' Forum has really died out. That kinda sucks as it was a goal that I was reaching towards. But I'm sure once Burst picks up worldwide, it'll pick up.

It's never really been active though? It's pretty much always been dead throughout it's life even when it the advanced members section too so i'm not sure what period of activity you're really referring to haha.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - RDF3 - Jul. 29, 2016

The Advanced forum is pretty closed off for normal members, so that might explain why it's quite quiet there- it's sacred ground for those who have mastered the art of beyblade.

Anyway, does anyone here know of th!nk's whereabouts? The last I heard of him was way back in 2014 IIRC.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Dual - Jul. 29, 2016

There was a little incident here regarding the releasing of combos used in qualifying tournaments leading up to the National Championship, I believe. Th!nk left (for good, it seemed) after that.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - RDF3 - Jul. 29, 2016

(Jul. 29, 2016  5:32 PM)Dual Wrote: There was a little incident here regarding the releasing of combos used in qualifying tournaments leading up to the National Championship, I believe. Th!nk left (for good, it seemed) after that.
Yeah, IIRC he had a disagreement with the mods and got warned up to 90% because of that. He basically didn't log back on afterwards. Too bad, his knowledge of plastics is very, very advanced.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Jul. 29, 2016

The way things went down with th!nk is regrettable. Would love to chat with him some time.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - FIREFIRE CPB - Jul. 29, 2016

anyone else noticed that we are just 835 members from having 100000 members?

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Jul. 29, 2016

(Jul. 29, 2016  8:42 PM)FIREFIRE CPB Wrote: anyone else noticed that we are just 835 members from having 100000 members?

Most of those members are inactive and a huge portion are bots/spammers. I wouldn't put much stock in that number.