World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
WBO Random Thoughts - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+--- Thread: WBO Random Thoughts (/Thread-WBO-Random-Thoughts)

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Kai-V - Jul. 05, 2015

We will actually have an option for retired Bladers, ideally. There is not really any reason someone's legacy since the beginning of the site should be reset.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Jinbee - Jul. 05, 2015

Maybe have a section counting overall points and a section for usable points of that one year?

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Hato - Jul. 05, 2015

The Great and Powerful Noc Has Spoken!

About resetting scores: I find the resetting BeyPoints yearly idea interesting as I feel like putting everybody at zero instead of having one whole rank for a long while would be like resetting somebody's video game, again and again.. People don't want it, but we could do it.. Interesting thought; should expand further, GAPN (Great And Powerful Noc, respectively Wink )

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Kei - Jul. 05, 2015

(Jul. 05, 2015  1:17 PM)Hato Wrote: While your at it, how about you reset BeyPoints so we all have a fair chance? Smug

But seriously; we would have 2 different types of BeyPoints? That might be confusing for newer/younger members..

But everyone has a fair chance right now! It's hard to climb the rankings with a losing record, though. Wink

The idea is for there to be separate rankings for each format, but also a Global BeyRank that combines them all (in a method that has not been entirely determined yet, so I won't talk about it). The default ranking that will be shown is the Global BeyRank which considers your performance across all formats, so it won't be confusing.

Nocto Wrote:You just have to look at Bluezee and Deikalo's ranking to notice how silly it is for members banned three years ago to still be in the top 40.

Which is why we will be implementing a "Retired" player feature that will remove them from the rankings if they haven't played in X amount of time.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - LMAO - Jul. 05, 2015

If you are to do the retired player thing, it should be for players who haven't played in 12-18 months. Just so it's fair. One example is Wally.web, he came back after a year even though we thought he was retired. So it should definitely be more than a year of not playing.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Kei - Jul. 05, 2015

(Jul. 05, 2015  10:57 PM)LMAO Wrote: If you are to do the retired player thing, it should be for players who haven't played in 12-18 months. Just so it's fair. One example is Wally.web, he came back after a year even though we thought he was retired. So it should definitely be more than a year of not playing.

The idea right now is for players who return after being marked as "retired" will be inserted back into the rankings with whatever their BeyPoint total was beforehand. They don't suddenly lose everything they accomplished while active when they are marked as "retired"; that wouldn't be fair. Their past accomplishments still mean something, just like those of players who played continuously without "retiring". Players will just removed from the rankings so that they can become reflective of who the most recent 'best' players are.

But yes, it will be at least one year–or maybe a little more–before a player would be marked as "retired".

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Jul. 06, 2015

Plus, a retired player can start playing again at any time with all of their previous battle records intact. It's really just about presenting a clear and accurate picture of the current competitive status.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Nocto - Jul. 06, 2015

Your accomplishments--your legacy, as Kai-V puts it--already exist in the form of Faces, as your overbearingly long Face Wall clearly demonstrates. Besides, resetting the score doesn't erase the battles, not really, anyway: Those records can be backed up, and even be released to the public, and then absolutely nothing is lost.

As for being fair to old players, I'd say your solution detracts from being fair to the new. A new player has to be relentless in attendance and performance to even hope to maybe measure up to a high ranking player, who only needs to maintain an average win rate, with very little need for battle, to keep his place, or stay close to his place. In that regard, retiring doesn't make the system wholly better or more sensible, especially if the high ranking player can just come back and recover everything, not to mention doing so after having potentially skipped various formats.

What the committee should ask itself is whether BeyPoints are supposed to track a series of competitive events or supposed to be a nostalgic mirror into past deeds. A system that resets has the benefits of being equally fair for new and old players, as previous records and awards do not disappear, time-saving, since any occurring problem can affect at most a year (meaning no reprocessing of years of data because you made a change to your system. I say this knowing you're trying to remedy the need for laborious manual intervention) and more accurate. One that does not is good for looking back fondly at old memories.

On the point of "relentless attendance", I feel I should specify that it will always be a factor of bias in the sense that some area will always be more active than others, but that I would not suggest that it is unfair for a player who plays often to be rewarded for it.

P.S. What warrants this title, Hato?

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - LMAO - Jul. 07, 2015

What's with the random weird avatars in the default gallery?

I see several pictures of like penguins and cartoon characters.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Wizard - Jul. 07, 2015

(Jul. 07, 2015  1:46 AM)LMAO Wrote: What's with the random weird avatars in the default gallery?

I see several pictures of like penguins and cartoon characters.

They might have been placed by default since we run on MyBB, or it's possible that they were packaged with another extension. It is odd, though.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Jul. 07, 2015

Those are MyBB's defaults, correct.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - BurstGen98 - Jul. 07, 2015

Four yeas ago, this site banned a member. I will not say his name out of respect for his privacy. However, the circumstances under which he was banned seem to me very suspicious. For this reason, I feel the need to speak out. He was banned from any possibility of playing the game he then loved competitively because of something he said in a moment of anger on another site, outside the jurisdiction of WBO staff, Furthermore, he was ridiculed and accused of all sorts of things he didn't do even after he was banned. Reminds me of a show trial in North Korea or the USSR... To make matters worse, he was only 13 at the time and didn't know any better. Once again, I apologize if this is harshly worded, but this issue has bothered me for a while.

As a side note, this member, now 17, has received several college scholarship offers and may compete in the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials for Swimming while those who banned him play with tops. Karma always catches up.

(I am not the banned member, you can check IP's or do whatever else you want to confirm this. I understand that I risk receiving a ban for this but I feel that in this case I need to speak up.)

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Wizard - Jul. 07, 2015

(Jul. 07, 2015  7:22 PM)BurstGen98 Wrote: As a side note, this member, now 17, has received several college scholarship offers and may compete in the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials for Swimming while those who banned him play with tops. Karma always catches up.

You play with tops too, that's why you're here. That comment is quite disrespectful to the staff, they have some pretty neat accomplishments too.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Hato - Jul. 07, 2015

ok, let me call you out on this:

Tell us the story. How are we supposed to get facts from this? Tell us the story and what happened, "suspiciously banned" doesn't prove anything. What I'm getting from this is he probably said something really bad, probably about WBO or a staff member, and got banned for it..? Hard to imagine that; no description at all to the story.

Also, if he got banned because he said something out of anger; probably really bad. Also, the fact that he is 13 doesn't change anything. I am 13, I am mature enough to actual think about something before I post... Mitsu, a very reliable member, who is 12, knows better. He has been on here for 2 years. Age doesn't change the fact this member did what he did.

Also, it's not karma that he might be in the Olympics.. If you seriously want to think that, then let's say he probably joined swimming after he got banned, basically meaning we helped him. I do not see how this is karma for us.. He made a mistake, and probably knows better now, but people make mistakes and need to be punished for it. The karma part: it's like how LeBron James never got onto his high school basketball team; it's not karma, just proving he got better.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - Jinbee - Jul. 07, 2015

Okay I'm sorry but I hate when she was used as an excuse, some of us here are 13 or even younger, if you're not gonna say his name, there's nothing we can do.

EDIT: Mitsu is 12?! He acts so much more mature and I thought he was like 16-18 or something.

If it really needs to be known, the name was Beyblast 98.

Also, age IS an excuse. While there may be exceptions, scientific evidence shows that the regions of the brain that help in making responsible decisions are very under-developed until age 19 or 20 in most people. This is why most countries have shorter prison terms, less harsh punishments, and no death penalty for minors.

Ah, I knew you were talking about Beyblast98, how on earth did I figure THAT out?

What is it that makes you support him enough to warrant his unban, he probably has moved on by now.

Well, that's what Jinbee and I thought.. Smile

Hato Wrote:http://worldbeyblade.org/User-Beyblast98

Banned 4 years ago, GP as avatar, similar names, BurstGen98 is new: we got this.

From the PMs.

RE: WBO Random Thoughts - LMAO - Jul. 07, 2015

Whether he swims or not, we really don't care. He was banned for reasons, there is never any faulty reason for someone getting banned on the WBO. It was the Administrators call and they decided to ban him.

A lot of us here are successful as well, so your point in saying that karma got us back is completely irrelevant.

Another thing, how do you know this person so well? You talk as if it's you. IP address can easily be different if you moved since 4 years ago.

Yes, because people who were banned would be so obvious about it, and someone who didn't even play Beyblade anymore would totally come back, right?

Adding on to LMAO, HE isn't the only one to have successful lives I'm sure.

Also, how is it that you know so much about this guy? This member of almost 100,000 members?

He is my teammate at swimming. I'm simply looking out for a teammate right now.

Was the WBO ban really a big deal for him though? As an adult, he should very well let it pass.

(Jul. 07, 2015  8:05 PM)BurstGen98 Wrote: Yes, because people who were banned would be so obvious about it, and someone who didn't even play Beyblade anymore would totally come back, right?

People do come back if they don't play still...

Honestly, I think you are Beyblast98 and I really don't understand your post about him/you getting banned.

He's very determined and for whatever reason doesn't just let things go that anger him. I once had to break up a fight between him and someone who stole his backpack when he was 6.

EDIT: You can have whatever opinion you want about me, I'm only here to look out for a teammate and good friend as I said, and I do take things that happen to my friends seriously.