World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+---- Forum: News (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-News)
+---- Thread: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! (/Thread-Beypoint-System-Renovation-New-Face-Contests)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Kai-V - Sep. 19, 2012

Good day World Bladers!

Hundreds of tournaments later, years of use later, new situations have arisen in our region-based communities that necessitate a change of the formula used in the Beypoint System. In the goal of getting a more accurate and fair calculation of the Beypoints involved in matches of an event, we are therefore temporarily halting the processing of the tournaments currently in the Beypoint Queue as well as those that are coming up, right until the formula has been modified and is all ready for use. However, we will continue with the processing of Credits and Faces for each tournament! We have added a new section in the BeyPoints Queue thread titled "Faces and Credits Awarded" which lists the tournaments that have had this done.

In short, the new formula will be designed not to punish losers as severely, but also not restrict highly ranked Bladers from gaining points at the peak of their career: it wasn't rare that a player lost Beypoints and fell in the rankings from coming third! This is insane!
Furthermore, tournament size will be taken into consideration in this new calculation: indeed, winning against 28 Bladers is more complicated than coming first against 8 Bladers, wouldn't you say? Double Elimination, which is usually used at tournaments with a high attendance, is also more dangerous to come out victorious from than when you can easily lose just a few times without worrying, heh?

We do not have a clear estimate of the delay this will create, but rest assured, this is not the end at all of the Beypoint System: it's in fact a real renaissance! If, however, we observed that the changes took much longer than expected, we would then consider resuming the processing of some more tournaments in the mean time.

This does not mean that we will be more lax on the reception of the results and funds from upcoming tournaments though, and just as many events will keep being approved, which is why, in many cases, we need to make sure that the previous tournaments from that region or that host were all cleared before a new one goes ahead.

So, we would simply like to ask for your collaboration during this period. We will of course try to make it as short as possible since we know that you can't wait to compare how you rank compared to others in your area or around the world. This is really in everyone's best interest, since everyone will have a fair chance now!

---------------------------------------

Not that this was grave news, but here's also some exciting news: today is the beginning of a new series of Face Contests: "Design this upcoming Beyblade!".

Every once in a while, a Face Contest will be started where you will be challenged to imagine what a future Beyblade release will look like. What's even more awesome about this is that the only judge will be time!! In other words, whoever has the design closest to the actual Beyblade that gets released by TAKARA-TOMY will win! Moreover, this winner will actually get the product they designed!!

The first Face Contest to open this series is: "Design Bandid Gamble!" While the name's spelling is not confirmed, we can guess that it is based on Genbu, so it'll be interesting to see what turtle-based designs you can come up with!

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Face-Contest-Design-Bandid-Gamble

Contain your excitement though: we know you love these design Face Contests, but due to the variable and unpredictable nature of the future, perhaps there will be some months without any Face Contests from this series, because this or that release's picture has been leaked too early, for instance! Hey, it's not impossible that there's a downside to always getting the hottest Beyblade news exclusively! But we'll be sure to make the fun exist as often as possible! If something gets officially revealed before the Face Contest is over, also, that means we will have to end it early, for obvious reasons.

We hope you are all excited by these pieces of news, and still look forward to more awesome announcements, as usual!

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Dark_Mousy - Sep. 19, 2012

What kind of changes to the beypoint system can we expect? What regions does it affect[/spoiler]

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - YsTrY7oN - Sep. 19, 2012

That is amazing, thanks Kai-V for the news !

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Hazel - Sep. 19, 2012

(Sep. 19, 2012  5:35 PM)Dark_Mousy Wrote: What kind of changes to the beypoint system can we expect? What regions does it affect

The changes are explained in as much detail as we can offer right now in the OP.

It will affect every single region without prejudice. Rest assured that this is in absolutely every way a benefit to the entire World Beyblade Organization.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Primus - Sep. 19, 2012

Quote:Furthermore, tournament size will be taken into consideration in this new calculation: indeed, winning against 28 Bladers is more complicated than coming first against 8 Bladers, wouldn't you say? Double Elimination, which is usually used at tournaments with a high attendance, is also more dangerous to come out victorious from than when you can easily lose just a few times without worrying, heh?

That is a good point. It is also easier for an experienced blader to win a contest with many first time / younger contestants at the event. If there are only 10 bladers competing who are all ranked in the top 100, it would be harder to win that event than a contest with 20 bladers who are new or ranked low with one or two experienced bladers dominating the outmatched opponents. I know in most of the NC tournaments there is not many matches to be taken lightly because the ever expanding core blading group is experienced enough to win.

My point being, it is not numbers alone that complicate the path to victory as much as it is the quality of the opponents.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Uwik - Sep. 19, 2012

If you guys have any question or concern, now will be a good time to inquire. We will do our best to answer them whenever possible.

Having said that, the OP is definitely worth reading more than once to grasp the general understanding of the upgrade.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Arupaeo - Sep. 19, 2012

Inb4 someone says that Arupaeo's fingers are just getting tired Wink

In all seriousness though, Kai-V has summarized the changes very well, and I think that the evolution of the BeyPoints system will have an overwhelmingly positive impact on Bladers of all skill levels.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Ultra - Sep. 19, 2012

Doesn't interest me. I can't draw at all. Something to motivate people to test Zero G's is what's needed IMO.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Kai-V - Sep. 19, 2012

(Sep. 19, 2012  7:21 PM)Ultra Wrote: Doesn't interest me. I can't draw at all. Something to motivate people to test Zero G's is what's needed IMO.

You are not really seeing the bigger problem : overall activity decrease. If there is nobody visiting this site, of course that means that the group that can test will come less too.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Dum Spiro Pugno - Sep. 19, 2012

Nice. I'm looking forward to this.

(Sep. 19, 2012  7:25 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Sep. 19, 2012  7:21 PM)Ultra Wrote: Doesn't interest me. I can't draw at all. Something to motivate people to test Zero G's is what's needed IMO.

You are not really seeing the bigger problem : overall activity decrease. If there is nobody visiting this site, of course that means that the group that can test will come less too.

And this helps combat overall activity decrease how exactly?

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Luck - Sep. 19, 2012

Am i the only that's interested in the face contest? Joyful_2
does anyone know when they'll be starting?

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Justaway - Sep. 19, 2012

I agree with Primus. It's quality over quantity in terms of beyblading. It is very easy to beat 28 rookies compared to 4 pros. So, the number doesn't determine the toughness of the event. Instead, the average beypoints of the participants should be considered. They will determine how challenging the event was and also how skilled one must be to make it to the top.

Secondly, I agree with the changes being made for the loss of beypoints. It is indeed quite frustrating when you come 3rd in an event, only to find your beypoints being lesser than the person who came 4th.

Also, I agree with Ultra. There need to be changes made for testing stuff than for drawing it. It's a different thing that I can do neither(I dont have a launcher ATM XD). However, we really need testing for the new series more than anything else. It's true though that there also needs to be something done to encourage overall activity on the WBO.

(Sep. 19, 2012  7:33 PM)Ultra Wrote: And this helps combat overall activity decrease how exactly?

Eh, perhaps this shows that some people are naturally meant to be administrators, and others are not.

(Sep. 19, 2012  8:24 PM)Luck Wrote: Am i the only that's interested in the face contest? Joyful_2
does anyone know when they'll be starting?

If you read the opening post, there is already one right now : Design Bandid Gamble!. It is in the Beyblade General forum ...

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - BillyBlast - Sep. 19, 2012

This is pretty cool! I know Aru has been wanting this XD.
And, now I might not lose my rank fully from my recent tounrnament fails.

(Sep. 19, 2012  8:57 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Sep. 19, 2012  7:33 PM)Ultra Wrote: And this helps combat overall activity decrease how exactly?

Eh, perhaps this shows that some people are naturally meant to be administrators, and others are not.

As much as i'm aware how unsuitable I am I did actually want a proper answer.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - ~Mana~ - Sep. 19, 2012

I can't deny that I agree with Ultra, I fail to see how it'll increase activity?

You seem to be suggesting that Bladers have been quitting the site just because they dropped a BeyRank or two from a tournament. Revamping the Points System will merely combat that problem, it's not gonna increase activity at all, since you aren't advertising the site; it'll just keep the same users you've had the entire time.

(Sep. 19, 2012  9:48 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: I can't deny that I agree with Ultra, I fail to see how it'll increase activity?

You seem to be suggesting that Bladers have been quitting the site just because they dropped a BeyRank or two from a tournament. Revamping the Points System will merely combat that problem, it's not gonna increase activity at all, since you aren't advertising the site; it'll just keep the same users you've had the entire time.

This announcement has two parts.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Ga' - Sep. 19, 2012

Nah, I'm pretty sure it's because Arupaeo's fingers are just getting tired.

Seriously, this is great! I can't wait to design the new Bandid Gamble haha, let's see if I can get some good ideas this time.

The new points system is also a relief.

(Sep. 19, 2012  10:29 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: Nah, I'm pretty sure it's because Arupaeo's fingers are just getting tired.

A pause before a sprint will not make you less ankylosed though, hah. This is probably what will happen, in a huge way.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Ga' - Sep. 19, 2012

Sarcasm is lost through the internet sadly. I was referring to his post haha.
Although I'm sure a vacation in Myrtle Beach and some overseas business trips would help to relax those magical fingers!

I know your comment was sarcastic, I was just further explaining that we would not be relaxing at all in the next few weeks, hah.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Kei - Sep. 20, 2012

I can't wait to see this implemented! Unfortunately, Bladers who are not highly ranked may not entirely understand what the problem was, but the simplest way I can put it is this: the current system inherently discourages highly ranked Bladers from competing in tournaments. This is because the chance of losing BeyPoints (ie. your rank) is much greater than the chance of you gaining BeyPoints; if you're a highly ranked Blader in our current system, if you want to stay that way, you'd be better off not playing at all so that your rank is protected.

Essentially, this new system will allow highly ranked Bladers to continue playing without the constant fear of a massive loss of BeyPoints, with very little potential for growth. It's a huge psychological downer for these players in our current system, as Arupaeo once put it. The way I see it, if a Blader is skilled enough to climb the rankings, it shouldn't be taken away from them so easily after one or two bad tournaments (and by "bad", I mean like ... two or three losses!). However, in addition to this, newer Bladers will be able to catch up to highly ranked Bladers, since they will be earning more points for their wins than the highly ranked Bladers.

(Sep. 19, 2012  7:33 PM)Ultra Wrote:
(Sep. 19, 2012  7:25 PM)Kai-V Wrote:

And this helps combat overall activity decrease how exactly?

This wasn't necessarily the point of this particular announcement, but one way that this change does promote activity (in an arguably more positive way than encouraging people to test, for example) is that tournament hosts and members of communities across the globe will now have an incentive to bring as many Bladers as possible into their tournaments. An extremely important part of what the WBO is about is bringing people together to play Beyblade competitively. This change encourages that! And it encourages the best Bladers to continue playing, rather than protect their ranking, too.

(Sep. 19, 2012  8:26 PM)N0body Wrote: I agree with Primus. It's quality over quantity in terms of beyblading. It is very easy to beat 28 rookies compared to 4 pros. So, the number doesn't determine the toughness of the event. Instead, the average beypoints of the participants should be considered. They will determine how challenging the event was and also how skilled one must be to make it to the top.

You/Primus do have a point, but I would argue that a tournament of 28 Bladers has a better chance of including more "pro" Bladers than a tournament of 8 Bladers does. Don't you agree? How Kai-V worded the mention of the tournament size variable in the announcement is quite telling as well, if you take a closer look at it:

Kai-V Wrote:winning against 28 Bladers is more complicated than coming first against 8 Bladers, wouldn't you say?

It is more complicated! If you play in a large block round robin tournament, for example, you'd first have to compete in your initial block, which may or may not have one or two other "strong" Bladers in it. If you're successful there, you move onto the finals block which is filled with all of the best Bladers from the rest of the tournament. That in itself essentially becomes the type of tournament that Primus was suggesting, where you have a large concentration of skilled Bladers in a small, eight person tournament.

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Pruebame - Sep. 20, 2012

TBH- I like the newer system. I can honestly say that as my son ended up with a good ranking for him, many times the conversation came up about how much he could lose by competing.
Good job everyone. I like the ideaSmile

RE: Beypoint System Renovation & New Face Contests! - Justaway - Sep. 20, 2012

Yes. I agree. There are more chances of facing tough opponents in an event where the number of participants is many. However, there are possible scenarios in that case:
1. You get through your block and face a challenging opponent. You defeat him and face another pro. And so on..
In this case, as you said, the level needed to get through will be higher. Because at every stage, you will face an opponent who is the best in his block.

2. This case is common in Pune and Bangalore from what I know.
There is one blader who has the best parts. All opponents are rookies. Getting to the top is a cakewalk for him.
In this case, round robin with 8 'good' bladers will indeed be tougher.

However, the 2nd scenario is not very common. So, the renovation will indeed help the majority.

This renovation also brings good news for bladers with 1200+ beypoints.TBH, I never went to an event because I didn't want to lose my hard-earned beypoints Now I dont need to worry about JSB beating me and making me lose 20 or so beypoints XD