World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
Beypoint Processing - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+--- Thread: Beypoint Processing (/Thread-Beypoint-Processing)

Pages: 1 2 3

Beypoint Processing - Deikailo - Jul. 29, 2011

Hey, WBO, Imma whine like a noob for a second here. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

I've noticed that any metagame that has a mod/committee member in it gets their beypoints processed instantaneously whereas communities without power figures have to wait weeks/months. I'm really diggin' the "taxation without representation" deal here. We pay you, we have to wait for results? I'm not feeling this.

I got it, you guys have lives, we know, so why not do such a thing like "ambassadors"? People with mod powers restricting to beyrank only. I.E. ambassador of NY, Perth, Maryland, Vegas, etc.

You trust us to deliver you accurate results already. Why not let us submit them, too? Worst case scenario you can just delete the battles if you feel as though there could be a discrepancy. Not that hard. Once they are established as trustworthy, you give them the ability to do this. They could also be in charge of coordinating and overseeing their community, as we already are, but at least now we have the tools to help them.

RE: Beypoint Processing - KCPJ - Jul. 29, 2011

I guess so,it kind of get aggrivating if you don't see your new points in a while Uncertain

RE: Beypoint Processing - th!nk - Jul. 29, 2011

I personally like this idea. I've got the time and I'd think the ability to process battles (trustworthiness I obviously can't speak for without bias), and seeing as it's hosts who tend to be nagged about results being unprocessed, sharing the "burden" with people who are willing and fit to bear it surely is not a huge issue. As said, you have the ability to delete battles if something seems wrong, but IMO there is relatively little difference in authenticity between you processing them and a tournament host processing them. There is little extra ground for any possible dishonesty because in both cases results are taken as reported by the host/judge.

If anyone complains, the result is the same in both cases. If there is a result a host feels is questionable, the committee would obviously be consulted before the results were entered by the host.

Yes, maybe it is selfish of me to say this (though obviously I don't know if I'd be considered trustworthy enough), but it would also give the committee more time to actually do other stuff, something which it seems you are sorely in need of, from what I gather.

Maybe my limited scope is causing me to miss something, but I really don't see the downside, if you trust someone enough to report the results accurately, trusting them to enter them is just repetition. Even so, obviously only trusted users should be allowed to enter these results, which would prevent abuse such as that which occurred back before I was a member. Still, again either way you trust people to report the results correctly, then what extra risk is taken by trusting them to enter them?

Yes, long way of saying "why not?" but I think this is important enough, considering the rate at which the WBO is growing, to address it as best I can.

RE: Beypoint Processing - Deikailo - Jul. 29, 2011

I think the only thing the committee would have to be weary of is the deletion of current results, but that would become rather obvious and could result in an instant ban. A solution for that could just be the committee enabling the power to edit beypoints only during the day of the tournament and maybe three days past it.

This is true, again I don't really know the system and what level of control is possible, but that shouldn't be an issue, given the trustworthiness criteria. Plus, an instant ban is a hefty thing, and of course I would still expect to need to PM the results to the committee first, so there would be a record, at least in hosts sent folders (and in my case, I normally have the results on paper and stored in a folder on my computer anyway).

RE: Beypoint Processing - Kai-V - Jul. 29, 2011

If you all concentrated on at least sending us the results without any stupid mistakes like a space missing in someone's username where we have to delete everything and start all over from that mistake, then I would take this more seriously. We have become so annoyed by all those idiotic but highly important mistakes that we are considering adding this rule : if we have to delete any results not because of our own mistake reading something, then we will delete everything and simply not reprocess the results for that tournament. It has become incredibly irritating and I do not think all tournament organisers realise it. We cannot keep merging accounts either.

Furthermore, this thread's suggestion will never happen anyway : to process results, you necessarily need to be an administrator/Committee Member, and there is an obvious reason why we are not adding more Committee Members.

Plus, in case you also do not realise it, it has become a necessity to attribute everyone's Credits right after you have processed a tournament, and that also takes time.

The reason it takes a while between each tournament, in my case, is also because I need the tournament organisers to tell me if there are any mistakes preferably before I process another event ...

Finally, there is the issue of people changing usernames almost right after the event happened ...

The last one would be better handled by this, as we find out about that before the committee usually, and there is less time for them to change the names if tourneys are processed faster.

I take effort to make sure I get my results correct when sent, and am quite sure I haven't had spacing errors. Again, that's why only certain people could be allowed to do it.

Nonetheless, if it is not possible to grant the powers, then the discussion is pointless. :\

It is definitely not possible, and while I was not necessarily referring to you, you have no idea how many tournament results had to be deleted and reprocessed.

You're right; I don't. But I was more referring to why HPT3 was processed before IKMV's tournament, which occurred before HPT3. Is it necessarily fair that events that committee competes in are at highest priority?

They are not of higher priority. I suppose humans do what is the easiest to do. I doubt it is an act of egoism.

So, what does everyone think about my idea to not reprocess results if we have to delete anything ?

It isn't easy to process results as soon as possible instead of letting them build up over time? Then again, I am not a very organized person so I would not be able to keep an accurate record of what order everything occurred in. Maybe you are better at that.

I mean, what's easier on you; adding every match or chancing it and occasionally deleting some of them?

I......DISAGREE!!!jkjkI think you shouldn't just in case there is a mistake

Eh, maybe. I'd start by making the threat of that occurring known, and advise users the best way to make sure their results are correct. If they do not learn, then implement it.

I usually use ctrl+f and enter a username (copypasted from the site, so it's correct), and make sure the correct number of results are found for each name.
Oh, there was one other thing I was considering. Considering the Event Guide needs updating, as it currently says to PM results to brad, and you've stated it's not always easy to find results in your inboxes, why not set up an account specifically for tourney results to be sent to, with a password shared between the committee? It'd save a lot of hassle, would it not?

The account wouldn't need to be a committee member, because it's just an inbox. Heck, you could set it up as an account to PM when donations are made too, or for anything like that. That way it'd all be in one place. Making it an admin account (or at least one listed as a "forum team" account, at least) would obviously not work as there'd be PM's from newbies, but even then, it wouldn't be too major, I'd think. At least it would probably make your jobs a little easier?

RE: Beypoint Processing - Fury - Jul. 29, 2011

i would like to see the results uploaded faster. ive been waiting almost a month now and its kinda annoying.

Maybe have Blader DJ take the results? Blader DJ grants DJ faces...kind of works out?

(Jul. 29, 2011  2:34 AM)Fury Wrote: i would like to see the results uploaded faster. ive been waiting almost a month now and its kinda annoying.

This isn't a thread for moaning about the speed they are processed at. It is to constructively discuss ways to improve it. If you don't have anything helpful to add, don't comment.

(Jul. 29, 2011  2:15 AM)th!nk Wrote: Oh, there was one other thing I was considering. Considering the Event Guide needs updating, as it currently says to PM results to brad, and you've stated it's not always easy to find results in your inboxes, why not set up an account specifically for tourney results to be sent to, with a password shared between the committee? It'd save a lot of hassle, would it not?

The account wouldn't need to be a committee member, because it's just an inbox. Heck, you could set it up as an account to PM when donations are made too, or for anything like that. That way it'd all be in one place. Making it an admin account (or at least one listed as a "forum team" account, at least) would obviously not work as there'd be PM's from newbies, but even then, it wouldn't be too major, I'd think. At least it would probably make your jobs a little easier?

That is a good idea actually.

(Jul. 29, 2011  2:36 AM)th!nk Wrote:
(Jul. 29, 2011  2:34 AM)Fury Wrote: i would like to see the results uploaded faster. ive been waiting almost a month now and its kinda annoying.

This isn't a thread for moaning about the speed they are processed at. It is to constructively discuss ways to improve it. If you don't have anything helpful to add, don't comment.
In his defense, I moaned first.

Waht are you going to call this account,or will it be blader DJ or a secret only known to the committee? :o

Why would you expect a decision so soon?

If it was a secret only to the committee it would defeat the purpose.

RE: Beypoint Processing - Uwik - Jul. 29, 2011

I agree wholeheartedly with the points that Deikailo and th!nk made. It is really taking to long to process the beypoints. While I also noticed that Canada gets prioritized, mainly because the committee 'feels' that they are the easiest to do, this system is really quite unfair to the rest of the world who does not live in Canada. We, too, have fulfilled all the requirements needed, and paid the exact same amount. I, personally, take efforts to check the spellings on the participants' names, ie: spacings, and even case-sensitives.

It should really be done chronologically.

So please, implement the few ideas posted on this thread where you see fit. WBO is growing fast, at a rate where even the committee have to catch up eventually. "The committee is busy", "they have lives outside of WBO" answers are really not valid after weeks of waiting, only to see other tournaments on a later date get processed first. Kai-V, perhaps you can delegate a member to become a moderator, dedicated solely on the task of processing beypoints. With the way you are doing it right now, it really will be a nightmare for BeyDay 2012. Do share the burden, this is a member-driven organization, some of us are here to help also.

If all other suggestion fails, the first logical step is to create a stickied thread about the 'beypoints processing checklist' ie:

July 24 - Silver Spring, Maryland: The July Joust
  • Result receipt
  • Spelling of names
  • Payments
  • Battles
  • Faces
  • Credits

etc etc. When a bullet point is done, you can always delete that particular bullet point.

At least, that way, the members would know if there's any progress made at all. The members really have earned this transparency in the processing system.

(Jul. 29, 2011  4:53 AM)Uwik Wrote: Kai-V, perhaps you can delegate a member to become a moderator, dedicated solely on the task of processing beypoints. With the way you are doing it right now, it really will be a nightmare for BeyDay 2012.

Read my first post in this topic. This cannot happen.

That being said, I am trying to somewhat 'defend' the rest of the Committee, because in a sense I do have some results that they do not have, but I suppose they should indeed wait ... I always try to process results chronologically. If my Montréal tournament in August works this time, I will not process it yet unless there is really nothing else to process.

RE: Beypoint Processing - Uwik - Jul. 29, 2011

Quote:If all other suggestion fails, the first logical step is to create a stickied thread about the 'beypoints processing checklist' ie:

July 24 - Silver Spring, Maryland: The July Joust

Result receipt
Spelling of names
Payments
Battles
Faces
Credits

etc etc. When a bullet point is done, you can always delete that particular bullet point.

Any thoughts on this?

Spelling of usernames is entirely not our responsibility. You are the host, you are supposed to know exactly who came and played at your tournament.

Payment should be done basically right after the event is done, so that when the results are sent to us, the organiser can say how much was sent, who bought Blader Passports, etc. all in only one private message.