World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc.
WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Printable Version

+- World Beyblade Organization by Fighting Spirits Inc. (https://worldbeyblade.org)
+-- Forum: World Beyblade Organization (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-World-Beyblade-Organization)
+--- Forum: Discuss worldbeyblade.org (https://worldbeyblade.org/Forum-Discuss-worldbeyblade-org)
+--- Thread: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts (/Thread-WBO-Organized-Play-Random-Thoughts)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 05, 2015

Quote:You will hear "He's been going Attack a lot today, you might want to use Libra" as opposed to "I just saw him attach Omega, use Libra"

This is more ideal, I think. You still have the opportunity to scope out opponents and look for patterns, but it's much more reasonable and relies less on deceiving others and more on your own attentiveness.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 06, 2015

(Aug. 05, 2015  7:17 PM)Wombat Wrote: I don't know if you've seen this thread yet, but it basically addresses the whole deception/double blind etc. issue.

Just had the chance to check this out. It's pretty sensationalist IMO, but I can't say I disagree with most of the points here. I think there are some simple rule changes that would make the game way more approachable and fair to newbies without harming veteran players who are already essentially using double-blind anyway.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - TimeOut - Aug. 07, 2015

@[Bey Brad] In Maryland, as the community is almost entirely established players at this point in time, we all basically go double blind without ever having to call stalling.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Angry Face - Aug. 07, 2015

Kind of a random thought, but this idea came to me after a mildly unpleasant experience at the event I held this past weekend. Could we begin imposing a late entry fee on those who show up to tournaments after the outlined times for signup without advance warning, regardless of passport status?

I found that it can be really inconvenient and time consuming for everyone to reseed blocks to accommodate the addition of another player in a tournament after its blocks/seeds have been finalized and the tournament's already begun, especially when everything's being managed by pen and paper. However, I also hate the idea of turning anyone away if they arrive early enough that I could feasibly fit them in, so if the alternative is turning them away, I'd rather take the extra time necessary to alter the tournament's brackets to include them.

In the end, though, I'd still like to see some kind of repercussions for the late individuals to act as a deterrent for themselves and others in the future, and a fine would at least provide a monetary benefit for the WBO. In the long run, hosts could be saved time and trouble, and people would be less likely to show up late to events without hosts having to threaten barring their participation for doing so.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Leone19 - Aug. 07, 2015

People have their reasons (traffic, etc.) and it may not be their fault, per say.

As a host myself, I know how annoying it can be to have people come after a certain time when the event was meant to begin.

That being said, rather thanhaving an extra fee, I always be sure to emphasize the importance of arriving on time in my threads because if anyone does show after the first battle, they aren't going to play in the event. It's as simple as that, since the tournament has started. I feel like it's reasonable since while they can't play in that event they can certainly stay for free play and to hang out. I feel like it's pretty fair, but personally I wouldn't rather have them pay more to get in. The host would still have to redo brackets and potentially add more data to the spreadsheet- depending how late in the event it was, it could really be a hassle.

Having people pay more money is just a negative for them and would probably make them reconsider WBO events in the future. For most of my usuals who are teens, money is pretty tight for them, so if I had them pay extra they probably wouldn't come back, haha.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 07, 2015

I'm all for looking for creative ways to penalize latecomers, but yeah, I dunno that cash is the right way. I think it's fair to say that if you're not there on time, you're not entering the tournament.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - ashton pinto - Aug. 07, 2015

Whenever i host, instead of a penalty, i set the tournament time a bit earlier. (I do warn them PLENTY of times to arrive on time or earlier via random messaging apps etc)
Like.. say for example
If the event is to start at 10am ... i post the time (in the thread) as 9:15 , then most/all of the guys show up at 9:30am. If they are early, they just spend time in free play, testing, some build their combos right at the last moment etc etc. So i don't have any issues with guys getting late

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 07, 2015

Shh! Now you've ruined your secret! They'll definitely all be late now.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - MissingNo. - Aug. 07, 2015

On my first tournament, I was 30 minutes late because I was lost in the park :')

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Angry Face - Aug. 08, 2015

(Aug. 07, 2015  7:02 PM)ashton pinto Wrote: Whenever i host, instead of a penalty, i set the tournament time a bit earlier. (I do warn them PLENTY of times to arrive on time or earlier via random messaging apps etc)
Like.. say for example
If the event is to start at 10am ... i post the time (in the thread) as 9:15 , then most/all of the guys show up at 9:30am. If they are early, they just spend time in free play, testing, some build their combos right at the last moment etc etc. So i don't have any issues with guys getting late

This isn't a bad idea, in fact, I think I'll try this out next time. Thanks, ashton!

And thanks for all the other feedback, you guys.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 24, 2015

(Aug. 05, 2015  7:17 PM)Wombat Wrote: So although there wasn't technically a "stalling clause" called every match since you only get two per tournament, Beyblade selections played out in basically the same way.

Hey @[Wombat], just caught this now: there is no limit on stalling clauses in a tournament. You're thinking of reshoot clauses.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Wombat - Aug. 24, 2015

(Aug. 24, 2015  1:21 AM)Bey Brad Wrote:
(Aug. 05, 2015  7:17 PM)Wombat Wrote: So although there wasn't technically a "stalling clause" called every match since you only get two per tournament, Beyblade selections played out in basically the same way.

Hey @[Wombat], just caught this now: there is no limit on stalling clauses in a tournament. You're thinking of reshoot clauses.

Huh, really? I thought it got limited to 2 uses per tournament when the time got reduced to 3 minutes. Shows how much I know about bleyblades haha.

As for the moving of the Stadium I did the same thing against LMAO in between the 3rd and 4th round... It wasn't even a conscious decision on my part and I wouldn't have noticed if UltimateOrion hadn't recorded the battle. Hopefully I won't get posthumously DQed for that though (I lost the battle anyways).

On another note, I'm hoping Before the Burst gets processed soon (even though it was a 16 player Swiss event). I went 7-2 and beat a lot of high ranking people so I might break 1,500 or get into the top 30.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 24, 2015

I wouldn't recommend DQ's or any kind of penalty, and I realize the unconscious temptation to do it. Please just look out for it in the future!

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 25, 2015

We have these at my office and I couldn't help but think they look perfect for Beyblade ...

[Image: cups3.jpg]

They even have pieces that let you round off the edges! They don't seem to be any more expensive than the coloured ones that we use in Montreal, either. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Best-Step-Black-Diamond-Plate-2-ft-Square-interlocking-Foam-Mats-4-Pack-BS100-4HDT/202019834

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - loyd87 - Aug. 25, 2015

nice design! it could be great to have those instead what we already got hah!

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Aug. 25, 2015

It would certainly look a bit cooler :') I'll get these for my Burst event whenever I do it (probably October).

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - loyd87 - Aug. 25, 2015

nice! it would be awesome Grin

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Kei - Aug. 25, 2015

(Aug. 24, 2015  3:06 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: I wouldn't recommend DQ's or any kind of penalty, and I realize the unconscious temptation to do it. Please just look out for it in the future!

Yeah, I wouldn't DQ someone/impose any kind of penalty for moving the stadium unless they repeatedly did it after several warnings. Judges just need to be aware of the rules and tell players it isn't allowed when they see someone doing it.

(Aug. 25, 2015  7:10 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: We have these at my office and I couldn't help but think they look perfect for Beyblade ...

Wow, those look pretty cool!

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - -HB- - Aug. 26, 2015

(Aug. 25, 2015  7:10 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: We have these at my office and I couldn't help but think they look perfect for Beyblade ...

[Image: cups3.jpg]

They even have pieces that let you round off the edges! They don't seem to be any more expensive than the coloured ones that we use in Montreal, either. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Best-Step-Black-Diamond-Plate-2-ft-Square-interlocking-Foam-Mats-4-Pack-BS100-4HDT/202019834

That's what I'm planning to bring to our London burst event saves our knees from kneeling on concrete hah. Mine have holes in to hopefully stop the Beys running away when KO'd!

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Thunder Dome - Sep. 01, 2015

Congrats to Mitsu and LMAO for breaking top 10! Canada has had such a surge of tournaments and people breaking the top 10 lately. Hopefully NC get's back on track soon.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - RagerBlade - Sep. 02, 2015

How exactly did 1234 beyblade suddenly climb the rankings to top 3 or has he been there before and I just never noticed?

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Bey Brad - Sep. 02, 2015

consistently strong performance against high-ranked players

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Wombat - Sep. 02, 2015

I feel kinda bad pointing this out after all the work whoever did processing it, but is Magic's Birthday Bash invalid? I don't know about Colosseum, but Before the Burst (also Before Magic's Birthday Bash) still hasn't been processed, and since Sniper participated in both of those tournaments wouldn't his points be not up to date? Or is Before the Burst just not getting processed?

Please tag me if you reply because I might not see it otherwise.

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - LMAO - Sep. 03, 2015

@[Wombat] I was the one who processed it, but since we did not get the results for Before the Burst at the time, I had no idea Sniper played in the tournament. I checked a few other NC events, but it didn't look like he participated in them. I'll have to go ahead and delete the two recent New York tournaments, and it'll be up to date after I process Before the Burst, however I'm still not sure if we even got the Before the Burst results yet, but when we do I'll process it, and then the New York tournaments.

Sorry about that, and thanks for spotting it!

RE: WBO Organized Play Random Thoughts - Mitsu - Sep. 03, 2015

Thunder Dome Wrote:Congrats to Mitsu and LMAO for breaking top 10! Canada has had such a surge of tournaments and people breaking the top 10 lately. Hopefully NC get's back on track soon.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!