Your Top Albums of 2007

Well, it's getting close to the end of the year so I figured this would be appropriate.

No matter what style of music you listen to, in your own opinion, what were the best albums released this year and why?

I'm doing mine in descending order. You know, for dramatic effect or something.

[Image: 51TJTfSU8JL._AA240_.jpg]

5.) "THE MARROW OF A BONE" by Dir en grey

Well, I don't think any other band has the ability to release a CD that I initially despise and soon grow to love a second time (lol withering to death), but Dir en grey has certainly done it with Marrow. From the haunting piano in CONCEIVED SORROW to the brutal riffs and banshee shrieks in GRIEF, Marrow is a perfect evolution in Dir en grey's style.

[Image: 51rn9hc8ZML._AA240_.jpg]

4.) "STACKED RUBBISH" by the GazettE

This is a strong follow up to NIL. While I question some of the track choices (Plain and simple, Gentle Lie and Chizuru both carp suck and Psychedelic Heroine SHOULD have been on this album along with Crucify Sorrow and Rich Excrement), overall it's a very strong release and GazettE has definitely benefit from the increased production value yet still maintains the edge that made them popular in the first place.

[Image: 41XSKvTV7VL._AA240_.jpg]

3.) "Ire Works" by The Dillinger Escape Plan

Although it arrived rather late to the party this year, Ire Works is still a great disc and manages to continue pushing the band's genre-defying sound even further into obscurity, despite losing all but one of the original members. (Guitarist Ben Weinman)

[Image: 511HJr%2BEKiL._AA240_.jpg]

2.) "The Alchemy Index Volume II: Water" by Thrice

Oh c'mon, like you didn't see this coming from me. While the two discs come in the same package, I don't classify them as one release. I'm really very fond of this disc as it reaches into some very unfamiliar territory for Thrice. The thumping, almost dance-worthy intro Digital Sea is a perfect prelude for the other unexpected surprises on the disc; The Whaler is quite possibly one of the best songs the band has ever written.

[Image: 511HJr%2BEKiL._AA240_.jpg]

1.) "The Alchemy Index Volume I: Fire" by Thrice

I love every song on this 6-track disc with a passion. When one thinks of fire they tend to associate it with ferocity and while ferocity is certainly present on the disc thanks to The Messenger, The Arsonist and The Flame Deluge (Holy hardcore, Batman!), it's the unorthodox representations of fire between these that truly stand out. Firebreather is without a doubt my favorite Thrice song, if not my favorite song of all time. Backdraft is an interesting song that I seem to compare to slow burning coals; Burn The Fleet is just an awesome song in a style largely overdone overall, but a new style for Thrice entirely given their previous discography.

[Image: 310ckqJSYkL._AA240_.jpg]

Honorable mention: "Colors" by Between the Buried and Me

Never before have I heard a disc that merges so many styles and does so amazingly well. There's a reason these guys are at the forefront of the heavy rock genre and this CD clearly illustrates that.

And also, though it came out in 2006, Black Holes and Revelations by Muse really is carp awesome. Thanks Alice. Grin

---------

So now that you've listened to me spew all over about my favorite albums from this year, what are yours?
This is probably the first year I've actually listened to band or performer's full album. I listened to very few, so I very well have only listened to the five albums on this list only.

5.) FutureSex/LoveSounds by Justin Timberlake

The only pop/hip-hop album on this list, Justin Timberlake did a good job with this one. I still get Love Stoned stuck in my head to this very day.

4.) Infinity on High by Fall Out Boy

I always find myself listening to this album for some reason. I HATED Fall Out Boy until I listened to this album. Although it's nothing to bang your head to, Infinity on High does a good job showing off Pete Wentz's fairly good lyrical talents with songs like "Don't You Know Who I Think I Am" and "I'm Like a Lawyer With the Way I'm Always Trying to Get You Off (Me and You)". Also, Patrick's talented voice is exhibited in songs like "Golden". For people who hate Fall Out Boy, this is the album to pick up

3.) Marrow of a Bone by Dir en Grey

This albums has some winners like "The Pledge" and "Concieved Sorrow", but this album is turning Diru into a metalcore band. The couple reasons this is at three is 1) It's Dir en Grey and 2) I'm starting to LIKE some of the metalcore stuff

2.) Elect the Dead by Serj Tankian

I only started listening to this a couple weeks ago, and I'm obsessed with it. The System of a Down frontman going solo seems to be a good move. I've always liked his hauntingly unique voice, and it truely shows on this album

1.) Stacked Rubbish by The GazettE

With only a couple flaws (and I literally mean a couple, this album is good
FutureSex/LoveSounds

only one worth mentioning lol. never really listened to full albums, just songs.

but if "Let's be Tigers and Drink Blood" by The Medic Droid would be released in 2007 it would def top my list
Edited the topic title/ original post to remove the count and to add an honorable mention disc.

Just name your favorite albums that came out this year. Grin
duuno if I have five top
honourable mention

T.I.- T.I. vs T.I.P.
Not as so good as KING, this album was different though. the concept was he is conflicted, between tip his former hot headed trapper self, and T.I. more level headed present self that has really got him where he is now.
tracks such as Hurt, we do this, respect this hustle, my type, tell 'em I said that; are the best, thus the rest of the album is good but not like these

3. M.I.A.-Kala
really awsome, crazy carp. its energetic, and thought provoking iiiif you stop to listen. with political undertows, all the songs are original in areas such as samples, rythms and vocals.
tracks Bamboo Banga, Boyz, XR 2, HUssel, Mango Pickel River Down, Bird Flu, World Town are the ones I digg most. but like any good album no real need to track search.

2.Kanye West- Graduation
dunno 'bout his other two albums, but I would say its my favorite (haha)
production is top notch, so every track good. Rather introspective, as usual he talks about himself but not without critism.
For me its hard to decribe how its good, but it just is very good..
tracks Stronger, The Glory, Everything I Am, I wonder, Flashing Lights, The Goodlife are the ones i like best, but its easy to listen from start to finish with out skipping

1.Lupe Fiasco's the Cool
Came out last tuesday. I went out an bought it in good faith after buying his wicked first on a fluke.
except for the spoken word beginning an the last track, it is great. For the content between is very intelligent, original and the packaging is even better than the first.
I don't care what you listen to I guarentee you'll least like one song on this album.

kk thanks for reading guise