WBO Organized Play Rule Updates January 2020: αssault' BSC Ban, Tiebreak Updates

Outlined below are several important new ruling additions, updates, and clarifications to some WBO Organized Play rulebooks and the Organizers' Guide. View all WBO Organized Play Rules & Resources here, and a summary of the changes below:

Updates Overview
  • All Rulebooks: Formatting & Language Updates
  • IMPORTANT Burst Classic Format: αssault' Driver Banned
  • IMPORTANT Burst Format: Master Mode Change Restriction
  • IMPORTANT Organizer’s Guide: Tied Records – Procedure Updates

All Rulebooks Updates

Formatting & Language Updates
Throughout the rulebooks for all formats we have made some updates to the formatting and language used throughout several sections in each rulebook in an effort to reduce their length where possible and to make them easier to understand and scan as a reader.

In particular, the following sections had the most notable edits:
  • Deck Format
  • Round Results
  • Parts with Multiple Modes
  • Beyblade/Part-Specific Rulings (Burst Format)
  • Hasbro Only Format (Burst Format)
  • Document outlines re-worked for easier skipping between sections

The actual content of the rules did not change, but we hope the new formatting and language used will make it a bit easier for new players to understand and for existing players to reference.

Burst Classic Format Updates

[Image: beyblade-burst-assault-dash-driver.png]

IMPORTANT Burst Classic Format: αssault' Driver Banned
The following update has been made to the Burst Classic Format ban list:

Illegal
αssault'

Recent events have proven αssault' to perform similarly to the banned Accel' and Zephyr' Drivers.

Burst Format Updates

[Image: beyblade-burst-master-layer-base.png]

IMPORTANT Burst Format: Master Mode Change Restriction
We have clarified that mode changing the Master Layer Base during a match is illegal in a new section titled "All Dual Spin Parts" under "Beyblade/Part-Specific Rulings".

Organizer’s Guide Updates

[Image: WBO-Organizers-Guide.png]

IMPORTANT Tied Records – Procedure Updates
Under "Ending the First Stage & Determining Finalists – Tied Records" in the Organizer's Guide we have updated the rules and sequence for the tiebreak factors listed when trying to determine who should advanced to the finals of a tournament (and in what position) for both Round Robin/Block Round Robin and Swiss Formats.

All Organizers should review this update in detail within the guide, but the basic structure is now as follows for Swiss:

1. Overall Score/win record
2. Bucholz
3. Existing Match History (2 or 3 Tied Players with Match History/Equal Bucholz Only)
4. Seeding (Confirmed Finalists Only)
5. Tiebreak Matches

And for Round Robin/Block Round Robin, the only change that was made was correcting an error for the second tiebreak factor (Challonge TB Column) which listed "Bucholz" even though it didn't exist in those formats. It now simply states to use that factor "Only if the players in question have match history.".

Feedback?
If you have any feedback on these particular changes, or any questions or suggestions for further adjustments or additions, please post your thoughts below or in the WBO Organized Play Rules thread.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support of WBO Organized Play! We appreciate any and all feedback and are always looking to improve and clarify things where possible.
(Jan. 29, 2020  12:27 PM)g2_ Wrote: Why is Assault' banned?

Illegal
 αssault'

Recent events have proven αssault' to perform similarly to the banned Accel' and Zephyr' Drivers.
(Jan. 29, 2020  12:52 PM)BladerGem Wrote:

Illegal
 αssault'

Damn.
I personally don't see the reason for banning the spin change of Master, as like Legend Spriggan, the way the bey attacks is completely changed from and upper attack to a smash attack. I guess I can kind of understand, but I believe that Master and Legend should be unbanned due to their angles being changed as opposed to Sr, CZ-S and LS being essentially straight and not really changing anything other than direction.
(Jan. 29, 2020  5:34 PM)MagixG Wrote: I personally don't see the reason for banning the spin change of Master, as like Legend Spriggan, the way the bey attacks is completely changed from and upper attack to a smash attack. I guess I can kind of understand, but I believe that Master and Legend should be unbanned due to their angles being changed as opposed to Sr, CZ-S and LS being essentially straight and not really changing anything other than direction.

You can change the spin direction to give you the advantage to the opponent, which is unfair.
(Jan. 29, 2020  5:38 PM)BuilderROB Wrote:
(Jan. 29, 2020  5:34 PM)MagixG Wrote: I personally don't see the reason for banning the spin change of Master, as like Legend Spriggan, the way the bey attacks is completely changed from and upper attack to a smash attack. I guess I can kind of understand, but I believe that Master and Legend should be unbanned due to their angles being changed as opposed to Sr, CZ-S and LS being essentially straight and not really changing anything other than direction.

You can change the spin direction to give you the advantage to the opponent, which is unfair.

While I understand that that's unfair, these two beys in particular show more attack potential then they seem to show stamina potential, and with that in mind, it seems like it's kind of unfair

Thing is, Master isn't usually used aggressively to attack things. Most use I've seen is in opposite-spin combos, where spin direction is more important that the change in attack style. Legend Spriggan, though it does change its attacking style due to its different aggressive points in each spin direction, was used as a way to get around the existing restriction for other parts and proved to be capable of the same thing, trading in raw power for an absurd level of flexibility. That was too much, hence why it was banned.

tl;dr Shape isn't the problem, it's the ability to reflexively change your spin direction to improve your matchup without your opponent being able to do anything about it that's problematic.
(Jan. 29, 2020  6:46 PM)MagixG Wrote:
(Jan. 29, 2020  5:38 PM)BuilderROB Wrote: You can change the spin direction to give you the advantage to the opponent, which is unfair.

While I understand that that's unfair, these two beys in particular show more attack potential then they seem to show stamina potential, and with that in mind, it seems like it's kind of unfair

Master on bearing is really good, so giving it the ability to change spin direction mid-match is crazy.
(Jan. 29, 2020  6:49 PM)#Fafnir Wrote:
(Jan. 29, 2020  6:46 PM)MagixG Wrote: While I understand that that's unfair, these two beys in particular show more attack potential then they seem to show stamina potential, and with that in mind, it seems like it's kind of unfair

Master on bearing is really good, so giving it the ability to change spin direction mid-match is crazy.

Sadly, yeah. It really upsets me that any attack potential Master has is overshadowed by people who slapped Bearing on it 3 seconds after it's release, as with every product. While I get that there's no reason to ban Bearing at all, especially due to the possibility of other Drivers outshining it, I'd still be happier with Bearing gone. That's just me personally
(Jan. 29, 2020  8:49 PM)MagixG Wrote:
(Jan. 29, 2020  6:49 PM)#Fafnir Wrote: Master on bearing is really good, so giving it the ability to change spin direction mid-match is crazy.

Sadly, yeah. It really upsets me that any attack potential Master has is overshadowed by people who slapped Bearing on it 3 seconds after it's release, as with every product. While I get that there's no reason to ban Bearing at all, especially due to the possibility of other Drivers outshining it, I'd still be happier with Bearing gone. That's just me personally

Well, the thing is, the design is not aggressive enough to work well for attack. Instead the blades are more defensive, especially on the left side, hence why people slap it on bearing.
That’s true, and it wouldn’t be fare to people using something like lord spriggan or another dual spinning bey going against people with legend spriggan or master.
(Jan. 29, 2020  8:59 PM)BuilderROB Wrote:
(Jan. 29, 2020  8:49 PM)MagixG Wrote: Sadly, yeah. It really upsets me that any attack potential Master has is overshadowed by people who slapped Bearing on it 3 seconds after it's release, as with every product. While I get that there's no reason to ban Bearing at all, especially due to the possibility of other Drivers outshining it, I'd still be happier with Bearing gone. That's just me personally

Well, the thing is, the design is not aggressive enough to work well for attack. Instead the blades are more defensive, especially on the left side, hence why people slap it on bearing.

Unless it is a clear attack type (somehow even for those) people will slap Bearing on it in the first 2 seconds of purchase
Seems like you can slap Bearing on just about anything and make it to the finals these days...

And if you don't have Keep/Keep' then you have 0 defensive options against Judgement...
The hyperbole isn't helping or productive.

Judgement has plenty of counters. There's Lord, there's Master, there's Perfect Phoenix, there's Zwei, there's Judgement, there's Unite/Unite', there's Keep/Keep', there's POM based tips, there's Rubber based tips, Non-Bearing Drivers (it does push Bearing around quite a bit), there's Opposite Spin.

And there's also Judgement's learning curve: most of the people who use Judgement and Rubber Dash Drivers will never have a decent attack launch, so, it's less of a concern. It takes a lot of time and practice to cultivate a good attack launch.
(Jan. 30, 2020  12:14 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: The hyperbole isn't helping or productive.

Judgement has plenty of counters. There's Lord, there's Master, there's Perfect Phoenix, there's Zwei, there's Judgement, there's Unite/Unite', there's Keep/Keep', there's POM based tips, there's Rubber based tips, Non-Bearing Drivers (it does push Bearing around quite a bit), there's Opposite Spin.

And there's also Judgement's learning curve: most of the people who use Judgement and Rubber Dash Drivers will never have a decent attack launch, so, it's less of a concern. It takes a lot of time and practice to cultivate a good attack launch.

Same, most people that I’ve seen do that combo, they usually do like a rush launch type thing
(Jan. 30, 2020  12:14 AM)DeceasedCrab Wrote: The hyperbole isn't helping or productive.

I'd love to disagree with you and bring my own lengthy argument to the table, but this isn't the thread for that.

That's a very poor explanation about Judgement. Lord goes 50/50. Master, if on Atomic, would have KO risk. Judgement is used to counter. Judgement doesn't counter itself; that doesn't make logical sense. Unite' and Keep' aren't viable in the current meta due to the fact they lose in all cases to any stamina combo (unlike Classic where Keep' sees use in stationary attack) and the deck size isn't large enough to fit them in. POM based tips are awful because they have KO risk and are just not even close to meta viability. Saying "rubber based tips" is just a repeat of Unite'/Keep', though Judgement, on a rubber tip should lose to other attack types on Rubber tips due to its heavy self recoil, though Charge/Octa variants don't have that issue. Saying "opposite spin" is just repeating Lord, Master, and Zwei, which I've explained the issues there except for Zwei (which totally counters Judgement without question).
What does the ‘ mean? If accel’ is banned is my accel banned?
(Jan. 31, 2020  10:19 PM)DaGoldenPenguin Wrote: What does the ‘ mean? If accel’ is banned is my accel banned?

' drivers are just rereleased drivers with a better spring and are counted differently than the normal counterpart.
(Jan. 29, 2020  12:52 PM)BladerGem Wrote:

Illegal
 αssault'

Sorry for being out of touch for so long, why is accel ' and zephyr ' banned?
When are we getting the ruling for the Big Bang armor btw?
(Feb. 01, 2020  2:54 PM)The Rex Wrote: When are we getting the ruling for the Big Bang armor btw?

Permitted on Regalia Genesis and Prime Apocalpyse and Bigbang Genesis layers by default.
(Feb. 01, 2020  3:05 PM)DeceasedCrab Wrote:
(Feb. 01, 2020  2:54 PM)The Rex Wrote: When are we getting the ruling for the Big Bang armor btw?

Permitted on Genesis and Regalia layers by default.

And Apocalypse?
(Feb. 01, 2020  3:08 AM)Bersilus Wrote:
(Jan. 29, 2020  12:52 PM)BladerGem Wrote: Illegal
 αssault'

Sorry for being out of touch for so long, why is accel ' and zephyr ' banned?

Accel and Zephyr are known to have really good tornado stalling capabilities (effectively making them mobile Stamina Drivers) and the super tight spring means that they only lose when they're KOed or when an opponent's raw Stamina is better than the Tornado Staller. Combos with high Stamina shouldn't be so hard to Burst, since they're meant to lose to Attack Beys.