WBO General: Are Teams Necessary?

Hello,

I've been reading throughout the WBO General Forum and I've noticed that most threads are teams that aren't very well laid out, and obvious that they're going to fail.

Look at this for example:

What would make you want to join this team? The grammar isn't great, which really doesn't help. There's a load of other "teams" SPAMmed throughout the forum and I think there should either be a form to fill out and thats what posted or we just get rid of teams altogether because IMO they're not necessary. I think its fine to organize a meet up or chat about a tournament in the General _____ Thread but I really don't think teams should be included.

Think about it. Whats the point of having a team at the moment. There's no official team tournaments, a lot of the time there is already a team for that area.

Another approach would be is too allow teams but limit it to maybe 3-4 teams per state/area?

I really think there should be something changed about teams. I don't mind what you think. Maybe I'm wrong, but teams should be changed. Even if teams were to stay, we could have a representative for each country that new members are directed to. Its just an idea. Smile

Kai-V's Solution:
In their current state, Teams are just a little group for people to feel special in. They only serve a purpose on a community level, right now. That whole "function" is not unlike Your Creations, in current form.

We have some CM that are okay with them, and others who do not think they should exist - but their presence isn't particularly detrimental. If we suddenly banished team threads like those, the number of users in dismay would be very tangible and probably quite vocal.

The future may hold further use for them, however... one can never be sure. Wink
Maybe getting rid of them would be a bit much, but limiting the number of them would IMO.
I keep thinking that we should just make a new sub-forum and all of that SPAM gets posted in one place, away from the important threads where you actually discuss tournament ideas.
I would be comfortable with that, actually. As it is, there is a lot of nonsense to shuffle through in order to find appropriate threads for your area.
Actually yeah, I like that idea. I'll just add that to the OP.
Actually, there are unofficial team competitions in Georgia, and they are pretty fun.
Unofficial events should not be discussed or organized, here, and we really do not care about them.
It is just entirely counterproductive for our very purpose to discuss unapproved events ... We want people to adhere to a format, and I think that everybody can see the fragility in this if you just think some more about it.
I think that it's fine to have teams like UniquE, Fusion Fighters, E5, etc., but I agree that it kind of clogs up tournament threads. A sub-forum would probably be the best idea, as long as teams aren't diminished as a whole.
I know that there are a lot of teams on here that actually do productive things as teams (ie: not the kind of team that Cygnus referenced in the OP), so it would be beneficial to them. For the most part, it's not SPAM, so a sub-forum would be nice.
Teams aren't necessary as of now. There is no profit organization that organizes beyblade tournaments for the teams to report to. They are just for fun and affiliation.

Is the problem really spam? Or teams that look like jokes? I don't have a problem navigating the site, maybe I haven't come across the spam yet. Proposed teams that appear to be jokes shouldn't be condemned for anything. It doesnt matter if any group of people have put a name on their group.

Dont forget, beyblades are toys, so by default the fanbase is young. So spam, misunderstandings, and joke teams are here to stay. Might as well play along Smile
We have but one team here in Perth where I live, and although it may not be necessary it does help keep people interested in the hobby. There are very few bladers in my area, but by being in a team you can meet people from all different area's of your city. It gives you a good sense of belonging. I mean, if everyone was eating doughnuts and you had a hotdog, you would be the odd one out. After a while you would start to eat doughnuts, because you would feel left out or alienated. The same goes for beyblade in a way. If nobody else at your school/workplace plays beyblades, then you may loose interest. Being in a team keeps people interested by making them feel they belong. So albeit not necessary, team are important IMO (at least in my area)
I see absolutely no harm in teams themselves, they help foster competition and give people reasons and experience to host and compete in tournaments, as well as practice in general.

They don't harm anyone, it would only upset people if they were to be banned.

That said, I would like to see a "teams" subforum to clear up General/Make them easily avoidable for those who are uninterested.
Team Shadow Nova is willing to set an example of a good team if ever needed.

plus, why not have Tag-team tournaments?
Most "teams" here have more than four members, so even Tag Team Tournaments would not really incorporate the concept of those "teams", because one tag team could fight another in the same "team" anyway.
True, but I don't necessarily think that compromises the ideas of those teams as a whole. There's generally in-team competition anyway, especially for the larger teams.

Plus, it's not like people are going to create threads for their tag-team, are they?
Tag team tournaments WITHIN a team?

so Team Shadow Nova members go into squads and showdown, there are approx 6 members/squad so there will be 18 battles. so like this

Squad A
1A
2A
3A
4A
5A
6A

VS

Squad B
1B
2B
3B
4B
5B
6B

so then
1A vs 1B - 1A
2A vs 2B - 2B
3A vs 3B - 3A
4A vs 4B - 4B
5A vs 5B - 5B
6A vs 6B - 6B

so Squad B has more wins, and it wins the round. is it hard to understand? is yeah, Ill type up an Excel and Word doc for it
Tag Teams would be a single entity, separate from teams. Frankly, two people from different teams could form a tag team, if they wanted. There would be no squads or anything.

Anyway, we are edging close to discussing things that belong in another thread, soo...
Teams are not mandatory. So there is no reason to say if there necessary. Anyway I the leader of team universal bladers.
(Jan. 18, 2012  12:07 AM)Primal Wrote: I think that it's fine to have teams like UniquE, Fusion Fighters, E5, etc., but I agree that it kind of clogs up tournament threads. A sub-forum would probably be the best idea, as long as teams aren't diminished as a whole.
I know that there are a lot of teams on here that actually do productive things as teams (ie: not the kind of team that Cygnus referenced in the OP), so it would be beneficial to them. For the most part, it's not SPAM, so a sub-forum would be nice.

I agree to this. Certain teams, which are actually extremely well organized; are great.
Speaking of teams on a general basis, it is actually an Introduce Yourself 3.0; the perfect place for newbies. An average newbie on this site usually-
1. Welcomes people.
2. Resorts to writing stories/reading things in Your Creations; and giving out their "expert advice".
3. Make a team with one or two people you know, and pledge to defeat the whole world...

Kai-V- Exactly, in places like India, where members are scarce, team members would end up playing against each other... Now what's the use of such teams? Still, Indian members do have a couple of teams made...

What Hazel said in his first post in this thread is the only purpose teams serve as of now... The bliss of being a part of a "team" is all they provide... I mean, what more do these teams do? OK, they make you eligible for a cool-looking team banner in your signature. What more? As for teams being useful in the future, it still remains undecided whether WBO will have Team Tourneys or not. So, it is similar to purchasing over-sized clothes, so that you can wear them when you grow up. :\

I seriously support Kai-V's idea. I am actually against the concept of teams as a whole, but as a total eradication may lead to an uproar, that is not a sensible way...
On one side of things, I simply would not function well in a team. Of course, I don't need to join at team. Using SDC's analogy, I'm quite happily eating hotdogs, completely unaware of what Freud would say about me choosing that over donuts. I can get by on hotdogs, and no-one is forcing me to eat donuts. The donut place is not competing directly, in fact, some people like going for a donut after their hotdog.

Okay, this is getting confusing. Basically, without the team in Perth, we probably wouldn't have a tournament scene. It's not really a team, it is definitely more of a club, but even though I am not a member, I was able to get enough people for two tournaments just because I had a list of people from their thread who would be interested. As a bonus, they had previously done a small, unofficial event, so there was already framework for meetups in place.

That is kind of specific to the type of team the one out here is, as I said, it's more of a club.

Smaller teams can be done effectively too, UniquE is the first example that comes to mind, especially if there are two teams of roughly equal calibre in the same area. That does help to promote an extra level of competition, and motivates people to host and attend tournaments.

SDC's team has split into squads to allow for that kind of competition, as there are very few bladers in Perth who are not part of the team (generally, myself and those who haven't found their thread yet Tongue_out)

Obviously there are issues with teams, most notably those who cannot, or will not attend official tournaments as a team. Those are entirely pointless. That said, it's not that huge a deal (I think it's a slight niggle from the day I noticed most of the members who consistently irked me with poor quality posts were almost all part of one of two particular teams.) They don't really harm anyone. If we move them to their own subforum, then there's little problem.
Oh yes, teams are great, should they be used effectively.
As I said in my earlier post, newbies end up making teams for no specific reason. I also gave an example of a few small-scale teams in India, which probably serve no purpose.

As for gathering members belonging to a specific area, I think teams are not meant to serve that purpose, and it is probably a secondary factor which teams focus on.
I would again like to give an example of an Indian thread- Bey Tournaments India.
It is just how things should be(OK, it is slightly spammed, though). It helps us to gather members throughout India, without the involvement of teams.
India is a country where Beyblade is played on an extremely small scale; so we need not have different threads for specific cities, unlike you all. Smile This is quite advantageous, you see. Tongue_out

As for promoting competition, that is one thing teams do very well. I agree on that point! Grin

Another weird factor is- World Teams (or something like that).
Certain teams allow people from all over the world to join their team. Now, this would make sense if all of us were travelling bladers. But otherwise, its just another community within a team, which is....... simply not a team but a community as a whole. Again, the Indian thread does this quite well, IMO. It is a community, and people know of it being a community.
Most "teams" on this site are just communities in disguise. Why?
Either make one thread exclusively for gathering members of a certain country/city/state or follow the regulations of a team.
The latter is simply not possible, as WBO doesn't host team tourneys...

As for your last point, yes, they do not harm anyone. They also do not influence the site much; just like a stone on the roadside. This means that they are quite unimportant. This is probably the point of this thread. Why have something unimportant around this site?

The reasons have already been given out. I do not intend to start a discussion.I am just elaborating on what you said. Smile
(Jan. 19, 2012  4:40 PM)th!nk Wrote: Th!nk's Quote:
Well actually we call them units, but same basic principle Tongue_out_wink
As you have pointed out to me many times before, we are more of a club than a team. We don't have anyone to compete against (hence the idea of the units). But as of now, we haven't really competed together as a team. Although teams like ours may not be necessary, it does help to keep people interested in the hobby and as Th!nk said, inspire people to host tourneys. I hosted mine because I knew that people in my team wanted competition, and they made that vocal to me (in a polite way). Whilst I was organising that, the team units appeared to entertain people in the mean time (which I believe they did). If it were not for the team, most of these people would have got bored of the hobby due to lack of competition and interest. Teams (or clubs) help, aid and promote the beyblade hobby, but are not necessary to the existence of the hobby and the WBO.

I think a sub-forum for teams would be nice, but it just needs to be moderated well as to remove any 'SPAM' teams that may appear (like the ones Jan was talking about with only 4 members, or just people asking about teams without searching). It would then also clear up a fair bit of the clutter in the various countries forums (so much so, that the Australia forum at least would be almost empty).

(Jan. 20, 2012  2:40 AM)S.D.C Wrote:
(Jan. 19, 2012  4:40 PM)th!nk Wrote: Th!nk's Quote:
Well actually we call them units, but same basic principle Tongue_out_wink
As you have pointed out to me many times before, we are more of a club than a team. We don't have anyone to compete against (hence the idea of the units). But as of now, we haven't really competed together as a team. Although teams like ours may not be necessary, it does help to keep people interested in the hobby and as Th!nk said, inspire people to host tourneys. I hosted mine because I knew that people in my team wanted competition, and they made that vocal to me (in a polite way). Whilst I was organising that, the team units appeared to entertain people in the mean time (which I believe they did). If it were not for the team, most of these people would have got bored of the hobby due to lack of competition and interest. Teams (or clubs) help, aid and promote the beyblade hobby, but are not necessary to the existence of the hobby and the WBO.

I think a sub-forum for teams would be nice, but it just needs to be moderated well as to remove any 'SPAM' teams that may appear (like the ones Jan was talking about with only 4 members, or just people asking about teams without searching). It would then also clear up a fair bit of the clutter in the various countries forums (so much so, that the Australia forum at least would be almost empty).

OK, all points are what I meant to say there.
Your team is not a "team" after all, as you guys haven't competed yet(and probably never will, unless WBO approves the concept of Team tourneys). Yours is a club, as you have been told before. Smile

So, it is after all a club in disguise of a "team"?
What's the point with that? Neither is it a team, nor a club(i.e. you still call this "club" a team).
So all in all, it is simply a community. A Team would make sense only until WBO approves Team Tourneys. It is actually similar to speculating upon a newly announced bey, without it being released. So, teams actually are pointless. Call it a club/community etc, great. I have no issues. A team doesn't sound right.

Simply changing the OP and Thread name from "Team" to "Club/Community" would not make a difference in its current purpose; i.e. gathering members and stimulating "Bey-Spirit" or whatever. Smile
Not only will it be more technically correct, it wouldn't see any criticism similar to such threads. Smile

After WBO has approved Team Tourneys, go ahead an rename your Club/Community as a Team! All work done, without any problems! Joyful_2
This is just why I am constantly citing the example of the Bey-Tournaments India thread... OK, we are a community, and never were/are/will be a team as a whole. Smile But yeah, it is quite a huge club where we do just the same things you guys do in your teams!
The sole difference between a club and a team on this forum is- Teams are meant to compete in tourneys.
As none of the teams have been able to do so, Team=Club. So why not call it a club?
Some newer members might also criticize the so-called team they joined...
Picture this- A newbie joined your team, and is soon fed up on being unable to compete as a team.
The newbie- "Why the hell do you call this a team, when you can actually not compete?"

So, to avoid such things, its best to simply change the Thread names. The most simplest solution to this problem.
This may have a forum of its own, and as mentioned before; the small-scale, unimportant teams can be closed for good. Smile
I don't really think there's an issue about club-like organisations calling themselves a team, especially as it would make it significantly harder for them to find new members.