[Unanswered]  Modded launcher legality

After some deliberation (and several dropped/flying launchers at my first tournament, luckily none during official matches) I decided I'd bring my question to the WBO. Is it tournament legal for me to mod my launcher with duct tape, like in the pictures attached? (The locking mechanism for BURST launchers isn't snug like MFB was, so my launcher tends to fly off.)

[Image: 20180319_154849.jpg]

[Image: 20180319_154900.jpg]

Edit: It doesn't say anywhere who wrote the Burst format rules, so I'm just going to tag @[Kai-V] and @[Kei] and get this sorted out already.
Not legal for WBO tournament use.
Read the Rulebook.
You are not allowed to use non-Beyblade Burst equipment to modify your gear for tournament use.
(Apr. 14, 2018  12:59 AM)OldSchool™ Wrote: Not legal for WBO tournament use.
Read the Rulebook.
I've READ the rulebook, it doesn't say anything about Quality-Of-Life improvements. I was hoping that this could actually be looked over and possibly added to the rulebook, considering how poorly designed the launcher connections are in Burst (Hasbro, at least).

Unless you'd rather my launcher go flying into a kid's face, or fall into the stadium and force a re-launch whenever I attend tournaments...
It's not like I wouldn't give the judge my launcher to inspect, either.
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:00 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
Read the Rulebook.
I've READ the rulebook, it doesn't say anything about Quality-Of-Life improvements. I was hoping that this could actually be looked over and possibly added to the rulebook, considering how poorly designed the launcher connections are in Burst (Hasbro, at least).

Unless you'd rather my launcher go flying into a kid's face, or fall into the stadium and force a re-launch whenever I attend tournaments...

ItsI not official burst gear, it's custom.
So it's illegal.
Always a tournament thread says.
Only official ----gen--- gear allowed
BTW, why you don't attach them instead of taping.
Like how zankye does- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7Yaw-zZ_Lg
@[BladerGem]
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:00 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
Read the Rulebook.

From the rulebook.

"Foreign Substances & Modification: Beyblade and launcher parts cannot be painted, coated, or physically modified in any way that affects their performance except in the methods explicitly outlined in the green section below . Bladers who intentionally modify the performance illegally of their equipment will be disqualified and potentially banned from future WBO events."

Since the parts you are trying to join together under normal play FALL APART as you mentioned, that is normal. Adding duct tape to hold them together makes it a modification in which you are changing what is normal.
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:23 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:00 AM)BladerGem Wrote: I've READ the rulebook, it doesn't say anything about Quality-Of-Life improvements. I was hoping that this could actually be looked over and possibly added to the rulebook, considering how poorly designed the launcher connections are in Burst (Hasbro, at least).

ItsI not official burst gear, it's custom.
So it's illegal.
@[BladerGem]

They ARE attached, they come detached through normal use.

(Apr. 14, 2018  2:10 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:00 AM)BladerGem Wrote: I've READ the rulebook, it doesn't say anything about Quality-Of-Life improvements. I was hoping that this could actually be looked over and possibly added to the rulebook, considering how poorly designed the launcher connections are in Burst (Hasbro, at least).

From the rulebook.

"Foreign Substances & Modification: Beyblade and launcher parts cannot be painted, coated, or physically modified in any way that affects their performance except in the methods explicitly outlined in the green section below . Bladers who intentionally modify the performance illegally of their equipment will be disqualified and potentially banned from future WBO events."

Since the parts you are trying to join together under normal play FALL APART as you mentioned, that is normal. Adding duct tape to hold them together makes it a modification in which you are changing what is normal.

Damn, you're a stickler for the rules.  IT'S NOT AFFECTING THEIR PERFORMANCE, IT'S JUST PREVENTING THE LAUNCHER FROM FLYING INTO SOMEONE'S FACE DURING PLAY.
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:13 PM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:23 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: ItsI not official burst gear, it's custom.
So it's illegal.
@[BladerGem]

(Apr. 14, 2018  2:10 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote: From the rulebook.

Damn, you're a stickler for the rules.  IT'S NOT AFFECTING THEIR PERFORMANCE, IT'S JUST PREVENTING THE LAUNCHER FROM FLYING INTO SOMEONE'S FACE DURING PLAY.

Calm yourself, If u  keep being like this you're gonna get banned
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:13 PM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:23 AM)Adarsh Abhinav Wrote: ItsI not official burst gear, it's custom.
So it's illegal.
@[BladerGem]

(Apr. 14, 2018  2:10 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote: From the rulebook.

Rules are there for a reason. Bring it to an official WBO tourney and you will be asked to unmodify it. If you refuse, round loss and/or disqualification may happen.
If you somehow manage to use it while modified unnoticed throughout a tourney and days after the event it comes to light, all of your played rounds will be counted as a loss.
Also, since you knowingly broke the rules, a ban will likely occur.
(Apr. 14, 2018  8:44 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2018  7:13 PM)BladerGem Wrote: They ARE attached, they come detached through normal use.

Rules are there for a reason. Bring it to an official WBO tourney and you will be asked to unmodify it. If you refuse, round loss and/or disqualification may happen.
If you somehow manage to use it while modified unnoticed throughout a tourney and days after the event it comes to light, all of your played rounds will be counted as a loss.

"Knowingly broke the rules"

??? Bish WHERE
(Apr. 15, 2018  12:24 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2018  8:44 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote: Rules are there for a reason. Bring it to an official WBO tourney and you will be asked to unmodify it. If you refuse, round loss and/or disqualification may happen.

??? Bish WHERE

calm down if your launcher is coming off the grip check to see if it or the grip is broken, if so replace the broken part, or if you didn't put the clips on correctly. What launcher and grip are you using?
(Apr. 15, 2018  1:21 AM)MWF Wrote:
(Apr. 15, 2018  12:24 AM)BladerGem Wrote: "Knowingly broke the rules"

??? Bish WHERE

calm down if your launcher is coming off the grip check to see if it or the grip is broken, if so replace the broken part, or if you didn't put the clips on correctly. What launcher and grip are you using?

Nothing is broken, and it's put on correctly. I'm using the Dual Threat launcher and the other launchers shown in the pictures I posted.
I don't get why this would be banned because the launcher falls off the grip all the time.
(Apr. 15, 2018  2:59 AM)RichieBoi Wrote: I don't get why this would be banned because the launcher falls off the grip all the time.

1. Remove the switch strike launcher and just use the dual threat and super grip.
2. That tab on the dual threat, that should lock the launcher to the grip.
3. Try just holding the launcher. Less stain is put on the launcher lessening the chance of the grip breaking and having the launcher fly off. (Happened to me once.)

For me I just hold the launcher and use no grip. Mainly because grips on switch strike launchers are awkward and my masters kit string launcher is unable to hold inline grips. The mini grip on the launcher snapped off due to strain that was too much for that part. Other than that the launcher is in perfect shape.
(Apr. 15, 2018  2:59 AM)RichieBoi Wrote: I don't get why this would be banned because the launcher falls off the grip all the time.
THANK you! I don't see why it would be banned either!
(Apr. 15, 2018  3:44 AM)MWF Wrote:

1. Remove the switch strike launcher and just use the dual threat and super grip.
3. Try just holding the launcher. Less stain is put on the launcher lessening the chance of the grip breaking and having the launcher fly off. (Happened to me once.)

For me I just hold the launcher and use no grip. Mainly because grips on switch strike launchers are awkward and my masters kit string launcher is unable to hold inline grips. The mini grip on the launcher snapped off due to strain that was too much for that part. Other than that the launcher is in perfect shape.

That's the thing, I'm using the tabs, but the way they're designed, they don't stay locked in properly/as well. I WOULD just hold the launcher, but...
The main reason why I use a grip is because when the string comes back, the plastic handle can sometimes whip you, and not only does it sting, but it'll leave a nasty red mark.

...Also, my hands are pretty huge compared to the Burst grips, so I'm just trying to use what's comfortable u-u'
I agree that, as per the current rules, it wouldn't be legal because it's not listed as an exception to the modifications. The rules would have to be changed to allow it.

But none of us here so far have the direct power to change the rules, whether we agree with them or not, other than voicing our thoughts. So yeah, we can talk about whether we think it's a good idea or not. I could see fair points made on both sides.

The previously quoted wording mentions some exceptions to the rules. Here are the closest bits to this scenario:
Quote:Painting or Decorating Launchers/Grips/Accessories: Launchers, Grips, and Accessories may be painted or decorated for aesthetic purposes only. Any paint or decoration added must not affect the performance or originally intended functions or gimmicks of the part and should not obstruct your opponent’s ability to launch properly in any way. If a judge determines your launcher, grip, or accessory has been modified to the point of illegality due to such modifications, they may tell you to you switch to a new version of that same part.

In this case, using the duct tape is not for a decoration, it is meant to fix an issue. Although Hasbro may have not intended that the issue exists, using the tape for securing purposes might be seen as adding more weight (if that's deemed a change of performance). But then again, not a decoration.

Quote:Broken BeyLauncher Handle: BeyLaunchers may be used with broken handles.

What is a legal broken handle? Can it be held together with tape? This is probably the closest to allowing it. But then, in this case the handle part isn't necessarily broken, just poorly designed.

So yeah, I don't think it was ever intended to allow the use of tape to strengthen the hold of a malfunctioning design. It would have to be considered. So again, currently illegal.
(Apr. 15, 2018  4:34 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
THANK you! I don't see why it would be banned either!
(Apr. 15, 2018  3:44 AM)MWF Wrote: 1. Remove the switch strike launcher and just use the dual threat and super grip.

That's the thing, I'm using the tabs, but the way they're designed, they don't stay locked in properly/as well. I WOULD just hold the launcher, but...
The main reason why I use a grip is because when the string comes back, the plastic handle can sometimes whip you, and not only does it sting, but it'll leave a nasty red mark.

...Also, my hands are pretty huge compared to the Burst grips, so I'm just trying to use what's comfortable u-u'

I can see why you don't what to get whipped by the string but at least remove the switch strike launcher. That launcher makes the set up too fragile.
(Apr. 15, 2018  1:07 PM) pid=\1430894' Wrote:I can see why you don't what to get whipped by the string but at least remove the switch strike launcher. That launcher makes the set up too fragile.

Hmmm, After some testing and stuff, I've realized. The new SwitchStrike LR launchers have a different tab, the tab is much weaker, I assume hasbro attempted to fix the issue of it flying off, but only made it worse.
Also, I put electrical tape on my supergrip  (the part where my hand goes). I have a weird mold and it cuts me, is my tape fix legal?
(Apr. 15, 2018  12:24 AM)BladerGem Wrote:
(Apr. 14, 2018  8:44 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote: Rules are there for a reason. Bring it to an official WBO tourney and you will be asked to unmodify it. If you refuse, round loss and/or disqualification may happen.

??? Bish WHERE

I meant if you knowingly used it at a WBO event, you would likely get a ban.
Also, did you try and circumvent the swear filter?
Ok, ok...
While it is more of a quality of life improvement, it still may affect performance in even the slightest way. The tape being placed there could give the user a better grip and thus a steadier launch, which would be through the use of the modification. You'll still be able to get the most out of your launcher as you can call a relaunch if your launcher messes up in some way or another, so you can still use it to the best of its abilities. Please bear with the rules as it is to keep the playing environment fair for everyone.

I'll be closing the thread before this escalates further