Toronto Beyblade Tournaments Weekend Report: BEYBLADE NORTH 2019 (BSC/BST/MFL)

[Image: aZyNyjZ.png]

TORONTO BEYBLADE TOURNAMENTS WEEKEND REPORT

May 24–26, 2019 at Anime North 2019 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BURST CLASSIC, BURST & METAL FIGHT LIMITED FORMATS
BSC OFFICIAL EVENT PAGEBST OFFICIAL EVENT PAGEMFL OFFICIAL EVENT PAGE

It’s that time of year again! After our milestone tenth year at Anime North in 2018, I returned once again to host the 2019 edition of BEYBLADE NORTH!

In this report, I’d like to first give some context and talk about the things which happened before the convention; this includes my mindset, goals, and ideas as it relates to the event. Then, I will move on to talking strictly about what happened on each of the three tournaments I hosted over three days at the convention.

Cool, this was a fun tournament.
I think reason, why only 64 peoples of 85 limit is comed, is this: peoples think: "there is only max 85 participants. I don't go to there, I can't get spot"
Awesome report!
Having about 30% more space than last year helped loads with the free-play area. The "Gatekeeper" henwooja's dad did an outstanding job. Without having a gatekeeper over the weekend each event would have been an hour longer at least. Having each judge assigned permanent stadium number helped the the bracket handlers tremendously. It is the least stressed I've ever seen @[JesseObre] and @[Kei] at a large event. Also, having the Bracket handlers FAR away from the crowd also played a major part in this haha
Not skipping over matches and doing them in order helped keep confusion down for the Bracket handlers as well as the judges. I am wholly behind the Challonge Stations option. It worked very well throughout the weekend.
6 Stadiums seems ideal for a 64 player turnout. I'd say if we hit the 124 mark 8 stadiums may be better.
Minor stuff that made a HUGE impact was Jesse's commentating. I drew in many spectators as well as passers-by.

A huge shoutout to all the judges and @[henwooja1]'s dad. You are officially the Gatekeeper at all big events! Smile
Also thanks for henwooja's dad for helping me bring ALL the stuff back to my storage unit on Sunday. My ride was MIA and Uber XL surge pricing was insane!
Oh, last but not least, thank you Mom for handling the BeyShop for us! Many of the spectators we got were roped in by her haha

MVP of the day: That speaker system! Without it, it would have been so stressful on the Saturday main event.
(Jun. 03, 2019  4:50 PM)ks123 Wrote: I think reason, why only 64 peoples of 85 limit is comed, is this: peoples think: "there is only max 85 participants. I don't go to there, I can't get spot"

I would tend to disagree because there was a clear method listed for pre-registering to secure a spot. I would say it might have more to do with the higher barrier to entry for getting into Anime North. Not only the price, but the time it takes to get your ticket at the convention and get to our event space. I know for a fact that there was regrettably a few people we had to turn away that showed up after a tournament had already started because they underestimated how long it would take to get into the convention.

(Jun. 03, 2019  6:07 PM)OldSchool™ Wrote: It is the least stressed I've ever seen @[JesseObre] and @[Kei] at a large event.

I see this as a huge win. Smile I still have nightmares about Beytuber Brawl and BEYBLADE SHOGATSU 2019 ...

But honestly yeah, I do feel like the Saturday event in particular was one of the best we've ever run in terms of organization. There was some hiccups towards the end of the first stage due to some mistakes that were made (causing us to re-do a bunch of matches), but even with that our processes were so clear that we were able to respond to those issues and execute a plan to fix them rapidly. Everything was smooth.
I decided to go with G3 00C At because it had realitivly done well against pP Xt+. And I thought it wouldn't get spin stolen from in opposite spin from ls3. I should have used something like pP outer bearing instead of dH as backup. My first instinct was pP At but I guess I second guessed myself. I've learned to go with my first instinct and more often than not I would have won if I did. But I guess I learned from saturday and came in first for MFB! And thanks Kei for letting me use "your" combo! I remember 1234 Beyblade told Jesseobre to call him and pyris to stadium 5 as a joke match. I was confused and didn't get it until 1234 pulled out his bey holder and the I'm not taking myself seriously voice. But anyways I had a great time this was the best one yet! Still, I'm probably the only person who doesn't want the next one to be a classic. XD
On the topic of Burst Classic, I would probably go for another round of testing on Xtend+ (since not a lot of people brought it) and Zeta' (since it is effectively a Massive' for defense beys).

Zephyr' and Accel' looked like issues given how well O.H.Z' did. There's not much data for H' or Rb'. Could those be in possibly the same vein as Z'/A'?

Doesn't seem like anyone used Volcanic', but it might need looking into after how it's being used in Burst Standard.

I'm surprised no one is trying out Destroy' in Classic. Why is that?
(Jun. 05, 2019  7:42 PM)AirKingNeo Wrote: On the topic of Burst Classic, I would probably go for another round of testing on Xtend+ (since not a lot of people brought it) and Zeta' (since it is effectively a Massive' for defense beys).

Zephyr' and Accel' looked like issues given how well O.H.Z' did. There's not much data for H' or Rb'. Could those be in possibly the same vein as Z'/A'?

Doesn't seem like anyone used Volcanic', but it might need looking into after how it's being used in Burst Standard.

I'm surprised no one is trying out Destroy' in Classic. Why is that?

We're getting to the point where soon we are just going to have to make a judgment and put out the initial ban list for ranked Burst Classic events. Inevitably, there is going to still be some things which emerge that are worth considering banning. That's OK. Like Metal Fight Limited, I think it is fair to look at Burst Classic as something which can evolve over time.

In any case, yeah I would like to see more testing for Xt+ and Zt', but they also aren't sounding massive alarm bells to me at the moment. Xt+ didn't seem to be an issue on Dragoon Fantom at the tournament (which was a primary concern going in), and yeah maybe Zt' on the ball tip could be used for defense ...

Rb' not a chance. A' and Z' are so good because their only weakness when paired with top tier stamina layers is other top tier stamina combos using things like Revolve. Check out Wombat's testing. Rb' just doesn't have the same qualities.

H' I still don't have yet, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have the same amount of stamina that A' and Z' do.

Similar to H', I also imagine Ds' doesn't have the same amount of same spin stamina that A'/Z' do ... and it also isn't really effective on Dragoon Fantom, so it's not super attractive.
I agree that you guys shouldn't have started out with classic. I understand it's hard to fit the tournaments you want into a 3 day event but starting out with a format that most kids don't know, and don't have the beys for, is a bad idea. The biggest surge in players, atleast in the west, happened around the start of Evolution, so unless they looked into the tournament description properly, which I doubt most younger participants do, they probably still wouldn't take dual layers with them to a tournament.
(Jun. 05, 2019  8:24 PM)Limetka Wrote: I agree that you guys shouldn't have started out with classic. I understand it's hard to fit the tournaments you want into a 3 day event but starting out with a format that most kids don't know, and don't have the beys for, is a bad idea. The biggest surge in players, atleast in the west, happened around the start of Evolution, so unless they looked into the tournament description properly, which I doubt most younger participants do, they probably still wouldn't take dual layers with them to a tournament.

In my comments about this I mainly meant our selection of whether to create a Classic format first or an Evolution/God-based one.

But since Classic is what we have, there was really no other way to structure the weekend: Saturday had to be Burst Format because it is the most popular day and format that would appeal to the most people. Sunday had to be Metal Fight since it is the least popular day and the least popular of the three formats. Friday had to be Burst Classic since Burst was scheduled for Saturday and Friday had the shortest window for us to do an event since it started at night and the venue closed at around 10-11pm.

You can't ever please everyone, but we do our best at Anime North to do so.
Dragoon F is strange. My testing for TT's is that it acctually takes away some of the L.A.D of drivers! Sure it can OS right spin stamina types on revolve when it's on Xt+ or et, but it gets countered by pretty much any right spin eternal on any layer. But the only break through the I've found with it is when you use Polish Xtend plus in attack it some times can barley beat out right spin eternal. Dgf is over all an inconsistent layer but it can sometimes get the win.