[Answered]  Too old

I'm 25 and still battle. If you find it fun, then that's all that truly matters.
You could also ask this question: will I let society deem me a creepy basement dweller for playing with tops recommended for 8 year olds?

Obviously Japan (not even counting Korea, Vietnam, some other Asian countries) seems to have some exception to this unspoken "rule", but America and internet culture have spread somewhat hostile opinions of Beyblade (IMO), especially due to the fact it has an anime.

The idea that tops have spirits living in them that manifest in hyperbolic battles seems ridiculous and childlike from an older perspective, and quite frankly does nothing to assist the series' public image; neither does the economic aspect of the products, as you could easily buy yourself dinner, buy some new clothes at some stores, or even just use it on other things with the same money (seriously, 20-30 dollars for a starter on eBay. Don't get me started on reshuffle sets or stadiums).

Parents especially may dislike buying customizable spinning tops (what they may view as unnecessary luxuries). Friends may consider you less mature or make fun of you, but then again what kind of friends are they?

In America, sports are a pretty big thing, and many people enjoy them, with football being particularly passionate (renting out houses for guests, painting your chest in team colors or letters alongside other people to spell out a word). Music is no different, with different types of it running rampant in just about any nation, really. Even TCGs like MTG, Yugioh, or even Pokemon (idk) are very widely recognized, and even have more recognition as a strategic game.

Beyblade, on the other hand, is considered a luck based game where you yell at a spinning top until it falls over. You can be called a creep for this; some people even exaggerate this (Youtube comments, cough cough) and ask fans if they'd challenge random kids to a battle like some cringy anime.

Nobody really pays attention to the physics involved, the careful selection of parts, or the ways you can launch them or reposition disks, frames, and drivers to balance out a beyblade (I could go into specifics, but I'm going to stick to basic points to avoid excess rambling).

And yet somehow, TCGs are seen as superior despite the amount of money they all cost (which can be quite similar to that of beyblade), and people are encouraged to "get off their asses" and play a sport like a real person, or actually be a productive member of society. A good portion of the YouTube community that are older (that I know of at least) are in relationships, have their own house, have a job, etc., but are ignored in favor for paying attention to and exaggerating the worst aspects of the community.

Of course, I could almost say that the WBO (or at least a few members) can be slightly hostile towards new members or members without much experience playing with WBO rules/standards. But the majority of the members here are quite considerate, and it won't hurt to ask questions if you need to.

Overall...I'd say that if you're really worried about your age being an inappropriate factor when it comes to playing beyblade, you really shouldn't worry too much. I won't go off of a limb and say that you get harassed or trashed online or IRL for being someone who enjoys beyblade, but it certainly doesn't make you look more like a model citizen of "proper" or "mature" society IMO.

Let's face it, you're going to meet people who will be inconsiderate of your feelings, especially if you enjoy something perceived as a toy meant for younger children. But think for a moment; it's your decision, not theirs. You decide what you want, whether or not to enjoy what you want, what to do with your money, etc. Some immature people who don't have the self confidence to keep their mouths shut shouldn't be the ones telling you what to do or not to do.

I question whether or not my age is a bad age to play with beyblades all the time. But I enjoy it, so I'm not exactly going to let friends or others tell me not to enjoy it (I don't tell most of my friends, lol, so maybe I'm the insecure one). I'm not a fan of the anime, but like I (kind of) said, that doesn't have to be something associated with you just because you enjoy beyblades.

As long as you're fine with it, it shouldn't bother you if you're 17 and want to play beyblade. If you don't want to, fine. If you do, that's cool as well.

- Dragunix
(Nov. 11, 2018  11:07 PM)Dragunix Wrote: You could also ask this question: will I let society deem me a creepy basement dweller for playing with tops recommended for 8 year olds?

Obviously Japan (not even counting Korea, Vietnam, some other Asian countries) seems to have some exception to this unspoken "rule", but America and internet culture have spread somewhat hostile opinions of Beyblade (IMO), especially due to the fact it has an anime.

The idea that tops have spirits living in them that manifest in hyperbolic battles seems ridiculous and childlike from an older perspective, and quite frankly does nothing to assist the series' public image; neither does the economic aspect of the products, as you could easily buy yourself dinner, buy some new clothes at some stores, or even just use it on other things with the same money (seriously, 20-30 dollars for a starter on eBay. Don't get me started on reshuffle sets or stadiums).

Parents especially may dislike buying customizable spinning tops (what they may view as unnecessary luxuries). Friends may consider you less mature or make fun of you, but then again what kind of friends are they?

In America, sports are a pretty big thing, and many people enjoy them, with football being particularly passionate (renting out houses for guests, painting your chest in team colors or letters alongside other people to spell out a word). Music is no different, with different types of it running rampant in just about any nation, really. Even TCGs like MTG, Yugioh, or even Pokemon (idk) are very widely recognized, and even have more recognition as a strategic game.

Beyblade, on the other hand, is considered a luck based game where you yell at a spinning top until it falls over. You can be called a creep for this; some people even exaggerate this (Youtube comments, cough cough) and ask fans if they'd challenge random kids to a battle like some cringy anime.

Nobody really pays attention to the physics involved, the careful selection of parts, or the ways you can launch them or reposition disks, frames, and drivers to balance out a beyblade (I could go into specifics, but I'm going to stick to basic points to avoid excess rambling).

And yet somehow, TCGs are seen as superior despite the amount of money they all cost (which can be quite similar to that of beyblade), and people are encouraged to "get off their asses" and play a sport like a real person, or actually be a productive member of society. A good portion of the YouTube community that are older (that I know of at least) are in relationships, have their own house, have a job, etc., but are ignored in favor for paying attention to and exaggerating the worst aspects of the community.

Of course, I could almost say that the WBO (or at least a few members) can be slightly hostile towards new members or members without much experience playing with WBO rules/standards. But the majority of the members here are quite considerate, and it won't hurt to ask questions if you need to.

Overall...I'd say that if you're really worried about your age being an inappropriate factor when it comes to playing beyblade, you really shouldn't worry too much. I won't go off of a limb and say that you get harassed or trashed online or IRL for being someone who enjoys beyblade, but it certainly doesn't make you look more like a model citizen of "proper" or "mature" society IMO.

Let's face it, you're going to meet people who will be inconsiderate of your feelings, especially if you enjoy something perceived as a toy meant for younger children. But think for a moment; it's your decision, not theirs. You decide what you want, whether or not to enjoy what you want, what to do with your money, etc. Some immature people who don't have the self confidence to keep their mouths shut shouldn't be the ones telling you what to do or not to do.

I question whether or not my age is a bad age to play with beyblades all the time. But I enjoy it, so I'm not exactly going to let friends or others tell me not to enjoy it (I don't tell most of my friends, lol, so maybe I'm the insecure one). I'm not a fan of the anime, but like I (kind of) said, that doesn't have to be something associated with you just because you enjoy beyblades.

As long as you're fine with it, it shouldn't bother you if you're 17 and want to play beyblade. If you don't want to, fine. If you do, that's cool as well.

- Dragunix
"Sniff" Beautiful...
Yeah, what Dragunix said. No matter what hobbies you do, somebody is going to be rude because of it. At least make that hobby a fun one.
@[Dragunix], what an essay. Basically, @[SpiderFlash69], don't doubt yourself. People that you talk to might judge your decision to be a Blader, but that's why the WBO was created: to talk about Beyblade and other things with other Bladers that you know will understand you. Even though Hasbro doesn't let teens or adults play in their tournaments, that's only for strength balancing. But who cares about that since a WBO tournament can be made near where you live? If you decide to play Beyblade, we'll always welcome you, because there are many awesome people that can give you tips, recommendations, and even sell you Beyblade products to help you along the way.

Let me just do my signature thing so it doesn't look like I copied a certain other Blader that's totally not called Dragunix *cough*

(Nov. 12, 2018  1:48 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: @[Dragunix], what an essay. Basically, @[SpiderFlash69], don't doubt yourself. People that you talk to might judge your decision to be a Blader, but that's why the WBO was created: to talk about Beyblade and other things with other Bladers that you know will understand you. Even though Hasbro doesn't let teens or adults play in their tournaments, that's only for strength balancing. But who cares about that since a WBO tournament can be made near where you live? If you decide to play Beyblade, we'll always welcome you, because there are many awesome people that can give you tips, recommendations, and even sell you Beyblade products to help you along the way.

Let me just do my signature thing so it doesn't look like I copied a certain other Blader that's totally not called Dragunix *cough*

Impressive signature, but you need more quotes. But yes I agree.

(Nov. 12, 2018  1:56 AM)Dt20000 Wrote:
(Nov. 12, 2018  1:48 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: @[Dragunix], what an essay. Basically, @[SpiderFlash69], don't doubt yourself. People that you talk to might judge your decision to be a Blader, but that's why the WBO was created: to talk about Beyblade and other things with other Bladers that you know will understand you. Even though Hasbro doesn't let teens or adults play in their tournaments, that's only for strength balancing. But who cares about that since a WBO tournament can be made near where you live? If you decide to play Beyblade, we'll always welcome you, because there are many awesome people that can give you tips, recommendations, and even sell you Beyblade products to help you along the way.

Impressive signature, but you need more quotes. But yes I agree.

I remember that, a while back, I made the most legendary spoiler ever. More so than this.
(Nov. 12, 2018  2:09 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote:
(Nov. 12, 2018  1:56 AM)Dt20000 Wrote: Impressive signature, but you need more quotes. But yes I agree.

I remember that, a while back, I made the most legendary spoiler ever. More so than this.

Hey buddy

Dont you think on it for a minute...Yes i agree to the fact that you may get harassed ,considered a child,but consider it as a hobby to yourself..
You know just like collecting things from marvel,money etc....beyblade is no different from that,..ppl may think your inappropriate to beys considering your age...

But ultimately its your life you can do whatever you want,it is not the life of the ppl who harass you, live your life ...if u let others intervene in it , then you are gonna live your life for them...
If ppl don't like what you do they are jealous of you,the envy bcos they cannot do whatever they want bcos they are afraid of the society...

This is something that happened in the street where I live ..my neighbour is a 15 yr old kid..he comes to play video games to my home,one day he got interested on beyblade and started His hobby...
After one week his mom came to me and thanked me...she said that bcos of beyblade her son doesn't see any 18+ content on the internet..

Like that dont let others determine who you are..

-Phoenix8Nt
(Nov. 11, 2018  9:07 PM)SpiderFlash69 Wrote: Is 17 to old to get into beyblade???
I am 41, I started at 40. My son is 7, he started at 6.  If you are inappropriate then you can have the comfort of knowing that someone is 24yrs more inappropriate than you.

This is a great game.
I’ve been a Blader for over 1 year and a half, and i don’t plan on stopping, no matter how old I am.
I've loved it since about 10 or 11. People acted like I was too old for it. I had a collection of 100 that I sold at 15 because I think I started to listen, but regret it. Wish I still had that collection, although I did use the money to buy a PS3 that I also had good times on. Back during MFB, I hosted non WBO tournaments, one of which had almost 300 people come to it. I've started to stop caring what people think about me and my hobbies, etc., and I'm still learning to get better at it. I thought I was done with beyblade but got right back into it at 16. Next year I'll be 20. I'm not just some basement dweller either. I've got a decent job, will be moving out soon, and will be marrying my fiancé. Currently living with her dad and grandma. My dad was the person trying to get me to quit beyblade, but I don't think I ever really wanted to. My true friends and the people closest to me really don't care about my hobby. I think I tell myself that it's more unusual than it actually is to be into beyblade. People who actually care about you can overlook it and maybe even enjoy it with you. It's really not that big of a deal. Just do whatever you enjoy in life and try to ignore any negative influences that tell you to do anything other than what you enjoy. I'm almost 20 and in a way I'm still finding out who I am and what I enjoy because people have tried to tell me who I am. Now that I'm on my own, and with support from my fiancé, I get closer to finding "me" every day.
Am i the only one who is 13 and still told im too old?
(Nov. 12, 2018  2:38 PM)Mohith0412 Wrote: Am i the only one who is 13 and still told im too old?

I’m almost 12 and told I’m too old
" Age doesn't matters , Your bey-spirit does !! "
--------- Gingka Hagane
I'm 24 and a university student- I keep my collection in uni to keep it secret from the only people who disapprove of it (the parental units) but since I did I have found and made some of my friends fans of the hobby who are around my age.

we can appreciate the elements of physics that come into play with minute changes to factors such as launch angle and customisation of parts. But regardless of all of that.

as long as you keep your priorities in order
i.e.
take care of your health, have a job that can support your lifestyle, insurance and all things that are required to be a functioning member of society.

Then its no-ones buisness to say whether or not you are too old to enjoy anything designed for a younger audience.
(Nov. 12, 2018  2:23 AM)Dt20000 Wrote:
(Nov. 12, 2018  2:09 AM)CitrusNinja3 Wrote: I remember that, a while back, I made the most legendary spoiler ever. More so than this.

(Nov. 12, 2018  7:38 PM)Ntruder19 Wrote:
(Nov. 12, 2018  2:23 AM)Dt20000 Wrote:

How much time- nevermind lol
29 happily married with 3 children, first played it when it came out in the uk at age 12
(at the same age as Tyson hehe)
loved it the forgot about it and picked it back up at age 22 been playing since
No, you're not too old.

Adults, and particularly younger people, labeling things as "not being grown-up enough" has probably almost always happened. Yours isn't even the first thread to pose this question here. Here's another one and another one.

C.S. Lewis, author of the Chronicles of Narnia, has a quote regarding this:

Quote:Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development.

When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

In my family, you're never too old to watch cartoons or play with toys. As long as you're being responsible and taking care of your needs, you're good with whatever you do.

Those who cannot respect that people can like different things and feel it necessary to put others down, they're the ones that need to grow up.
(Nov. 12, 2018  9:20 PM)Morsoe Wrote: 29 happily married with 3 children, first played it when it came out in the uk at age 12
(at the same age as Tyson hehe)
loved it the forgot about it and picked it back up at age 22 been playing since

Whoa, that’s really weird Morsoe, that’s pretty much exactly what happened to me. I started at 13, bought 11 beyblades and then stopped. Completely missed HMS which I’m still gutted about, started collecting again at 22 then stopped at 25 but started again about a year ago and I’m 31 now. The great thing about being an adult who loves them is hopefully you can afford to buy more of them. Woohoo!!
Based off of what ive read so far your not too old everyone has there own hobbies besides one of the benefits of being older is you can get more beyblade stuff. As long as you are willing to work and get a job and not be a creepy basement dweller who lives in their moms home and doesn't want to work and keep them self healthy and plays with spining tops and watches anime all day and is childish  then i think your too old. I mean there are actual grown men who play video games ,tcg,legos  and many other things out of their age range so why can't a dude play with tops? (jeez i said and alot )