Time/Dimension Theories

First, this was a massive bump. 2 posts ago, it was 21st November 2012

And psychologically, you can't find anything outside the universe. Because to see it, there must be matter. And if there's matter, then the universe hasn't ended. Thus, you are just looking at the universe.
Erm. Looks like this topic kind of went downhill on page 3 lol
Anyway, I've always been really interested in this kind of thing, but never really had the time to explore anything in depth aside from the theory of relativity. I'd recommend Stephen Hawking's movies for easier to understand information.
I don't think you should expect necessarily advanced-level discussion about alternate dimensions and string theory on a children's spinning top forum...

I saw this a very long time ago but never deigned a response. I personally like the idea of the 11-dimension idea, and the belief that we are living in a four-dimensional space according to modern physics. The technical term is that the 3 spatial dimensions and dimension of time (commonly referred to as the 4th dimension) are unified in a Minkowski continuum known as spacetime. That's heard in popular culture a lot, but usually not in the right manner.

The Minkowski space, where Einstein formulated special relativity, contrasts with normal Euclidean space, where most of the known geometry laws apply, in that it adds an extra timelike dimension. This allows objects to be 'altered' with respect to time, as seen in the rotation of a tesseract or hypercube.

You could go into gravitation and its effect on the continuum, general relativity vs. special relativity, and Lorentz transformations, but then you start going really deep and discussing pseudo-Riemann manifolds, pseudo-Euclidean spaces, and Poincaré groups and it gets extremely theoretical. It's fascinating but incredibly complex, I wrote a small and basic paper on it a few years ago but it only brushed the tip of the iceberg.

As much as I love the idea of the Minkowski continuum though, string theory is rather annoying and almost impossible to prove. It's especially bad considering that different interpretations lead to different numbers of dimensions with different alterations about them.
I read about the special and general theory of relativity sometime back but I didn't know calculus back then so I never tried reading about the mathematical part of it.
The introduction spacetime dimension does explain a lot of phenomena, like the bending of light in strong gravitational field or the irregular orbit of Mercury caused by the 'dip' in spacetime layer due to the sun's gravitation. It's explained really well on library.thinkquest.com (IIRC)
(Sep. 18, 2013  6:59 PM)N0body Wrote: I read about the special and general theory of relativity sometime back but I didn't know calculus back then so I never tried reading about the mathematical part of it.
The introduction spacetime dimension does explain a lot of phenomena, like the bending of light in strong gravitational field or the irregular orbit of Mercury caused by the 'dip' in spacetime layer due to the sun's gravitation. It's explained really well on library.thinkquest.com (IIRC)

Since you brought up curvature of spacetime, I have to add that it is one of my most favorite theories as it has a lot of practical evidence, or at least as practical as can be for evidence of theoretical physics constructs. Tongue_out

Lmao when I wrote wrote that paper I had to learn what integration was for pseudo-Riemann manifolds, which led to a really warped view of it for about a year haha. Looking back now it makes sense, but when I wrote that paper I was incredibly confused.

Yes, thinkquest is actually a great website for extracurricular studies. For math-specific subjects, another excellent site is Wolfram-Mathworld.
wow you people are making a big deal out of this
Yeah... Why not? It's helping to give you a greater understanding of theoretical physics and the universe.
yeah ok
What we're discussing would be considered appropriate. What you're commenting would be considered ignorant.

If you read the OP, he refers to string theory. The multidimensional universe theories that we are discussing here have a basis in physics and general/special relativity, just like the theory he mentions.

That is incredibly different from simply saying 'gaiz what if da pokemanz existed elsewhere'. I may sound blunt, but the ignorance of one should not beget apathy from others. We have even suggested good websites to learn about what we are discussing. That isn't a reason to write off our discussion as a 'big deal', because if what we're discussing is a 'big deal' then you've got a long way to go before you're able to begin handling more concrete subjects such as calculus and mechanics.
(Sep. 18, 2013  7:23 PM)GaHooleone Wrote:
(Sep. 18, 2013  6:59 PM)N0body Wrote: I read about the special and general theory of relativity sometime back but I didn't know calculus back then so I never tried reading about the mathematical part of it.

Since you brought up curvature of spacetime, I have to add that it is one of my most favorite theories as it has a lot of practical evidence, or at least as practical as can be for evidence of theoretical physics constructs. Tongue_out

Too bad that thd Theory of Relativity and Quantum mechanics don't go hand in hand. But these two along with Newtonian mechanics explain almost every phenomena. Quantum mechanics for the atomic level, Newtonian mechanics for everyday activities and Theory of Relativity for heavenly bodies.
While the Theory of Relativity seems complex, it is interesting. But after reading that, it becomes difficult to digest the quantization. At least in my case, it did take me a long time to understand quantization.
But while studying about these extremes, classical Newtonian mechanics, the one which is practically the most useful, gets completely sidelined.

EDIT: I guess I went off-topic there.
If we're considering the effects of outside theorem on theorem involving time, the what about Schrodinger's Cat? By that logic, other dimensions do and don't exist, because there is no way to yet observe them definitively. By the logic of them half-existing, then it would make sense that the 11-dimension theorem is plausible. However, what if there are no observers in other dimensions? Then they still exist, but as far as those dimensions are concerned, we don't. No observing capability on the "other side." While this is kind of a stretch, it was something interesting I thought of. Technically, if we were to travel dimensions, die, then lose whatever allowed us to travel in the first place, then this dimension would cease to exist, having absolutely no observable capability of existing.