Proposals: Standards for Image Captions, Linking, and Trivia

Foreward

First off, Id like to apologize for the strange font here. I wrote this in Google Docs to save progress as I write. Apologies if this is not the right subforum — this part of the WBO typically isnt as active when it comes to animanga content, so Im not sure if Im doing something wrong

Okay, some background: Please note that this is regarding animanga info. The wiki does an exceptional job with Bey parts and toys, no doubt. I only want to suggest some improvements on the animanga aspects.

I have edited on the Beyblade wiki awhile back, having around 2k edits on an account of the same name. Some experience with wiki clean-ups here and there, and editing on the Beyblade wiki itself, I noticed some things Ive been meaning to talk about for away. Although I do not edit much anymore, I am still very much a reader of the wiki. As such, I want to propose some changes/suggestions as to make the wiki more professional-looking and nicer to read, if that is not too much of a hassle. I am proposing changes because I dont see a lot of guidelines for the animanga content, and I resonated with some viewers’ feelings when they said the wiki is a mess at times

Proposal One: Make a standard for image captions

Proposal Two: Only link one instance of a page

Proposal Three: Make a standard for trivia

Conclusion

Yep, Im aware that cleaning up the wiki is a hecking pain. It takes effort and energy to make things nice. But I suppose everything comes with a price

Im only here today to suggest these changes because I love Beyblade. And I think its time to reach out and inquire if the wiki could be touched up. Whereas I could always edit myself, I wanted to suggest these changes as to not do huge cleanups without warning and to connect others. Awhile back, a staff member noted that there was a disconnect between the wiki and the WBO — which is true, since some users and I find that the information is messy and displayed unprofessionally. And thus it creates an odd vibe where we dont wanna touch the wiki, eek

I believe that, with a little effort, the wiki can be touched-up one step at a time. Everyone can pitch in and contribute to the cleanups, and the wiki would ultimately be a nicer place to get animanga info at. It might take awhile, but what matters most is that it happens

My final disclaimer: Im just glad if anyone reads this! And Im also aware that not every wiki runs the same and things might actually turn out well for one wiki, whereas it doesnt for another. These are just suggestions based off the thoughts of a couple users and I
I actually think this is a great idea; I've been active on a couple other fandom wikis and they appear to be more organized than the Beyblade wiki, for reasons stated above.
(Btw, I noticed that apparently, only some people are allowed to edit the wiki. Is this to prevent anyone from adding whatever they want on pages? And how do you gain access to editing?)
you have done it again Great idea
(Jun. 17, 2021  10:22 AM)PinkRose Wrote: I actually think this is a great idea; I've been active on a couple other fandom wikis and they appear to be more organized than the Beyblade wiki, for reasons stated above.
(Btw, I noticed that apparently, only some people are allowed to edit the wiki. Is this to prevent anyone from adding whatever they want on pages? And how do you gain access to editing?)

Im not sure what is going on, to be honest. Around my time, theres these:

* Only Beyblade wiki content moderators and above can edit popular pages such as protagonists (to prevent vandalism and false info). This can be seen by a lock next to the page’s edit button, even if you made an account
* If you recently made a new Fandom account, theres a 5-day wait for auto confirmation. This means you cant edit during your first 5 days
* Beyblade wiki is currently not allowing guests (unregistered accounts) to edit
Hmm, that would explain why I couldn't edit anything (I had a fandom account for over 2 years now, but I don't have the mod status).
That aside though, I hope someone else who has the ability to edit the wiki sees this thing; it can help greatly in making it more organized and professional.
I just logged into my account again

Huh, popular pages like Valt are oddly unlocked again? Im not sure if theyre locking/unlocking pages with notices up and all that. I can also edit pages fine — apologies, Im not quite sure what is up (maybe its because Im a trusted user? I did interact with wiki staff a lot awhile back)

Other than that, yeah, I hope someone sees this soon. Maybe a word from Mana or KJ since theyre staff members I often see on the wiki. People can technically change info on their own, but rule of thumb is that very big changes shouldnt be made unless wiki mods are aware/allow you to do them. Not to mention theres been edit warring in the past about what constitutes as good trivia
In regards to guidelines, the wiki does have a Manual of Style but no one bothers reading it. For example, we do have a section regarding specifically what bad trivia would look like - the thing is most editors making these poor edits aren't the sort of people who would bother reading guidelines before editing in the first place.

The issue is spotting and removing dodgy trivia and image captions, because we don't have editors who can 100% look at every page and piece of trivia. Sometimes stuff just goes under the radar.
Yeah, thats completely understandable. Its hard to look after a lot of edits and I definitely understand edits getting under the radar. I just wanted to mostly suggest some more comprehensive/detailed information in the current edit guidelines — but in the end, theres gonna be that crowd on every wiki that does not review editing guidelines. Its sad

Based on my time there — and the fact that theres a fair amount of wiki editors who are unfamiliar with the WBO — I do have a couple more suggestions if it doesnt hurt!

List of wiki staff

Based on experience on other wikis, one reason why things get swept under the rug is that we editors dont tend to report (unfortunately). For most people, its kinda hard to find people to report to if theres no easy-to-find list of them. Especially if theyre not on the WBO like we are, and they might not know who is actually who. Thus, they also dont have a presence on the WBO Discord seever. Of course, I myself try to find mods myself, but others might not fare as well as I do. Who knows? Having an easy-to-find list of wiki staff could help things, even if just a little

Modicons

Modicons are little images/symbols next to a mod’s username, typically for users to know that “wow, this user must be special around here.” One example is the Wings of Fire wiki, where every mod has an icon of their liking (from a dragon to Shrek, etc.). These icons show up on the wiki editing feed as well as message walls. Even those who dont speak English can tell theyre mods. Whereas wiki admins and above on the Beyblade wiki have colored usernames (if I recall correctly? Unless Im remembering the wrong wiki), there are normal content mods with not a lot to mark them off besides the on-profile label

Visuals help a lot, its universal. People tend to take visuals importantly and remember a lot from them. Modicons might make it easier for people to understand who are mods

I myself could try to help things a little. I could make a new account (I havent used my old one in awhile) and work on editing some things around, especially the trivia and looking for odd captions. Though, for stuff like linking, Ill just wait until theres a more concise stance on whether we should only link once or not

Thank you and the other wiki staff for looking after the wiki! It means a lot, and even moreso that you guys look over feedback. Awesome