[Product]  B-139 Starter Wizard Fafnir.Rt.Rs 閃

(May. 09, 2019  9:18 PM)MagikHorse Wrote:
(May. 09, 2019  8:08 PM)XYZ-Jaden Wrote: *snip*

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "condemning" Ratchet. Maybe I hyped its flaw a bit too much, sure, but it's just something I noticed about its design and pointed out. It wasn't meant as a "OMG you guys don't use this evar!" sort of post as much as a "did they even realize this was a possibility?" sorta thing. You've sorta taken it and ran far further than I ever meant for it to go tbh.

Even then, after smacking some layers against Ratchet directly by hand, I've noticed Wizard Fafnir usually takes more damage than the attacker. My guess is that it's because Wizard raises the chip up a bit too high, and therefore makes its teeth significantly weaker. It's still quite the fluke to have this happen in a match to begin with as I've said multiple times now so it's not like it's a big thing, but it's still a flaw nonetheless.

Luckily, the flaw isn't universal because I'm thinking of using Ratchet on czS.Rt.Br so that the disk-to-layer contact flaw doesn't come up as such a problem.
(May. 09, 2019  9:18 PM)MagikHorse Wrote:
(May. 09, 2019  8:08 PM)XYZ-Jaden Wrote: *snip*

Don't get me wrong, I'm not "condemning" Ratchet. Maybe I hyped its flaw a bit too much, sure, but it's just something I noticed about its design and pointed out. It wasn't meant as a "OMG you guys don't use this evar!" sort of post as much as a "did they even realize this was a possibility?" sorta thing. You've sorta taken it and ran far further than I ever meant for it to go tbh.

Even then, after smacking some layers against Ratchet directly by hand, I've noticed Wizard Fafnir usually takes more damage than the attacker. My guess is that it's because Wizard raises the chip up a bit too high, and therefore makes its teeth significantly weaker. It's still quite the fluke to have this happen in a match to begin with as I've said multiple times now so it's not like it's a big thing, but it's still a flaw nonetheless.

Because smacking around layers by hand is always accurate and a good idea
(May. 09, 2019  9:38 PM)MagixG Wrote: Because smacking around layers by hand is always accurate and a good idea

Do you have a better idea for testing this when it's so hard to hit Ratchet already? If so, please share with the class instead of mocking my idea. More constructive that way.

In this scenario the only things that really matter are the angle of the impact and the difference between their rotational velocity anyways, so unless you have some reason why it's not accurate I don't know what you're trying to get at.
(May. 09, 2019  9:55 PM)MagikHorse Wrote:
(May. 09, 2019  9:38 PM)MagixG Wrote: Because smacking around layers by hand is always accurate and a good idea

Do you have a better idea for testing this when it's so hard to hit Ratchet already? If so, please share with the class instead of mocking my idea. More constructive that way.

In this scenario the only things that really matter are the angle of the impact and the difference between their rotational velocity anyways, so unless you have some reason why it's not accurate I don't know what you're trying to get at.

The big reason as to why hand hitting is not a great idea is because it's hard to prove consistency in battles and the height of the beys in relation to each other, as well as the angle of impact, can be greatly exaggerated. I would think a better idea is to just let the stadium do all the work, it's intended job.
(May. 09, 2019  9:59 PM)MagixG Wrote: The big reason as to why hand hitting is not a great idea is because it's hard to prove consistency in battles and the height of the beys in relation to each other, as well as the angle of impact, can be greatly exaggerated. I would think a better idea is to just let the stadium do all the work, it's intended job.

Even if the angle's not perfect the trend still holds pretty firm. Still, I thought of a better idea of simply launching a bey and releasing Fafnir right in front of it at an angle so that Ratchet would be hit, so I did that to quell you and "let the stadium do all the work for me" as you put it.

First two tries failed completely as Wizard got hit instead and the bey simply started spinning like normal. Third time though was fortuitous, as I released it at a good moment and at a good angle right in front of it. In a single hit Slash Ashura.0.X' Zan one-shot burst my stock Wizard Fafnir by slamming into Ratchet, although it took about half of its own burst damage as a result of that hit. Enough power can indeed cause a burst or cause burst damage, but XYZ-Jaden is right that it does put a lot of stress on the attacking layer to do so.

The only thing I see that might be off here is the total speed difference, because let's be honest Slash Ashura was still going fairly fast in front of the stationary Wizard Fafnir, but it still serves as a proof of concept that A: a right-spinning bey can actually cause burst damage to a left-spin bey by hitting Ratchet, and B: the attacker can survive said hit. Maybe not the "self-destruct button" I originally hyped it up as, but still possible in the slim chance that Ratchet gets hit.
From my previous play tests, it seems that Wizard Fafnir has just almost the same use as Drain Fafnir, in that it is usable most probably against opposite spin alone due to weak teeth. The overly exposed rubber protrusions on the Base makes it more prone to recoil against same spin and the Disk doesn't really make that much of a difference to the performance (of the stock combo).

Since they made it clear that the GT Chips won't be compatible with opposing spin direction Bases, unless they pull a Spriggan again on this series, all Wizard can be treated is as a heavier and wider version of Drain, imo. I doubt that even with the teaser for the new rubber Weight (not sure which release it'll belong to, but most probably not the upcoming booster unless it was just a random combo put on the new Base+Chip) will be able to make Wizard Fafnir more viable, but right now I just feel that it only has potential as a zombie Bey.

I find that combining it with 8'Proof Absorb Sen works quite well (albeit some Bursts due to bad launches). it has some fight against most right spins with medium to high recoil, but it really struggles against same-spin match-ups (especially against the Longinus line). Other somehow nice combos are using it with 7/0Glaive/Cross Atomic/Destroy', 7/8'/10Wall/Lift Bearing/Xtend+. I won't be inclined to use Eternal on it since it needs Frames to be more stable and have LAD (as Eternal is best used without Frame setups to maximize LAD for non-rubberized Layers/Bases).

No formal testing has been done yet on it on those combos since I was still busy with finalizing my Geist Fafnir combo to be used for tournaments.

TL;DR Wizard Fafnir is a great rehash of the then-powerful Drain Fafnir release. It could've been a monster if the tournament format only allowed GT Beys. Otherwise, it will probably lose so much even on Dash Drivers simply because the rubber on it is "stickier/grippier" than Drain Fafnir. All of these are just my opinion and derivation from experiencing Wizard Fafnir firsthand.
You wouldn't use 8'Proof. You'd use 0/7/10/00 with Proof or Expand.
(May. 11, 2019  1:58 AM)AirKingNeo Wrote: You wouldn't use 8'Proof. You'd use 0/7/10/00 with Proof or Expand.

Expand would probably exacerbate the scrape risk resulting to lesser LAD already imposed by the Wizard Base. 00/10/7 are a bit heavier than the Layer and actually decreases Burst resistance due to high OWD (on same spin match-ups, of course).

But I guess testing is the only way to go to check the viability.
So, forgive me if my physics are off, as I haven't tested this myself, but hypothetically, abusing Wizard Fafnir's main gimmick of being a zombie bey(going from no spin to actual spin) can hypothetically cause Wizard Fafnir to become a right-spinning bey if going against a left-spin. Hear me out, what I'm saying is that the layer just has TONS of rubber on the perimeter, and in its stock(I have no clue how Rise actually works, so I'm assuming that it is at normal-contact hight, not Ratchet-contact height) it has that zombie-potential. When it is stationary, there's nothing saying it MUST spin left, correct? The same physics can be enacted when it is going against a left-spin bey, thus making a right-spin(potentially unburstable?) Fafnir! ...Can someone test this, please?
(May. 12, 2019  2:45 AM)IceCreeper909 Wrote: So, forgive me if my physics are off, as I haven't tested this myself, but hypothetically, abusing Wizard Fafnir's main gimmick of being a zombie bey(going from no spin to actual spin) can hypothetically cause Wizard Fafnir to become a right-spinning bey if going against a left-spin. Hear me out, what I'm saying is that the layer just has TONS of rubber on the perimeter,  and in its stock(I have no clue how Rise actually works, so I'm assuming that it is at normal-contact hight, not Ratchet-contact height) it has that zombie-potential. When it is stationary, there's nothing saying it MUST spin left, correct? The same physics can be enacted when it is going against a left-spin bey, thus making a right-spin(potentially unburstable?) Fafnir! ...Can someone test this, please?

You are quite correct on that. Due to the Base having lots of rubber, from a standstill, it can steal spin from either direction, and will technically never Burst when spin equalizing from left spin opponents. But of course it is illegal since the configuration of Fafnir is left spin only and it has to be shot into the stadium via a launcher.
(May. 12, 2019  4:15 AM)Rouzuke Wrote:
(May. 12, 2019  2:45 AM)IceCreeper909 Wrote: So, forgive me if my physics are off, as I haven't tested this myself, but hypothetically, abusing Wizard Fafnir's main gimmick of being a zombie bey(going from no spin to actual spin) can hypothetically cause Wizard Fafnir to become a right-spinning bey if going against a left-spin. Hear me out, what I'm saying is that the layer just has TONS of rubber on the perimeter,  and in its stock(I have no clue how Rise actually works, so I'm assuming that it is at normal-contact hight, not Ratchet-contact height) it has that zombie-potential. When it is stationary, there's nothing saying it MUST spin left, correct? The same physics can be enacted when it is going against a left-spin bey, thus making a right-spin(potentially unburstable?) Fafnir! ...Can someone test this, please?

You are quite correct on that. Due to the Base having lots of rubber, from a standstill, it can steal spin from either direction, and will technically never Burst when spin equalizing from left spin opponents. But of course it is illegal since the configuration of Fafnir is left spin only and it has to be shot into the stadium via a launcher.

Yes, of course, but if it WAS legal, that'd be broken.