No Game No Life Review/Discussion

Lately, I have been enjoying a lot of shorter anime. "No Game No Life" is no exception.

Spoiler-less small review ahead

Premise:
Your premise is simple, but isn't. Meet Sora, an 18 year old shut in, and his 11 year old sister, Shiro...also a shut in. Together they are known to the world as "Blank" - an undefeatable being in every game of every kind. Individually, they are at genius level IQ's, but are completely socially inept, and live a complete Otaku life style together where they do nothing but play games and win. Any chance of them losing is zero once they play together as "Blank." They both resent the world thy live in, calling it nothing more than a "crappy game." One day, "Blank" receives a mysterious message, challenging them to a game of simple Chess. After winning, Sora and Shiro are reborn into a new world where everything is decided by games. There is no war, no murder, and all world conquest is done through whatever game the "players" decide. And in these games, anything can be wagered. A coin toss can decide if you can keep your possessions, your memories, your life, or if you conquer a kingdom, and it is all in accordance with the laws of this world, known as the Ten Pledges;

True first impressions are good for the audience. Hearing about the anime's premise from a friend through his vague and boring description did not get me interested at all. After finally watching episode one, I was much more than intrigued. The animation looks great, and makes great use of its unique brightly colored art style, which contrasts the first 5 minutes of the show from that point onward.

Your main characters, Sora and Shiro, are akin to Light Yagami from Death Note or Lelouch Vi Britannia from Code Geass, in terms of their level of intelligence. There is one core difference though; these characters are smarter in every way, especially together. And unlike the rival relationships we saw between "smarties" in those 2 aforementioned anime, in NGNL, your main characters are both intelligent and work together off each-others faults, which makes for exciting dialogue. The show also flows very well. "Smarty" explanations do not feel out of place, or plot reliant, even if they are the latter.

The key to this show is the viewer wanting to know just how Sora and Shiro will approach their next enemy, or if it is even possible for them to lose. Even in a show all about the main characters "never losing" you cannot help but feel there are times where you wonder if they will lose, or are just curious about just how far ahead did the main characters think in order to win? This one is all about the journey.

The pop culture references are strong with this one...Detective Conan, Evangelion, Phoenix Wright, Civilization V, Studio Ghibli....they got it. And the best part is that it is VERY subtle, meaning if you don't catch the reference you simply won't know it even happened, and you will just attribute it to the zaniness the show has. Humor is well done 90% of the time; a mix of well timed visual gags, word play, and misdirection. Your supporting cast has strong personalities and are charming as well...as well as um....erm....that brings me to the only problems with the show so far; the entire supporting cast is female, "adult stuff" is a topic in at least 3 humor related moments per episode, and as expected of an anime your typical fanservice is up the wazoo, and in somewhat questionable ways. The show has a harem building element to it that makes certain aspects less enjoyable, and there is a somewhat self aware "lolicest" aspect with Sora and Shiro. Sora is also your only male character, and was an Otaku prior to entering this new world, so some humor based off that loses a bit of value here and there. Did I mention that Shiro is introduced a la panty shot? And I did mention she is 11? Panty shot; 11 years old. Good thing this is a fictional world, otherwise this would be some rather objectionable stuff here...but this is anime after all, not reality. Believe it or not, it does get better being that it is a somewhat self aware thing; Sora and Shiro themselves have no interests in eachother sexually, but the writers do play with the audience a bit with fanservice and character moments.

I can find numerous reasons to recommend this brief, 12 episode show. While it does have its noticeable flaws (in the shapes of panties and boobs) it does not detract from the show's charm overall. And if you can put up with it, ignore it, or except it, you should be in for an enjoyable ride.

I marathoned the series yesterday for 6 episodes and today for the remaining 6. Very easy show to watch, and again, enjoyable. If this tells you anything, I liked it enough that I hope we get a season 2 sooner or later. Because it definitely needs one and deserves one.

So, any one else watch the series? I hear it was based on a series of Light Novels of the same name. Feel free to discuss away, post your own reviews, responses, opinions, etc. Grin
Oh hey! I haven't seen this series, but was meaning to watch it! Your post totally reminded me of it, hah.

I'll be here tomorrow when I've finished the show to state opinions.

BTW, love how the OP looks. <3
Ya the OP is catchy XD Gotta add that one to my list of favorites, which after this year, is almost doubled from what it once was.
I better check this out it looks pretty cool.

P.S Shiro looks cute Joyful_3
Okay, seriously, let me say I have never been hooked to an Anime since like 10 months! This was my genre. I loved this show. In fact, it's actually hard for me to put into words. This is definitely one of the best I have seen throughout 2014-no its the best I've seen and has earned the 1# spot for now.

Considering the ending of No Game No Life, we are bound to get a 2nd season.
We might not sadly. Nothing has been announced and Madhouse does this FREQUENTLY Unhappy

This will likely remain a one season show to advertise the light novel, which is absolutely butts.
(Aug. 19, 2014  7:53 PM)LeonTempest Wrote: We might not sadly. Nothing has been announced and Madhouse does this FREQUENTLY Unhappy

This will likely remain a one season show to advertise the light novel, which is absolutely butts.

Oh damn! I was not going to read the light novel as I thought we might of got a season two, but I guess we won't then. Unhappy

Ah... I feel a piece of my heart missing.
Just started this anime today and its awesome! I like the art and the plot. I'm only about have way through it at the moment, but I can probably finish it tomorrow. This series is so exciting I love this type of anime!
Is it just me?or is this the most colorful anime ever?

Anyways just started watching this anime last week and I'm on episode 7.

I can't believe I only watched this last week XD the opening is catchy (I listened to it all day) and the story and art are overall amazing.
Kaneki's
No Game No Life Review:

Make no mistake, No Game No Life was built to be a blockbuster. Madhouse adapting one of those wildly successful ‘gaming-becomes-reality’ light novel series made sense considering their generally poor commercial performance as of late. And No Game No Life, a blitzkrieg of dastardly clever action and outrageous gags, as unsettling as it is original, certain delivers a blockbuster, but not without significant flaws.

The anime centers around Sora and Shiro: brother and sister, two certain victors in an absurdist world, whose ambitions and exploits, leave impressive opponents - and subsequently, you, the viewer - confounded and amazed at the same damn time. The elder brother and de-facto protagonist is Sora, is an unflappable badass carp and a perceptive daredevil of a schemer, prone to dramatic outbursts and a notorious pervert with a penchant for almost every hentai fetish in the book. The sister is your typical white-haired loli genius whose fanbase began to explode even before she was introduced with a casual panty shot. Within the first episode, the pair of gaming prodigies is teleported to a world where there are sixteen sentient races and only ten rules.

Within the fourth episode, they are the rulers of Elkia, the last kingdom of Imanity, the human race. No Game No Life hits the ground running and doesn’t let up for a second. The plot development resembles the progression of an RPG: minor games precede major ones with interludes in between. Nearly all of the season’ 276 minutes can be categorized as plotting, games, or breaks in action - which generally involve harassing Steph or all the females taking baths while Sora sits back on the partition. Hilarity ensues and the jokes border on hilarious for more seasoned otaku and uncomfortable for almost everyone else.

No Game No Life’s framework makes it easy to overstate the otaku escapism and gratification and downplay the consistent insanity of the action. There is a certain poetic justice that the anime portrays about how NEETs, who Japanese society would deem losers regardless of their gaming talent, become monarchs and harem ringleaders. It’s an underdog story in disguise; albeit all Sora does is win. He could use an equally insane and badass antagonist to bring out the best in him. The constant victory begins to dulls the suspense towards the point where the results become anticlimactic, bordering on deus ex machina. The highlight of the season is the sudden Shiratori game with Jibril, where the game was hung in the balance for a long carp time, the intensity and cleverness of each response ratcheting up to another level. It would be ingenuous to not expect gaps of logic and sizable plot holes, but none of them are particularly questionable or bothersome enough to reduce the quality. Additionally, the oversexualization and fanservice is responsible for some of the funniest moments of the season and serves to enhance the over-the-top, volatile vibe of the show along with the clever allusions.

The breaks in characterization and gags can get sloppy – take Jibril for example, a deserved fan favorite who shifts between (literally) drooling over the prospect of gaining precious knowledge to reminiscing about the days where she could indulge in her psychopathic tendencies of slaughtering anyone in her way. Random behavior dismissed with the notion that every character acts with is inherent spontaneity instead of possessing a fluid train of thought, by virtue of No Game No Life abandoning exposition for shock value, and depth for edge.

Indeed, the substance of No Game No Life is its style. The balance is extreme, but not much of a departure from Imaishi and Masaaki-directed works. What makes No Game No Life is different is how specific it is, how every stratagem is explained and everything happens for a reason. Which is why for No Game No Life to truly connect on an emotional level, it has to specifically dedicate time towards making the viewer care about the characters and Elkia. It fails in this regard. Steph is seemingly the most prominent contributor to this, because she is the most familiar and the easiest character to relate to. Her sobbing about her grandfather, the disgraced former king of who gambled his land away in hopes of future prosperity, is sappy at best. Her back-and-forth of whether to trust Sora as a leader or not was painfully underdeveloped. ‘Underdeveloped’ is a word that could describe nearly every backstory throughout the first twelve episodes, from Sora and Shiro’s first meeting and their supposed anthropophobia to Izuna’s inner struggle about her sense of duty to Kurami and Fiel’s bond. We’re pointlessly left in the dark about relationships, individual vulnerabilities, and motivations. As a result, there’s a lot that still doesn’t make sense and these mysteries are ones that would be better left solved.

Invariably, No Game No Life is one of the best looking anime of 2014 thus far. Madhouse’s high-contrast neon color palette and quirky artwork are fitting for the eccentric virtual world that Sora and Shiro find themselves in. The music itself isn’t a highlight, but it’s solid throughout especially during the intense games. On the other hand, Konomi Suzuki’s opening, This Game, with twinkling pianos and soaring vocals is irrepressibly great.

It’s undeniable that No Game No Life has incredible scope and potential. Sora and Shiro are bent on challenging god, and you have every reason to believe they will. With more three more volumes to adapt, things can only get bigger, but that doesn’t mean they’ll necessarily get better. There isn’t much margin for error in the execution. A common opinion is that the season peaked at episode six, the shiratori match with Jibril. It’s disappointing that by the twelfth episode, the novelty has already begun wearing off.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

+'s

- The story always seems to be moving forwards and never seems to slow down always introducing new and interesting characters to meet.

- The art style is beautiful, the world in general is extremely bright and colourful and everything is outline with more of a red tone than most anime's, this helps to differentiate its style from the crowd and really makes it a pleasure to view.

- The characters are all interesting and I always found myself wanting to learn more about them and their origins.

- The relationship between Sora and Shiro is great.

-' s

- The relationship between Sora and Shiro might turn off some viewers.

- The 'Blank Never Loses' dynamic is interesting in some areas but it does get rid of some of the tension from certain battles.

- The series ends on an extreme cliffhanger

- Sound was nothing special.

I would recommend No Game Life to most people if only because it is extremely short at this stage, it won't take you long to power through the 12 episodes, however if you don't like cliffhangers you should definitely hold off on watching No Game No Life.
I wonder what happened to Izuna in the end of episode 11...Could it be a war beast's sixth sense? Tongue_out