Music- so... can you tune?

Can you tell if something is off pitch? Can you tune any instrument?

Does a dissonance really get on your nerves?

DISCUSS =D
Composer of Requiems Wrote:Can you tell if something is off pitch? Can you tune any instrument?

Does a dissonance really get on your nerves?

DISCUSS =D

Well, we both know I can't tune worth carp, but I can tell when something is off.
The classical fan in me wishes I was perfect pitch, but I am not.

However, playing an instrument for ten years, yeah I can tell most of the time lol.
Do you have this problem when you can tell if your instrument is off tune, but can't tell it for other instruments?
I can tune bass and guitar by ear and tell when they are off pitch. I've never really tried anything else.
I can tune my trumpet by ear no problem.

But it's a little more difficult for me when it comes to other instruments as I haven't played them as long as I have my trumpet.

8 years babeh. <3
Composer of Requiems Wrote:Do you have this problem when you can tell if your instrument is off tune, but can't tell it for other instruments?

I can tell if most are off tune.

I can't tune string instruments though, lol.
Have you seen this kids kingdom hearts cards!? their amazing!
I find it hard to tune something perfectly. I usually touch up my instrument whenever needed, but go with the digital tuner before I do any sort of show or performance.
SexyMichael Wrote:I can tune bass and guitar by ear and tell when they are off pitch. I've never really tried anything else.

With or without amplifiers?
Composer of Requiems Wrote:
SexyMichael Wrote:I can tune bass and guitar by ear and tell when they are off pitch. I've never really tried anything else.

With or without amplifiers?

Without.
I was able to tell my buddy his electric guitar was out of tune and even the string that was loose. He had no idea and when he checked himself (methodically going through each one) He found out I was right. I have a stupid question. Can Drums (I don't really care what type) Ever go out of tune?
Ozuma Wrote:I was able to tell my buddy his electric guitar was out of tune and even the string that was loose. He had no idea and when he checked himself (methodically going through each one) He found out I was right. I have a stupid question. Can Drums (I don't really care what type) Ever go out of tune?

Not really out of tune, per se, but their sound can be effected by how tight or loose the drum heads are.

There's no real tuning standard for drums though. It mostly comes down to personal preference. I prefer tighter heads for a louder, brighter, snappier sound.
I'm developing a sense of tuning.
i can tell if a guitar is out of tune..
but i can't really just pick up a guitar and say, tune it to drop C when all the strings are out of tune unless I did a lot of guess and check
it will come over time.
ЯOAN Wrote:
Ozuma Wrote:I was able to tell my buddy his electric guitar was out of tune and even the string that was loose. He had no idea and when he checked himself (methodically going through each one) He found out I was right. I have a stupid question. Can Drums (I don't really care what type) Ever go out of tune?

Not really out of tune, per se, but their sound can be effected by how tight or loose the drum heads are.

There's no real tuning standard for drums though. It mostly comes down to personal preference. I prefer tighter heads for a louder, brighter, snappier sound.

But if you tighten and tighten the sound just dies away =/ I'm assuming you mean before that critical point?

And, yeah, for drums, out of tune usually means when it's not at the pitch you want and the head should be evenly tensioned all around. So if one side is tighter than the other, then it's considered out of tune.

If you're talking about pitched drums, like timpani and so on, then it can very easily go out of tune.

Guitar_Legend Wrote:I'm developing a sense of tuning.
but i can't really just pick up a guitar and say, tune it to drop C when all the strings are out of tune unless I did a lot of guess and check
it will come over time.

Unless you're given one of the notes, no?
Composer of Requiems Wrote:
ЯOAN Wrote:

But if you tighten and tighten the sound just dies away =/ I'm assuming you mean before that critical point?

And, yeah, for drums, out of tune usually means when it's not at the pitch you want and the head should be evenly tensioned all around. So if one side is tighter than the other, then it's considered out of tune.

If you're talking about pitched drums, like timpani and so on, then it can very easily go out of tune.

Guitar_Legend Wrote:I'm developing a sense of tuning.
it will come over time.

Unless you're given one of the notes, no?

Yeah, that's what I meant. Smile