Layer - Spriggan

Quote:'''Weight: 7.7 grams'''

Spriggan features three prominent bumps on each side of it, two of them getting their shape from the double claw-like design created by the colored plastic underneath the transparent casing. This means that its weight is mostly focused in the center and in a sort of pendulum with two arms spread out, generating some flywheel effect. However, its overall weight is among the lowest in all Layers, below the average of 8.0 grams.

The teeth underneath its core are in ascending order, the third one being the tallest, with a very small fourth tooth at the end. This implies that the harder it gets hit, the harder it is to burst, unless the third tooth is forcibly skipped over.

This Layer is a "jack of all trades, master of none": while it isn't top-tier in any format and was always second to Valkyrie upon release, it delivers surprisingly strong hits against combinations that are usually solid. It can be effective whether it is mobile on Accel, or mostly stationary in the middle of the stadium like on Defense or Survive. However, its use is risky and fades away in comparison to more reliable top-tier customizations. In other words, while it has its lucky moments, Spriggan is unable to deliver a consistent performance, unlike Layers that are much more aggressive like Valkyrie, Amaterios and Xcalibur.

===Overall===
While Spriggan is able to produce powerful hits on rare occasions, it is outclassed both by the [[Layer - Xcalibur|Xcalibur Layer]] and the far more versatile [[Layer - Valkyrie|Valkyrie Layer]] in Attack-type combinations even when paired with the top-tier [[Driver - Xtreme|Xtreme Driver]], and has shown no potential in other types of combinations. Because of this, Spriggan isn't a priority to purchase.

Let me know if any of this is wrong or if you have any improvements to suggest.
looks good but the line
It can be efficient whether it is mobile on Accel, or mostly stationary in the middle of the stadium like on Defense or Survive.
seems a little weird in its phrasing.
t can be efficient whether it is mobile while paired with Accel, or mostly stationary in the middle of the stadium as coupled with Defense or Survive.
is how i would phrase it
Hm, I can see how it poses problem, but "as coupled" also sounds weird as an alternative hah.
Do we actually have concrete proof that SHD or something like that is even good? That one tournament win seemed like a fluke to me.
Something similar did burst my Odin Heavy Defense three times out of three during a BeyBattle at the previous Montréal tournament, but it seemed very lucky more than anything. But that is what Spriggan is all about right now, so it definitely needs to be mentioned.
I feel we still have yet to see stationary Spriggan in tournaments and in official testings. That's probably what we should have before we include anything in an article. I know Thunder Dome has had the same success with SHD, but I don't feel that's enough.

Quote:while it isn't top-tier in any format and was always second to Valkyrie upon release

Upon release and at Beyblade Bursts Onto the Scene: Toronto, Spriggan Accel combos had plenty of use, as did Valkyrie Accel combos. I'm not sure we could really say this.
It had use but was it really exactly on-par with Valkyrie ? I experienced the contrary.

As for immobile Spriggan, I think it was really seen enough times in tournaments. In any case, the conclusion of this article is that it is just a decent alternative, so we are not actually suggesting combinations to use it in, just what areas it had potential in.
In my testings with Xtreme, Valkyrie (even a fairly worn one) blew a mint Spriggan out of the water. Valkyrie, simply put, hits so much harder.
It "blew it" as in you tested them against each other, or you compared their test results against Defense types ?
Compared against Defense types.
IMO the thinking that Spriggan was on-par with Valkyrie — let alone any better than it — was always mistaken. (Not pointing fingers, because I used SHA in Bursts Onto the Scene.)
(Feb. 03, 2016  10:34 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
Quote:Spriggan features three prominent bumps on each side of it, two of them getting their shape from the double claw-like design created by the colored plastic underneath the transparent casing. This means that its weight is mostly focused in the center and in a sort of pendulum with two arms spread out, generating some flywheel effect. However, its overall weight is among the lowest, below the average of 8.0 grams.

The teeth underneath its core are in ascending order, the third one being the tallest, with a very small fourth tooth at the end. This implies that the harder it gets hit, the harder it is to burst, unless the third tooth is forcibly skipped over.

This Layer is a jack-of-all-trades: while it isn't top-tier in any format and was always second to Valkyrie upon release, it delivers surprisingly strong hits against combinations that are usually solid. It can be efficient whether it is mobile on Accel, or mostly stationary in the middle of the stadium like on Defense or Survive. However, its use is risky and fades away in comparison to more reliable top-tier customizations. In other words, while it has its lucky moments, Spriggan is unable to deliver a consistent performance, unlike Layers that are much more aggressive like Valkyrie, Amaterios and Xcalibur.

Let me know if any of this is wrong or if you have any improvements to suggest.

Yeah stationary spriggan combos seem like a worst version of VHS, less sustain. I don't think we should mention the average weight, perhaps just say "due to it being fairly light weight" or something, I assume that will be outdated soon as seen in MFB. I'd like articles about outclassed parts to be a be vague, but gets the point across that it had its moments but isn't very competitive. Using phrase that compare it to "It's meta period" or time. instead of specific parts which will inevitably be outclassed. So constant updating won't be needed, or atleast not redoing whole parts. I saw a very outdated article on a Metal Fight beyblade praising it's competitiveness, that made me think of this. I believe the wheel was Earth. Take my suggestion like a grain of salt though, if I am not pro enough, heh.

Good work though, Kai-V
What is Spriggan's layer weight precisely?
Ah right, 7.7 grams hah. I will go add it to the first post. Wyvern is the lightest at around 7.3.

DRAGON KING EX, I think we cannot really avoid having to update some articles in the future, no matter what hah. However, we should be extra lucky in this case : with the move to Dual Layers, we will probably not see many more Layers in the future, so the average weight for Layers will remain true. In any case, it will probably become completely useless in a year anyway, so at that moment we will be forced to revamp the entire article. But we cannot wait until then, since technically these articles are months late ...
So you do not thie the term Layer will not stay for releases in future? Hybrid System Wheels are still called metal wheels, the Metal Fight beyblades just have Clear Wheels. Same with ARs and ARs with Sub ARs.

Also, some of the phrases in he overall sound odd. Maybe replace "efficient" with "effective". Referring to it as a jack of all trades sound incomplete, using the whole phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none." . I know the first is most widely used, but in that particular sentence I think the full thing sounds better.
Well yes, but if you talk about a Wheel and how it is not great compared to other Wheels, then you are refering to every metallic piece released before BB-28. It would be wrong to think that it includes Metal Wheels too, since they are not called Wheels specifically. In any case, as I mentioned, we need to say something about now that we know is true, because who knows if Dual Layers will even be much heavier than Layers ?

I made both changes as you suggested and oops, I had actually forgotten to write a proper conclusion section hah. I was concentrating on the text that will appear in every Spriggan-related article. You can see it in the first post now.
I swear I commented on this, but if I didn't:

I actually had no idea Xcalibur was better than Spriggan, I honestly thought it'd be useless.
Well so did I, I was preparing to write a draft about it being useless, but apparently it actually has a lot more than just potential on Xtreme, despite all of my personal tests hah.
(Feb. 05, 2016  1:33 AM)Kai-V Wrote: Well so did I, I was preparing to write a draft about it being useless, but apparently it actually has a lot more than just potential on Xtreme, despite all of my personal tests hah.

I've always wanted to test Xcalibur on Accel, Blow or Zephyr, no idea why.

Well the draft seems to be good so far!
OK, last call before this gets published ? Any objections still ?
Quote:===Overall===
Even though Spriggan is able to produce powerful hits on seldom occasions, it is outclassed by a few Layers for Attack and has no potential in other types of combinations. As such, this Layer is a good substitute but isn't a priority to purchase.

In terms of this section, I think the paragraph would sound a lot nicer if we actually listed the Layers that Spriggan is outclassed by. On Xtreme, easily the best Driver for Attack right now, it hasn't been proven that it's better than such Layers.

Here's my edit:

Even though Spriggan is able to produce powerful hits on seldom occasions, it is outclassed by the Xcalibur Layer, and its ''one-up'', the far more versatile Valkyrie Layer, Attack-wise, and has no potential in other types of combinations. Paired with the Xtreme Driver, it has not been proven to be better than these two Layers. Because of this, Spriggan isn't a priority to purchase.
I am not sure that "one-up" is the best expression out there even with the guillemets hah. But for the rest, sure, I will make the changes.
"One-up" is a little iffy in an informative piece like this. The rest works perfectly fine, but could do with a slight re-write in places to make things more simplistic:

While Spriggan is able to produce powerful hits on rare occasions, it is outclassed by both the [[Layer - Xcalibur|Xcalibur Layer]] and the far more versatile [[Layer - Valkyrie|Valkyrie Layer]] in Attack-type combinations, and has shown no potential in other types of combinations. Even when paired with the top-tier [[Driver - Xtreme|Xtreme Driver]], Spriggan continues to be outclassed by both Valkyrie and Xcalibur. Because of this, Spriggan isn't a priority to purchase.

I'm not sure the sentence about the Xtreme Driver is necessary either. It's already stated that Valkyrie and Xcalibur outclass Spriggan, so the statement regarding Xtreme becomes slightly repetitive and redundant. If you feel it's better to keep the sentence in, go ahead, but it's not something I would say is required, haha.

Other than that, this draft has shaped up nicely and I'd say it's ready to be published. Good work guys! Grin
I edited the first post with a slightly modified version. Basically I just took the "even when paired with the top-tier Xtreme Driver" part and added it in the second sentence, and the third sentence was not required anymore.
http://beyblade.wikia.com/wiki/Layer_-_Spriggan

Cool, this is now published on Beyblade Wiki. If you have some objections to the content of this article, go ahead and post them here in this topic.

Thank you to all the people who helped shape this up.