Hunter X Hunter- 1999 and 2011 Discussion

A Brief Summary Of This Thread:

I decided to make a thread on an anime/manga called Hunter X Hunter. A 2011 remake of the anime is currently being aired, this thread could be used to discuss both the 1999 version and the 2011 remake, the manga as well. You can compare the two versions but no spamming or arguing.
My Opinion:

Hunter X Hunter in my opinion is a very interesting series, I have only recently started watching it but I can tell that I will keep enjoying it, being a fan of Shounen Anime.

Information:

Hunter × Hunter (ハンター×ハンター Hantā Hantā?), is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Yoshihiro Togashi. The story focuses on a young boy named Gon, who discovers that his father, whom he was told was dead, is actually alive and well. He learns that his father, Ging, is a world-renowned Hunter: a licensed profession for those who specialize in fantastic pursuits such as locating rare or unidentified animal species, treasure hunting, surveying unexplored enclaves, or hunting down lawless individuals. Despite Ging having left his son with his relatives in order to pursue his own dreams, Gon departs upon a journey to follow in his father's footsteps, pass the rigorous Hunter Examination, and eventually find his father. Along the way, Gon meets various other kinds of Hunters and also encounters the paranormal. The original inspiration for the manga came from Togashi's own collecting hobby.
Hunter × Hunter began its manga serialization on March 3, 1998 in the Shueisha magazine Weekly Shōnen Jump. As of April 2012, 320 chapters have been published in 30 tankōbon (chapter collections) in Japan. However, the manga has frequently gone on hiatus since 2006. Hunter × Hunter was translated into English and released in North America by Viz Media beginning in April 2005. In 1999, the manga series was adapted into a 62-episode television anime series produced by Nippon Animation and directed by Kazuhiro Furuhashi. The anime premiered on Japan's Fuji TV and Animax. Three separate original video animations (OVAs) totaling 30 episodes were subsequently produced by Nippon Animation and released in Japan from 2002 to 2004. The television series has been licensed and released in North America by Viz, and it aired on the Funimation Channel starting in 2009. A second anime television series by Madhouse began airing on Nippon Television in October 2011. An upcoming anime film adaptation, featuring an original story, was announced in March 2012.[1] There are also numerous audio albums, video games, musicals, and other media based on Hunter × Hunter.
The Hunter × Hunter manga has been a financial success in Japan, having sold over 55 million copies there as of August 2011. Popularity and viewer recognition of the anime series have proven much more modest. Critics of both the manga and its television adaptation have praised it as having a complex plot, endearing characters, and superb art and animation. However, reviewers disagreed on the quality of the anime's music and sound.
*Credit To Wikipedia*
I was introduced to this show through Funimation channel, although briefly. I am very impressed with it, and I hope one day I will start to watch more of it, when I get more time
I've been watching this anime before the 2011 adaptation came out, and I also read the manga. Even though I despise Manga, I read it because it carried past where the anime left off. I don't like the manga however, and I definitely preferred the anime. The Greed Island OVA series were definitely my favourite part of the series outside of Heaven's Arena and the Spiders Arc.
I just started it, with the 2011 version. Once I'm caught up, I'll watch the original while I wait for new episodes, and I plan on starting the manga soon.
I started out with the manga. To be honest, since the series has been on a long hiatus, I dont really remember the fine details about the story. I've heard that some fans who were more into the series (HxH) drop the 2011 version saying that the story line has changed.

But it looks similar to what I remember to me at least o_o. Nothing plot breaking yet.
I have seen the manga in stores, but that's it. I thought it was strange, but I guess I could check it out again.
Wow..I posted in this one before Grin

Anyway, I have been marathoning the series for the past 2 weeks. So happy I did. The show has flaws, but has a very large entertainment factor and likable main characters.

So I am up to the Chimera-Ant arc....What the hell is happening with all this murder????

I wouldn't really call this a shift in tone, as the show barley even cares when minor characters die (thats the Hunter exam for ya), but the Chimera Ant arcs takes things way too far sometimes.....and....I love it. So maybe it's more appropriate to call this an intensification of the tone?

TL;DR dudes get eaten, people get bloody murdered. Grand ol' time.