Help us choose a new name for "Faces"!

Poll: How should we rename our "Faces" rewards? Please read the full first post before!

Pins
4.76%
Badges
40.48%
Bits
33.33%
Medals
7.14%
Others
14.29%
Total: 100% 42 vote(s)
I like the word token. Perridot token gold token... It just sounds right

The more i here the word token as a replacement the more i like it.
Oh yeah, I read this thread About A Week Ago and forgot all about it for some reason, haha.

My vote goes to "badges", basically for the same reasons cosmicstriker stated earlier - badge captures the essence of what the collectible is, a small item 'worn' on the profile. And while some of the connotations of the word (as cosmicstriker also pointed out, scouts and Pokemon) imply that badges need to be given as some sort of award, this isn't necessarily the case. I've seen plenty of badges that have TV shows, bands, or just quotes on them.

The main reason I'm opposed to "bits" is because the point of renaming the faces to begin with was to use a term that can apply to all generations of Beyblade. The percentage of WBO users who don't know what a "bit" was in the context of Beyblade is probably considerably greater than those who do, since they had not grown up during the Plastic gen or were a part of the fanbase during that period.

EDIT: Not a huge fan of stickers tbh. Just something about the name seems kinda impermanent, like it's something that could easily be damaged or worn off (like what almost inevitably happens to Beyblade stickers) and it doesn't sit well with me for some reason.
(Nov. 20, 2016  3:10 AM)Jinbee Wrote: But if "Dragoon Face" wasn't a problem, why change it now?

Because right now there is a common understanding in the Beyblade community of what a "Face" is; in MFB, it's a small token with a Beyblade symbol on it that holds your Beyblade together. So it's easy for everyone to understand that a Face here is, too, a small token that has a Beyblade symbol on it.

But a new generation of bladers will soon be here with no understanding of what a "Face" is, and when writing text for the site and such, having to explain that you can collect Faces sounds downright bizarre. And there is no similar item in Burst for us to use — and even then, the goal should be to select something timeless so that we'll never have to worry about this again.

Bits is straight from the beginning of Beyblade's legacy, so there's no need to worry about it becoming irrelevant. And even if you don't know the origin, the term makes sense as soon as you see what a Bit looks like — it's tiny! Even next to an image of a Face as it exists now, the word "Face" doesn't make sense unless you understand its origins. That's why there's a difference between using Bits and Faces, even if both are based on Beyblade terms.

Badges will definitely solve the issue of misunderstandings — although think that "badge" connotes a level of accomplishment that Faces don't always designate, e.g. "Dragoon Badge" sounds like an award for doing something specific, because that's the baggage the term carries from Pokémon — but I think it would be sad for us to ignore the opportunity to do something that recognizes Beyblade's legacy and helps us carve our own identity rather than piggy-backing on Pokémon's ubiquitous terminology.
I like Decals! Sounds really good imo.
They don't really look like decals, though; they're 3-dimensional objects with gloss and beveled edges. They are also often just solid materials rather than an actual design (the Gold Face being the most obvious one). I would've gone with stickers over decals just because I think more people would understand stickers, but I don't think Faces look enough like either for it to work.
(Nov. 20, 2016  3:24 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: They don't really look like decals, though; they're 3-dimensional objects with gloss and beveled edges. They are also often just solid materials rather than an actual design (the Gold Face being the most obvious one). I would've gone with stickers over decals just because I think more people would understand stickers, but I don't think Faces look enough like either for it to work.

Let me stop you and introduce you to a rare side of my girl knowledge: decals can totally be three-dimensional and gem-like.

[Image: 615545vsQxL.jpg]

In fact, the way our Faces are displayed in our profile is litterally like that.
Whatever's chosen, I'll be curious to see if it manages to stick, and whether there'll be enough new players or enough discipline in current members to make it stick. Generally, trying to replace a term that's already well established in everyday usage is hard to do.

In any case, it'll be a fun linguistics experiment.
(Nov. 20, 2016  3:37 AM)Nocto Wrote: Whatever's chosen, I'll be curious to see if it manages to stick, and whether there'll be enough new players or enough discipline in current members to make it stick. Generally, trying to replace a term that's already well established in everyday usage is hard to do.

In any case, it'll be a fun linguistics experiment.

We're preparing for the next five years or so; it's inevitable that new members will outnumber the existing active membership here today, even if none of our active members today leave. (Which would be lovely, but unrealistic!) It will be a while until it feels natural, though — the same goes for any big change.

I submit to your decal knowledge, Kai-V. m(_ _)m
I just thought of Tattoos lol just imagine Shirt Tattoo or Gold Tattoo.
(Nov. 12, 2016  10:24 PM)TrainiacJ Wrote: How about "Emblems"?

Technically it's an HMS specific term, but it can apply to any design, like the faces, stone faces, or the little letters on the burst layers and drivers. (example; Accel Emblem, Valkyrie Emblem, etc.)

(also off topic but i've been making little recreations of the layer and driver letters so if you want to use those in faces i can lend you those designs)

Emblems sounds great! Too bad it's not one of the options

It's pretty cool that we will have 3 generations of Beyblade here!
As someone who joined this community post-MFB era, I wanted to counter argue against "Bits" and "Faces" having the same problem from personal experience.

When I first joined the community, I had no idea what a "Face" or "Face Booster" was. It took me a long time to process, because nothing about the word "Faces" could give me an idea of what these icons were supposed to represent.

I IMMEDIATELY knew what a "Bit" was, though, even though I didn't watch the original anime as a kid. It's such a pervasive term in Beyblade lore from Beyblade's height in popular culture. I don't think it's fair to underestimate the ability for new, future users to understand what the word "Bit" signifies.

Looking at "Bit Booster" vs. "Badge Booster" was the deal-breaker for me on badges, besides the already mentioned potential misstep in choosing language already specific to the booming Pokemon franchise. It doesn't flow well or have a nice ring to it. I think we should set ourselves apart with a name that both rolls off the tongue and screams Beyblade to every member, especially during a worldwide launch of a new generation.
i voted for badges but i think i want to change to bit now Unhappy
I'm rather torn on all of this honestly.

In an ideal world for me, we would be using one catch-all term (such as Pins), and then using Bits, Faces and Emblems to denote the difference between the three series. Dragoon Bit? Sounds right. Pegasus Face? Accurate. Valkyrie Emblem? Close enough. Having this difference would also clear up confusion for if we create awards for beasts that appear in multiple series, such as Unicorn, Ifrit and Quetzalcoatl, which all appear in MFB and Burst.

It looks a little complicated, but it's the method I'd most like to see. However, if we're talking about having one collective term, Pins or Bits both work quite nicely. I really don't like Badges at all, haha.
(Nov. 20, 2016  8:30 PM)~Mana~ Wrote: I'm rather torn on all of this honestly.

In an ideal world for me, we would be using one catch-all term (such as Pins), and then using Bits, Faces and Emblems to denote the difference between the three series. Dragoon Bit? Sounds right. Pegasus Face? Accurate. Valkyrie Emblem? Close enough. Having this difference would also clear up confusion for if we create awards for beasts that appear in multiple series, such as Unicorn, Ifrit and Quetzalcoatl, which all appear in MFB and Burst.

It looks a little complicated, but it's the method I'd most like to see. However, if we're talking about having one collective term, Pins or Bits both work quite nicely. I really don't like Badges at all, haha.

I think consistency is more important than in-universe accuracy. While Faces/Bits/Badges/whatever are based on Beyblade's lore, they also have their own unique forms and functions within our community.

When I first named them Faces after setting the whole thing up in like 2 days by just copying a bunch of MFB faces onto hexagons in Photoshop and installing an awards plugin, I certainly didn't expect that seven years later we'd be in this situation ... haha. But we have big plans for their (near) future.
Actually now that I think about how we carved the old the faces to Hexagon, we might as well make every face/emblem/bit a circle... like a bit chip. It just seems simpler that way regardless of which I prefer.
(Nov. 20, 2016  8:42 PM)Jinbee Wrote: Actually now that I think about how we carved the old the faces to Hexagon, we might as well make every face/emblem/bit a circle... like a bit chip. It just seems simpler that way regardless of which I prefer.

I don't think that's necessary, and it would definitely disrupt the design of the older things. We can try new ideas without necessarily scrubbing our history!
Ya know, maybe symbols would be nice. I mean it's just a suggestion... Also badges sound like boyscout stuff, so I don't think that would be a very good name.
(Nov. 12, 2016  10:24 PM)TrainiacJ Wrote: How about "Emblems"?

Technically it's an HMS specific term, but it can apply to any design, like the faces, stone faces, or the little letters on the burst layers and drivers. (example; Accel Emblem, Valkyrie Emblem, etc.)

(also off topic but i've been making little recreations of the layer and driver letters so if you want to use those in faces i can lend you those designs)

I like the sound of that, emblems or medals seems to fit best, in my opinion.
I wanted to communicate with everyone the team’s justification for renaming “Faces” to “Bits” even though it didn’t end up being the most popular option in this poll.

It was always important for us to be transparent with you guys about the fact that we weren’t looking to simply choose the top voted option in the poll. What we were looking for was feedback, and to read people’s arguments in favor of what they voted for. Your words heavily informed our decision in addition to your votes. Thank you all very much for taking the time to post your thoughts here!

“Badges,” the top voted option, did end up on our shortlist. We considered it strongly, but it didn’t make the cut both because of its inherent connection to the booming Pokémon franchise and its inability to work in every instance we needed it for (eg. “Badge Booster” sounds a whole lot clunkier than “Bit Booster.”).

“Bits,” we decided, fit better because it implies something small, digital, and collectible. It relates to Beyblade’s history in a way that nostalgic fans of Bakuten Shoot Beyblade would be likely to recognize. Even if a user is unfamiliar with the term, it still manages to describe our rewards quite well!

We hope everyone will embrace this name change and enjoy collecting “Bits” on the WBO, even if it wasn’t their top choice.