Energy Transfer

(Jul. 10, 2011  11:45 PM)♥ Wrote:
(Jul. 10, 2011  9:13 PM)ControL_ Wrote: You can reword any word I say, but I am laying down as exact as it gets. What you consider energy transfer covers huge amounts of different actions. Collision between particles is one, energy sharing is one, etc. If I am to lay down any facts, I will make them exact.

Yes I recognise rotational velocity, it is less commonly known, but will suit Beyblading more if you like. Spin velocity could be mistaken for an XF's speed travelling around the TR. I see there is a Beywiki article for it, but really, it is heavily made up. Beywiki isn't getting an elevated lexis if such terms as spin velocity exist.

There is nothing wrong with universal names for angular velocity/rotational velocity/RPM, why make something up?

I never mentioned energy transfer at all, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

You're right that the current Beywiki article on Spin Velocity isn't particularly convincing, and that certainly needs a rewrite.

I'm just explaining that the term "Spin Velocity" isn't completely wrong as you had suggested. I'm struggling to see how it could be mistaken for the Beyblade's movement as well, but I am all for pushing the term Rotational Velocity, because even if it means the same thing, Angular Velocity definitely isn't as clear as a term.
I am saying why I am using collision between particles over other phrases. It is a much more exact phrase.

Kai-V
It may have existed for 10 years, there still wasn't a reason for its' existence when it was first "created" however.
GUYS.

RPM or Rotational Speed.

SERIOUSLY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_per_minute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_speed

These are the correct terms for what we're discussing, and perfectly clear. :\

And no, "velocity" is completely inappropriate and incorrect in this situation. You're using the term for the next order of magnitude, which is completely incorrect. You could use Angular Velociyy, but that's hard for kids to grasp.

Speed of Rotation, or Spin Speed, or whatever, just keep Velocity the hell out of it.
No, we are using vector quantities here. Velocity means with a direction, and left/right gives the direction, which is incredibly important. Speed would be inappropriate being a scalar quantity. Therefore rotational speed would not make sense. Velocity is essential, the difference between speed and velocity is specific, it is why I am using velocity when spin directions come in play. Velocity is speed with the additional directional vector.
Fair call, I'm a little rusty, however, "Angular Velocity" is not really a well understood or even remotely intuitive term.
You can obviously have a direction while having a speed, it is just not noted, however obviously we do not need to be so strict on that here. We can bend the rules to a reasonable extent.

As has been said, despite being the correct term, we must remember that while we aim for a particular standard, we are not a scientific journal, and allowances must be made for the readership.
(Jul. 11, 2011  1:32 PM)th!nk Wrote: Fair call, I'm a little rusty, however, "Angular Velocity" is not really a well understood or even remotely intuitive term.
You can obviously have a direction while having a speed, it is just not noted, however obviously we do not need to be so strict on that here. We can bend the rules to a reasonable extent.

As has been said, despite being the correct term, we must remember that while we aim for a particular standard, we are not a scientific journal, and allowances must be made for the readership.
That is why velocity exists.

As said, rotational velocity is accepted. You really seem to be judging everyone as uneducated, velocity definitely isn't something tricky to understand at all. If someone does not know what a phrase means, forums are a place to learn.

What I have been going on and on about is one thing no one is picking up; this "scientific journal" is absolutely necessary to an extent, where the exact reasoning of why something happens occurs. The phrase "energy transfer" is vague, there are many more levels within that phrase. Angular is much more specific than rotational.

However, being exact is great, it should be kept in mind, but yes allowances can be made to an extent as well.
You do realise our audience are often in the range of 8-13 years old, right? These are kids we're talking to, and at least where I live, velocity isn't taught til High School (13+). Not that I know anything about psychology or learning or anything :\

Ugh, screw it, you know what, you can argue terminology as long as you wish, I was merely trying to offer a sensible, easily understood alternative. Give me a yell when the argument and article is done. :\
Maybe it's just me/going to a school that teaches physics early but, the ages I have seen, mostly the UK, definitely gives me the idea that ages isn't a problem, and everyone is willing to learn, especially when it comes to their favourite game.

I disagree with this game's audience. Especially in the UK, ages are significantly varied, I would think the average age is older than that capable of learning such terminology.
Brilliant, But I have knottiest that if you use a Dark wheel (Anything else with claws that face right).
It will always win, I ever tried it against my Basalt and it beat him by K.O! So maybe the Dark Wheels claws might cause this action or is it something else?
Velocity isn't the problem. That's a fairly easy term to understand. However, Angular in this context will make no sense to anyone who hasn't got an extensive knowledge of Physics over "Rotational". You can argue all you want that in the interests of scientific accuracy that should be written, and to a certain extent I agree, but no one will understand it. I don't think that's a huge generalisation to make either.

Although you might not like to admit it, Beyblade is a hobby marketed at the 8-13 age bracket; this is irrespective of whether older players adopt the game or not, and we absolutely do have to make sure it can be easily read. The solution here to appease all parties is possibly to add a caveat saying that the scientific term is "Angular Velocity", so that anyone who is interested can extend their research.
With that poll saying over 90% are over the age of 11. They are all capable of learning simple terminology.

<3, I have already said that rotational velocity is acceptable, what are you arguing for?

Even I fit into the 11-14 age group, if I know what velocity means, anyone in the age group can through reading.
Beywiki will be on the internet, I am confident more of the internet users are older, they will be the readers.
(Jul. 11, 2011  3:54 PM)ControL_ Wrote: With that poll saying over 90% are over the age of 11. They are all capable of learning simple terminology.

<3, I have already said that rotational velocity is acceptable, what are you arguing for?

Even I fit into the 11-14 age group, if I know what velocity means, anyone in the age group can through reading.
Beywiki will be on the internet, I am confident more of the internet users are older, they will be the readers.

Or you could also read the poll this way : the majority of our userbase is aged of fourteen years or less.

And no, even here, I started learning about physics because I actually took that that path in high school, unlike many others, and I was above fourteen years old then.
(Jul. 11, 2011  4:05 PM)Kai-V Wrote:
(Jul. 11, 2011  3:54 PM)ControL_ Wrote: With that poll saying over 90% are over the age of 11. They are all capable of learning simple terminology.

Or you could also read the poll this way : the majority of our userbase is aged of fourteen years or less.

And no, even here, I started learning about physics because I actually took that that path in high school, unlike many others, and I was above fourteen years old then.
The age group 11-14 is my area, beybladers I have met in this age group in person havn't struggled simple physics. As people take the pee in my school, in the first year it was known as "logic".

11-14 years of age is able to know what velocity means. Speed in a certain direction, that isn't difficult at all.
(Jul. 11, 2011  4:09 PM)ControL_ Wrote: The age group 11-14 is my area, beybladers I have met in this age group in person havn't struggled simple physics. As people take the pee in my school, in the first year it was known as "logic".

11-14 years of age is able to know what velocity means. Speed in a certain direction, that isn't difficult at all.

sorry that not everyone in the world have the money to go to schools that teach all of this at a earlier age (i haven't even heard of this kind of school before), many kids i know who are around 8-14 that go to public school will think that Angular Velocity means something like velocity at a __° angle, and the 8 year olds may not have studied angles yet or know what a velocity is

remember, not everyone is you :\

i find there is know problem with spin speed/velocity. it is simple to understand and means how fast the beyblade spins
The internet has all the information you need for free. (okay internet connection, but honestly..)
Take initiative and look things up when you're uncertain. I noticed in the past you've played the 'not everybody has money' card, which shouldn't really be brought up considering the resources you have in front of you.
(Jul. 11, 2011  5:23 PM)Dan Wrote: The internet has all the information you need for free. (okay internet connection, but honestly..)
Take initiative and look things up when you're uncertain.

i just went to do that

many of the words and equations used where hard for me to understand

think, could a eight year old really understand this http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html#rq without help from someone who could simplify it? especaily since they haven't done angles or even some algebra i guess (note: i went to other sites then just that one)
(Jul. 11, 2011  5:32 PM)lord Wolfblade Wrote:
(Jul. 11, 2011  5:23 PM)Dan Wrote: The internet has all the information you need for free. (okay internet connection, but honestly..)
Take initiative and look things up when you're uncertain.

i just went to do that

many of the words and equations used where hard for me to understand

think, could a eight year old really understand this http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html#rq without help from someone who could simplify it? especaily since they haven't done angles or even some algebra i guess
Good work, finding something that deliberately isn't aimed at the young.

I hope you can understand this, as it's straight forward:
Quote:it may be measured in other units such as degrees per second, revolutions per second, revolutions per minute, degrees per hour, etc. It is sometimes also called the rotational velocity and its magnitude the rotational speed, typically measured in cycles or rotations per unit time (e.g. revolutions per minute).
Taken from wikipedia. It was the first google result, in the first paragraph.
yes, so revolutions per minute/RPM

what is wrong with that? i find RPM easier to say and understand then angular velocity

since revolutions can be translated to spin and velocity can be loosely translated to speed then i do not find spin speed to be in any way incorrect (yes i do know that velocity is speed with a direction, so it isn't exactly speed)

but whatever, i am done
(Jul. 11, 2011  5:46 PM)lord Wolfblade Wrote: yes, so revolutions per minute/RPM

what is wrong with that? i find RPM easier to say and understand then angular velocity

since revolutions can be translated to spin and velocity can be loosely translated to speed then i do not find spin speed to be in any way incorrect (yes i do know that velocity is speed with a direction, so it isn't exactly speed)

but whatever, i am done
Try to read.

People keep blabbing on about angular velocity, I prefer it, but you don't have to go with it. As I mentioned multiple times, rotational velocity is evenly accepted, it's just less known in other situations. What I am against is spin velocity, but it seems rotational velocity has overcome that.

Velocity should not be loosely translated as speed in any way, you contradict yourself with "loosely translated to speed" and then "isn't exactly speed".
nice article! I watched this happen today very interesting with the left spinning beys...