Date A Live (デート・ア・ライブ Dēto A Raibu

===================================================
Date A Live (デート・ア・ライブ Dēto A Raibu) is a Japanese light novel series written by Kōshi Tachibana and illustrated by Tsunako. An anime adaptation series aired on TV from April 6 to June 22, 2013. Each episode was streamed in lower quality on Niconico a week before its TV premiere. Following the end of the first season, a second season was announced, titled Date A Live II, which began airing from April 11 to June 13, 2014. A theatrical film adaptation has been announced.

Plot:
Thirty years ago a strange phenomenon called a "spacequake" devastated the center of Eurasia, claiming the lives of at least 150 million people. Since then, smaller spacequakes plague the world on an irregular basis. Shido Itsuka, a seemingly ordinary high schooler comes across a mysterious girl at the ground zero of a spacequake and learns from his sister Kotori she is one of the "Spirits" who are the real cause of the spacequakes that occur when they manifest themselves in the world. He also learns that Kotori is the commander of the airship Fraxinus, crewed by the organization Ratatoskr, and is recruited to make use of his mysterious ability to seal the Spirits' powers thus stopping them from being a threat to mankind. However, there is a catch: to seal a Spirit's power, he must make her fall in love with him and kiss him.

Review:
Boobs, explosions and cute girls are a time-tested formula. Apparently.
If there is one that has remained true about the anime industry, it is that cheap entertainment and low-risk adaptations prevail. AIC's "Date A Live" is yet another addition to this tired trend- doing nothing interesting or even particularly well. It expects the audience to willfully ignore its poor writing, because hey-- there are cute girls to gawk at!

Drawing inspiration from the 2008 manga "Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai", Date A Live presents itself as a pseudo-parody of otaku culture. After our protagonist Shido conveniently encounters two busty ladies fighting one another, he finds himself waking in the headquarters of an anti-Spirit organization, which (surprise!) is led by his bipolar younger sister. Kirino-- sorry, Kotori, proposes her master plan to Shido: prevent the Spirits' destruction by making them fall in love with him. How is he meant to achieve this? By studying dating sims, of course.

Funnily enough, this ridiculous premise is actually one of Date A Live's few redeeming points. It is self-aware and (usually) does not attempt to be anything more than silly fun. Some of the best moments are when Shido attempts to swoon the girls with cliched eroge lines, only to be met by awkward silence and/or violent threats. It is a show that prides itself in absurdity. Mostly. At other times it is just woefully stupid.

And that is the problem. Date A Live, in all of its wisdom, also tries to push a semi-serious 'plot' amidst its comedy. A plot so riddled with lazy writing and insufferable cliches that the anime becomes the very thing that is parodying. Transfer students, toast-in-mouth, and the beloved walk-in-on-clearly-occupied-bathroom cliche? Check. Girls falling in love with Shido for no conceivable reason except to increase the size of his harem? You bet. Deus ex machina? The third episode contains two within minutes of each other. There is even a scene in the anime where the Anti-Spirit Team-- which for some inexplicable reason is comprised entirely of busty, half-naked high school girls-- gets tentacle raped by ramen. Yes, ramen. Full stop. I will leave that to your consideration.

Shido himself does not do the writing any favors. If there is a problem, he will preach it away- almost always with a few jejune words about self-sacrifice or how his victim simply isn't happy enough. If he is hurt, he will be magically healed through some convenient plot device. He doesn't need to fight or do anything remotely intelligent, because why the hell would he? He has plot armor to save the day. Date A Live is not concerned about petty notions such as 'sense'.

Writing aside, you will indubitably gain some enjoyment from the 'cute girls' appeal. And cute they are. Tsunako's character designs (most easily recognized through her work on the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise) adds a level of appeal uncommon to most harem anime. Kurumi's design, for example, is one of the most attractive in anime or manga- no hyperbole intended. Their personalities are also equally adorable (though often limited to archetypes) with characters like Tohka frequently finding ways to get your heart racing. If Date A Live were to be judged solely by the cuteness of its female cast, it would be a work of art. But it is not.

It shouldn't come as much of a surprise given the designs, but Date A Live's artwork is for the most part high-quality. Characters are rendered in a consistent manner and the colorful art design tends to make up for any imperfections that the animation occasionally has. It is certainly a step down from the original light novel illustrations, though.

The sound also does not disappoint. It's almost a little saddening, even, knowing that such quality was expended on a show of this caliber. The background tracks are excellent, as is the cast of seiyuu (who do a skillful job of delivering personality to each girl) while even the catchy opening and ending sequences manage to stand out. It should be noted though that the ending sequences are supremely lazy from an animation standpoint, usually containing a single image that is panned over continuously until the song ends. Surely more effort could have been put there.

All in all, Date A Live is an absolute mess of a story-- but a disturbingly entertaining one. It is something to be watched-- maybe enjoyed-- and then immediately forgotten (assuming the writing does not give you an aneurysm). It represents precisely why an anime cannot survive on cuteness alone. Tohka does come close to saving the show, though. Almost.

If you are the kind of viewer that cares not for critical quality, then perhaps the girls will be enough to keep you entertained. For everybody else, and especially those already revolted by the harem genre, make sure to keep a few bandages handy. You might need them after hitting your head against the wall.
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:32 PM)Shido-kun Wrote: I can't wait for the movie...
I can. I could wait an eternity.
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:35 PM)Makashima Wrote:

Your not gonna watch it,are you? Tongue_out
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:44 PM)Shido-kun Wrote:
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:35 PM)Makashima Wrote:

Probably not. Have you seen Date A Live: Encore OVA?
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:49 PM)Makashima Wrote:
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:44 PM)Shido-kun Wrote:
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:35 PM)Makashima Wrote: I can. I could wait an eternity.

Nope,Haven't seen the OVAs TBH (I'm sure Midnight hasn't either)
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:53 PM)Shido-kun Wrote:
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:49 PM)Makashima Wrote:
(Dec. 27, 2014  1:44 PM)Shido-kun Wrote: Your not gonna watch it,are you? Tongue_out

Nope,Haven't seen the OVAs TBH (I'm sure Midnight hasn't either)
I'd say if you're a fan of the show, definitely check them out.

I suppose they are "decent". Still not that fond of Date A Live.
I watched it just last week, actually. Smile
(Dec. 27, 2014  2:20 PM)Shido Wrote: I watched it just last week, actually. Smile

What did you think of them? In a critic view ...
Do you guys think shido itsuka can achieve emiya shirous ideals
(May. 05, 2016  9:50 AM)Arceid Wrote: Do you guys think shido itsuka can achieve emiya shirous ideals

What causes Shirou to turn away from his ideals is the realization that following his dream will require him to murder the people he loves, and unlike the DAL series there is no way to Date this problem away. This is one of the driving messages of FSN -- it is not possible to save all people from all things. Tachibana ignores this and sets Shido up by throwing softball problems at him that he can easily deal with, whether it's The Spirits,DEM or the unsealable(anyone else) Kurumi.

When Shido is faced with a situation in which there is no way to save one person but to murder another person, then come and talk to me about how he can achieve Shirou's ideals. Protip: he can't.
(May. 05, 2016  9:59 AM)Shido-kun Wrote:
(May. 05, 2016  9:50 AM)Arceid Wrote: Do you guys think shido itsuka can achieve emiya shirous ideals

What causes Shirou to turn away from his ideals is the realization that following his dream will require him to murder the people he loves, and unlike the DAL series there is no way to Date this problem away. This is one of the driving messages of FSN -- it is not possible to save all people from all things. Tachibana ignores this and sets Shido up by throwing softball problems at him that he can easily deal with, whether it's The Spirits,DEM or the unsealable(anyone else) Kurumi.

When Shido is faced with a situation in which there is no way to save one person but to murder another person, then come and talk to me about how he can achieve Shirou's ideals. Protip: he can't.

shido has a lot of determinayion tho
(May. 05, 2016  10:01 AM)Arceid Wrote:
(May. 05, 2016  9:59 AM)Shido-kun Wrote:

shido has a lot of determinayion tho

All the determination in the world doesn't change the problems Shirou deals with.

Sakura is killing people against her will. Shirou's ideals demand that she be killed to prevent future deaths. Trying to stop and save her creates room for her to go out and murder more people -- any course of action that tries to save her results in Shirou prioritizing one person's life over the lives of many other people.

The only way to follow Shirou's ideal is to murder his best friend/love interest as soon as possible. If he doesn't do this he betrays his ideals. There is no third option.