Comic Books?

I've really come into thinking that manga comes in second to Western comics. Maybe I'm just tired of manga and anime, but the repetative character archetypes, kids with amazing hidden abilities, and drawn out confrontations have made me tired of it. But its all relative, i suppose some of those critizisms can go both ways.

Many superheros and their alter egos just have better characterization to me, but I think thats in part because they have a long history behind them.
Watchmen stands for everything that I like about american comics, and I think maybe only Akira goes toe to toe with it but i haven't read it because its so massive.

ANYWAY, just $.02.
anyone reading The New Avengers? i have many to go but I want to read up to Dark Reign with norman osborn in control, as I got a Avengers comic on Free Comic Book Day which has me kinda pumped.
(May. 15, 2009  7:28 PM)dieddead46 Wrote: I loved Nee Smile Still have my mint issue 1. Didn't realize Zim was ever made in to a proper comic, could have sworn it was just the cartoon Confused

Jhonen made a single comic, with two issues in it. It was commissioned by Nickelodeon, so it's not Jhonen's usual work. It wasn't bad though

I just placed an order for the hard cover of JTHM Director's Cut. I have the regular one, but I want that spiffy cover
I started reading Ultimate Spider-man this week, and it's great. The art is fantastic. I'm not sure about the older Amazing Spider-man comics, but every page in Ultimate Spider-man has color. So far I'm on issue 49 and I am lovin it. Going to get a subscription when I can (maybe to Amazing Spider-man too).

Probably my ONLY gripe with this version of Spider-man is that some details of the original story is changed or left out. It never really explains how Peter Parker met Mary Jane (considering he's just a geeky nerd originally). Other things, like the [spoiler]The Lizard/Curt Connors[spoiler] story was never shown besides from like one or two pages (well, with what I have read so far). And don't get me started about [spoiler]Venom[spoiler]. Seriously, just about one or tissues of appearance?

I love how Spider-man is basically just a teenage kid who goes to school, have a part time job, and still have problems in life despite the fact that he's a superhero. It shows that the character isn't the ultimate end-all solution to villainy (like in anime/manga?)- he's got his own flaws and problems too, and that's what I like about it.
I've read a few, but i'm looking to get into comic books a lot more. After reading Watchmen a few months before the cinema release, I was blown away.

Since then i've followed a series called DMZ which I really like. I think i'm looking for series that are centred on more realistic, every day dramas and characters... rather than sterotypical superheroes.
I like reading DareDevil that's a pretty good series in my opinion. also Electra and Green Arrow. but I don't read those much these days anymore
(May. 14, 2009  3:23 AM)Toto Wrote: Looks like you're in a rude awakening when you find out what a novel is, jsc.

Also, uh, does Scott Pilgrim count?

SCOTT PILGRIM IS LEGENDARY!
Although i haven't read it all yet (don't have a lot of time)
It seems to be awesome. I also need to buy Kick carp!
I used to read most of the marvel comics i stoped after the civil war since it got way to expensive i think i still have all of ultimate spider-man somewhere and ive still got alot of my amazing spider-mans and a few x-men comics.

Also realy enjoyed reading teen titains and batman from DC i dont find alot of DC's charathers as apealing as Marvels
Garfield FTW!

I actually ended up reading The Watchmen. That went deeper than most comics.
i have batman, hybrids and superman
Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Amazing Spiderman, Batman, Deadpool Corps
Extremely unsurprising to see lots of Watchmen rep in this thread. I recently got back into reading comics as of late, and then I read JLA: Cry for Justice per a friend's recommendation and was subsequently reminded of why I decided to stop. Rise of Arsenal/Fall of Green Arrow turned out to be a good read though.

As far as current books I've been finding myself reading more Marvel as of late. I know the Heroic Age means I should be reading Avengers/New Avengers (especially since I really liked Veronica Hand in Dark Avengers) but I'm only reading Secret Avengers at the moment, mainly due to Steve basically operating as team leader. And Nova. I understand that Morrison on Batman (and Robin) has been extremely good, but I'm much too cheap to start following the resurrection of Bruce at the moment. So that basically means more trades for me to buy later. Also JMS Superman. Hurm.

I'm predominantly a Green Lantern fan, though. I don't read Corps (although I should...), but I'm trying to build up my backissues collection on vol. 3 at the moment. LCS has the issues where they introduce Kyle, but they're a bit overpriced so I'm waiting for the next convention in January to see what's up. I doubt they'll be going anywhere.

And then there's SDCC with Johns announcing the Sinestro Secret Origin. Romantic relations with Abin Sur's sister? Wuuuuut
(Jul. 30, 2010  12:03 AM)MaxL Wrote: Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Amazing Spiderman, Batman, Deadpool Corps

vendatta is a comic book O.O

and since i dont get banned ofr not staying ontopic uhhh any
i read Sonic the Hedgehog a little (im young)
t've just read a comic called heros for hire
I for one love American comics. Batman is my favorite of all time, but I can't reread Watchmen enough. The movie was O.K.