[Answered]  Want to get 5 Sons their first real beyblades, please guide me master beybladers

Hello there, I am a father to five boys ages 3 up to 8. They have loved the show Beyblade for a few years now on Netflix as well as the movies. They have been building lego Beyblades and launchers for a while now. This year with tax returns I wanted to buy them all their own beyblades, launchers, and 1 or 2 arenas.

I looked at Hasbros sites and it seems there were newly released items in February and Burst is the new hotness. I watched a bunch of YouTube tournaments and it seems like they make their own items. I also looked at a few things on ebay. 

Should I buy basic Burst toys for them, another previous line, or would I find the aftermarket ones more fun and durable?
Should I use a mixing bowl or circular snow sled for the arena or are the premade ones better?
String or Sword/cord launcher launcher more durable?

I really have no clue what to choose and I need 5 (okay, I need one LOL).....6 Beyblades, 6 launchers, and have to decide on arena. 

Please help me Beybladers.....you're my only hope :)
Im decently new, but i’ve found that the newest Beyblade burst Evolution beys are awesome. Depending on your location and all that, then your bey pool will grow or shrink. I’m in the western US, so I prefer the Hasbro brands, and I’d personally suggest: Wyvron W3, Valtryek V3, Spryzen S3, Fafnir F3, Roktavor R3, and probably Satomb S3/Doomscizor D3. (S3,D3,and V3 are a little weaker than the others, so maybe get those for the older ones/yourself?) If you are willing to order from overseas and Japan, then the Takara Tomy brand is the way to go, they have a far more vast pool to pick from, and I’d suggest if you have time to research look at the competitive combinations thread, and try and find what products include each part, then cross reference to try and get the 6 products who’s parts can be swapped within eachother to make powerful beys.

As far as arenas go, I really like the Avatar Attack set, because it has fewer pits (we HATE pit-outs here) but the standard arena used in tournements and the best and most rounded arena is the “Takara Tomy Standard” (I dont remember the numbers in the name offhand, sorry)

As far as LAUNCHERS go, I’d probably (depending on budget) get just 6 String Launchers and 6 launcher grips, (keep in mind only Beyblade BURST launchers work with Burst tops, and accidentally getting the wrong launcher wont work for the beys. Another compatibility point is that Takara Tomy drivers (the bottom part of the tops) wont work with the Hasbro Energy Layers (the top part of the top that gives them their name) and will irreperably damage them if used. You can always tell the difference cause TT drivers are translucent plastic while Hasbro are opaque.

Hope I helped and feel free to PM me any additional questions! Hope you guys get into blading, its really much more fun than it has any right to be.
you might already know this, but there are three generations of beyblade burst: single layer, dual layer, and god layer. for hasbro its beyblade burst, beyblade burst evolution, and beyblade burst evolution switch strike.

generally speaking, all the (same brand) generations are “compatible” in that they use the same launchers, stadiums, and the parts fit each other.  however it’s worth noting that the older generations are generally outclassed by the newer generations.  so i would advise you only buy into god layer aka beyblade burst evolution switch strike (but i admit there are caveats here for advanced players looking for specific parts).

i really love takara tomy beys but they are sold at scalping prices here in the USA.   I do buy them, but it would get insane with lots of kids.   also, hasbro is in lock step with the US tv show your kids might already watch.

ebay is good place to buy, amazon is usually overpriced by 10-20%. and like most things, when the prices seem too good to be true they always are (look out for counterfeit beys).

you sound like a really nice father.  beyblades are competitive but there is enough luck involved so your younger kids can still win.  there is even some light physics to learn also. well done sir.
(Feb. 13, 2018  6:53 AM)RedPanda2 Wrote: you might already know this, but there are three generations of beyblade burst: single layer, dual layer, and god layer. for hasbro its beyblade burst, beyblade burst evolution, and beyblade burst evolution switch strike.

generally speaking, all the (same brand) generations are “compatible” in that they use the same launchers, stadiums, and the parts fit each other.  however it’s worth noting that the older generations are generally outclassed by the newer generations.  so i would advise you only buy into god layer aka beyblade burst evolution switch strike (but i admit there are caveats here for advanced players looking for specific parts).

i really love takara tomy beys but they are sold at scalping prices here in the USA.   I do buy them, but it would get insane with lots of kids.   also, hasbro is in lock step with the US tv show your kids might already watch.

ebay is good place to buy, amazon is usually overpriced by 10-20%. and like most things, when the prices seem too good to be true they always are (look out for counterfeit beys).

you sound like a really nice father.  beyblades are competitive but there is enough luck involved so your younger kids can still win.  there is even some light physics to learn also. well done sir.

Forgot to mention if you’re getting _3 “SwitchStrike” beys, the cheapest place to get them is usually direct from the manufacturer at Hasbrotoyshop.com if the particular ones you want are available there. Theyre ~12.99USD a pop
BeybladerDad
yeah I’m also pretty new here but welcome!
I’ll give you my advice, but costs and releases (which Beyblades available) can vary by country so yeah it may or may not be relevant to you?
so yeah I’ll start now?and do my best

the first thing you’ll need are the Beyblades. I recommend the new switchstrike ones, they perform better than the beyblade burst releases and overall, are better. you can’t miss them, they have a big logo on the packaging that says switchstrike. Right now, I’m pretty sure that there are 10 switchstrike Beyblades.
2 of them (valtryek and satomb) come with a green star shaped arena, for about $70 to $80 in ?? Australia.
There is also wave 1, which consists of:
another valtryek. It is an orange right spinning attack type with low attack and stamina compared to other switchstrike. Valtryek has spring blades on its layer that are supposed to burst an opponent, but I find them more of a hindrance?. Valtryek does not roam around the arena as quickly as other attack types.
Fafnir. It is a left spinning stamina type that, when it makes contact with its opponent, steals the spin of right spinning Beyblades. very hard to beat it for most Beyblades) it’s golden and blue
Wyvron. It is a right spinning Defense type that has a free spinning disc where most Beyblades would make contact with it. The disc absorbs the attack, directing it away. Personally, I find it easy prey for valtryek, but it might just be me?. Wyvron is green and purple
Roktavor. It is a right spinning balance type. I don’t really know much about this one, but I’ve seen it function like a Defense type, returning to the center after most hits. Roktavor is orange.
All the switchstrike beyhlades in wave 1 come with a basic white launcher that can spin a beyblade left or right, the bey, and a tightly coiled cord to launch the beyblade. It is recommended to straighten the cord before using it, as using a bent one can damage the cord and the launcher. There are tutorials on YouTube on how to straighten your ripcords.

The other 4 Beyblades are part of wave 2. The come with a launcher, ripcord and bey, just like wave 1. Wave 2 consists of a stamina valtryek, cognite, doomscizor, and spryzen. I don’t really know much about them??

As for stadiums, anything big and round wil do. You’ll have 6 beys in there, so go as big as you can. Most stadiums will have enough room for 6, but barely. I advise you use a sled or something. Mixing bowls won’t work(we tried, but they broke?) get a sled, just make sure it slowly slants towards the bottom and has plenty of room. Otherwise, just get a regular red “chaos core”stadium, or the green $70 one that comes with satomb and valtryek.

So I’ll do the costs for you:

6 (beyblade) x 25 (Australian dollar) =$150??
Chaos core stadium = $18 ?
This comes to $168 aud. it has all the basic requirements

or don’t pay for the stadium and use a circular durable sled and 6x Beyblades for $150 (recommended)

4 (beyblade) x 25 = 100
Switchstrike green stadium ( 2 launcher, 2 bey, 1 stadium)= about $70
Cost $170
expensive but fancy

the prices keep going higher if u want accessories for your launchers. it’s not necessary, but nice. I haven’t bought them, but if u really need them, i recommend the dual threat or something (a big $20 red launcher)
20x6=$120

so yeah here are ur options in australia (I don’t know about America)
6 beys, already owned sled: $150
6 beys, buy sled:$150 + sled price
6 beys, red stadium : $168
4 beys, 2 beys, green stadium: $170
add $120 to chosen package for 6 dual threat launchers (optional)
hope this helps
(Feb. 13, 2018  10:22 AM)leosama Wrote: So I’ll do the costs for you:

6 (beyblade) x 25 (Australian dollar) =$150??
Chaos core stadium = $18 ?
This comes to $168 aud. it has all the basic requirements

or don’t pay for the stadium and use a circular durable sled and 6x Beyblades for $150 (recommended)

4 (beyblade) x 25 = 100
Switchstrike green stadium ( 2 launcher, 2 bey, 1 stadium)= about $70
Cost $170
expensive but fancy

the prices keep going higher if u want accessories for your launchers. it’s not necessary, but nice. I haven’t bought them, but if u really need them, i recommend the dual threat or something (a big $20 red launcher)
20x6=$120

so yeah here are ur options in australia (I don’t know about America)
6 beys, already owned sled: $150
6 beys, buy sled:$150 + sled price
6 beys, red stadium : $168
4 beys, 2 beys, green stadium: $170
add $120 to chosen package for 6 dual threat launchers (optional)
hope this helps

EPIC Breakdown! Thank you SO much for the amazing response. The cost breakdown and, even more important, the names of the better selections is a great help. 

Thank you to all that have replied so far and those that follow. I did not know any of this info. I knew there was cool stuff besides Hasbro but had only really looked at the Hasbro site. I do want them to hold up to a lot of battles and the rigors of non-stop boys duking it out. I will upload a video of my sons playing with their lego creations soon. 
I will get a circle sled for them to have multiple spinners but I still want an individual battle arena. They have been using a storage tote lid or big mixing bowl for their lego spinners (just tops hand spun or sometimes a created launcher with thread).

AWESOME group forum you have here, really impressive. Looking forward to future chats.
BeybladerDad
ahaha thanks??
yeah I couldn’t get around to the names of wave 2 cos of homework, but you might want to consider that wave 2 might take a while to be released in Australia. It’s beeen releases in the us, but people are saying it’ll take a while. if u take away the 4 beys from wave 2, there will be 6 beys left: the 4 earlier described, another valtryek but instead the same colour as the anime (functionally the same as orange valtryek) and satomb (which I’ll try to describe later if I have time)

6 beys does sound like a miracle, but for 2 of them, the catch is that u gotta buy the arena too.
so if u need it pronto, get the $170 package (4 individual beys, green regular stadium, and 2 beys that come with it)

if u wanna wait until wave 2 and buy 6 individual switchstrike beys, 2 of u will have to go without a bey until the release.

I’d say the best thing to do would be to get the green stadium and 6 beys for now, so that the children get the feeling of having a beyblade, and then when wave 2 comes out, see if they’re fine with the ones they have or if they wanna upgrade to wave 2 (wave 2 will take longer, but be worth the wait, they’re really good). if you choose to do this, keep in mind that a maximum of 2 of u guys won’t be able to upgrade.
you’ll also get the individual arena that you mentioned earlier.
thanks for your time!
leosama,

I can get the Evolution Green (just like Switchstrike) combo kit for $35, the Avatar Attack combo for $50, amd the Chaos Core Arena for $10

The Burst Beyblades are $8, Launcher is $5, Beyblade starter with Launcher is $10, Beyblade Switchstrike starter with Launcher is $13, and two Beyblade packs for $15.

not sure what Switchstrike means. ALso, still looking to find out when Hasbro is releasing Version3. I do value the Tomy name and product, so may consider but need to find a place to order from
(Feb. 14, 2018  4:42 AM)BeybladerDad Wrote: leosama,

I can get the Evolution Green (just like Switchstrike) combo kit for $35, the Avatar Attack combo for $50, amd the Chaos Core Arena for $10

The Burst Beyblades are $8, Launcher is $5, Beyblade starter with Launcher is $10, Beyblade Switchstrike starter with Launcher is $13, and two Beyblade packs for $15.

not sure what Switchstrike means. ALso, still looking to find out when Hasbro is releasing Version3. I do value the Tomy name and product, so may consider but need to find a place to order from

version 3 of burst hasnt even released in takara tomy yet so thats like a years wait my guy.Also switchstrike is basically what hasbro is calling the abilites of the beyblades dont get the chaos core its not that good the star storm and avatar attack are good enough.

Switchstrike is the “God Layer” system, theyre the newest and best of the beys. 
They’re usually 12.99USD, and come with a white launcher that can spin left or right. The 7.99USD ones dont include the launchers, and are older and less refined. Normal (gen1) or Dual Layer (gen2) systems, while Switchstrike is gen3.
That is precisely the info I needed. Thank you.

I think I want to buy Switchstrike and maybe even go with a Sword Launcher.

I wish hasbro sold the RPM one, thats pretty cool.
(Feb. 14, 2018  4:45 AM)bidinga Wrote:

version 3 of burst hasnt even released in takara tomy yet so thats like a years wait my guy.Also switchstrike is basically what hasbro is calling the abilites of the beyblades dont get the chaos core its not that good the star storm and avatar attack are good enough.

version 3 of takara tomy is “god layer system”.  however you might be referring to the entirely new series (system?) of takara tomy burst getting announced at the end of the month.  this new series would be the 4th version of burst.  the last 3rd gen takara tomy regular bey release appears to b-103, which comes out 2/17, i believe.

hasbro is half or 2/3rds of a year behind TT as to be expected, same for the anime.  Japan has episode 47, disney xd is on episode 16 or 17.

also OP, stadiums and launchers work great with either brand.  however avoid mixing the bey brands themselves, as others have mentioned.  there are design differences that, when intermixed, lead to unintentional imbalances and even damage to the beys themselves.  you need to go all hasbro or all TT for beys.
For a stadium, I suggest a satellite dish if it is for 6 people.
btw i havent used a string launcher, but the cord launcher has some of its teeth slightly bent after constant use (and also cos im too strong haha). I wouldnt know, but ive seen some people saying to pull the string launcher gently
If it is for 6 people I would recommend the Takara Tomy wide stadium!
(Feb. 14, 2018  7:17 AM)RichieBoi Wrote: For a stadium, I suggest a satellite dish if it is for 6 people.

the sleds are all over the “mainstream” (stock combo battle) youtube channels right now. and it’s cool to be able to rip your launcher as hard as you want to no fear of self KO. 

but tbh, i am unsure if i’d want to play on a sled as a main stadium.  if you watch the sled or “real life anime” battles, they really take on completely different feel. specifically, these matches are a (generally) slower lower action stamina-bey friendly experience. 

i think the standard god layer stadium (like b-33) is the king.  anything bigger disadvantages attack beys. 

the god layer stadium is an improvement over the first burst stadium (b-09) because the top opening is slightly but noticeably bigger and more open.
88powerpig88 is one of the most trusted sellers on eBay... located in the US... decent selection!