[Answered]  Old fan wondering if I should bother with newer Beys

Hey guys,

I'm a guy who grew up with Beyblade during the 90s and early 2000s, then again during high school around the Japanese launch of MFB. I've always been a bit less interested in the competitive nature of Beyblade (I'm definitely not a competitive person) and a bit more interested in the designs/art of the Beyblades (colors, stickers, bits, etc), physics of the game, and the anime. During these times I collected a ton of Plastics, HMS, and pre-hybrid MFB. I loved all of those, but once the hybrid system started coming out, I really lost interest for some reason. It may have been because I couldn't get into the anime as much, maybe because of my age, or maybe the designs just didn't do it for me (I was so excited we were finally getting all metal Beyblades only to have them take it away almost immediately). I'm not entirely sure. But now I'm going back to collect all the stuff I never had or sold, because Beyblade was always important to me, and I want a set to keep for most of my life. 

While doing that, I'm wondering if I should bother trying the newer Beyblades (Burst?). From what I can tell, we've reverted to a plastic design, and they've become more bulky. It also seems they've removed stickers (or is this only really recent)? I do see that they've re-used a few of the first-gen designs, which I'm eyeing a lot more than the others. I definitely can say that, out of the Burst Beyblades I've seen so far, I haven't liked the looks of the others much. They seem rather over-designed, bulky, and plastic-y (a bit closer to Bey Brad's Battle Strikers, if anyone remembers those lmao). But I've only very very briefly looked at what was probably the most recent ones, and at the end of the Plastic Gen, I started to feel the same way a little bit. Anything else in particular I should look at?

From the mechanics perspective, I like the idea of Beyblades "bursting". That's something that would always happen in the anime, but never something you'd want to happen irl, because it usually meant something broke and would have to be replaced. That said, I'm wondering what the general consensus is about if that improves the game strategically or not. It excites me about the opportunity for attack-types, but I think I'm hearing that the game is still quite skewed towards more defensive builds.

Finally, are these Beyblades still totally usable in the older stadiums? I don't think I'd want to bother getting anything newer unless I'd really have to to try them. I have a Tornado HMS stadium, a couple Plastic Gen Hasbro stadiums at my parents' house, and I soon will have a G-Rev Tornado stadium, too. Have stadium designs changed a lot?

I know this is pretty rambly, but I'd appreciate any help pushing me in the right direction. I initially didn't think I'd care for the current generation stuff, but after watching an episode of the anime (thinking it was actually pretty solid) and my brother asking me about them, my interest has been slightly piqued. Just not sure if it's a good idea to follow that or, if so, where to even start with these.

Edit: Oh, also let me know if I should be avoiding any certain types of Beyblades or if I should be excluding Hasbro at all or not. Thanks!
Burst is pretty exciting, You got another level of fun in Beyblade. No Stickers- Blame Hasbro TT Still has them. Hasbro removed stickers in MFB Metal Masters I think. There are Some Old gen remakes, And Burst is far more durable then Plastics. Metal is Inclined Towards defense, umm, czV Took care of that. It's just people like to use defense And lay safe. I would Say Start with Dual Layer Anime (season 1). It makes most logic. And AVOID HASBRO. they are selling Choz Layers AKA Turbo without metal on Layer(attack ring)
For me Bursting is another fun element added to Beyblade
I'm new to Beyblade as of around Burst Cho-Z, but I was interested enough in fast spinning beys that could blow up enough to get a lot of them.

Many will tell you to skip the Hasbro releases. And honestly, they might have a point.
Takara Tomy releases have stickers still, and a decent amount of metal in the layers.
All the forge discs are generally metal. There are a few rare exceptions that have a bit of plastic.

Hasbro releases, with a few exceptions in the God series, have little to no metal. Take "Revive Phoenix/Phoenix P4" as an example. Both TT and Hasbro's version have an armor disc that clicks into place on the layer. However, the TT version has lots of metal bits, and the Hasbro version has no metal bits. TT rP weighs about 24 grams. Hasbro's Phoenix P4 weighs around 12. What difference does weight make? Well, heavy beys can push around lighter beys, do more damage, burst better. A heavy bey is not a weakness, the launchers make them go very fast, and it generally doesn't drain your stamina.

Hasbro tips can only be used with Hasbro layers. TT tips can only be used with TT layers. This is because Hasbro tips and layers hold together with slopes, and TT tips and layers hold together with teeth. You'll never fully understand what each of those mean unless you look really close at a layer of each. Some teeth are better than sloped counterparts; some slopes are better than teethed counterparts. It varies.

There are the occasional beys that Hasbro makes themselves that have no TT counterpart. Their performance usually isn't that amazing.

Takara Tomy is always innovating with new beys, usually with increased weight and size. Hasbro pursues more of a lightweight speed ideology, with fast beys, and their own "Slingshock system" that relies on having faster moving beys to go up ramps and other odd beystadium features.

Takara Tomy stuff is always going to be a bit more expensive, it has to be imported from East Asia. Hasbro parts can add up too.

There are a fair amount of bootlegs on Ebay and Amazon, so do be careful.

If you decide to get into Beyblade Burst, you might have a lot of fun. However, make sure you have people you know who want to play Beyblade with you. It can be very lonely to have a lot of Hasbro and TT beys but no one who wants to play. None of my friends want to play, neither does my wife. They hate the sound it makes. There are WBO tournaments, but they run somewhat infrequently because there are a lot of rules and management behind it.

I would start by looking up some videos of Takara Tomy beyblade battles. Those are always good to help you decide if you want to get back into this.

I have never seen a single episode of clip of any of the Beyblade anime. But I hear that Shu needs some eyedrops.

I asked on the Discord for you. Yes, Beyblade Burst beys work in your old beystadiums. But when they burst, they do so at high velocity. Aside from a few outliers like Hasbro's colossus beystadium (which I like and no one else does), each beystadium has a plastic cover designed to keep bursting parts inside the stadium so they don't fly out and hit you. I will confirm that I had a bey burst in an unshielded beystadium yesterday, and the layer went flying, and I could not find it for two minutes.

Also, if you end up getting mostly Hasbro beys, be prepared to feel oppressed by better TT beys and rules designed around the idea that TT can do not wrong and all Hasbro parts that are any good must be banned. Smile
Deleted post
Yes! They are very fun and there are many to collect.
Whether you should bother will come down entirely to your own tastes. I grew up in plastics but had no interest in MFB. When I saw Burst, I saw the beys I grew up with and was interested. Started looking into it about February of 2018.

I spent a good amount of time reading around the forum and watching videos on Youtube. After seeing Hasbro's green Fafnir F3, I just got so excited! Then I got swept up in the excitement of the Cho-Z release (from which Hasbro bases the Turbo beys on). And from there, I went for it.

I ended up going the Takara-Tomy route, with some Hasbro purchases (including green Fafnir, of course). I wanted the latest and greatest, and they are easier to get ahold of no matter how late in the game you start.

You can use the old stadiums if you want, but depending on what you have, it may not be as fun. I only had the old Dragoon Hurricane Stadium and Dracial Fortress Stadium, and those work poorly compared to something like the new Burst BeyStadium Standard Type (with the closest being MFB's BB-10). The Burst BeyStadium Standard Type is the one stadium you see all over the place, kind of small with plastic shielding over it.
Alright guys, thanks! I appreciate all the responses. I had forgotten to mention that I used to be a regular on WBO around the time of it's inception (2008,2009), so I'm familiar with how tournaments work here and whatnot. I'm also very familiar with purchasing from Japan/Takara in general.

It definitely sounds to me like if I buy any of these Beyblades, though, that I'll want to strictly buy Takara (or Sonokong if that's still a thing, I guess). The lack of stickers on these Hasbro versions just make the already odd designs look a bit too "Fisher Price" for my taste, if I'm honest. As for stadiums, it seems like I'll probably be okay with the older Gen Takara stadiums (like my HMS Tornado stadium). I'll just have to watch for flying parts, which is no big deal.

That said, I honestly don't think my primary goal in purchasing Beyblades would be to play with them. Outside of my brother and sister(who both live in a different city a few hours away from me), I don't think I'll have anyone I'll be actually playing them with (although I could always revive my 10-year-old cringe youtube channel and play on my own if I really felt like it). And I'm far too old to being doing anything tournament related. So, my conclusion is that I probably will only get the throwback Plastic-Gen Burst redesigns for primarily collecting purposes. Unless they change my mind, I'll probably just stick to that and focus on older-gen Beyblades.

Thanks for all the help!
(Jan. 17, 2019  6:59 AM)Pich Wrote: Alright guys, thanks! I appreciate all the responses. I had forgotten to mention that I used to be a regular on WBO around the time of it's inception (2008,2009), so I'm familiar with how tournaments work here and whatnot.  I'm also very familiar with purchasing from Japan/Takara in general.

It definitely sounds to me like if I buy any of these Beyblades, though, that I'll want to strictly buy Takara (or Sonokong if that's still a thing, I guess). The lack of stickers on these Hasbro versions just make the already odd designs look a bit too "Fisher Price" for my taste, if I'm honest. As for stadiums, it seems like I'll probably be okay with the older Gen Takara stadiums (like my HMS Tornado stadium). I'll just have to watch for flying parts, which is no big deal.

That said, I honestly don't think my primary goal in purchasing Beyblades would be to play with them. Outside of my brother and sister(who both live in a different city a few hours away from me), I don't think I'll have anyone I'll be actually playing them with (although I could always revive my 10-year-old cringe youtube channel and play on my own if I really felt like it). And I'm far too old to being doing anything tournament related. So, my conclusion is that I probably will only get the throwback Plastic-Gen Burst redesigns for primarily collecting purposes. Unless they change my mind, I'll probably just stick to that and focus on older-gen Beyblades.

Thanks for all the help!
Sonokong doesn't makes beyblades now. And I won't lie, But OG remakes will easily burst, It's because the Heavy Recoil shape of OG beys. I will say get some Main line beys as well as remakes. This is because OG remakes is for our nostalgia.
Gotcha! And that's totally okay. I'd honestly rather see the new mechanic (Bursting) often if I'm choosing to play with that system of Beys anyway. And I'm collecting primarily because of nostalgia, so I'm not too concerned with competitive performance.