Anime Conventions

So...a lot of people here probably have gone to at least one, and that is most likely Anime North if they've seen Brad. I want to know what recent conventions everyone has been to.

In my case, I've been going to Otakon since 2006 and I'll be there this Saturday, since I can't stay for three days.
AN was my last, but FanExpo (previously CNAnime) is coming up Grin
Animazement is in my area at the time AN will be held, so if I have to make a choice, I'll definitely choose AN over it (beyblade scene yeaaaaaah).
Oh jeez, I've been to far too many in the past few years. 8| Most recent for me was Anime Expo, and I've got Penny Arcade Expo (well, it's a gaming con) and Kumoricon coming up at the end of the month. I went to both last year as well. I also attend Sakura-Con in Seattle, and Animethon in Edmonton, AB (though I'm missing this year).
(Aug. 07, 2008  6:06 PM)Carina Wrote: Oh jeez, I've been to far too many in the past few years. 8| Most recent for me was Anime Expo, and I've got Penny Arcade Expo (well, it's a gaming con) and Kumoricon coming up at the end of the month. I went to both last year as well. I also attend Sakura-Con in Seattle, and Animethon in Edmonton, AB (though I'm missing this year).

Rawgh I would never be caught dead at an Anime convention but it would be like my gaming wet dream come true to go to Penny Arcade Expo. Which, admittedly, is probably more geeky than I'd like to admit. rofl
(Aug. 07, 2008  6:09 PM)Roan Wrote:
(Aug. 07, 2008  6:06 PM)Carina Wrote: Oh jeez, I've been to far too many in the past few years. 8| Most recent for me was Anime Expo, and I've got Penny Arcade Expo (well, it's a gaming con) and Kumoricon coming up at the end of the month. I went to both last year as well. I also attend Sakura-Con in Seattle, and Animethon in Edmonton, AB (though I'm missing this year).

Rawgh I would never be caught dead at an Anime convention but it would be like my gaming wet dream come true to go to Penny Arcade Expo. Which, admittedly, is probably more geeky than I'd like to admit. rofl

You should try and go at some point, it's really fun. $50 for a weekend pass at the door, which basically pays for all the free swag you get from the exhibitors hall, and the gaming lounges are open all night if I remember correctly. I spent a lot of my time in the handheld lounge pictochatting, lol.
(Aug. 07, 2008  5:57 PM)Shining Blaze Wrote: So...a lot of people here probably have gone to at least one, and that is most likely Anime North if they've seen Brad. I want to know what recent conventions everyone has been to.

In my case, I've been going to Otakon since 2006 and I'll be there this Saturday, since I can't stay for three days.

If you can go to the Fansub panel at Otakon, there is going to be representatives from Dattebayo, as well as FUNimation, IIRC Bandai, ADV, and Media Blasters may have reps there. I have a feeling a Jerry Springer type brawl will ensue durring that panel.

Me? I've never been to any convention of any sort, unless you count AutoShows a convention.
I've never been to an anime convention before but this year I am going with one of my friends. It sounds like alot of fun! I am going to Nan Desu Kan, the one in Denver.
I went to ACon in Dallas this year, had a lot of fun...looked everywhere for anything Beyblade or Digimon. Found one or two Digimon items. Got a lot of pictures with cosplayers too, that was fun.

I MIGHT be going to AFest in a few weeks, but I dunno.

Next year at Acon, Anubis and I might be hosting an IBA beyblade tournament. Tongue_out
Just got back from Otakon. My album is below.

Otakon 2008
After seeing your album I now know that more then 5 people played No More Heroes. And yes, now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
I noticed that most cosplayers who did Travis Touchdown used Tsubaki Mk III because it was one of the easier ones to make. With the exception of the one who made his from scratch, it's really just taking a green light saber and putting the golden kanji on it. That is, if they even tried to make a Beam Katana instead of buying a light saber and doing nothing with it.

If you noticed, I actually did one of the harder ones and made the basic Blood Berry. Didn't come out the best, but it came out just fine and I'm happy with it, though the one who made Tsubaki had little to no trouble.

On another note, No More Heroes sold well in both the USA and Europe. It was only Japan where the sales were poor, so many people have played No More Heroes if the sales were good.
Dude Otakon was fun. (Thanks again for the Gurren Laggan... I miss Core Drill)

Next year if we can get enough people we should do a beyblade thing and you need to start coming on friday :<

Now for the actual con panels themselfs. Unlike last year there weren't many interesting ones I saw cept for the Yuri Longthal(sp) one and that was AFTER Blaze told me about his role in TTGL.

But the trule highlight of Otakon is the Rave. thats what makes the 65 bucks worth it.
I've gone to Anime Detour in 07 and 08. I've also gone to Kakkoi Con, but that wasn't as great as Detour. The rave at the last Detour was hell though. You could walk past the door and then feel all the musk/sweat/odor hit you.

I wanna go as
<---------
the next con I go to
Serious
(Aug. 17, 2008  5:32 AM)G Wrote: The rave at the last Detour was hell though. You could walk past the door and then feel all the musk/sweat/odor hit you.

Mmm... Fat nerds grinding in a drug-influenced pit of weeaboo.

Sounds like great fun. lol
My favourite Con was the worst one ever according to normal fans. I went to the one time only Con No Baka after getting the time off because of my Wisdom Teeth Surgery. I was on so many drugs it was crazy. I went to the dance/rave being held and during my "dancing" manage to kick a skinnier than average Gothic kid across the floor. This was especially painful because I was dressed as Sanji from One Piece and had acquired steel toed shoes for the costume. I met up with him at D-TAC a week later and his ribs were all purple.
(Aug. 17, 2008  5:32 AM)G Wrote: I've gone to Anime Detour in 07 and 08. I've also gone to Kakkoi Con, but that wasn't as great as Detour. The rave at the last Detour was hell though. You could walk past the door and then feel all the musk/sweat/odor hit you.

I wanna go as
<---------
the next con I go to
Serious

G is God. Nuff said.

As for the ever present sin of must. Its horrific in the small back room at Otakon but in the main area there is more space so less cramping. Doesn't matter for me, I carry a fresh stick of deoderaint, Toothpaste and Colone(sp).

And Roan old buddy Steryotypes r bad.
AN is my latest and is impressive imo. but the location is kinda poor.
still these conventions tire me because of the extreme ADD-ness and rabid Fans who constantly talk. I get on edge sorta. Over-Saturation is my choice word.

But beyblade is cool enough that I can put up with it.
Don't get me started on the rabid fans...