ALCHEMY

This collection was inspired by my recent infatuation with the four elements and alchemy in general. This isn't the full collection. I plan to expand on this concept with wallpapers and other creations, whether they be visual or otherwise. I like this concept because it allows me to strip down to the very basics of what I know when it comes to graphics and concepts and present something that is basic yet provoking upon viewing.

So, without tooting my own horn anymore, here's what I have so far. I think you'll see my progress and evolution in this style as the pieces continue.

Earth (1st Piece I made):

[Image: earth-sig-no-text.jpg]

Air (2nd Piece):

[Image: air-sig.jpg]

Air Revision:

[Image: airsigrevisedoy2.jpg]

Fire (3rd Piece):

[Image: fire-sig-final.jpg]

Water (4th Piece):

[Image: water-sig-final.jpg]

----------

So... Comments and the like are always appreciated. Smile
too artsy

and i mean wayy to artsy

but thats just me
not artsy enough
after joke post:

earth is the best one there. I think water and air still need some work. The water doesn't look much like water, and the air just looks a little half-hearted. Fire ... maybe a bit more orange, but the red looks cool, just not firey.
Tamer Brad Wrote:after joke post:

earth is the best one there. I think water and air still need some work. The water doesn't look much like water, and the air just looks a little half-hearted. Fire ... maybe a bit more orange, but the red looks cool, just not firey.

You really think Earth is the best? It's honestly my least favorite of the bunch and I think it looks rather... Out of place when sitting with the rest of them. The purpose of Earth was to be stripped down and basic but I think I want to edit it a little. My favorites are easily Fire and Water.

Anyway, I'll admit that I didn't put the most amount of time into making Air, so I decided to re-visit it and spruce it up a bit. This is what I came up with:

[Image: airsigrevisedoy2.jpg]

I think that's much more interesting visually.

As for your comments on the Water piece, I was aiming for something like a stream of bubbles/ jet stream that weaved around the triangle.

I tried adding more orange to the Fire piece and honestly everything I tried ended up looking chintzy and cliché.

But thanks for the comments. Smile
they're all kind of... bland?

sorry, but you've done way better works before Unhappy

water is my fav, btw
Artie Wrote:they're all kind of... bland?

water is my fav, btw

I Wrote:I like this concept because it allows me to strip down to the very basics of what I know when it comes to graphics and concepts and present something that is basic yet provoking upon viewing.

lawl

I think it's interesting how people identify with the different elements/pieces. That was part of the motivation for making these. I wanted to experiment with attachment to the elements.
ЯOAN Wrote:
Artie Wrote:they're all kind of... bland?

water is my fav, btw

I Wrote:I like this concept because it allows me to strip down to the very basics of what I know when it comes to graphics and concepts and present something that is basic yet provoking upon viewing.

lawl

I think it's interesting how people identify with the different elements/pieces. That was part of the motivation for making these. I wanted to experiment with attachment to the elements.

I read your post, but you can be minimalist and not be bland lol
All of them seem a bit dark, don't you think?
Especially air.
Unless you were aiming for that.
I wanted to keep them mostly dark so that the small amounts of color I did use would stand out more.
I plan on editing Earth, I just haven't had the time yet.
Air (revised) is my favourite.

For the other three, adding in some kind of light source would really help brighten them up and make them more visually exciting. At the moment, they are a bit flat and lifeless with no variation in lighting at all.

Saying that though, I do like the abstract fire/smoke you've created. Smile
Fire is way too simple man, fractal brushes don't really look like fire, try using smudging and coloring it with a little more orange

earth is really hard to see, but some custom brushing (with default brush) with textures and edited settings make good earth like effects, you should try that Wink

here's a example of that effect, a sig i made in 2005 lol: [Image: sksig2id.jpg]

air revision is cool
Silver Kane Wrote:Fire is way too simple man, fractal brushes don't really look like fire, try using smudging and coloring it with a little more orange

earth is really hard to see, but some custom brushing (with default brush) with textures and edited settings make good earth like effects, you should try that Wink

here's a example of that effect, a sig i made in 2005 lol: [Image: sksig2id.jpg]

air revision is cool

There are no fractal brushes in Fire. Wink
then may I ask what that is? lol :p gradients with distort filters?
I used a set of flame brushes for the background and enlarged them.

Then I overlayed them with three different shades of red, then overlayed THAT with a black-to-transparent gradient overlay twice; one from the top and one from the bottom so that the top and bottom of the image are darker than the center, thus drawing more attention to the smoke and triangle.

I think you guys are looking too literally for representations of the elements in these pieces. They're all abstract. I'm aiming to use visual cues to make you think of the properties of elements rather than blatantly include them.

I don't like spelling things out in my work. I like to leave things up for personal interpretation.

Take Fire, for instance. There are no actual flames, but rather smoke is the main focus. Smoke is related to fire and thus the smoke and colors used in the image are related to fire. As they say, "where there is smoke, there's fire".
I don't know what you're getting at by posting that, but I'm sure it's some sort of smart remark.
it isn't Unhappy you were just talking about abstract art and it made me think of those andy warhol paintings (which are such carp)

so yes I was poking fun, but not insulting, stop trying to be offended, I already said I like your signatures.
Well seeing as how I had no idea what you were trying to say, I guess it would be a little easy to misinterpret your meaning. Wink
Well then ask before being offended. Lips_sealed Also, I can't blame you for not knowing about those craptacular paintings. I really hate modern art sometimes.
Tamer Brad Wrote:Also, I can't blame you for not knowing about those craptacular paintings. I really hate modern art sometimes.

lmao