Why are we embarrassed about beys??

(Nov. 29, 2014  7:02 AM)VaBlader4Life Wrote: @BURGER KING: So you are telling me there is a stereotype of people who think beyblades are weapons?'

People that exaggerate about beyblades (the Type of fans that say stuff like "my Storm Pegasus can break through solid walls and kill people !!!1!). If they're making fun of you for liking beyblades it's most likely because they think your childish.
(Nov. 29, 2014  12:30 AM)BURGER KING Wrote:
(Nov. 28, 2014  8:55 PM)~Stoney~ Wrote:
(Nov. 28, 2014  9:06 AM)VaBlader4Life Wrote: I'm a 20 year old polisci major at the university of virginia. In high school I won 3 athletic state championships and was voted homecoming king my senior year. Oh and also, BEYBLADE IS MY ISH. I must admit though, I did keep it hidden for quite a while. At times, even from my own parents. I had no friends who would have understood. I was ashamed of it. But then I realized that hiding something that I was passionate about was like hiding a part of me. And to be ashamed was to be shameful of my own self. Be who you want to be, do what you want to do, and be confident in who you are. Makes life a lot more simple.

That was probably the best summary of that whole "hiding-beyblade-problem" I´ve ever read. Very well-worded, bro! I fully agree.

@BURGER KING: lol, DK?? XD
It just makes all beyblade fans look bad when older kids/people go around acting like they're in the anime and beyblades are actual weapons, people start making it into a stereotype. Just sayin.

Uhm...neither VaBlader nor I did say that we were going around like we were in the anime... That would obviously be rediculous.

It's just that when fellow students at university ask me about my hobbies or whether I'm collecting anything, I tell them the truth and say "beyblades". That's all, I'm neither acting like a crazy geek or anything nor taking my beyblades with me to university as a weapon. Tongue_out_wink (I prefer pepper spray to defend myself) I'm just being honest about my hobby. And I think that's how most of us older guys are and should be.

Btw that "lol" was only about your new username. Joyful_2 I love Burger King food! *_*
(Nov. 29, 2014  9:15 AM)~Stoney~ Wrote:
(Nov. 29, 2014  12:30 AM)BURGER KING Wrote:
(Nov. 28, 2014  8:55 PM)~Stoney~ Wrote: That was probably the best summary of that whole "hiding-beyblade-problem" I´ve ever read. Very well-worded, bro! I fully agree.

@BURGER KING: lol, DK?? XD
It just makes all beyblade fans look bad when older kids/people go around acting like they're in the anime and beyblades are actual weapons, people start making it into a stereotype. Just sayin.

Uhm...neither VaBlader nor I did say that we were going around like we were in the anime... That would obviously be rediculous.

It's just that when fellow students at university ask me about my hobbies or whether I'm collecting anything, I tell them the truth and say "beyblades". That's all, I'm neither acting like a crazy geek or anything nor taking my beyblades with me to university as a weapon. Tongue_out_wink I'm just being honest about my hobby. And I think that's how most of us older guys are and should be.

Btw that "lol" was only about your new username. Joyful_2 I love Burger King food! *_*

He's talking about Galaxynovapegs, who made this whole story that is almost identical to a plot in the anime.
(Nov. 29, 2014  9:18 AM)FlyingWaffle Wrote: He's talking about Galaxynovapegs, who made this whole story that is almost identical to a plot in the anime.

Ah I see. I thought it was only about VaBlader's post, sorry.
Well, he seems to be an exception. Joyful_2 without offending him, this behaviour could really seem strange to others... Nevertheless, one shouldn't lie and hide the hobby completely. My opinion.
It wasn't directed at you or VaBlader, I didn't think it would come off like thats since you are obviously really knowledgable and he has probably the most mature answer here.

I was saying that type of behavior made mature, realistic fans like us LOOK bad.
I understand your reasoning, Bladerguy2, with the limited friends you have at school. Although I do not agree with it it entirely.

Me, everyone who knows the things I do to have fun. Yes, some criticized but they didn't leave me over it lol
In high school I played Yu-Gi-Oh!, MTG and also Beyblade. Sure, many of my friends though that was dorky but they stayed my friends.
Eee
Mostly because beyblade is a toy...And people always say it's for kids..It's not true though.
For the same reason I'm hesitant to play as a female character in SSB4, or watch an anime in front of my parents: Nobody understands how fun it truly is until they try it. And possibly because some idiots stereotype anything with a wide color palette as something for kids. Pretty stupid reasons, but that's my thoughts on the matter.
I am not certain that the fundamental reasons between people laughing at you for playing Beyblade and other people laughing at you for choosing a female character in Super Smash Bros. for WiiU or for 3DS are the same. For it to be a similar reason, you would have to be talking of truly mentally debilitated, immature individuals altogether. I think we can all understand that Beyblade is a kids' game and we play it because it has more advanced features to enjoy as well, but in Super Smash Bros. for WiiU/3DS, the female characters are so good that the moment you want variety, there is no reason not to select them. Someone would have to be an immature, not even a normal, five-year-old kid to mock you on that choice, seriously.
For me, I am embarrassed because everybody thinks its a silly toy. My friend was talking about how stupid it was yesterday... I have only told 3 people because they don't really know about it, but they are my friends. Back on topic: its a toy and people think middle schoolers are 'too old' for toys... And ever since I started playing, people said "why would you play with a spinning top? It does nothing!" and after they saw battles, they said "it's so boring. All they do is hit each other". That's my reason, and this is why I have made an alternate YouTube channel for Beyblade only with a fake name.
Middle schoolers are now considered too old to play with toys? Either there's something wrong with the people at your school or there's something wrong with society. I guess I could understand how people might think high schoolers are too old to play with toys (though I disagree), but middle schoolers? Seriously?
(Jan. 15, 2015  11:09 PM)Dual Wrote: Middle schoolers are now considered too old to play with toys? Either there's something wrong with the people at your school or there's something wrong with society. I guess I could understand how people might think high schoolers are too old to play with toys (though I disagree), but middle schoolers? Seriously?

Yup. That's how it is. It will probably be worst when I go to high school next year.. Confused
That's how it is; you have to be with the flow by acting like a young adult. But a hobby that somebody loves (Beyblades) is now for 9 year olds only? Have they not seen Transformers fans? It's true, but I have to keep it a secret. It's society.
I really am not afraid to tell anyone that I play Beyblade, regardless of what anyone says. Even my parents encourage my brother and I to play, even though they are not into it.
(Jan. 15, 2015  9:43 PM)Hato-Bokkun Wrote: For me, I am embarrassed because everybody thinks its a silly toy. My friend was talking about how stupid it was yesterday... I have only told 3 people because they don't really know about it, but they are my friends. Back on topic: its a toy and people think middle schoolers are 'too old' for toys... And ever since I started playing, people said "why would you play with a spinning top? It does nothing!" and after they saw battles, they said "it's so boring. All they do is hit each other". That's my reason, and this is why I have made an alternate YouTube channel for Beyblade only with a fake name.

Probably people who rely too much on Video Games or the IPhone, at least that's for me.

It shouldn't matter if people like Beyblades, just because there's a set demographic for children doesn't mean it's a crime to play, it's pretty much what you like to do, it's a matter of opinion so no one has the right to make fun of anyone. I don't make fun of people for playing Call Of Duty because I'm not a D-bag.
(Jan. 15, 2015  9:43 PM)Hato-Bokkun Wrote: For me, I am embarrassed because everybody thinks its a silly toy. My friend was talking about how stupid it was yesterday... I have only told 3 people because they don't really know about it, but they are my friends. Back on topic: its a toy and people think middle schoolers are 'too old' for toys... And ever since I started playing, people said "why would you play with a spinning top? It does nothing!" and after they saw battles, they said "it's so boring. All they do is hit each other". That's my reason, and this is why I have made an alternate YouTube channel for Beyblade only with a fake name.
So middle schoolers are "too old for toys" and yet most spend so much money on video games. Toys are much more healthier and interactive. Actually, many people like something that's too embarassing to talk about so you're not alone. Even when I know this myself I'm still embarassed about beyblading too.

They're probably people who spend their time on things like Twitter, Facebook or Instagram taking...UGH selfies (I HATE selfies so much, it annoys me more than many things...especially duck faces). I can understand if someone doesn't like Beyblades but saying they are for LITTLE kids or babies is just silly. It is fine if they hate Beyblades but if they say your opinions suck for liking Beyblades then they're generally @$$h○/€s who don't respect what other people have interest on or like because they would judge a book by it's cover.

Like JinbeeTheShark said, they are probably spoiled by carp like Call Of Duty (I'm not saying the COD games are bad, the fanbase was). They thought Beyblades were repetitive and do nothing? The COD series were copy and pastes of each other and Activision did little to nothing to change the COD games other than update the graphics so is Beyblade still the worst thing to them?
(Jan. 16, 2015  12:43 AM)~Pharmist~ Wrote:

They're probably people who spend their time on things like Twitter, Facebook or Instagram taking...UGH selfies (I HATE selfies so much, it annoys me more than many things...especially duck faces). I can understand if someone doesn't like Beyblades but saying they are for LITTLE kids or babies is just silly. It is fine if they hate Beyblades but if they say your opinions suck for liking Beyblades then they're generally @$$h○/€s who don't respect what other people have interest on or like because they would judge a book by it's cover.

Like JinbeeTheShark said, they are probably spoiled by carp like Call Of Duty (I'm not saying the COD games are bad, the fanbase was). They thought Beyblades were repetitive and do nothing? The COD series were copy and pastes of each other and Activision did little to nothing to change the COD games other than update the graphics so is Beyblade still the worst thing to them?
Everybody in my class has every social media account, and I mean EVERY. They are the people that cause trouble, anywhere on a daily basis, take selfies everywhere and anywhere and all of the above. But this is life as we know it Uncertain my definition of society: its been eaten, out the other side, down the toilet, squeezed, washed and put back on the shelf. Then this cruel cycle continues on and on.
I feel like humanity, especially the children, will eventually go all H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine" on us, but a bit differently.

Elois: People as they were a few decades back (and as still many people are). Played outside, hung out with friends, used their imagination.

Morlocks: Speak the cryptic language known as "text talk," live in front of their computer screens, and are quite large due to lack of exercise. Very pale because they only turn on the light to take selfies.

Bit off-topic and I'm delving a bit into social issues, sorry XP
You know, if they think Beyblades are boring or say "all they do is hit each other.", well all you do with selfies is send them to friends and become tired of seeing those stupid faces, they're not funny or "swag", and it's more pointless. I can accept the haters but it's that most people have silly reasons most of the time and that irritates me, an opinion that hasn't been completely justified will not nor ever fly with me.

I'm getting off topic here but I find it STUPID that people text each other in TALKING DISTANCE!

Sorry about that.
(Jan. 16, 2015  12:52 AM)Hato-Bokkun Wrote:

Everybody in my class has every social media account, and I mean EVERY. They are the people that cause trouble, anywhere on a daily basis, take selfies everywhere and anywhere and all of the above. But this is life as we know it Uncertain my definition of society: its been eaten, out the other side, down the toilet, squeezed, washed and put back on the shelf. Then this cruel cycle continues on and on.

Just ignore what they say because you don't want it to bother your interests. Also...ugh, I knew they were the people who take selfies (What is wrong with saying 'self photos' or 'self images'). I'm not saying taking selfies is a bad thing but I just hate it.

Oh and remember when you said that your classmates thought toys were 'too childish and middle-schoolers were too old for toys'? Here is my response...HOW STUPID CAN THEY BE?! If that is the case then video game consoles are at fault too, after all they are toys as well and yet, so many people who are much older buy them. You could argue that they aren't toys but they are things you play with and they were featured in many top selling toys...so yes, video game consoles are toys. So don't deny it, it won't make the pain go away.

Did they also forget LEGO's are for various of ages (except for anyone below 3) and is that childish? No...and Monopoly is also considered toys and it is a FAMILY game.
(Jan. 16, 2015  12:52 AM)Hato-Bokkun Wrote:

I pretty much agree with what you guys said,not just everyone in my class,but everyone in my school has an account in every social media account...This is the reason why I tend to ignore everyone and just looks at my Shinobi Saramanda :\
Shinobi Saramanda, aww yeah, my favourite Zero G Beyblade.

I use to be embarrassed about it in high school, but with College, these people are more mature on my opinion and found the plastics cool and nostalgic.