WBO Writing-Help It

First of all, i'm sorry for Your Creation forum for being in the state where it need this thread to repair itself. Basically, i'm not a writer but i'm more towards poetry and stuff. In my opinion, poetry and writing both face the same kind of problems where there is a Shakespeare wannabe born and started to walk the path of writing. They still confuse and don't know their own goals and don't even realise that they have started to barging on somebody's turf. That is why the world itself have give us the cure to this sickness. I have been thinking that if the writer's story is bad, than the seniors should try and help him to be the best. This is because if he/she have the patience or the will to be a writer, than, we should grab his hands and help him walk the path in front of him. If not, give a piece of your voice slit into his head that he is not suitable to be a writer and should give up the thread. This is just my opinion, I myself don't really knows the right or wrong of the creations i've been created all this while. I learn it the hard way to notice the wrong things that i've done. As Dr Dre always said "i've been there and done that". XD
(Sep. 10, 2011  4:06 PM)DeX Wrote: you know whats the real problem? ITS YOU GUYS.

harsh comments? Multiple attacks? isn't a bit to much guys? and i thought you guys right now are good at writing? cause theres this quote that says "a wise man only needs 1 word to understand"?

You know what's need to be fix. fix it yourself. don't CnC if someone already did so. what's the point of it? it will look like we are harsh to them :[

Now how are WE the issue? When you have a bunch of people who can barely spell posting bad stories, and then lie about fixing it when they obviously didn't edit, making poor excuses (I mean, really. If you need an excuse, put in some effort, dammit!), and all around being stubborn. The issue is that they want all of this praise, but won't put in any effort. If these threads weren't made, then comments would be unnecessary. Most of us aren't harsh until it becomes obvious that the person isn't listening anyway. You're not looking at the whole idea, you just see "Oh my god! PPL Suk!".

Our real issue is that after pointing out what is wrong, they
A. Get offended and start complaining.
B. Get annoyed and start complaining.
C. The people who blindly praise start complaining.
D. They just ignore us. And then start complaining when we bring it up again.
E. Take the advice. This is what we're looking for, but we haven't seen it in SO long.

It is silly to ignore advice. When Sparta offers to help, members say something along the lines of "It's fine! I'm a gurt righter!". When I point stuff out, I'm accused of being mean. Most members know I'm not. Titan points it out, and he's normally ignored, and writers plainly lie until NooDoo Soup points out the lie. As I've pointed out, there is a specific pattern to what bad writers do around a specific member. They think they can write because people constantly tell them that they can when they obviously stink. And because of this, they have to protect their precious ego, so advice is out of the question.

List of new writers that take advice
1-T.L Drago
2- Maybe two different writers. MAYBE.
That's three. The rest get offended. I bet that in three minutes, I can find six bad stories. In the same amount of time, I MIGHT find two good ones.

Also, when multiple people criticize, it is because the one before missed something. Or they just bandwagon. That's also an issue. IF EVERYTHING HAS BEEN COVERED, LEAVE IT BE!
If you want a forum with good writers, join an actual writing forum. This is a forum for Beyblade. Although the WBO allows you to express yourself through the Your Creations forum, it's not a priority nor should it be.

Gaiaonline is really good for improving your writing for the level that you guys are at. That's how I got better at drawing. You should try going there and see how you fair instead of making complaints here.
But the forum wasn't always like that. Night was a damn good writer, if I recall. There wasn't as many bad stories back in late 2010. Maybe it isn't a priority but a nosedive is a nosedive regardless of how important.
(Sep. 10, 2011  6:40 PM)Temporal Wrote: But the forum wasn't always like that. Night was a damn good writer, if I recall. There wasn't as many bad stories back in late 2010. Maybe it isn't a priority but a nosedive is a nosedive regardless of how important.
Are you kidding me? The forum has been like that since 2009.

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-BeyBlade...-Chapter-2
Unfortunately, that is slightly better than some of the recent stories. I never said that bad stories didn't exist, I said that they didn't appear in waves like they do now.

One case of a worse story: http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-bey-stor...-unleashed
Man, i hope im not one of the carp one...
Anyway, the obvious ones that arent good happens. put it this way though, at least they are brave enough to put it on. Just give the constructive advice, try focus o the good parts a little, and tell them how to improve.
And if there are no "good parts"? When we DO try to be as nice as possible, the terrible writers get angry and start going off.
Yo, that example was from when we only had like, 5,000 members so of course it was not overflooded like it is now. The show wasn't even being aired.

I think the main problem is everyone creates a new topic for each other their work. Why can't you just name topics as

[STORY] Deikailo's Tales

and just include all of my work in the OP if I have more than one piece. Put everything in spoilers. Done. If I want one for my art:

[DRAWING] Deikailo's Doodles

and again, update the OP.

Graphic battles should not have a new topic for everything.
I'm gonna go with DeX.
Children are resistant to things like what we tell them "use better grammar" , "it has no plot, try harder"
The problem is us.
EDIT: I don't feel like making a big fancy post explaining why lol
(Sep. 10, 2011  7:01 PM)Temporal Wrote: And if there are no "good parts"? When we DO try to be as nice as possible, the terrible writers get angry and start going off.

Dont reply then. Or just say "you must have had alot courage to put this on" you know. Something that everything has in common.

(Sep. 10, 2011  7:02 PM)Deikailo Wrote: Yo, that example was from when we only had like, 5,000 members so of course it was not overflooded like it is now. The show wasn't even being aired.

I think the main problem is everyone creates a new topic for each other their work. Why can't you just name topics as

[STORY] Deikailo's Tales

and just include all of my work in the OP if I have more than one piece. Put everything in spoilers. Done. If I want one for my art:

[DRAWING] Deikailo's Doodles

and again, update the OP.

Graphic battles should not have a new topic for everything.

Actually, that is a good idea, for more than just saving space.

One: maybe it will encourage people to use effort, since if you have a beyond terrible story, not many people will read your others.

Two: You don't have crud like some story from back in January called "The Crazy Story!", and thus, less closures.

Three: Criticism can apply to all stories, not just one. Thus, we don't all look like total jerks.

On saying "At least you had courage" is kinda cheap, and is simply the mindless praise we were talking about. Maybe we are the issue by stacking the same points over and over. Which is why one should not post criticism unless one of the three are present:
One: The previous criticism is ignored. In this case, just quote the old post and say "Nothing has changed" or "Still applies"

Two: You have something new to say.

Three: You are referring to a newer chapter. If so, SAY SO.
Maybe if there was a stickied topic called "The WBO Library" where, in the OP, there are completed works of members who have taken the effort to edit their work to make it a legible and entertaining piece. All works would have to be completed and approved by the powers that be in order to be added to the "library".

This would not only encourage people to stay focused on their work and actually complete it, but they will also now have the incentive to actually improve.
Oh, I really like that idea. Run it by a moderator if you already haven't?
I would like that, it would be good, so that you didn't have to search for stories and you can browse the authors
True, and the better ones would be in this "WBO Library" if it works.
Hehe, i can imagine mine now... but also I think it would be good if in the library it only showed the proper reviews and a rating for the altogether story...
(Sep. 10, 2011  8:08 PM)Temporal Wrote: True, and the better ones would be in this "WBO Library" if it works.
Obviously it would have to be good, which is why I stated that only approved work would be available.

We would have to have a judge of what's good...and people don't always agree on things...

Unless it is clear that a majority like it. Then it deserves a place there. Maybe if you have a story you want to be put in there, you make a thread for it and in []<those things (forget what they are) you put [Audition]. If the judge deems it worthy, he/she will put it in there (To even qualify, at least 5 one page chapters must be typed up). Every time the writer updates the story, he/she will add it to their story in the "Library." Either that, or in it there are links to the story threads. That might be easier...
(Sep. 10, 2011  10:32 PM)Sparta Wrote: We would have to have a judge of what's good...and people don't always agree on things...

Unless it is clear that a majority like it. Then it deserves a place there. Maybe if you have a story you want to be put in there, you make a thread for it and in []<those things (forget what they are) you put [Audition]. If the judge deems it worthy, he/she will put it in there (To even qualify, at least 5 one page chapters must be typed up). Every time the writer updates the story, he/she will add it to their story in the "Library." Either that, or in it there are links to the story threads. That might be easier...
And this is why the Your Creations forum is down the toilet. Why would you create a thread when you already have a thread for your story? It's redundant.
Deikailo, your idea on one thread for everything is great. But, isn't there a limit to how many spoilers can be in one post? I'm not sure, though.

On the Library topic, that'd be a good idea, but what mod would do that? They're pretty busy already Uncertain
(Sep. 10, 2011  10:51 PM)NoodooSoup Wrote: Deikailo, your idea on one thread for everything is great. But, isn't there a limit to how many spoilers can be in one post? I'm not sure, though.

On the Library topic, that'd be a good idea, but what mod would do that? They're pretty busy already Uncertain
Moderators can be added to specific forums and subforums. Even if the committee doesn't feel like adding a moderator, they could just have someone volunteer to manage it, their thread gets stickied, and they continuously update the OP.

If there should be a thread like that, then would it not make sense to just post "hey I just finished my story. Many people tell me it's good. Is it worth posting in the library? The Title is _____ and the link to my thread is *link*" Not hard.
I think it would be easier for for someone to else do it-one less thing for them to worry about. Besides, how much do mods know about flow and character development? Maybe a good writer-say, Temporal-should run it. Besides, it's better if one person does it. This way, everyone gets fair judgement.

Unless there should be 2 people to run it. Then ControL_, perhaps.
@ temporal:

all i'm saying is 1 post is enough. All of you last time (technically) bullied this kid with harsh comments. I think thats the problem.
I tried not to. I said what I wanted to, then backed it up by asking if he wanted help.