WBO General: Are Teams Necessary?

Maybe...
I haven't analyzed the WBO General quite well, so I do not know if teams were that highly successful; instead of just 'clubs'.
Another thing is, I am part of a "club" which is probably WAY too successful than expected. This is what inclines me to believe that there would be no problem in the name-change. Smile
An intelligent invitation, somewhat like- "Perth Bladers look here!" would fetch members too. As for fetching new members, the promo card is too good a thing. Once the member is here, the only requirement is to get him to see your thread... That can be done in some or the other way...
Teams get more members, agreed. But isn't that like using a sword to cut a vegetable?
If you do participate in Team Tourneys (which you certainly do not), then calling your thread a team is.... a lie IMO. Unhappy

Teams is just not a technically correct term, tbh. Confused
The reason people prefer the term "Team" over "Club", in this instance, is because most people who have Team threads in the WBO General are trying to act out their Anime aspirations, at least in spirit.

It's also worth mentioning that about 60%+ of the people who post in Team Threads seem to post exclusively in Team Threads, or in the WBO general/Organized Play sections in general, which isn't really a bad thing - just a passing observation.
You all make very good points. We are just a community. I personally am not acting out my anime aspirations to travel the world, battling people from different countries (and knowing me, loosing quite often Tongue_out_wink) but a lot of newer, slightly younger members have not yet grown out of the concept. Thankfully most people of out club/team understand that as we don't have anyone to compete against, there will be no team tourneys. I can also almost guarantee that some 'teams' will not be happy to change their title to 'club' (especially the ones owned by new members).

I will discuss this subject with the other leaders of our team/club at todays meeting.
(Jan. 20, 2012  11:49 AM)Hazel Wrote: The reason people prefer the term "Team" over "Club", in this instance, is because most people who have Team threads in the WBO General are trying to act out their Anime aspirations, at least in spirit.

It's also worth mentioning that about 60%+ of the people who post in Team Threads seem to post exclusively in Team Threads, or in the WBO general/Organized Play sections in general, which isn't really a bad thing - just a passing observation.

Hm..
So anime-influence is clearly visible in this case...
Now I understand. Smile

As for posting exclusively in Team threads, that is not a bad thing; but at the same time, isn't THAT good a thing. I mean, what all would you post/discuss in a Team Thread? Tournaments, Matches, etc. As long as they do not spam, it is good. Agreed. Smile

No one's stopping them from posting there! But what's the use of having such threads in the first place? The members who constitute that 60%+ crowd, probably post there because it is the only place they feel comfortable in. This makes it a much more advanced version of the Introduce Yourself Forum. People resort to blindly posting stuff in whichever thread they please. Teams, should they have been on a more professional-looking basis, would have been amazing. Currently, we have just any other newbie make a team, calling it the best. The gullible lot of people simply join the team on the basis of the false statement of the team being the best.

Should this be restricted, teams are great. If at all you may close down such useless teams, it would be a good move. Yes, it may give way to a lot of opposition from the team owner and a few members. But I think such restrictions are essential.
If some newbie makes a team, let him make it. Should his team seem to be quite useless and unsuccessful for a long period of time, it should be closed. Smile

Only if any of you Mods/Admins could remove some time from your busy schedule to create a stickied thread in the WBO General Forum, stating the rules for the formation of teams... Confused
Otherwise, a more complex and time consuming method would be personally posting in every team, informing the owner that his team can be closed if it is unsuccessful after a certain period of time...
(Jan. 21, 2012  5:27 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: As for posting exclusively in Team threads, that is not a bad thing; but at the same time, isn't THAT good a thing. I mean, what all would you post/discuss in a Team Thread? Tournaments, Matches, etc. As long as they do not spam, it is good. Agreed. Smile
Agreed

(Jan. 21, 2012  5:27 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: No one's stopping them from posting there! But what's the use of having such threads in the first place? The members who constitute that 60%+ crowd, probably post there because it is the only place they feel comfortable in. This makes it a much more advanced version of the Introduce Yourself Forum. People resort to blindly posting stuff in whichever thread they please. Teams, should they have been on a more professional-looking basis, would have been amazing. Currently, we have just any other newbie make a team, calling it the best. The gullible lot of people simply join the team on the basis of the false statement of the team being the best.
Again, agreed. The key is that they feel 'comfortable' in the team thread, because they are around others like themselves; even though they are in a whole forum of beybladers. Newer members just get scared by the spooky blue name dudes (I know I was) and they get the idea that they are on a different league to them. They get the idea that the mods and their posts should not be touched, talked about or even looked at in fear of getting in trouble.

So, they resort to where they feel comfortable. One of the only places practically untouched by the mods. Team threads (the other being the 'Your Creations' forum). They make their home there, and post all the random stuff they think about as if it was a chat room. The team threads need to be better moderated (and I do understand you are busy). But not to a ridiculous extent; like the owner of teams' thread being warned for SPAMing it Speechless

(Jan. 21, 2012  5:27 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: Should this be restricted, teams are great. If at all you may close down such useless teams, it would be a good move. Yes, it may give way to a lot of opposition from the team owner and a few members. But I think such restrictions are essential.
If some newbie makes a team, let him make it. Should his team seem to be quite useless and unsuccessful for a long period of time, it should be closed. Smile
Agreed.

(Jan. 21, 2012  5:27 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: Only if any of you Mods/Admins could remove some time from your busy schedule to create a stickied thread in the WBO General Forum, stating the rules for the formation of teams... Confused
Otherwise, a more complex and time consuming method would be personally posting in every team, informing the owner that his team can be closed if it is unsuccessful after a certain period of time...
I vote for the first option. I know it rely's heavily on you guys making the thread in your own time, but if we are to keep the teams then it may be necessary.
I actually do moderate Team threads, when I have the time and energy available. I can honestly say that the vast majority of them are full of the worst posting habits on this site - between trash talking, chat room-esque "discussions", and meaningless team drama, it's all quite unsettling.

Whenever we do eventually do something with a Team Format, there will be a standardized set of rules that absolutely will be kept and enforced, and obviously posted. Rules are something that all of The Committee have to come together on, but actual enforcement of them is something we can do individually. When that time comes, the disorderly shenanigans team threads of the now will go the way of the Dodo Bird.

With cannons, if necessary.
(Jan. 22, 2012  9:14 AM)Hazel Wrote: I actually do moderate Team threads, when I have the time and energy available. I can honestly say that the vast majority of them are full of the worst posting habits on this site - between trash talking, chat room-esque "discussions", and meaningless team drama, it's all quite unsettling.

Whenever we do eventually do something with a Team Format, there will be a standardized set of rules that absolutely will be kept and enforced, and obviously posted. Rules are something that all of The Committee have to come together on, but actual enforcement of them is something we can do individually. When that time comes, the disorderly shenanigans team threads of the now will go the way of the Dodo Bird.

With cannons, if necessary.

Thanks, Hazel.
That is just what I am looking for.
But unless and until the Team Format is standardized, should these highly-spammed threads be kept?
Who knows, the team format might take a long time before being standardized...
The problem after Team battles are approved is solved already. The problem is, without the existence of such team battles, these teams serve no purpose, except for a dumping ground for spammers. Smile
I don't get why you feel so bothered by the existence of these teams. It's just kids having fun, what's wrong with that? No point in stifling their creativity, especially when it's something that's making them happy and isn't troublesome at all if you simply avoid the topics.
(Jan. 23, 2012  10:25 PM)Zain Wrote: I don't get why you feel so bothered by the existence of these teams. It's just kids having fun, what's wrong with that? No point in stifling their creativity, especially when it's something that's making them happy and isn't troublesome at all if you simply avoid the topics.

We have to moderate those threads, too, you know. It is not as simple as "if you don't like it, don't look at it". Most of them are populated by 70-80% spam posts. "It's just kids having fun" is a wonderful excuse for a lot of insipid things, and the excuse itself is about as stalwart a defense as toilet paper in a gun fight.

I am a supporter of the essentially useless "teams", because it makes kids feel special and helps them gain new friends. What I do not support is meaningless trash talking about whose team is best when 90% of them aren't actually doing anything worth claiming being the "best" at, along with people just pretending their Team Thread is just a little chat room that is not subject to the rest of the board's posting standards.
The discussion seemed to be veering towards whether or not the teams should actually be allowed to exist, rather than the content of their threads being moderated. They should be subject to the same rules as the rest of the board, but to 'close down' on teams that seem like they don't have a bright future ahead of them is too harsh. That's what I mean when I say it's just kids having fun.

Also, what is up with the terrible analogies in this thread. First we get cutting vegetables with a sword, and now we have not so stalwart defensive toilet paper being used in a gun fight, lol
I fully understand why most people do not think they should exist, to be entirely honest. That section of the board has essentially become the Neighborhood of Make Believe, with a very minor side of actual site functionality. It's simple to see why people would not like that...

Also, the analogies used fit perfectly - I'm not sure what makes them "terrible". Interpretation, perhaps...
Those team threads annoy the hell out of me, honestly, but I feel like that's my problem and shouldn't affect the kids who are just having a good time. It's not their fault I'm a grumpy adult. I'm saying we were all young once, it's not like they're doing it to annoy us. Like you said, they're all acting their anime fantasies out and they're having a good time. Moderating the threads and even enforcing new rules on post quality is fine, but to break up teams or pretty much shatter their cheer isn't.

The analogies aren't terrible then, but they're still pretty bad hahaha
(Jan. 23, 2012  10:25 PM)Zain Wrote: I don't get why you feel so bothered by the existence of these teams. It's just kids having fun, what's wrong with that? No point in stifling their creativity, especially when it's something that's making them happy and isn't troublesome at all if you simply avoid the topics.
I guess that is true. The only problem is those team threads are full of trash talk and spam. People tell them not to, they just say "don't spam, you got warned" next second they go "ok" then they get warned. They may have fun, but what fun are they having, i mean they haven't been to a tournament or even had a meet up. It's just like making a chat room where you use slang and spam ok.
Trash talk and spam? please Team Shadow Nova has barely any
It is cool if there are two exceptions, but open your eyes : there are probably fifty other team topics.
(Jan. 24, 2012  3:08 PM)Kai-V Wrote: It is cool if there are two exceptions, but open your eyes : there are probably fifty other team topics.

And those, are the only problems...
If we may simply limit the establishment of new teams for now, things will go alright.
We must also clean up those "fifty other teams"...
But at the same time, what Hazel said is completely correct. Its not easy to initiate this plan without hurting the sentiments of team leaders/members.
But I think this is essential...

As I said before, the problem is solved as soon as the committee standardizes Team tourneys.
But until then, things should be restricted. Formation of teams on this forum at the moment, is similar to speculations around a new release. If the latter is not allowed, why the former?
I think team members should try to understand. Staying within a small, unimportant team which hardly holds 2-3 members is unhealthy attitude towards a community. Go ahead and communicate with people all around the world; instead of staying within a minute circle of people belonging to your own country! OK, it is more easier said than done.

No one's stopping you from joining these so-called teams. What I look forward to is, no more formation of teams.
If the only thing newbies expect from these 'teams' is to have their fellow countrymen around, why not have a single thread for the whole country, like we (the Indians) have? Or, if you all belong to a country where Beyblade is played on a relatively larger scale, have threads for different states/cities. But not unnecessarily. Teams are nothing but a small community where the thread starter (who is of course the team owner) acts as if he is the most revered personality around here... Better teams do not have this, and we are not even concerned with such teams (UniquE, Shadow Nova, etc.) as they are not bad.

So the first step which should be taken IMO, is to restrict the creation of new teams from hereon. Even if its for a certain time period, it would be great. Within that time, some blued-user could post a thread. Smile
Hazel said that the thread would certainly be created once Team Tourneys are approved(if I interpreted his post correctly). But, the main purpose of the thread is to set the rules for team-making/managing now. Once Team Tourneys are approved, a new thread could always be made; or at the most, the Team-making/managing thread could be reused by editing the OP and thread name. Smile

I know, its easier said than done, but if any of the Committee Members are reading this, I'd be looking forward to hearing your views about this. Smile
I agree wth Jan

We need a Team Thread Format, like the Cust forum's testing format.

so like this? ex. Team Shadow Nova
Thread Title: [Indonesia] Team Shadow Nova [Status, recruiting, invite only, closed, etc)]

Body:

Introduction
(include ranks and userbar for the team)
Team Members
-list-
Team Meetings:
-update with every meeting-
(if open)Application form, sent via PM
Real Name (easier in real life situ)

just an example. and maybe some special members.
for example. Shika blade is retired yet still the CoS for Team Shadow Nova, Kaskus is now the Vice-General etc.

and also maybe a standardized ranking format?
General
Vice-General
Chief of Staff
Commanders
Captains
Members

but Team Shadow Nova does have the SpecialOPerations branch.

So?
No, that is not what I meant.
Most teams that we have follow a respectable format, which remains prevalent only for the first few days. After that, its just for show.
What I mean is, certain regulations should be set up. If a Team Owner is unable to maintain discipline in his team, his team is subject to be closed down. Or, if for a certain time period(for example- 3 months), he does not get more than a certain number of members(for example- 10 members), then his team may be closed.

What you said, is just a formality; and not a format.
You simply made it easier for Team makers. If I were one of them, I would just copy paste your post there.
My work's done, and now my Team is approved as it follows a format. No. That's certainly not what I meant. Smile
To be honest, in my opinion, I think "teams" are good, because when you really think of it, they have people that are your friends and teammates and they care about you and boost your battle performance. They boost your battle performance because they help you wherever you are, whatever battle you're in, in spirit with you and your bey.
Agreed.
But, do we really need "teams" for that?
People(except for your opponent of course) would still support you in tourneys by cheering for you.
There's nothing wrong in having teams and team mates, mind you. Smile
What is wrong is, too many teams having too few team mates...
Now, how can you explain that?
As of now, teams are simply not required keeping in mind that WBO hasn't approved team matches.
But if all they do is provide comfort to members, boost their confidence, etc. ; I would actually opt for a single "team"(i.e. club) for the whole country. It would serve the same purpose, and larger the group, greater the increase in confidence of a person of being a part of such a group.
This would curb the practice of making a new team for nonsensical purposes; especially when there's one thread providing it all.
A single team for an entire country? Are you serious? Even a single team for an entire state would be pushing it. There are bigger issues out there to deal with, the creation of teams does not need to be policed. This is a game that kids play because it's fun, don't forget that. There's absolutely no need to suck the fun out it.

A group that's too large is disjointed and uncoordinated. You can't call it a team anymore because the interpersonal relations aren't as close. A team is a creation that gives these kids belonging and also increases their competitive nature which is good for the game. I say the more teams there are, the better. It's more likely to attract new kids to the game if they feel like they can be part of a team.

There is nothing, not even a shred of productivity in abolishing teams. It's an infringement on creativity.
Maybe even that would be pushing it. Maybe a team per state/area.
I think it would be a little unfair to get rid of the teams. Why not keep the teams section and have one respected member who isn't a moderator already to moderate just that section?
Personally i think joining a team is a good idea, since that way you can make new friends, as well as getting warned by the rest of your team about tournaments,in fact there is a Tour NOT tournament in the trafford center on the 13th February at the orient way, my team can't go thoughCrying.
My team is the beyblasters with Apple1075 as the leader.
I think that we can all agree that they currently serve no purpose than to keep contacts between members more active and help them organize tournaments or gatherings. In the future, it may be interesting for there to be tag teams, which I realize has been reiterated many times before. However, it is not likely to occur anytime soon, everything there is to say about this has basically been summarized by hazel, via post #2

In the end, it is a matter of opinion.