WBO General: Are Teams Necessary?

In Jakarta, Team Shadow Nova is more undercover, we do have high ranking members in the WBBA/WBO community but yeah.

I think a sub-forum with team leaders that have shown their team to be effective and growing as mods for that forum only would help
(Jan. 25, 2012  6:13 PM)Zain Wrote: A single team for an entire country? Are you serious? Even a single team for an entire state would be pushing it. There are bigger issues out there to deal with, the creation of teams does not need to be policed. This is a game that kids play because it's fun, don't forget that. There's absolutely no need to suck the fun out it.

A group that's too large is disjointed and uncoordinated. You can't call it a team anymore because the interpersonal relations aren't as close. A team is a creation that gives these kids belonging and also increases their competitive nature which is good for the game. I say the more teams there are, the better. It's more likely to attract new kids to the game if they feel like they can be part of a team.

There is nothing, not even a shred of productivity in abolishing teams. It's an infringement on creativity.

First point- Agreed.
I always keep on forgetting that its just my country where things happen on a smaller scale. Tee number of members you guys might find in your city might be greater than the number of members in our whole country. Hence I ended up with the idea of a team for the whole country; which is of course wrong from many others' point of view. Smile

Other points- Disagree.
I do see people getting involved into teams. But having too many of those might be a problem, as it is now. I really do not mind the quantity, what I mind is quality. There may be a thousand teams at present. But out of those, only about 20-30 might be functioning well. I am not asking for teams to be abolished altogether.
What I am asking for is, abolishing useless teams. More than four-fifths of the teams here, serve no purpose. I have always been supporting good teams such as UniquE. But for one good team, there are 100 bad ones. And as they say, stand among the bad lot, and you'll be looked down upon too. That's the reason why on basis of generality, sometimes my posts in this thread(in which I speak of teams in general) seem to be misunderstood. Smile
Moreover, I find most teams being used as a cocoon... People make one when they feel insecure around here, and then one fine day, they simply leave that team... This is BAD. If you have a team, be serious about it.
If some teams are serious, they either lack enough members, or they drift into some other unimportant direction...
Such teams are similar to the outlaw-ish towns we have so often seen in movies; the team owner playing Sheriff, while other members being outlaws.

I am not stopping people from making a team. Make a team. But, make sure that your team serves some purpose. Smile

Afterthought(just an afterthought, not directed towards anyone/anything here)- I am against the concept of teams from the very beginning. I believe in independent existence, tbh. But yeah, there are many people who need others to make them feel comfortable. But that does not mean that you spend all of your time with those people. Spread out your wings, get into the open! There are people from each and every country here! If you would dare to get out of your shell, you will get a lot of things to learn! Grin
It is quite important these days to communicate with people throughout the world. And this is the best opportunity to do so.
I also think that staying around only with the people belonging to your region/country is an unhealthy attitude towards a worldwide community like this.
(Jan. 25, 2012  6:19 PM)Cygnus Wrote: Maybe even that would be pushing it. Maybe a team per state/area.
Yes i do agree with at there Cyngus. We could have a team for each state because it will be easier to communicate. eg. Going to tournaments and have a meet up. But what will those teams do? Who will they verse or is it just a group of friends who just act normal and just talk like they do everyday?

EDIT: I'm not sure if we should have teams anymore as most of the teams just sit there and do nothing and just let their thread die. They will just verse the same people all the time and that will be boring.
(Jan. 27, 2012  11:13 AM)NaLu Wrote:
(Jan. 25, 2012  6:19 PM)Cygnus Wrote: Maybe even that would be pushing it. Maybe a team per state/area.
Yes i do agree with at there Cyngus. We could have a team for each state because it will be easier to communicate. eg. Going to tournaments and have a meet up. But what will those teams do? Who will they verse or is it just a group of friends who just act normal and just talk like they do everyday?

EDIT: I'm not sure if we should have teams anymore as most of the teams just sit there and do nothing and just let their thread die. They will just verse the same people all the time and that will be boring.

Exactly.
I've been trying to put forward the same point throughout.
Leave aside the topic of how huge a team should be. Why to have teams in the first place, especially when more than half of those do nothing...
It really depends on the Team Leader and area community

For example, Shadow Nova suffered a lot during the first 4 months after creation. I couldn't get any members. THEN when I made friends with Facebook WBO Beybladers, Shadow Nova went BOOM! We grew from a 7 man team to the largest in Indonesia (IIRC) we took in 3 other teams. Now, we still are active in the WBO and WBBA powerhouses, Kaskus is now ranked in the top 100 for the WBO and is the Vice-General for Shadow Nova. wpardin, the first tournament organizer for Jakarta is a S2VIP member in Shadow Nova. I asked, I recruited, I invited, Kaskus helped, others requested to join.

It's community and leaders that make or break. As far as I know, Rai is a lone wolf where he lives, only beyblader there, A HUGE WASTE TO MAKE A TEAM. He has the leadership skills, but NOT the community! it's a mix of both. We need to find areas with both. Surabaya is a perfect example; Fight Club, headed by Uwik, it's the main (and IIRC only) Beyblade club in Surabaya. Uwik took the time, I took the time, S.D.C. took the time. Leaders and Community both matter, not one or the other
(Jan. 27, 2012  4:06 PM)Izuma Inzori Wrote: It really depends on the Team Leader and area community

For example, Shadow Nova suffered a lot during the first 4 months after creation. I couldn't get any members. THEN when I made friends with Facebook WBO Beybladers, Shadow Nova went BOOM! We grew from a 7 man team to the largest in Indonesia (IIRC) we took in 3 other teams. Now, we still are active in the WBO and WBBA powerhouses, Kaskus is now ranked in the top 100 for the WBO and is the Vice-General for Shadow Nova. wpardin, the first tournament organizer for Jakarta is a S2VIP member in Shadow Nova. I asked, I recruited, I invited, Kaskus helped, others requested to join.

It's community and leaders that make or break. As far as I know, Rai is a lone wolf where he lives, only beyblader there, A HUGE WASTE TO MAKE A TEAM. He has the leadership skills, but NOT the community! it's a mix of both. We need to find areas with both. Surabaya is a perfect example; Fight Club, headed by Uwik, it's the main (and IIRC only) Beyblade club in Surabaya. Uwik took the time, I took the time, S.D.C. took the time. Leaders and Community both matter, not one or the other
But the only thing is your the only team that does this. What do the other teams do??

Our whole point is, What do you do? Do you battle anyone or just have little chats??

(Jan. 27, 2012  11:57 PM)NaLu Wrote: But the only thing is your the only team that does this. What do the other teams do??

Our whole point is, What do you do? Do you battle anyone or just have little chats??

And my point is, why do you have such a problem with it? Even if they only have little chats, how is it affecting you? If you don't like it, don't read the topics. Izuma told you that in the first 4 months, his team was nothing, and now it's one of the most successful teams in the WBO. All teams will start like this, you have to give them a chance to thrive. How are the good teams going to be able to survive without competition? That's the whole point of teams.

I'm sorry but it's ridiculous to suggest that the WBO ban teams. Teams have ALWAYS been a part of beyblade.

Janstar Wrote:I am against the concept of teams from the very beginning. I believe in independent existence, tbh. But yeah, there are many people who need others to make them feel comfortable.

There's no need to be so condescending. They're not in teams because they're insecure or lack social confidence, they're in teams because it's fun. It's a good way of forming friendships and creating healthy competition. Team play is much more exciting than individual play, the feeling of being part of a group where everyone pulls their own weight makes the game more fun compared to individual play. Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but ask all of these kids who have created a team and you'll get the same answer.

It's beyond ridiculous to even consider banning teams. There's no point in it. You keep saying that teams serve no purpose but they do: they're allowing these kids to have a whole lot of fun. What would be the gain from banning the creation of teams? That you'd be less annoyed from a topic you don't even have to click on in the first place?

I seriously hope the admins aren't thinking about banning the teams. It would alienate a LOT of beybladers and drastically lower the reputation of the WBO. At the end of the day, Beyblades are for fun. If you ban teams you risk losing that fun factor.

I am with Zain on this.

The way I see it is, you are doing more harm getting rid of the teams, than what harm these guys are doing for having them here. They're causing no harm, and to take away something from them that they find fun and adventurous isn't fair play.
i have read every post here and know everybody who has posted here's oppinion so now for mine. before reading this i thought teams that just accepted random people who wanted to join no mater where they lived were useless topics just sitting there untoched because it was mostly not breaking the rules excluding the spam, witch is against the rules anywhere. after reading this, i have grown less strogly over my veiw, but i know that they need to be stuctured better. i have my own team, the immortals, witch is one of the only few teams on this site that battle other teams before or after tournaments, witch is what i beleve teams should be about, battleing other teams. we have alot of these in Australia, mainly in Sydney and Melbourne and has almost become another format of game play. i love these kind of teams and support them. if tournaments between teams was alowed, it would raise the number of these kind of teams and lower more of the little teams that don't realy have a point. teams are seen as a community, a group people can join, but i want to see teams as teams, people that meet up, train and battle together and not some group that people chat together, but they still support the world of beyblade so we cant get rid of them.

in summery, i think that teams aren't entirely necessary but will always be there and never should be banned, but encoraged to an extent where people make proper teams that are organised and fun, not slow, small, full of spam posts and on the verge of collapse before they even started.
(Jan. 27, 2012  4:06 PM)Izuma Inzori Wrote:
Let's not forget that Shadow Nova is a branch of Omega Nova Grin
Though seriously, you guys may be under our name and guidance but you are a fully fledged team in yourselves. Now if only we could get ANTS worked out soon... O.o

I don't think we need to worry about teams being shut down, I think we agreed on the first page it would have a negative impact on the community to just cut all teams off. We need to have that standardisation that Jan has been talking about.

As for a team per state, it would be easy here in WA. Omega Nova is the only team around, we function fine. But as for other states with large blading communities, I can't say :\

I think this is what we need to do:
  • Make a Forum specifically for Team Threads
  • Make a Stickied Thread within the Forum that explains and outlines the rules of making a team, and the consequences/risks of doing so. This will ensure that all team leaders will be aware of the rules by reading the thread, and if they don't read the thread they probably won't be very good leader's anywho
  • Designate special moderators to the Forum to keep it SPAM free. I say use designated moderators for the Forum so that other mods don't waste their time fixing this Forum if it goes wrong, and looking after the more important parts of the site. The special moderators will be able to close, reopen, warn users, delete posts etc. if needed to keep the forum safe

Any additions? have I missed anything?

(Jan. 28, 2012  12:26 AM)Zain Wrote:
Janstar Wrote:I am against the concept of teams from the very beginning. I believe in independent existence, tbh. But yeah, there are many people who need others to make them feel comfortable.

There's no need to be so condescending. They're not in teams because they're insecure or lack social confidence, they're in teams because it's fun. It's a good way of forming friendships and creating healthy competition. Team play is much more exciting than individual play, the feeling of being part of a group where everyone pulls their own weight makes the game more fun compared to individual play. Yes, it's a matter of opinion, but ask all of these kids who have created a team and you'll get the same answer.

It's beyond ridiculous to even consider banning teams. There's no point in it. You keep saying that teams serve no purpose but they do: they're allowing these kids to have a whole lot of fun. What would be the gain from banning the creation of teams? That you'd be less annoyed from a topic you don't even have to click on in the first place?

I seriously hope the admins aren't thinking about banning the teams. It would alienate a LOT of beybladers and drastically lower the reputation of the WBO. At the end of the day, Beyblades are for fun. If you ban teams you risk losing that fun factor.

Hey Zain, I said it was an afterthought, and had nothing to do with this thread. Smile
It was just my belief, and I just thought of sharing it. I do not mean to ban teams. Please read my posts. I never said ban teams as a whole. I just want the Forum to get rid of teams which do not function today.

Here is one of NaLu's post, which gives a short summary of what I have been trying to say from the day this thread started-

NaL Wrote:But what will those teams do? Who will they verse or is it just a group of friends who just act normal and just talk like they do everyday?

The teams which "do nothing and let their thread die" are the ones which I think should be out.
Other teams, which actually serve some purpose, are not my target at all! Grin
Now, if you have something to say, to defend these teams which "do nothing and let their thread die", I'd like to hear it.
Maybe there is something in these teams too, which I fail to see. Smile

S.D. Wrote:Make a Stickied Thread within the Forum that explains and outlines the rules of making a team, and the consequences/risks of doing so. This will ensure that all team leaders will be aware of the rules by reading the thread, and if they don't read the thread they probably won't be very good leader's anywho

Again, just what I have been trying to suggest. Probably the most effective weapon. Smile
(Jan. 28, 2012  4:43 AM)S.D.C Wrote:
(Jan. 27, 2012  4:06 PM)Izuma Inzori Wrote:

IMO, NO! This really is the key (IMO!)
(Jan. 28, 2012  12:32 AM)ljadams9 Wrote: I am with Zain on this.

The way I see it is, you are doing more harm getting rid of the teams, than what harm these guys are doing for having them here. They're causing no harm, and to take away something from them that they find fun and adventurous isn't fair play.
Well i can see clearly you have not seen those team threads. If you make some spare time and actually look at team threads they are full of SPAM. (not all the team threads) .

Maybe we can make a specific place for all The team threads. And how is it adventurous when most of the teams just sit there and let there thread die and revive it with n unnecessary post? And even if they were to battle it wouldn't be fun battling the same teams?? Right?
(Jan. 29, 2012  12:55 AM)NaLu Wrote:
(Jan. 28, 2012  12:32 AM)ljadams9 Wrote: I am with Zain on this.

Well i can see clearly you have not seen those team threads. If you make some spare time and actually look at team threads they are full of SPAM. (not all the team threads) .

Maybe we can make a specific place for all The team threads. And how is it adventurous when most of the teams just sit there and let there thread die and revive it with n unnecessary post? And even if they were to battle it wouldn't be fun battling the same teams?? Right?
Well I can see clearly that you have not thoroughly read this thread, as that suggestion has been brought up many times. I even included it in my last post of what I thought we should do about the teams.

And I beg to disagree. Battling the same teams can be fun. If you loose to someone at a team tourney (obviously unofficial) and at the next tourney you beat them, you feel a great sense of pride at improving your skills, and being a member of a team you know you also helped out your team. I doubt it would get old.
DUH! Agreed, just have a separate forum and separate mods for it
teams are necessary, i mean why not? you can make good friends who have all have something in common (beyblade), they can tell you about events and if you fall out you can always leave the group!
(Jan. 25, 2012  6:02 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: Agreed.
But, do we really need "teams" for that?
People(except for your opponent of course) would still support you in tourneys by cheering for you.
There's nothing wrong in having teams and team mates, mind you. Smile
What is wrong is, too many teams having too few team mates...
Now, how can you explain that?
As of now, teams are simply not required keeping in mind that WBO hasn't approved team matches.
But if all they do is provide comfort to members, boost their confidence, etc. ; I would actually opt for a single "team"(i.e. club) for the whole country. It would serve the same purpose, and larger the group, greater the increase in confidence of a person of being a part of such a group.
This would curb the practice of making a new team for nonsensical purposes; especially when there's one thread providing it all.
Well, if teams have too few teammates, then you can sort of "tell" that they're doing something wrong, or just not reaching out to enough bladers in the community.

But a single team for a country? No. That would be impossible to do. Because you should really have it in parts of the country or regions of cities. Because if there was ONE team, there would too big of a travel expense for some bladers as I see it.
Samantha- Hey, as of now, teams are just clubs where people chat around. So, travel expenses are out of the picture.
As for my suggesting a team for a whole country, I already clarified my reasons to say so. Smile
I mistakenly believed all countries to be similar to India (which they are probably not; but you know, humans tend to do that. Tongue_out), where there are too few bladers. Your city might be having more bladers than in our country. So, that was probably an error from my side. Smile
I wish people would thoroughly read the whole of this thread before posting. Most of the idea's and points that are being brought up have already been spoken about and discussed...
I find myself wondering if this thread was necessary to begin with, but in its current state, the answer seems to most definitely be "no"... I am not sure I'm fine with letting this just sit for people to chime in every few days with an opinion that is a poorly-worded version of something someone else already coughed up.

Especially being that this is not a voting booth.
It seems you may be right Hazel. The whole point of this thread was to discuss if they were necessary or not, and I think the majority of us do agree that they are not necessary (to put it simply).

At least though, we now have an idea of what we think should be done about the teams as well, so something has come out of all this discussion
Oh yes, that's true.
I probably spammed this discussion more than anyone else, sometimes to lay emphasis on my previously laid down points; sometimes to defend myself, etc. So, I am to be blamed the most...
But yeah, at least something came out of this thread. But yeah, that "something", certainly didn't deserve 4 pages, tbh.
I am sorry for that!
I think teams are just fine I mean they do it in the show and usally when people in the show aren't on a team they end up down the gutter and it's the same in real life I mean indavidual bladers are sucessful buts it's nice to know that you got people with you that are bladers that are all for you and they support you and that you have someone to pratice with and battle with.
Also I agree with Zain
I am going to go ahead and close this thread, but leave it here for people to read...