The music of old vs the music of today

Well, I tried searching for this kind of thread but didn't find one so I thought I'd make it as this is something that really, really bugs me.

When I think of today's pop culture, I feel like a lot of it is manufactured whereas back in the 30s-50s things felt more... real. Hell, even up til the 90s we were still good. Now, I'm not saying that music today is garbage, there's still some good artists out there. What I am saying is that there are different requirements to become famous these days.

In the olden days, singers were famous because they could sing. Their popularity was a result of their natural, raw talent. Today we have singers who aren't very talented but are famous AND successful because they've got the 'image'. The focus is on beautiful people rather than beautiful voices. Singers like Katy Perry embody the shallowness of pop culture today, in my opinion. She's the kind of person who can get away with singing songs that'd make Pamela Anderson blush whilst still having a target audience of tween girls. She focuses much more on her appearance than her singing. There's a lot of other singers like her too such as Britney Spears and Ke$sha but Katy Perry is probably the worst.

I really started listening to old songs after playing games like Fallout 3 and Bioshock, in which they feature heavily as they're both retro-futuristic... well Bioshock isn't technically retro-futuristic BUT THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT. I was AMAZED when I first heard these songs. They felt real. They didn't feel manufactured, it felt like the singers poured their heart and soul into the song. The lyrics are well thought out. Right now I will write some lyrics off the top of my head, the first lyrics that come to mind (being serious) and we can compare:

Ink Spots- My Prayer

My prayer is to linger with you
At the end of the day
In a dream that's divine

My prayer is a rapture in blue
With the world far away
And your lips close to mine

Justin Bieber- Baby

Baby, baby, baby
Ohhhhhh
Baby, baby, baby
Ohhhhhhh
Baby, baby, baby
Ohhhhhhh

(Honestly though, give Justin Bieber a break. He's a good kid and a good role model for his fanbase)

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

Southern trees bear a strange fruit
Blood on the leaves
And blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Ke$ha- Tik Tok

I'm talking pedicure on our toes, toes
Trying on all our clothes, clothes
Boys blowing up our phones, phones
Drop-toppin and playin my favourite CDs
Pulling up to the parties
Tryin' to get a little bit tipsy

Frank Sinatra- That's life

As funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks
Stompin' on a dream
But I don't let it, let it get me down
Cos this fine ol' world, it keeps spinnin' around

Justin Timberlake- Damn girl

Don't need no maybelline
Cos you a beauty queen
Don't need no L'oreal
Cos b**** you're bad as hell

Ella Fitzgerald- Into each life

Into each life
Some rain must fall
But too much, too much is falling in mine
Into each heart, some tears must fall
But some day, the sun will shine
Some folks can lose
The blues in their heart
But when I think of you
Another shower starts

Nicki Minaj- Super bass

I said, excuse me you're a hell of a guy
I mean my, my, my, my you're like pelican fly
I mean, you're so shy and I'm loving your tie
You're like slicker than the guy with the thing on his eye, oh

Not gonna include any hip-hop lyrics because 90% of the songs are total trash. I used to like hip hop until I grew up and listened to the lyrics, none of which are appropriate to post here.

Again, I'm not saying that all current pop music is bad, but I think most of it is devoid of any kind of lyrical value. People aren't trying as hard as they used to.

Opinions?

By the way people, let's not start a flame war. If you don't agree, let it be known but be civilised! I just think it's an interesting topic and I apologise if I've offended anyone by slagging off their favourite artists.

Hey, I agree that the actual talent of people in the past was far greater. I even usually enjoy music from the past more. However, I've come to realize that for me, I hadn't given new songs a chance. I had learned about music appreciation about five years ago, and never really gave it any thought. I realize now that I actually do enjoy a lot of new stuff. I think it was because in my weight training class there was always music on, and it was always new stuff. I just danced and enjoyed it without caring what it was, who it was from, and when it was from; and that's what I think is most important. Very recently, I came across an artist named e-dubble. Now, it's my favourite music, and I had no idea I would enjoy freestyle rap.

Yeah so that's my opinion. I listen to music as a music appreciation deal, so I just enjoy what plays!

This is a pretty cool topic, and actually something I've been giving some thought recently!
I stopped reading at (Honestly though, give Justin Bieber a break. He's a good kid and a good role model for his fanbase)

Anyway, I agree with what you're saying. Half the music today is carp. Most of the songs in games that are just instrumental are better than a lot of songs today.

ts;dr I'd rather listen to Billie Jean by MJ than Friday by Rebecca Black.

lol dude I seriously believe that though, I don't understand why everyone hates Justin Bieber. He's talented and a good role model, yet everyone on the internet has to flame him on youtube in completely unrelated videos. Personally, I think it stems from jealousy. Anyway..

Shabalabadoo- Yeah, there's no denying that there's good music out today, we have people like Adele who are amazing singers, and Zooey Deschanel should take up singing full time cos her voice is awesome, but both have singing styles reminiscent of the 30s-50s so maybe I'm a little biased... What you said about the gym reminded me of how I associated certain songs with the gym and started enjoying them even more based on how well the workout went. It's weird how we tie songs up to memories, makes it harder to judge.

For example, most of the beyblade songs are kind of bad but I LOVE them because they remind me of my childhood. Songs that I've used as an alarm at some point are despised by me now cos I remember waking up for school cos of them! Still, if I could listen to two songs by semi comparable artists from the olden days to the present, I think the olden day artist would win out everytime. I just like the feel of those songs, they're all very touching and REAL in an emotional sense. If anyone's interested, give the Ink Spots a listen, their songs 'I don't want to set the world on fire' and 'Maybe' are two of my favourite songs ever. They're not too well-known but their song 'If I didn't care' was featured in Shawshank Redemption and fit the scene amazingly, intense stuff! Whenever I see a movie scene with an old song in it it's always much more emotional.

IHateNoobs- I'm glad you agree but you can't compare this generation's worst song to MJ's best song LOL
Yeah those music you posted in the first post are good too. I really like Justin Bieber's Baby and One Time.
Another one would be Snoop Dog, David Guetta and the girl who sings Titanium. I also like Daft Punk and other rock bands too. When you talk about Anime songs, I like Boku Quest by Golden Bomber, Braving by Kanan, Masterpiece by Mihimaru GT and Longing Fressia by DaizyStripper. All those anime songs are from Yu Gi Oh Zexal which I am still watching.
(Mar. 07, 2012  11:13 AM)SK Wrote: edit: the dude above me called daft punk rock. i've lost all faith in the new generation now.

I said and other rock bands not Daft Punk
"Up to the 90's"

Yeah well there were the 80's before that. Heck, even in the 60's there were these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees

Music has always been rather manufactured, just like people revere the ages of classical music for impeccable taste, it's all selective memory in a cultural sense.

I'm way too tired to go into this stuff, so this is going to sound like a drunken ramble...

Yeah music could be a lot better, but that's why we have hands and voices and instruments and heads and bodies and yeah. Don't like it? MAKE YOUR OWN! That's the beauty of it.
(Mar. 13, 2012  7:14 PM)th!nk Wrote: "Up to the 90's"

Yeah well there were the 80's before that. Heck, even in the 60's there were these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monkees

Music has always been rather manufactured, just like people revere the ages of classical music for impeccable taste, it's all selective memory in a cultural sense.

I'm way too tired to go into this stuff, so this is going to sound like a drunken ramble...

Yeah music could be a lot better, but that's why we have hands and voices and instruments and heads and bodies and yeah. Don't like it? MAKE YOUR OWN! That's the beauty of it.

Make my own?! What if I can't sing as well as Frank Sinatra or Bing Crosby!

I rely on the people with the talent to make the good music Wink but man, if I could sing as well as those guys you better believe I'd have like 10 albums.

Music today is different. It's more adapted to a "modern" society.
I dislike it.
Music, used to mean something. There are plenty of artists who can still pump out some music that still has meaning behind it. Many more in my opinion however, do not.
Getting into the music industry isn't necessarily a "cakewalk" but it isn't the hardest thing on the planet to do. Many artists nowadays I'm sure get into just by looks.
Lyrics as I've said above, don't really mean much anymore. Contracts are what are the death of artists. I mean, take a look at some of your comparisons. Both artists probably both had contracts, however the one over the other wasn't in it for money, and was most likely there to make 'actual' music.
Can't really say I'm not biased, and I'm sure a lot of the stuff I said is true isn't, but yeah, totally agree with you.
Justin Bieber is good, but overrated. He's a good singer and all, but the reason he's hated on is because screaming girlz who have caused stampedes and tried to attack JB on stage.

One Direction is good, but people are thinking they are the next British Invasion when they aren't very different than Big Time Rush or The Naked Brothers Band.

Coldplay, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin and U2 are mah favorite bands.

Taylor Swift, Lady GaGa (Famemonster, duh.), and Paul Mccartney are mah favorite singahs.
Hmmm....Tough.
I'd say the old ones are more natural and less autotuned (with a tip of the hat to Rebecca Black...
But the new ones are more energetic.
That's hard.
I'll root for old!
True much. One Direction being compared to the Beatles is horrible.

I like old music more. The sheer meaning and raw talent is really better than words thrown together with bad words or negative meanings. I love old music and I seriously don't get why people prefer rap than the '30 - '90 generation. I still like some bands in this generation though. Bands like Coldplay and One Republic should take over (maybe even the British Invasion but NO ONE can be better than the Beatles) the music scene. Things would be much better.
Yeah lets compare bad new bands to time-tested classics.

Your parameters are a little biased there.
A lot of pop music does have no point. I just listen to Dubstep because they dont have dumb lyrics. But Dubstep doesnt have lyrics. Smile
(Mar. 20, 2012  10:03 AM)Blazeburn Wrote: A lot of pop music does have no point. I just listen to Dubstep because they dont have dumb lyrics. But Dubstep doesnt have lyrics. Smile

[Image: picard-facepalm.jpg]

The Black Keys are trying to bring back bar fight music or something, I kind like it. "Howlin' for you" reminds me of a fast paced rock from the 80's.

Depeche Mode is relatively popular with adults around here, "enjoy the silence" is probably my favorite of theirs.
I completely agree with the first post. This is why I listen to Coldplay. I want to listen to music that will give me goosebumps, and make me smile by how much I like it. Not that pop trash that everybody obsesses over. If you ask me, bands like Coldplay are the greatest thing that has happened to modern music. Yes, the Mylo Xyloto album has changed their sound quite a bit, but you can still hear classic Coldplay in there.

I absolutely hate Lady Gaga. I don't know why anybody would even support her.

I'm the kid that likes late 90's - mid 2000's music.
Smash Mouth was one of my elementary school day bands I listened to regularly.

Until they failed a challenge on a forum of some site I won't mention due to broad category.
Wait, Bey-Heart, Coldplay are one of the most popular bands in modern music. How does that even remotely support the first post, if your favourite band is in fact a modern one, that are extremely popular?

Selective evidence is fun, and I'll have a rather nice counter-argument for you all soon (protip: bad music and people succeeding on looks has basically ALWAYS been a thing. Top of the Pops, Countdown, go watch). It just takes a little time to write up and find all the lyrics, because bad songs don't get remembered.

I still dont see what you hate about dubstep,th!nk
WAH WAH WAH WUBWUBWUBWUB WUBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB WIGGA WUB WAHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*silence*
REPEAT

Yeah, I totally don't see what he doesn't like about a "tune" and not "music"..
The facepalm was about your post, not dubstep.
(Mar. 21, 2012  7:53 AM)Raigeko13 Wrote: WAH WAH WAH WUBWUBWUBWUB WUBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB WIGGA WUB WAHHHHH WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*silence*
REPEAT

Yeah, I totally don't see what he doesn't like about a "tune" and not "music"..

You win a free Internet!
One thing I would add though (even if this thread is pretty old and i haven't posted for years) is that an awful lot of the music from the 60s 70s or whatever era you would like to pick is awful. For every band from those decades that was great there are hundreds more that were terrible. Only compare this decade with them when you have the benefit of 40 years of hindsight Tongue_out
personally i like older music because it actualy uses instruments not digital sound made to sound like a guitar or drum set, in my opinion the music of today is more sythisized and technological than real
(Mar. 21, 2012  8:06 PM)Benkei Wrote: One thing I would add though (even if this thread is pretty old and i haven't posted for years) is that an awful lot of the music from the 60s 70s or whatever era you would like to pick is awful. For every band from those decades that was great there are hundreds more that were terrible. Only compare this decade with them when you have the benefit of 40 years of hindsight Tongue_out

Thankyou!

I've actually got some songs lined up that exemplify this, I just need to write up the post, haha.

deep Blue: Most recorded guitar is actual guitars, drums depend on the genre.