R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Do You Know What it Means?

Respect is important, even here when posting. When you respect people, people respect you, and they listen to you more.
This is a little guide on how to respect people, and gain respect.

How to respect others:
1) Don't use too much sarcasm:
Sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet, and some people might take it the wrong way. In order to prevent that from happening, don't use it very often. And when you use it, make sure it's obvious.
2) Don't use offensive language against others:
This includes calling people "retard", "gay" or anything else that can offend someone's race, views, ect. It's even in the rules not to say that, so that's another reason not to.
3) Give people correct information:
Not only is this the right thing to do, but it also raises your credibility. People will believe you more often, and respect you too.
4) Listen to others:
Listen to what others have to say, especially Committee Members, and Advance Members. Most of the time when asking a question, someone will respond with a good answer, so there's no real reason to not listen to it. Also make sure to listen to the Committee Members, as it's their job to keep everyone on topic, and make the WBO a friendly place.
5) Be overall nice:
This is obvious, and goes with everything above, but if you're nice, people will respect you more. Again, this is obvious, but even the most obvious things get overlooked sometimes.
6) Typing matters!:
How you type affects how people view you. People will think of you more highly if you type like a person, and not like a monkey.
7)Don't ask obvious questions, or ones with easily found answers:
Looking around and becoming more independent is always a good way to show initiative, and will make others respect you more. A good way to do this would be through the search bar. However, it's still okay to rely on others when you can't find an answer!

If you follow the steps I listed above, not only will you make the WBO a better place for everyone, but people will respect you too. It's a win win situation!

If anyone has any ideas as to what I can add, feel free to post them.
Proper spelling and grammar. If people cant understand what your typing then its harder to get a good answer.
Hm, might want to bold,italicize, and underline the headings. Also, add colons.

Don't ask obvious questions, or ones with easily found answers:
Looking around and becoming more independent is always a good way to show initiative, and will make others respect you more. A good way to do this would be through the search bar. However, it's still okay to rely on others when you can't find an answer!

^ I would add that.
(Jan. 02, 2012  4:17 AM)Nano Wrote: 6) Typing matters!
How you type affects how people view you. People will think of you more highly if you type like a person, and not like a monkey.

Pretty much covered there, Dark. Smile

I think this is a pretty good guide, Nano! Kind of similar to th!nk's guide to the WBO (some points of it, anyway). Not really anything to suggest right now, but I'm sure I'll think of something later. Tongue_out
(Jan. 02, 2012  4:27 AM)Pockyx3 Wrote: Hm, might want to bold,italicize, and underline the headings. Also, add colons.

Don't ask obvious questions, or ones with easily found answers:

^ I would add that.

Added!
Thanks for that, I forgot, haha.
Don't argue with CM's/Mods/Advance Members?
That would lean in on Th!nk's guide which is about posting properly.
This is about respect.
at point 5 I like the idea, but it doesn't always work. I've been as nice as I can on forums like these, but I recently had to leave a forum for bullying. Some people see it as a sign of weakness and I find this disgusting. I have had haters on here aswell even if you are nice, so I think be nice, but dont put up with people who disrespect you.
(Jan. 02, 2012  2:02 PM)Nwolf Wrote: at point 5 I like the idea, but it doesn't always work. I've been as nice as I can on forums like these, but I recently had to leave a forum for bullying. Some people see it as a sign of weakness and I find this disgusting. I have had haters on here aswell even if you are nice, so I think be nice, but dont put up with people who disrespect you.

I'd agree with you on this point. I left a forum because it wasn't moderated enough. They let peoPle get away with anything just about. I believe you can stand up for yourself and be nice about it.

What the forum you left pojo.com
Good one, Nano. Smile
Its quite similar to th!nk's guide, as many have said.
Suggestion-
Not to be too oppressive? This includes Noob-Bashing stuff too. Smile

But maybe, the point- "Be Overall Nice" might include it. Smile
@Nwolf- You must not avoid people who were disrespectful to you. That's a wrong attitude, which is not beneficial for a community.
I would instead, try my best to win their respect. Smile
I know it is easier said than done, but I have gone through all this too.
(Jan. 02, 2012  3:36 PM)Janstarblast Wrote: Good one, Nano. Smile
Its quite similar to th!nk's guide, as many have said.
Suggestion-
Not to be too oppressive? This includes Noob-Bashing stuff too. Smile

But maybe, the point- "Be Overall Nice" might include it. Smile
@Nwolf- You must not avoid people who were disrespectful to you. That's a wrong attitude, which is not beneficial for a community.
I would instead, try my best to win their respect. Smile
I know it is easier said than done, but I have gone through all this too.

I did not mean avoid them, you have interpreted my point wrongly. I mean be nice too an extent. I mean if people disrespect you don't stand for it, or it could easily turn into bullying, like it did for me.
Ah, that's how.
I am sorry for the misinterpretation...
no problem, happens all the time to me aswell.
Quote:Think before you post;
Ask yourself, "Will this post help people, or insult them? Is this full of fact, or lies? Will this give useful information, or not?". Sometimes, you are insulting people even if you don't know you actually did. Its best to re-read you're whole post, and try to understand it, if it is good for the world to see, or not.
^suggestion^

Very nice, Nano! I like this thread!
I know what it means to me. Serious

Honestly, I really like this thread. Hopefully this thread could be read by newer/less humble members so they may learn to be a well-respected person on here.
(Jan. 04, 2012  11:10 PM)GaHooleone Wrote: I know what it means to me. Serious

Haha just kidding, I R-E-S-P-C-T you. Confusederiously:

Nano, this is well put together! It's kinda funny when I hear "listen to Advanced Members" and I just happen to fit in there.
Edit: Even when I sent a PM to SAM10795, his first reaction was "I can't believe an Advanced Member sent me a PM!"
Like I'm a super genius, haha

Edit2: I don't happen to know how to spell genious though. Genius or genious, I don't know
Genius. And I only get RESPCT? What about RESPECT?

Some members are all gaga when an Advanced Member is there, but don't forget that they're normal people too! Just following this guide would be nice, without thinking that we don't know some common sense at least hah. (coughBeybladeKing1coughcough)
(Jan. 05, 2012  12:43 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Edit: Even when I sent a PM to SAM10795, his first reaction was "I can't believe an Advanced Member sent me a PM!"

As far as I am concerned, every Advanced member is a super genius. At least for me, each of them is. And that's the reason you are 'Advanced' isn't it?
Love this thread.
People really need to read this, would make WBO a better place.

EDIT: You might want to add Being Open minded?
It's kind of listen to others, but yeah.
(Jan. 05, 2012  12:43 AM)Shabalabadoo Wrote: Edit: Even when I sent a PM to SAM10795, his first reaction was "I can't believe an Advanced Member sent me a PM!"

Edit2: I don't happen to know how to spell genious though. Genius or genious, I don't know

Its an honor, you know. Wink
It feels like being chosen as "the special one" who receives a PM from someone who is ever so busy. Tongue_out You guys are normal people yes, but just extraordinary.
And something as unexpected as a PM from someone who's so knowledgeable does make people(I am one of them) go gaga over it. XD

@Ga- You get RESPECT too!
I think Shab meant that you are respected even by those people who foolishly make use of short forms whenever they get a chance. So, you get RESPCT from them, and RESPECT from us. Wink

How about not posting replies from a HOLIER THAN THOU posture or throne. Condescension only loses respect. Never gains it. People come here to join a "community" of others that are interested in beyblades. That right there makes us all equal. *You feel you know more than others? That's great. Good for you. *You feel that just because you are a committee member, *you have a special power to do so? Uh-uh. The only power that *you have is merely that of guidance. No one wants to be corrected in a condescending manner.

Respect is something that should already be in place. It's up to each individual to ruin that for themselves.

*you refers to all of us

Other than that, the OP did a great job.
(Jan. 02, 2012  4:17 AM)Nano Wrote: 2) Don't use offensive language against others:
This includes calling people "retard", "gay" or anything else that can offend someone's race, views, ect. It's even in the rules not to say that, so that's another reason not to.
I just wanna add a little something onto this. I've never seen this word used on WBO, but I've seen it used on multiple forums. But be aware that "carp" is a very offensive word, and you shouldn't be using it.

As you can see from your post, I think we have censored most offensive words already.
(Jan. 05, 2012  10:04 PM)Kai-V Wrote: As you can see from your post, I think we have censored most offensive words already.
Hah, I didn't check to see it was censored. But it's good that it is, as there would probably be a lot of warnings if it wasn't since so many people use that word. (The "bundle of sticks" word)