My Little Pony

I don't have anything against bronies, but, sometimes, they're kinda annoying. Yeah, alright, you like a girl's TV show, you are different, so what ? You don't have to show it to the entire world. You can like it without having to show it to everybody. You can have a passion without being obsessed by it.
I personally know a brony, and everytime I talk to him, soon or later, he talks about the show. Everywhere he go, it seems like he need to share his passion for ponies to everybody, and it ends up being kinda annoying. Don't get me wrong, I don't say that you guys are all like this. I'm just saying that sometimes, it's kinda too much for non-bronies like me.
What MissingNo brought to light with his post gave me a conclusive. But at the same time, I'm not talking about obsessed fans like those in MissingNo's post. This goes both ways

-If you like the show, don't be a virus and ESPECIALLY don't make people uncomfortable with your obsession. I'm a brony myself but I have my attention span split between MLP, Call of Duty, Soul Calibur. Split your attention span so you don't dangerously overshoot your "like" level.

I'm more trying to address the issue to people who think that just because the intended audience is little girls, they think only little girls should watch it. That is opinion. I can and have to respect that.

It's just that they sometimes express their opinion in unpleasant ways [heck, one 11-year-old boy nearly commited suicide after his friends started bullying him for watching the show] and that really ticks me off.

If you like the show, don't be a virus. If you don't, don't be a total prick to those who do.

As for the CMC's cutie marks: For me it makes sense that their cutie marks are similar to each other; they are each a "crusader" after all. Though yes, they can be more creative with the marks.
(Oct. 14, 2015  5:51 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: I don't have anything against bronies, but, sometimes, they're kinda annoying. Yeah, alright, you like a girl's TV show, you are different, so what ? You don't have to show it to the entire world. You can like it without having to show it to everybody. You can have a passion without being obsessed by it.
I personally know a brony, and everytime I talk to him, soon or later, he talks about the show. Everywhere he go, it seems like he need to share his passion for ponies to everybody, and it ends up being kinda annoying. Don't get me wrong, I don't say that you guys are all like this. I'm just saying that sometimes, it's kinda too much for non-bronies like me.

This is a problem that I see (or have seen in the past) a lot with fans of MLP, Minecraft, and, more recently, FNAF, particularly on Youtube. The flame wars started over a single overzealous and/or immature fan are ridiculous. Youtube comments have a reputation for being awful, but the amount of Fan Dumb a single video or comment can whip up is shamefully bad.

Something else that bothers me about a lot of fans (and not just for MLP, either) is that they take something with controversial elements, like gender roles and such with MLP, or LGBT characters / pairings in other shows, and treat the show and the fandom as some kind of social justice crusade. I don't need to justify my liking the show by babbling about some movement to change the public's perception of "manliness" or whatever. Progressive themes aren't a bad thing, but they don't necessarily make the show any better either, and they certainly are not the defining feature of the media they are featured in. I watch the show because I like the show, not because I have some kind of political agenda.

If you don't mind me asking, does your friend have an autism-spectrum disorder? Autistic people (particularly those with Asperger's (me!) IIRC) can become extremely focused and obsessive over a certain topic. I personally have found myself doing that from time to time (though not necessarily with pony) and it can be a little annoying for my friends Tongue_out
It's not my friend, but I would not really be comfortable to ask him if he's autistic, to be honest.
(Oct. 14, 2015  8:02 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: It's not my friend, but I would not really be comfortable to ask him if he's autistic, to be honest.
That's fine, there's no need to bother him about it then. I figured it was worth asking, but it would be horribly awkward to make assumptions about private matters and then be wrong...
Especially considering the fact that he is a Brony.
(Oct. 14, 2015  5:51 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: I don't have anything against bronies, but, sometimes, they're kinda annoying. Yeah, alright, you like a girl's TV show, you are different, so what ? You don't have to show it to the entire world. You can like it without having to show it to everybody. You can have a passion without being obsessed by it.
Amen. I love this post. Great words.
I was oddly Emo for a time in 7th grade; no specific reason to be so depressed. I find it odd, how I basically attached myself to My Little Pony. I watched the first two seasons and enjoyed it. But then I watched like 2 episodes of the third, and found myself bored.

Overall, the show was kind of okay. I found that I only liked the first episodes with actual villains and stuff. A critical sense grew within me the second half of the year; and I realized the show was basically all filler. Plus I saw how annoying the community was becoming online. I got out of that hobby on about 3 months. Just ended up being not my cup of tea, after I looked back on it.

(Oct. 14, 2015  4:59 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: Sonic Fanbases are still horrible though.

Sonic OCs have more cringe, imo
(Oct. 15, 2015  2:08 AM)Neo Wrote:
(Oct. 14, 2015  4:59 PM)MissingNo. Wrote: Sonic Fanbases are still horrible though.
Sonic OCs have more cringe, imo

Here's a fun game, look up your first name + the hedgehog on google images.

i.e. "John the hedgehog"

Why Sonic ? Just why ?

Let's do the same carp but with Mario.
Is that a shaggy Grimace ?

Oh by the way, when I was younger, I used to watch the old movie on VHS. Don't remember much of it though.
(Oct. 15, 2015  2:32 AM)MissingNo. Wrote: Is that a shaggy Grimace ?

Oh by the way, when I was younger, I used to watch the old movie on VHS. Don't remember much of it though.

I'm not entirely sure, I simply found this while looking up some designs and recognized it as the older clearly superior in every way (except in age, lol) mlp.

They are terribly forgettable and really aren't that much to memorable either...
They've been doing quite a few throwbacks to the older generations lately - Tirek and the Shmooze are both from the first generation of the show, and are only now re-appearing in season 4 and 5 of the current (fourth) generation.

Some things got changed up a lot, though:

Old Smooze:
New Smooze:
(Oct. 14, 2015  7:53 PM)Cake Wrote:

This is a problem that I see (or have seen in the past) a lot with fans of MLP, Minecraft, and, more recently, FNAF, particularly on Youtube. The flame wars started over a single overzealous and/or immature fan are ridiculous. Youtube comments have a reputation for being awful, but the amount of Fan Dumb a single video or comment can whip up is shamefully bad.

The huge issue with this being applied to MLP is that it's a space that should've been safe for little girls that's been hugely co-opted online by men who make it a space absolutely unsafe for them. Every cartoon has fandom that takes things way past the boundary, but the scale and impact of what happened with MLP is pretty unprecedented.
(Oct. 15, 2015  4:40 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: The huge issue with this being applied to MLP is that it's a space that should've been safe for little girls that's been hugely co-opted online by men who make it a space absolutely unsafe for them. Every cartoon has fandom that takes things way past the boundary, but the scale and impact of what happened with MLP is pretty unprecedented.

This is actually an issue that I have had to deal with myself - my little sister (who declares herself to be a "brony" as well) who is 10 has started venturing out into the interwebs looking for fan content. Naturally, knowing that the Internet is not generally a good place for 10-year-old anybody to be mucking about unsupervised, I was concerned - particularly since, by looking for fan content, she was deliberately straying from the kid-friendly official content.

I did a Google image search for "my little pony" after logging out of Chrome (to prevent Google from adapting my search results based on my account history) and was not impressed with what I saw. Fanart is present almost immediately at the top of the page, and begins to overwhelm official images before I even scrolled halfway down. Incidentally, the most concerning images were ones that had their search ranking boosted by being included in news articles condemning the fandom for such content, with the particularly offensive images used for shock value / clickbait. There's also a little bit of shipping and some memes, as well as a number of other things that would probably (at best) confuse younger kids. "my little pony coloring pages" (something my sister would often look up) turns up perfectly acceptable results, aside from one image which might indirectly reference something inappropriate (a character may or may not be dressed as a pimp, I'm not sure. I may be discriminating against vests and fedoras, sorry). I couldn't find the original source to confirm, though disturbingly the image is hosted on several sites claiming to be family-friendly.

What's visible here is two stages of a "vocal minority" - first, the brony community as a whole puts out a ton more content onto the Internet than Hasbro and the show's target demographic (young girls) do. Consequently, Google turns up a sea of fan content, because that's really all there is. Hasbro reusing the same few stock images doesn't help, either. The second layer of the "vocal minority" is within the brony community itself - you're much more likely to notice the one inappropriate image than the ten kid-friendly ones around it. Of course, the same applies to kids, so if Google turns up even one bad image on the first page of results, you can bet that a lot of kids will either click on it or be confused and scared. Bronies might be the minority fringe demographic, but since they put out so much content, they really do ruin it for the actual intended audience.

EDIT:
Further research indicates that Care Bears are not exempt from dubiously appropriate content either, though there is far less fan content than with MLP. Oddly, the search for "care bears" turned up an MLP image for some reason...

Thomas the Tank Engine is liberally slathered in memes.

Sonic the Hedgehog turns up less fan content than MLP, but a much higher fraction of what's there is inappropriate. Probably a self-reinforcing stereotype.

Pokemon has an even mix of fanart and official stuff. Some inappropriate content here and there.

Dora the Explorer turns up mostly official images and merchandise, with some fanart and cosplay.

I have no idea what childrens' shows are actually running right now, but R34 stops for no one. A large adult fanbase makes things worse, but there's no avoiding the fact that the Internet just isn't a safe place to wander around in.

Also, by this point anyone monitoring my browsing history through campus IT is probably thoroughly confused XD
Wasn't the original cartoon about some evil wizard guy?
I think I remember watching it once.
Quote:(a character may or may not be dressed as a pimp, I'm not sure. I may be discriminating against vests and fedoras, sorry)

I think that's actually just a brony
(Oct. 15, 2015  4:27 PM)Bey Brad Wrote:
Quote:(a character may or may not be dressed as a pimp, I'm not sure. I may be discriminating against vests and fedoras, sorry)

I think that's actually just a brony

I think that may be you
Getting a little more hipster in here...That or mildly interesting!
Cake is right; I need to search and filter very exclusively when looking for fanart on Deviantart, since so many MLP art are disturbing, overtly suggestive, rude, or any combination of the three.

Things I declare unfit to see:
-sexualized images
-too much gore/violence.

Things I declare fit to see [at least for 15+ year olds anyway, kids shouldn't check this out]
-Kissing [as long as it isn't too erotic]
-Hugging, Cuddling and Snuggling
-Eye contact between friends/romantic partners.
-Staring at the audience [admit it, I have seen pictures of Twilight Sparkle [the pony, not human] staring at the audience with 'bedroom eyes' or w/e it is].

So be wise when searching.
Cake: that's why they tell you to supervise kids below 12 whenever seeing the internet.
Neo: Wow, original sarcasm huh?

MLP vs Sonic is like Protoss vs Zerg: one has lots of inappropriate content spread out over truly enermous amounts of fan content [of which the majority might be appropriate if only slightly] while Sonic has much less but has far more inappropriate content.
i.e if out of 10 images from each franchise, in MLP maybe only one or two [no more than four/five] might be classified mature content. In Sonic, it's probably like over 6, and sometimes even all of them. I've seen it myself.

As a side-joke, I'm sure that if you want to learn to flirt and charm people, take a private course from Rarity [no, no innuendo intended]. She knows how to do it right. This is after "Rarity Investigates!" anyway.
(Oct. 16, 2015  7:13 AM)RDF3 Wrote: Cake is right; I need to search and filter very exclusively when looking for fanart on Deviantart, since so many MLP art are disturbing, overtly suggestive, rude, or any combination of the three.

Things I declare unfit to see:
-sexualized images
-too much gore/violence.

I cannot take this remotely serious anymore.

if it were the official art of the characters being portrayed in such a way. Yeah, I understand the level of aggression but honestly. i wouldn't turn to fan art at all when it comes down to things like this at all. let the fans draw what they want to draw of a series. if we were going to get a little bit more specific. do keep in mind that some art of the following is usually commissions.

(You would not believe the pay for the commissions people would desire really, it's unreal.)
Okay, sorry for that Meta Unhappy . Should we discuss something else?
(Oct. 16, 2015  7:03 PM)RDF3 Wrote: Okay, sorry for that Meta Unhappy . Should we discuss something else?

With the new episode coming up tomorrow, there should definitely be plenty of stuff to discuss then.

I can't wait! Joyful_2
I watch from this website http://www.mlp-episodes.tk/ but unfortunately the latest ones were blued out. Can't watch them.

Do you guys think this will last until season 6 or beyond that? I'm split in between.