IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Massive changes to the BeyPoint System

Hey World Bladers.

I'm not too happy to be writing this, but unfortunately, cheating for BeyPoints has not ceased despite repeated warnings and constant efforts to police the system. We want this to be fair as possible to everyone, but we cannot keep constant tabs on all the cheaters, and a few bad apples can spoil the bunch. So, we're doing our best to keep things fair and fun, but we have to make some concessions.

Effective immediately, free battles are banned for most Bladers. This means that ranked battles only occur in tournaments/events that are approved by the WBO Committee. However, there is an exception: if you have a Blader Passport, you can continue to play the five free battles per month. Yes, this means both Bladers in the battle must have Blader Passports.

I hate to charge for this because I always wanted to keep it free, but the decision has nothing to do with funding. Simply put, cheaters won't pay. Furthermore, accounts that have Blader Passports are far more easily verified as authentic. We're keeping the five battle limit per two players so that the rankings don't become entirely unbalanced in favour of Passport holders.

For those of you that have Royal Faces or Face Booster BLACK Faces but not Blader Passports, I'll allow you to trade them in for a one year subscription for a Blader Passport if you'd like. I want to make this fair for everyone, and I'm really sorry that it's come to this.

The situation is a bit messier than that, though. The rules of the ranking system have changed so much since its original inception, and it was always thought of as a "beta" for the rankings. Now, to solidify the changes, all BeyPoint scores are going to be reset to 1000. Tournaments that have occurred after March 14, 2009 will be reprocessed. No free battles will be reprocessed. This is in order to make the rankings fair for everyone, including those coming in after these severe policy changes.

This was meant to be a surprise, but come the end of the summer the WBO will be undergoing an incredibly large software upgrade, custom-designed for us by one of the developers of MyBB, the software the WBO forum runs on. It will completely revamp the way BeyPoints and Faces are processed, for the better. Because the upgrade is coming so soon, this is the perfect time for us to make this transition. Bringing over all the old scores was a concern for us, but now it will be a lot easier.

Just to make sure this doesn't get messed up, we'll be suspending BeyPoint activity until the new system is complete, which is estimated late August. If Passport Holders still want to battle during this period, they're free to; keep track of the wins and losses and we'll take care of them once the new system is up. And of course, any events during this time will be processed chronologically once the new system is complete.

I know this is going to be a rough transition period for everyone, and I know you guys probably have a lot of questions, so feel free to ask away. We'll keep working hard to make the WBO a fun place for Bladers!
Its not your fault about the beypoints Brad. Simply people who do not obey the rules have caused bladers who haven't done anything miss out. Its a shame. Raykon, Anubis and Josh-jf are going to be devistated.

Also, i am now very curios about the software upgrade.
I'm looking forward to the changes, even if it means we have to wait to up our rankings. This will also have the side effect of encouraging the passport buy.
However, what about those people who don't want to go to tourneys but want to get Beypoints? I can see this as a thing that would discourage people battling for points.
(Jun. 30, 2009  10:20 PM)fragbait Wrote: I'm looking forward to the changes, even if it means we have to wait to up our rankings. This will also have the side effect of encouraging the passport buy.
However, what about those people who don't want to go to tourneys but want to get Beypoints? I can see this as a thing that would discourage people battling for points.

Quote:However, there is an exception: if you have a Blader Passport, you can continue to play the five free battles per month. Yes, this means both Bladers in the battle must have Blader Passports.

I hate to charge for this because I always wanted to keep it free, but the decision has nothing to do with funding. Simply put, cheaters won't pay. Furthermore, accounts that have Blader Passports are far more easily verified as authentic. We're keeping the five battle limit per two players so that the rankings don't become entirely unbalanced in favour of Passport holders.

Please read the full announcement. And before you say, "Well okay, but what if they want BeyPoints but don't want to get a Passport or go to tournaments?" And my response will be, "How many concessions do we make until we end up back where we started?"
(Jun. 30, 2009  10:22 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: Please read the full announcement. And before you say, "Well okay, but what if they want BeyPoints but don't want to get a Passport or go to tournaments?" And my response will be, "How many concessions do we make until we end up back where we started?"

I already did say that.
But I'm not saying that you should make any other consessions, I'm just pointing out the fact.
If there's tournaments in your area, go.
If there isn't, get a Passport.

If you don't want to do either, well, why do you even care about being ranked?
(Jun. 30, 2009  10:32 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: If there's tournaments in your area, go.
If there isn't, get a Passport.

If you don't want to do either, well, why do you even care about being ranked?

I was just making a point. I'm sure there's users here that don't go to tournaments but get ranked. You know, for FUN?
(Jun. 30, 2009  10:34 PM)fragbait Wrote: I was just making a point. I'm sure there's users here that don't go to tournaments but get ranked. You know, for FUN?

This is pretty amusing coming from someone who's supposed to be running a tournament, and also someone who plays Brawl competitively.

Ranking is a competitive aspect. You can play Beyblade for fun without rankings. This is like a Yu-Gi-Oh! player complaining that they don't want to go to tournaments but want a rank in the competitive standings. Anyone who heard that would laugh, so why is it different here?

If you want to play Beyblade for fun, that's cool. Some of us find competition fun, as well. If you want to be ranked but don't want to take the necessary steps to become ranked, you're not that interested in competing seriously, which is fine. But it's also your prerogative, and we don't have some inherent obligation to accommodate it!
That's sad, while it doesn't affect me directly yet, it's sad to know that the honour system can't work with some people.
Comparing the Beypoint system to competitive YGO and Brawl is pointless, as is the point that I'm running a tournament and compete in Brawl.

Brawl/YGO: Pay for tournaments, prizes
Beypoints: Bragging rights

Brawl: Character discussion, rule discussion (theres even a discussion about how many minutes a match should be, and it's huge)
Beypoints: Anything goes

The comparision is invalid, and I'm not going to continue arguing if my points are being ignored when questions were encouraged. I'm just as disappointed with this as you are, but def. not as disappointed as the ranked people will be.
Hey! Did it ever occur to you that perhaps now that the rankings can be proven to be authentic, we can give out prizes for ranking highly? Not to mention we already give out prizes at events for placing?

As for discussion, have you ever taken a look at the Beyblade General forum before? And BeyPoints ... anything goes?

You know what, you're not qualified to run a tournament if you think that.

Please keep further posts relevant to the topic, everyone!
Well this will solve a few problems with the overall system.

Sounds good to me.
Even though this doesn't really effect me, I think that this will be a very good change for everyone in the WBO. I don't feel the people who actually have worked hard for their beypoint's pain so have faith in this new system guys!
Unhappy sorry brad, can't afford to pay for two passports and or convince my dad he should by his own.
Hmm so only those dedicated enough to care will be able to get beypoints. Sounds like it should really help even though it doesnt effect me
(Jun. 30, 2009  11:24 PM)Giga Wrote: Unhappy sorry brad, can't afford to pay for two passports and or convince my dad he should by his own.

To be honest, this is another intentional effect of this decision ... players who aren't competitive (e.g., people just playing for fun, like your dad) won't be able to affect the rankings in a meaningful way. I think this is a good thing.
Giga I imagine you'll get some tourneys near you eventually....don't fret.
There have been, he just couldn't attend.
The BeyPoints system has been cleared.
Brad it was accidental theyre just kidz. And plane tickets are expensive.
jolter648 & the others are ages 12 & under we cant aford anything required.
I understan what you are doing Brad. This would be a good way to stop all the cheaters. Its a shame how much you do for the community and people are taking advantage of what you do for us and cheat.
(Jul. 01, 2009  1:48 AM)viper100 Wrote: Brad it was accidental theyre just kidz. And plane tickets are expensive.
jolter648 & the others are ages 12 & under we cant aford anything required.

So find enough people in your area to do a tournament. We will never be able to please everyone, so we have to do what's best for most.
It's sad that i have to come back to this... I know you had some problems in the past but I never really thought it would grow this big, this quickly. It's a crying shame. Hopefully there will be more tournaments so people can earn more beypoints more easily.

This might be a noob question but I'm guessing we have to pay for the passport via paypal, no?
Quote:If you have Paypal, hit the "subscribe" button below to purchase your Blader Passport now! If you want a Blader Passport but do not have Paypal, you can buy one from a WBO Official at any WBO-sanctioned event. Thank you!
Ok, Thank you!
Firstly, if the system was left free, regardless of what changes took place, there would inevitably be somebody who will come along and abuse it. You can promote the honor system as much as you want, but to many, honor is nothing more than a word.
I personally have mixed feelings on the new changes, more in favor of than against. I partly believe that people shouldn't have to pay to get their battles ranked, but looking at it from a logical point of view, by making the pass mandatory for free rank battling does more good than bad. As mentioned before, the 10$/year fee isn't expensive at all, yet it's enough to discourage those who are less serious about competition, and low enough so that it's not really a problem for those that wish to get competitive. Real competitive types will buy passes, the money from which will all go back for the betterment of the bey community, and to lessening our impact on Brad's wallet. More money results in the further growth of the WBO, meaning more tourneys, events, players. publicity, etc. More tourneys/events mean more places the Pass gives you access to, increasing it's value. More events attract more members, which results in more passes, and the cycle goes on.
I've gone on for a bit already, but forgive me for continuing. The top bladers have been hit hardest, with the scores reverting and such. But honestly, nobody dies because of this. It helps a bit because the elite are knocked from their high rankings [not to sound cruel, i know you guys battled hard for those points] and gives the rest of the community a whack at them. The flames of competition are fanned, and more people want to have rank battles, more passes sold.
The pass shows the kids that come to this site that we're serious about the validity of our competitive endeavors, and that it's not something you screw around with for fun or laughs. You must actually work for your bragging rights. Anyway, i'm done for now. Sorry if half of what i said doesn't make sense, it's late.

Also, the fact that the WBO is getting custom made software shows how awesome we're becoming.
I'm definitely getting a pass at HPT. And now i'm that much more motivated to extract my revenge upon anubis for BBWR.

I talk too much.
@ Brad: Wouldn't it be awesome if you [personally] got something equivalent to tax receipts or something for all the work/cash you put into WBO? I think it's unlikely, but would be awesome.