Here on the island of misfit parts...

As I've familiarized myself with this site I've noticed that members quickly evaluate a beyblade based on it's looks and quickly disregard some or all of it's parts. These decisions are made based on how a beyblade looks/feels, how it performs by itself (i.e. solo spin time), and sometimes with a small amount of testing. What I'm saying is is that people on this site should not judge a beyblade by it's looks, but by how it performs. Luckily some of these parts are being looked at again, but for the longest time they were in the "stay away from these unless you don't have top tier parts" pile. An example of this would be ED145. For the longest time the beywiki stated that it was inferior to C145, which is now outclassed. ED145, however, is now getting close to top tier results. That is confusing to think that the inferior counterpart to a now outclassed part is getting those sorts of results.

The only thing that I can think of, and forgive me if this has been posted in another thread, is that certain parts perform better against other parts. That would explain why ED145 is now doing better than it ever has before. That brings me back to what I started with, shouldn't we consider a part with substantial testing by multiple people against all kinds of other parts before we send it to the island of misfit toys? Honestly...Rudolph thinks so.

Do you think that people throw parts away too fast? Are there many dynamics to this game in the form of underused parts that we just don't see in play competitively? Feel free to discuss.
Yes, though we have so many people preaching the same thing and absolutely no changes are made by users on how to assess parts. I do not think ED145 is a very good example as different parts were used, and it did badly back then and people found it redundant to keep testing a part which did worse than other available parts of the time. it is not as if people completely disregarded ED145 because it looked ugly. I think Pegasis would be a more appropriate example because IIRC it was looked over until recently.
ED145 is already outclassed by R145, to add. But I see what you are saying. But most of everyone here post 20 Round Results so I think t does right to outclass something. Of course unless it has tons of testings by other users showing that it is something to bring back.
I really do think one of the main problems with testing around here is the herd mentality of the less prominent members following what one or two of the more senior members say.
If you'd like to discuss ED145 then check out the thread for it. What I'm saying is that the majority of the overlooked parts are considered outclassed without good enough results.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out a perfect example of what I'm saying: The Inferno metal wheel. The majority of the site does not even have the part yet but it's already been relegated by many to "not worth it." Why? Reasons include the bad history that the legend series has and the fact that it could be similar to flame.
Parts become "misfits" because they perform poorly at the time of their release/testing, or at the very least, they are inferior to other parts that are available, so testing them further as time moves on is a waste. No competitive Blader judges a part solely on how it looks. And some parts–such as Divine, a part which has only been formally tested by me–simply do not need extensive testing done to be sure of how useless they are. Extensive testing by multiple users is preferable, yes, but I don't think that parts are thrown away as easily as you're making it sound like they are.

When parts become declared useless (or inferior to other parts, like ED145. No one ever said it was useless, just that it was outclassed), more often than not, they remain that way.

edit: That's not to say that I discourage experimentation at all, though. I don't. Experimenting is one of the most fun aspects of Beyblade, and more people should start to think for themselves rather than just be fed what "senior" members tell them, but the fact remains: some parts are good, some parts are bad.
(Mar. 18, 2011  6:34 AM)Kei Wrote: No competitive Blader judges a part solely on how it looks.
I do. Rarely do I test my combos before using them. I also create my combos prioritizing colour coordination as high as actual performance.

Speaking of which, I don't know if any of you have also noticed the following trends:

Blue/purple = attack
Gray = stamina/defense
Yellow = defense
Red = Gimmick
White = Stamina/defense

Takara Tomy has made it so you can not know what you're doing and select parts purely by colour and still have a combination that can make someone think you knew how to pick parts. Even the recolours don't stay too far from that mentality. Well done.

Many of the "misfit parts" have a very specific home for countering very specific combos as I've discovered.
(Mar. 18, 2011  6:47 AM)Deikailo Wrote:
(Mar. 18, 2011  6:34 AM)Kei Wrote: No competitive Blader judges a part solely on how it looks.
I do. Rarely do I test my combos before using them. I also create my combos prioritizing colour coordination as high as actual performance.

Ah, I probably should have specified: No competitive Blader judges the performance of a part solely on how it looks. Of course we'll all make judgments of its aesthetics, and also of how we think it will perform based on it's shape (an educated guess which can be quite accurate), but in the end, you cannot truly know a part until you have tested it.
(Mar. 18, 2011  7:00 AM)Kei Wrote:
(Mar. 18, 2011  6:47 AM)Deikailo Wrote:

Ah, I probably should have specified: No competitive Blader judges the performance of a part solely on how it looks. Of course we'll all make judgments of its aesthetics, and also of how we think it will perform based on it's shape (an educated guess which can be quite accurate), but in the end, you cannot truly know a part until you have tested it.
Yes, which is why I still haven't won a tournament.

Maybe I should stop thinking so much like a girl.
I don't think there's anything wrong with matching colors. I love my all dark blue burn susanoo 100sd. It performs great too! Something else I've been thinking about: on the build me a combo thread, instearattlingt rattling off top tier combos that will do well for people does anyone else think that we should begin to think outside the box?
You mean make new combinations? Yeah, if they are good they get put on the list. We thought outside the box for all of those combinations on the list. (Piece testing too.)
I think a good example is 230
Before:230 Sucks
After: 230 IS THE BEY KILLER GOD
I agree with Kei, why parts are considered misfits.... You see, in most cases, first impression is the last impression! No one is gonna go around buying outclassed parts (as stated by our Beywiki and other bey sites) if they have better beys to buy.... The first impression of a bey's capabilities is most important. For example, the Libra wheel was actually capable for 'life after death!!!!!' .....................................................................
..........................CONFUSED!!! Life after death doesn't mean the ability most zombies have, but its capability of becoming an awesome part, even after being banned for so long!!
Life after death is, in fact, part of the half life of a zombie.
Yes, We just accept beys on their looks or design. 145 is often classed as stamina track and DF145 was often considered as top-tier(not now) and now 145 has found use in attack combos.eg-MF-H Meteo L Drago 145 LRF.
Bakushin was considered as attack wheel due to its design and now is considered as Stamina wheel. Burn was considered as Stamina wheel till it was founded it has use in attack combos. Many other wheels,tracks and bottoms were just added to a type by just looking at design. There are a number of examples of this kind. I can present a list about this. H145,WB,FS,Killer,Flame, and many more. I may not remembers many of these parts. Many just look at ratings and tell it is of this kind. This stands true for Pre-HWS and may stand true even for 4D Beys.
True X1, just too many (considered) outclassed parts have found use in the new season beys... It all depends on-
TT, Sonokong and Hasbro who manufacture new beys
one mastermind who invents the combo using the outclassed part with the new parts
Voila! The part is no longer outclassed!
At the same time, one "misfit part" - Rock - can be used for Recoil Attack (if you don't have access to parts like Vulcan, which has some recoil).
Does anyone know anything about UW145? I'm pretty sure that piece got disregarded as well...I know it's similar to SW145 but it looks as though it might actually be better. In fact, I'm pretty sure extensive testing wasn't done for either of those parts...same goes for EWD. The part was tested once and then disregarded because it was at about the same usefulness level as the original WD. One test was all it took for the majority of users here to consider that...exactly my point.
(Mar. 18, 2011  9:14 PM)RayUniD125CS Wrote: At the same time, one "misfit part" - Rock - can be used for Recoil Attack (if you don't have access to parts like Vulcan, which has some recoil).
Rock isn't exactly a misfit, it is a great anti-meta wheel along with Earth..
Vulcan has smash..
(Mar. 18, 2011  3:51 PM)X1 Wrote: Bakushin was considered as attack wheel due to its design and now is considered as Stamina wheel. Burn was considered as Stamina wheel till it was founded it has use in attack combos.

i think that is because there hasn't been much testing on bakushin for attack (or much testing at all)

and burn is still considered a stamina wheel, more so then an attack wheel...
(Mar. 18, 2011  3:40 PM)Shika blade Wrote: I think a good example is 230
Before:230 Sucks
After: 230 IS THE BEY KILLER GOD

I'm pretty sure the "230 sucks" mentality was formed before 230 was released. That was because most people just thought it was a joke with how ridiculous the height was; people didn't stop consider how exactly it would perform until it came out.

(Mar. 18, 2011  10:20 PM)trumpetblade Wrote: Does anyone know anything about UW145? I'm pretty sure that piece got disregarded as well...I know it's similar to SW145 but it looks as though it might actually be better. In fact, I'm pretty sure extensive testing wasn't done for either of those parts...same goes for EWD. The part was tested once and then disregarded because it was at about the same usefulness level as the original WD. One test was all it took for the majority of users here to consider that...exactly my point.

Sure, most people would dismiss UW145 just by looking at it (for obvious reasons), but just because something hasn't been tested yet doesn't mean it is completely disregarded. It just isn't very high up on anyone's priority list to test. Same goes for EWD; I don't think anyone is dismissing it completely saying "it sucks". From the preliminary testing that we've seen, WD is just as good, if not better, so testing EWD has not been a huge priority for many people.
(Mar. 18, 2011  11:28 PM)Kei Wrote: Sure, most people would dismiss UW145 just by looking at it (for obvious reasons), but just because something hasn't been tested yet doesn't mean it is completely disregarded.
Exactly! Parts like this are put to rest because of 1 of 2 reasons.
1. People think that the part will ''stink'' because it is similar to an outclassed piece.
OR
2. People wold think that their is already a great Tier in that section so therefore there is no reason to test it.

So basically R145 is currently amazing, right? Well in this sense, R145 and UW145 are similar due to free spinning, UW145 is dismissed because of this, AND because of past fails in free spinning.
What ? UW145 and R145 are not free-spinning at all. What are you talking about ?
(Mar. 19, 2011  2:09 AM)Kai-V Wrote: What ? UW145 and R145 are not free-spinning at all. What are you talking about ?
Oh sorry! I meant like similar to free spinning, you know large tracks like C145 and H145.
(Mar. 19, 2011  5:18 PM)BeyBladestation Wrote:
(Mar. 19, 2011  2:09 AM)Kai-V Wrote: What ? UW145 and R145 are not free-spinning at all. What are you talking about ?
Oh sorry! I meant like similar to free spinning, you know large tracks like C145 and H145.

H145 isn't free spinning either... and how are they similar to free spinning at all?