GRAND BATTLE TOURNAMENT 2: WBO North American Championship 2014!!!

Hello Kei, I would like to sign up for the standard battle on Friday, tournament on Saturday and Zero-G on Sunday.

Just a few questions:

How many beys should I bring each time?

Can I use a normal Hasbro Metal Fusion/Masters/Fury combo for Zero-G?

Thank you.
(Mar. 11, 2014  8:19 PM)Peece_2012 Wrote: Post: #32
Hello Kei, I would like to sign up for the standard battle on Friday, tournament on Saturday and Zero-G on Sunday.

Just a few questions:

How many beys should I bring each time?

Can I use a normal Hasbro Metal Fusion/Masters/Fury combo for Zero-G?

Thank you.

Hello,

I am not Kei, but he is away at the moment and might not reply immediately, so let me answer your questions :

You could bring as few as one Beyblade per tournament, or you could bring your entire collection of fifty or more Beyblades everytime. It all depends on how many Beyblades and parts you are comfortable with having at your disposition in all the stress of the events. If you build yourself some predetermined top-tier combinations beforehand and that you want to only bring those three or four customizations and juggle with them before each match, that is up to you. There could always be one Blader using a combination you were not prepared to though and then you end up not having any extra parts to try to build something to counter it.

Sure, all Metal Fight Beyblade parts are legal in the Zero-G format. You can consult our Rulebook here :
http://worldbeyblade.org/universalrules.pdf
Hey guys,

While we will definitely talk about this within the Committee probably once Kei has come back to Canada, what do you think we should do if someone wins a qualifier at two more or locations ?

Personally, there are multiple situations to consider, but I woul do this :

- A person tries at their local qualifier and does not win, but goes to win a qualifier elsewhere : no problem.

- A person tries at their local qualifier and does not win, but goes to win two qualifiers elsewhere : whichever is the first of their win gets considered, and the second winner of the other qualifier would be the one we pay travel expenses for.

- A person wins both their local qualifier and another region's qualifier : no matter which one happened first, since we will technically 'ship' them from where they live, we only consider their win in their local qualifier and the second winner in the other region would be the one we pay travel expenses for.

In your replies, try to think selflessly, for the good of the organisation as a whole and not for your region's particular case or whatever, but does what I have written above seem fair to everyone, or should we just consider the first win all conditions ignored and that is it ?
Personally, I've always felt uneasy even about people winning Qualifiers that are not for their local areas if their local area has one - one area hogging the wins, basically, rather than the actual regional qualifier I see this sort of thing as. So personally, I'd be even more strict about it. Of course, that is just my gut feeling, not necessarily the course of action I'd advise - that will require more thought and is probably better left to those more directly involved anyway.
This third option makes the most sense to me, Shouldn't the blader receiving payed travel always be someone local? I understand people who are close to two active areas wanting two chances at this amazingly generous prize. But honestly Most people will be lucky to be close enough to attend one.

What if someone living in say, Australia comes to one of the qualifiers here in the states and wins? (they happen to be in the area on vacation or something) Is the WBO expected to pay that bladers travel all the way from his home in Australia? or just from the state the qualifier was held in.
I suspect the $2000 travel expenses from Australia would be out of the question. Wink
I think that if the said person wins 2, the qualifier nearest him/her should count. It keeps the "best blader of your region" feeling and second place of the other qualifiers should get the paid trip.
We definitely will not pay for someone who does not live in North America, hah. We have not received that many donations to allow that. However, the chances of that happening are slim, and I think any such Blader would understand that they are battling for fun and points rather than for the paid travel expenses.
Although, The Bishop, those were not three different options : they are all situations that can happen, and just my opinion on what we should do for each. You cannot choose one of those situations, hah.

Why we allow people to attend more than one qualifier is because we have the higher, mandatory entry fee anyway, so if they want to pay and participate to the funds twice, go ahead; plus, we must allow everyone to play because if someone from another state or province with no qualifier wants to enter one, they can. As I mentioned somewhere else also, if they win against everybody else in a region that is not theirs, whether they win in their local qualifier or not as well, do they not deserve to be that region's winner ? They appear to have been better than everyone else there for sure ... Ultimately, a North American Championship's goal is to gather all the best Bladers from North America, as many as we can pay for.
To put this into context: Last year, geetster won both the MD and VA qualifiers and ended up basically taking the VA prize in the sense that Stars who was 2nd err 3rd actually (Tech couldn't go) and plays in MD got to go as well.
The issue I can see arising from this is the question of why did Stars get to go instead of whoever took second at the VA qualifier?

This year, Sniper who used to play in New York, but now lives in MD was back up there visiting and happened to win their qualifier. However, Sniper now also has a reasonable chance of winning the MD qualifier on top of it and the same question as should have been posed last year arises. Except, in this case Sniper is clearly now a MD blader (unlike geetster who is a part of both MD and VA). Kai-V, your argument seems to be that if Sniper happened to win the MD qualifier he would be the representative from MD since you would be paying for someone from MD and whoever took second in NY would be the representative from New York despite Sniper's win.

My issue with this: It discourages people from coming to more than one qualifier. If you enacted this, Sniper might purposefully choose not to participate in MD's qualifier for the sake of letting another MD blader join him at Toronto. So, from a purely logical standpoint, it seems like your proposal would end up being mute and you would lose an extra x amount of money in funds raised to cover expenses.

My proposal: Let the winner of the two qualifiers choose which runner-up they would like to give the trip to, as geetster did with Stars last year.
The problem I see with Time's idea is that favortism might be a problem.
Favoritism is an inherent factor, its just if we go with my suggestion we get $5 more.
Eh, we never let subjective factors come into play hah. If anything, it would work with whoever has the most Beypoints between the two runner-ups, not who the other likes best.

By the way, I have no idea what encourages people to play and win at more than two qualifiers already, so having to officially be the winner of your local region primarily rather than choosing it is just what seems fair ...
If we commit a region to be a Qualifier, it is only fair that someone from that region goes to Toronto. Preferably, of course the 1st Placer. We won't take that privilege away just because someone else from another region comes and wins.

Now, as for who goes to Toronto, just from Kai-V's 3 scenarios:

(Mar. 13, 2014  5:51 PM)Kai-V Wrote: - A person tries at their local qualifier and does not win, but goes to win a qualifier elsewhere : no problem.

Yep.

(Mar. 13, 2014  5:51 PM)Kai-V Wrote: - A person tries at their local qualifier and does not win, but goes to win two qualifiers elsewhere : whichever is the first of their win gets considered, and the second winner of the other qualifier would be the one we pay travel expenses for.

Sure. It makes sense.

(Mar. 13, 2014  5:51 PM)Kai-V Wrote: - A person wins both their local qualifier and another region's qualifier : no matter which one happened first, since we will technically 'ship' them from where they live, we only consider their win in their local qualifier and the second winner in the other region would be the one we pay travel expenses for.

This seems to be the fairest solution.
(Mar. 13, 2014  6:21 PM)Kai-V Wrote: As I mentioned somewhere else also, if they win against everybody else in a region that is not theirs, whether they win in their local qualifier or not as well, do they not deserve to be that region's winner ? They appear to have been better than everyone else there for sure ... Ultimately, a North American Championship's goal is to gather all the best Bladers from North America, as many as we can pay for.

This is true, and part of the reason my answer is somewhat liquid. That sort of thing helps in terms of getting the best bladers there, but not in terms of these being proper regional qualifiers - no issue with people who don't have one in their region going to another, but I just don't feel it's all that professional to let people "region-shop" basically. May not provide the best final competition but personally, if I were in a region and I missed out on a qualifier because someone who had come second in another region's qualifier came over and won, I would feel a bit cheated, especially if they perhaps won on parts advantage and I could use going to AN as a reason to stock up on certain important parts anyway... Basically, I would prefer if people could not 'double dip', as even though they pay to do so and may be a better blader than the person who would otherwise win, it just doesn't feel fair to me.

While there's some grey area with nearby regions that are very active and thus really do deserve separate qualifiers, I still feel basically the same way Uwik seems to - that if a region gets a qualifier, the person who goes to Toronto should be from that region. At least, for this year where we have advertised them as regional qualifiers already.
So what I'd do for the three scenarios:

(Mar. 13, 2014  5:51 PM)Kai-V Wrote: - A person tries at their local qualifier and does not win, but goes to win a qualifier elsewhere : no problem.
Top placing "local" at that qualifier goes.

(Mar. 13, 2014  5:51 PM)Kai-V Wrote: - A person tries at their local qualifier and does not win, but goes to win two qualifiers elsewhere : whichever is the first of their win gets considered, and the second winner of the other qualifier would be the one we pay travel expenses for.

Again, only locals.

(Mar. 13, 2014  5:51 PM)Kai-V Wrote: - A person wins both their local qualifier and another region's qualifier : no matter which one happened first, since we will technically 'ship' them from where they live, we only consider their win in their local qualifier and the second winner in the other region would be the one we pay travel expenses for.

Agree with this one.

Ideally, I would limit qualifiers to locals or one per person but then there may be cases where they need outside bladers and it means less funding and people missing a tournament, so going with the top-placing local blader, or maybe doing two separate finals brackets if a non-local places: one for the tournament, of all participants, which gets credits, beypoints, and faces, and a second, locals-only final bracket, which is for the Toronto stuff, but not credits and faces (and presumably not part of the beypoint system but that would depend on your philosophy w/ regards to it). Perhaps something could be worked out with entry fees to those tournaments where seeing as the person isn't playing to qualify, just to compete, they may pay a reduced entry fee or something?
Working out what is someone's "local" qualifier could be difficult but I think common sense on a case by case basis would work out...

So that would provide:

Situation 1: They don't get to go, a second finals bracket is done with the top 3 or w/e locals, winner of which goes to AN.

Situation 2: Same for each individual tournament. The blader being good enough to win two tournaments is a strong argument for their presence at AN, but then if they can travel to three separate qualifiers, do they really need our help to get to Toronto? (Part Rhetorical, Part Legitimate Question - what areas would this be possible in and how much harder would it be to get to AN than to do that in those areas?)

Situation 3: Again, separate bracket is done in the tournament a non-local won, it's just a lot easier in this case because that person is already going.

We've only had one qualifier so far and I think it wasn't affected by this so we could rush through something like what I've suggested at this point IMO, even if it's kinda complicated.
This may be an irrelevant question but what if someone cannot make their local qualifier but can go to a different one, possibly going to win?

Oh and th!nk SniperTM won in NY and he is actually from MD ...
(Mar. 14, 2014  12:05 PM)*Ginga* Wrote: This may be an irrelevant question but what if someone cannot make their local qualifier but can go to a different one, possibly going to win?

Oh and th!nk SniperTM won in NY and he is actually from MD ...

In the case of what I suggested, I would say at most it would need to be considered on a case-by-case basis, because that would otherwise allow people to game the system. Basically - depends how good your reason is, and probably also how developed a person's local area is compared to the regional they want to compete in. At least, that is what I would do.

Dang, really? I hadn't noticed him playing up there/didn't hear he had moved (or if I did, I forgot about it). Well, in that case I'd say that it's too late now (unless he wins the MD Qualifier) and that stands, though I feel bad for NY, there isn't really much that can be done - pulling the rug out from under someone's feet is unprofessional and there isn't really a viable solution that doesn't do that. In addition to that, while I'm not sure how long ago he moved, Sniper was very active in the NY scene for a long time up until what I thought was relatively recently, so as I see it, it could be a lot worse. Still, no point not fixing a problem just because you didn't pre-empt the first instance.

Funnily enough, I actually considered the potential for this problem occurring after this post, but I guess I figured it was probably under control, haha. That'll teach me to open my big mouth more often I guess????
Anybody can say : "Oh, I had a footbal practice or game that Sunday but I was free the other weekend and I really wanted to play". It is as good an excuse as any other ...
(Mar. 14, 2014  2:19 PM)Kai-V Wrote: Anybody can say : "Oh, I had a footbal practice or game that Sunday but I was free the other weekend and I really wanted to play". It is as good an excuse as any other ...
Counterpoint: Sports are dumb spin tops instead.
Seriously though*, in what I've described, I would probably not consider that a good enough excuse (can't think of a good example off the top of my head of what would count as a good excuse right now, though - it'd be a pretty rare thing). That said, if the area they were going to the qualifier for had a better developed meta than their local one I'd be a bit less concerned, but for me, they'd still have had to have attended events in that area in the past - have some history in the area. At worst, they'd be welcome to play in the tournament but not eligible for the trip to AN and them placing (or maybe winning, simpler but not as 'accurate') would trigger the 'qualifier finals bracket' I described.

I know this is kinda overwrought, but it is what seems "fairest" to me based on what I've said so far. It is not a call I would like to make without considering more data/opinions etc in general (as there are various factors that could affect matters), especially as I'm a little unsure about implementing an overhaul of that size this far into the process (though I guess there would be plenty of notice before the next qualifier if it were done in the next few days).

As it stands, it is probably simpler to go with what you described in your post(s), which is basically what I assumed would be the case given how fees are being done and so on, even though I would definitely prefer it if winners were actually 'locals' for their qualifiers.

*Well to be honest I'd probably play in a Beyblade Qualifier that gave me a chance to go to AN over sportsball anyway but I'm probably not the best person to ask and I guess if I had a martial arts grading or something I might pass it up - but in that case I'd probably just accept that with that goes my chance of winning the trip to AN, even if I could make it to another event that isn't my local area.
I mean yeah my baseball game got rescheduled and even if I did go to NC and win I couldn't go to Toronto anyway so yeah.
We've continued our partnership with BeybladeGeeks this year and once again, they have put together a video advertising the championship! Thanks again, guys!

And as is seen briefly in the video, the GRAND BATTLE TOURNAMENT 2 page has recently been put up on the AN website along with the other Gaming event information. Nothing new for those of you here on the WBO, but check it out as well if you'd like! http://animenorth.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=645:beyblade&catid=76:table-topboard-gamesccg-games&Itemid=212
Can u guys hold a qualifier in Illinois Chicago Please. Guys and Coach

Can u hav a qualifier in Illinois Chicago Please
(Mar. 22, 2014  8:01 PM)Coolchris74 Wrote: Can u guys hold a qualifier in Illinois Chicago Please. Guys and Coach
I told you in a different thread that Coach is holding an Illinois qualifier. Read the replies you get before posting.

Anyways, here's the thread.

http://worldbeyblade.org/Thread-Grand-Ra...-Qualifier
That's in Michigan, |Midnight|.
(Mar. 22, 2014  8:15 PM)Tri Wrote: That's in Michigan, |Midnight|.
Woops, nevermind.
Hello im so sorry but unfortunately I wont be able to go do to the fact of problems so
I hope we still can stay in touch thank you in advance.